Anonymous
Years ago

U14 club champs

Who's getting to the final and who’s winning it all?

Topic #45967 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boys Hawthorn would be favourites but it looks like a pretty good field. Lots of medal contenders with the other Vics plus North Adelaide, Centrals, Cairns, Northside, Willetton, Hills. Pool F with Kilsyth, Northside and North Adelaide looks like the pool of death. VJBL runners up, BQJBC Champs, SA Champs.

It's a shame that BA's promotion of the event has been so limited. Yes, it's only u14s, but there should be some consistency year-to-year in how it's managed. One year the champs luck into a trip to NBA Jr Worlds, another year there's not even so much as a meaningful preview or team lists released. Almost all the kids in attendance will only go once, and most will not go on to u16 and u18 AJCs. Give them their moment.

Reply #765012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No team list again...

Reply #765013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Central Districts won SA champs not North Adelaide.

Reply #765019 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Melbourne

Reply #765022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawthorn girls, Hawthorn boys, the double.

Reply #765023 | Report this post

Big V fan  
Years ago

Mckinnon boys hit with injuries. Too bad as they were in with a chance.

Reply #765024 | Report this post

Big V fan  
Years ago

Mckinnon boys hit with injuries. Too bad as they were in with a chance.

Reply #765025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawthorn,... they've got a hell of program going on over there atm. Real credit to all those involved.

Reply #765028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North Adelaide were season premiers

Reply #765031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McKinnon probably a chance to beat Illawarra and Tassie anyway. Big gap between NSW Metro and NSW Country this year.

Reply #765037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

06 born stacked with female talent. 3 outstanding pgs in particular, 1 from nsw, 1 from qld and 1 from wa.

Reply #765038 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

Ranking for this were done off ranking for State Champs where Centrals won. North are so over rated. Great when going well and terrible when things get tough. Hawthorn are good in both girls and boys but Melbourne a chance in girls. Cant see ant teams from Sa medalling

Reply #765043 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

Forestville girls from SA will finish top 8, other SA teams North and Sturt 8-16 bracket.

Reply #765100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know what North Adelaide are like but Sturt girls would be a weak VJL1 team in Melbourne. If they finish in the top 16 there are going to be a lot of terrible beltings in the girls comp. interesting to see if there are any teams that can push Melb and Hawthorn, both very strong teams.

Reply #765109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ipswich in the women I think is pretty good, will test Melbourne and Hawthorn.

Reply #765111 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

Sturt will be closer to 16 than 9 finish and North around 12. Forestville 7th / 8th.

Reply #765112 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Thanks Mum and Dad

Reply #765116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville are average... big but slow Sturt lucky to get there as West had their best injured at the wrong time at State Champs. Sturt poorly coached as well. Will be surprised if any get top 8 unless a good pool works for them

Reply #765117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fake Nostralballmus ^ not speaking in third person.
Also where is Dave asking these kids to be in boomers team instead of Barlow and Gliddon.

Reply #765118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Yeah good point surely there's some 6'3" kid, preferably Sudanese, who can average 18 a game this week and then go to Tokyo?

Reply #765129 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus like Shaggy says it wasn't me

Reply #765134 | Report this post

R@nD0m  
Years ago

Word from coaches at Technical Meeting tonight, games will be livestreamed on the BA YouTube Channel

Reply #765183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ba can't stream a tournament. I’ve never seen a stream done properly by them ever.

Reply #765226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's pretty poor that there's no information at all around what will and won't be streamed. There are livestreams scheduled that don't start, and different courts covered at different times. For parents who didn't make the trip, you're left mucking around with youtube at game time only to find out that there's nothing to see here. But then expecting BA to care about stakeholders would be stupid, wouldn't it?

Reply #765316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On results so far Ipswich girls will struggle to beat Nunawading, who are a long way off Melb and Hawthorn. Sale are good too, not too many teams will push them. Hopefully some non Vic teams will step up and challenge those three.

Reply #765320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Northside look legit in the boys. Early days, though.

Reply #765329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gyesi-bisah in the boys and shiels in the girls, 2 great talents. Both Newcastle hunters.

Reply #765527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good their live streaming the games. Catch all these feral patents on the sidelines acting like fools...maybe it's their proof to take action and really do something about their disgusting outbursts. Or maybe it's proof for the coaches to show parents coaching on the sidelines to shut their mouths when their kid is playing lol

Reply #765555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There sitting for 7 days straight with little time to do anything inbetween, a lot of them lose there marbles along the way.
I remember 1 father brought a dart board and the pRents took it in turns throwing whenever there child's team scored. They added up the points at the end of the game. I’m sure there are alot more stories...

Reply #765557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boys comp looks like having only one Vic team in the top 4. That's a very unusual result.

Nice that the streaming has improved since day 1.

Reply #765604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magic and rangers will,go,through, Supercats very unlucky, best player out against the hunters. Top 3 all on 2-1 record. Last be percentage.

Tigers look superior in the women from what I've seen.

Reply #765605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For sometime Vic basketball has been all about poor player development and jobs for the boys. With massive population and cash available to throw resources they can get away with it and hide the underlying nepotism and backhanded deals.

If you benchmark Vic to some other state basketball programs that are less resourced you will see the Vics are actually not very good.

Eventually if you operate like they have been it will bite you in ass.

Reply #765606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They don't really lose very often at state level. Not sure what you’re on about.
Vic teams are still competitive with most associations only 12 mins away from another.

You have teams from nsw and qld with a massive spread between each and huge populations filtering into clubs and yet still can’t compete.
Gold Coast as an example has 400,000 people filtering into 1 club.

Reply #765609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many vic metro state reps go on to higher levels after juniors though?all about win now where as other stares get to think abit more long term.

Reply #765615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huh?

Reply #765616 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"How many vic metro state reps go on to higher levels after juniors though?"

More than any other state by a mile is how many

Reply #765619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

64 of the last 100 Aussie reps are from vic.

Boomers N.T

6/12 go through any team and it's about the same.
Delly- vic
Mills- act
Sobey- vic
Gliddon- wa
Goulding- tas
Creek- vic
Ingles- sa
Kay- nsw
Barlow- vic
Landale- vic
Bogut- vic
Baynes - nz/qld

Reply #765622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic metro* sorry.
A lot of those are country. Sobey no vic country rep. Landale didn't really play juniors. Bogut well publicised never made vic metro.

Reply #765623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6/12
Lavey-vic
Madgen-sa
Ebzery-nsw
Whitcomb-USA/wa
Ohea-vic
Allen-vic
Talbot-sa
Smith-vic
Magbegor-vic
George-sa
Bunton-England/act
Cambage-vic

Reply #765625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are Rangers any good in the boys side?

Reply #765644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not great, pretty even in boys comp.

Reply #765647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#605, not sure if you were replying to my suggestion that only one Vic boys team will make top 4. If so, it's very likely that Hawthorn will play Dandenong in the quarters, so both can't make semis.

Some really competitive results across the board. Looking forward to the rest of the week.

Reply #765649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

05/06 Aussie team should be good (next u15 oceania, u16 Asia, u17 WC)

Reply #765650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was trying to understand if North Adelaide any good as it seems they beat Rangers

Reply #765652 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

'05/06 Aussie team should be good (next u15 oceania, u16 Asia, u17 WC)'

Thanks Anon. Nostraballmus is interested and asks what do you mean by 'good'? Win medals at World's ? You've obviously seen the 05/06 Spaniard, French, USA, Serbian, Argentinian cohorts then ? This is the basis of your comparison right ? What is it about our cohort that is 'good' in comparison to them ? Or do you mean 'good' in comparison to previous Australian cohorts ? Why is this group better in comparison to say, for example, the forgotten '01' cohort ? Please tell Nostraballmus more.

Is your kid in the group ? Maybe that will make them 'good' ? I do hope you are right.

Reply #765684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watch the games and find out Nostraballmus. Or... you could just tell me who wins the u17wc in 2022.

Reply #765686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NB makes a fair point, though. Even if an u14 age group looks good compared to previous cohorts, that doesn't necessarily translate to good on the international stage. Sometimes an u14 cohort looks good because they're particularly physically mature. There was a boy at 14s last year who looked like a sure-fire future superstar. This year he's not playing basketball. Watching u14 games isn't exactly a recipe for figuring out whether a group is going to medal at Worlds in 3, 4, 5 years.

Reply #765697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nostra I'll give you a few thoughts as to why 05/06 will be pretty decent. Who knows what the rest of the world look like but the recent U16 nationals saw 2 Vic metro bottom age players play heaps of minutes and put up great numbers NSW country best player bottom age. Bottom age being 05. Shot 53%. 45% from 3. NSW metro bottom age players some of the highest contributors. No my kids is not one of them. These kids are mostly guards so not some man child who will get out grown. For bottom age gaurds to dominate their teams at a nationals you can be pretty sure they are decent.

Reply #765703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure that I agree with you, #703. Yes, NSW Country's best player was a bottom age guard, but his older brother was NSW Country's best player at bottom age u16 level, AND a national champion. The older one's not exactly setting the world on fire these days, is he? The two Vic Metro boys look like outstanding prospects, I just disagree with the notion that you can project the medium- or long-term success of kids this age.

The list of kids I've seen dominate or look spectacular at u14 Clubs only to disappear by u18s, let alone seniors, is longer than your arm. There are plenty who look great at this age and do turn into stars, but figuring out who will or won't is not an exact science. The assumption that because a kid scored a lot of points at one tournament as a 13-year-old, he will play for Australia, just creates unnecessary pressure and disappointment.

Reply #765731 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus appreciates the informed musings of the above posters.

"I just disagree with the notion that you can project the medium- or long-term success of kids this age. Nostraballmus agrees with this disagreement.

Nostraballmus adds the the biggest determinant of 'good' at this age is always and simply physical development and maturity in comparison to peers. So it don't tell ya anything. Even 'smalls' who might 'dominate' at this age group are advanced physically (strength, power) to their peers if not tall.

OK then, great Ballmus, tell me, what should our national talent ident programme look like ?

1) Over 6 foot 4
2) Can run, jump
3) Does stuff for others
4) Able to learn to shoot the sh*t out of it

Ballmus suggests we try this for the 05/06 cohort and they might get 'good' enough to win an Olympic medal in 2032

Reply #765737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

???

Reply #765742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've watched every single game so far. Early on.. my thoughts are

There are no quality pgs in the girls 05 group. I think both 06s who top the stats will be the 2 bottom agers in the next sapphires squad.

For the boys, I only see the Newcastle top scorer making the crocs team. the rest should,be top age.

Reply #765743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of these kids are eleven years old. Anyone who thinks they can spot for sure who will succeed from this age group doesn't umderstand basketball or child development.

Reply #765745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think,history shows that you are wrong, go,back ten years at state level,and those that are on top of the pile even at that age are the same player thriving today. Not all but the majority, yes.

Reply #765747 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Ballmus says assuming the top scorer keeps playing the round bouncing ball. Nostraballmus fortells that crocs from varied oval balls will be circling if they haven't struck already

Reply #765749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under 14 Basketball gives absolutely no indication as to potential future stars. The best teams simply have the most mature players. Men vs Boys literally.
Perfect example is the Melbourne Tigers Boys from 2010. It could be argued that they were one of the best teams ever to compete at the U14 Club Nationals. 7 of their 10 players played for a Vic Metro team. These guys are turning 22 this year and if they were going to be good they should be making their mark now.
The was only one who went on to play at a high level and he quit to play AFL. Most of the others quit as the rest of the competition matured over time and it all became too hard for them.
The best teams at this competition have an unfair physical advantage and in most cases the superstars in under 14s disappear over the next 3 to 4 years.
Very few of them understand what it takes to succeed and as such they do not develop a work ethic. This is because they don't need to as their physical strength by itself allows them to win.
Those that do make it understand that they have to work as rest of the competition matures and the playing field levels out. They are very rare.

Reply #765751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

747 you are exactly the type of person the post above you was referring to.

Reply #765752 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

747, Nostraballmus says check this list of household names (bar one)

Top Scorers 14's Nationals Boys

Isaac White
Joshua Hannon
Cooper Hamilton
Filbeth Abonga
Jason Go
Lachlan Rennie
Edward Warrington
Jakob Shaw
Andrew Panayioutou
Stuart Lade
Gabe Hadley
Jhdara Jones
Nikolas Desantis

Darcy Crocker
Shaun Pritchard
Kyle Clark
Zachary Kilby
Abi Akintola
Dennis Maluto
Michael D'Agostino
Blake Hardwick
Rhys Mackean
Stanley Jnr Morris

Samuel Johns
Michael Luxford
Mirko Djeric
Jack Mackenzie
Dylan Hogarty-Doyle
Brendan Little
Dante Exum
Keelan Ward
William Soonalole
Zak Pantelis

Reply #765754 | Report this post

R@nD0m  
Years ago

QLD guaranteed at least one medal in the boys with both Northside and Southern Districts getting into the Semis in the boys

Reply #765786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#747 you're nuts. I hope you don't have anything to do with kids this age.

#751 is spot on. I remember that Tigers team, their captain was ridiculously good. I've seen better players at u14 level but few kids who impacted winning in as many ways as he did. I don't even think he made the Vic Met team by u18 Nationals. The Dandenong team that won Clubs two years later had 4 or 5 kids who looked like 16- or 17-year-olds. And they were good, but it's so hard to sustain when you're used to that sort of physical advantage. Two big boys in Josh Green's Hills team that took bronze that year, too, who never really went anywhere. It would be interesting to split the age group on a weight basis and run an u14 Nationals for kids <65kg and one for kids over. I think you'd see about the same number of 'elite' players come out of each group.

As to this year, though, great showing for the Qld boys. Tough draw for Northside going undefeated and copping Hawthorn in the semi. Those two have looked like the two best teams, from what I've seen.

Reply #765824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be...

Girls
Tigers over sonics
Magic over waves
Tigers champs

Boys
Magic over wizards
Spartans over hornets
Magic champs

Reply #765849 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

@Nostraballmus

That is a very telling list indeed. Nice one.

Reply #765867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawthorn girls are quite a bit better than Melb, they should win the whole thing pretty comfortably. Only hope for Melb is that they are so well coached, maybe Ray can come up with something. They have to get through Sale first though, who have beaten them this year.

Reply #765917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you ask Ray he is a good coach but I think he is average and enjoys intimidating refs. Choked last year big time with the "dream" team.

Reply #766073 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

I wasn't far off with my SA team predictions

Reply #766074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very little separating those three teams at the top in the boys. Should make for some great AJCs in the next few years.

Reply #766316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So...
hornets(nsw) beat magic(vic) for gold, wizards(qld) beat Spartans(qld) for bronze in the boys.
Magic(vic) beat tigers(vic) for gold, waves(qld) beat sonics(vic) for bronze in girls.

Reply #766325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was there an amnouncement where they will ne held next year?

Reply #766340 | Report this post

Big V  
Years ago

BA has said they will be in Victoria again as they want them to be held with boys and girls together at one venue as has been the case for the last few years. With that in mind your candidates would be Geelong, Werribee or even a Bendigo if they keep with the regional theme.

Reply #766341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently Ballarat locked in for a few years because of the new stadium

Reply #766352 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

The gold medal match was an absolute cracker. The lads on both teams did a great job.

Reply #766361 | Report this post

JMac  
Years ago

Been told by someone from BA directly, they will stay in Victoria 100% but there was absolutely no long term deal done with Ballarat. Multiple associations in both Vic Metro and Country have submitted EOI to host next year. Same person advised that 16s will be heading west.

Reply #766365 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

I think any area that has invested in a new stadium and / or infrastructure should put their hand up for a national tournament.

Reply #766376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think Werribee should be next.

Reply #766378 | Report this post

JMac  
Years ago

Where is the accommodation in Werribee to house 48 teams plus supporters?! Most will have to stay in the western suburbs or in geelong, in which case given their new stadium along with the arena just up the road, as well as corio bay as a training facility, then it would be far more logical for Greater Geelong Basketball to host next year rather than middle of nowhere with zero accommodation Werribee

For mine the options are Geelong, Bendigo or Albury-Wodonga

Reply #766510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Albury lol.

Nothing wrong with Werribee with some foresight.

Reply #766517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Albury had the boys a few years ago and was fine. Add Wodonga and it's a good cross-border option. If

Reply #766575 | Report this post

Big V  
Years ago

Sorry but Alb-Wod is not an option in terms of infrastructure needed to host boys and girls 14s. Aside from the fact it's a further couple of grand to get to travel wise for interstate teams as well as both facilities are showing their age, then it shouldn't be considered compared to some of the better options we have in this state of ours. I say it either has to be Bendigo or Geelong, with Bendigo getting my vote given they had school sport nationals there this year and have proven they can hold a tournament of that magnitude both on and off the court.

Reply #766630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballarat has the 16s next year

Reply #766658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry meant 18s

Reply #766660 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

How do you know this when it hasn't been announced formally by BA. The only venue they've announced is Canberra for 20s. And if that is the case then surely other states should get to host 16s and 14s then not just Vic centric mentality because BA are based there

Reply #766663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://australia.basketball/blog/2019/10/07/ballarat-set-to-host-2020-australian-under-18-championships-and-kevin-coombs-cup/

Reply #766665 | Report this post

Rusty Gates  
Years ago

2020 Nationals

20s - ACT
18s - VIC
16s - WA (Confirmed its either Joondalup or Warwick - Maybe someone in the west can confirm)
14s - QLD / SA / NSW / TAS

Have heard Mackay pop up a few times for the 14s Boys. Candlestick Park could only hold three courts in a nationals format setup so would that mean another QLD assoc gets girls then?

Reply #766676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warwick for u16s is what I've heard.

Reply #766679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big V, shiny new venues are nice, but some associations with older ones do a terrific job hosting. I've been to two AJCs in NW Tassie, for example, and found them both excellently run. Darwin isn't exactly the flashest venue but also do a great job as hosts. NW Tassie is no easier to get to than Albury-Wodonga, either.

I hope other posters are right, though, and 14s will move away from Vic. The SA, NSW and ACT teams all make the trip to Melbourne for Classic, and a lot of those kids are down there for Southern Cross as well these days. Vic might be the heartland of Australian basketball, but that doesn't mean no one else is worth a damn.

Reply #766689 | Report this post

Big V  
Years ago

Apologies Anonymous, my post was not meant to insinuate that you have to have a shiny new stadium to host an AJC, far from it! Mine was more in regards to court space in terms of being able to host the 14s Tournament in one location which BA obviously prefer to do in recent years - so at a minimum you would need a 10 court stadium to run five courts with adequate seating etc. With that in mind, the only stadiums I could think of would be Geelong and Bendigo that have adequate accommodation infrastructure as well but given that Ballarat has just been awarded 18s next year, as you so eloquently put it one would hope that BA are indeed sharing it around and maybe for 2020 they have to have the 14s at separate locations.

Reply #766708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 14 clubs should be shared around and not just be in Victoria. The last thing the Vics need is a home state advantage.

Reply #766753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big V, thanks for clarifying, no apology necessary. I probably responded a bit harshly because there are a few Vic posters who seem to think that it's the only part of the country that matters, so I jumped to conclusions about your implications. My knowledge of Vic venues is not exhaustive, so I'll take your word that if it were to stay in the state, those two are the best options.

Reply #766763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hate to break it to all you inferior interstaters but the U14 Nationals are staying in VIC. To go with BA's new model of sites hosting for two years in a row, expect an announcement soon that Geelong United have been awarded the tender to host the boys and girls club nationals for 2020 & 2021. As mentioned in an earlier post, games to be split between AWA Stadium and Geelong Arena with Corio Bay to be used as a training facility.

Reply #766796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ridiculous if true. QLD, SA and WA teams pay 25-30k per team atm to travel to club champs. BA need to think more than just about looking after their own 'home state' associations and share their NATIONAL Championships around all states for all ages. Five years in a row it has not left VIC - Either make U14 Club Champs a truly national event again BA or find staff who will.

Reply #766858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New stadiums get guaranteed ajcs or club champs.
Build it and they will come.

Think north Adelaide will get one soon.

Reply #766861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given it is fairly well known now that 16s will be at Warwick (WA) and 14s will be at Geelong (VIC), why doesn't BA just come out and make it official already.

Reply #767884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone heard anything further about the venue for Under 14 Nationals for 2020? Must be an issue if it is taking this long to announce.

Reply #784063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casey

Reply #784066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this 100%? Do you know why it hasn't been announced?

Reply #784067 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If Casey is true then that is nuts. It is hard enough to find group accommodation for five or six teams in the South East, now you expect 32 teams plus supporters to be able to find sufficient accommodation within 20km. I am glad I am from here as I imagine the backlash from interstate teams once they figure out how isolated the stadium is in terms of accommodation, will be very strong and consistent from travelling teams

Reply #784077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We've heard Geelong, Casey and Mackay. The latter is probably the far likely out of the three venues unless it is just for boys or girls. It is somewhat interesting that BA have not come out and said the venue given they have announced the others for this year, makes you wonder if there have been some issues with associations who have been shortlisted

Reply #784089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That should have read 'least likely'

Reply #784090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many courts does Mackay have?
07/08 athletes?

Reply #784091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mackay is not viable. Two Courts on one side of the stadium including the showcourt, three on the other with limited seating. Basketball Australia have also said they would prefer U14 Club Champs to be in Victoria. It will be out of Geelong or Casey and if there is any sense in the world in terms of infrastructure and proximity of amenities, the choice should only be Geelong. Sure the kidlettes will freeze down on the Bay, but it is far better than having to drive 45 mins after each game only to stay in Frankston.

Reply #784096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word direct from members of their board, expect Casey to be named as the 2020 & 2021 U14 Club Champs Hosts within the next two weeks. Plenty of accommodation options nearby despite what others claim on here.

Reply #784188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a potential coach at this tournament this year, it is worrying that despite all of the rumours that nothing has officially been announced yet. Why the delay

Reply #784741 | Report this post

Cavs Coach  
Years ago

It is fairly common knowledge around the association [Casey] that we have been selected as the U14 Host Association for the next two years [2020 and 2021]. No idea why it has not been made public as yet but it is definitely a done deal.

Reply #784915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No planning at Geelong so hands up it Caaey

Reply #784927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No planning at Geelong so hands up it Caaey

Reply #784928 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Has this tournament been taken off the Nationals calendar? No word of a venue for 2020 and no update on website since the 2019 Finals. Could this be the end of Club Champs?

Reply #786958 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

The strength of basketball in the US derives from fanatical grass roots support for local teams featuring local athletes playing other communities across the nation. Is it not that the standard of basketball is all that high, is the extent to which local supporters are vested in their local club that makes the contest exciting.
The Aust U14 club champs is a tournament that has those elements - in what other sport can you get else Frankston playing Bankstown; or Manly playing Norwood; or Forrestville playing Willetin? The matchups are endless; and for many kids - taking place before studies gets too serious - it could represent their peak team sporting experience. I am a little surprised that the event does not receive more sponsorship interest.

Reply #786971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it should be held outside of victoria.

Reply #786978 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

At this point and time I think if you are one of the teams who will have a chance of qualifying for the tournament, you would not care which state is in so long as Basketball Australia just announce a venue to prove it is indeed happening!

Reply #786984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Red84,

Those things can happen at numerous tournaments. Classics and Nunawading tournament in June. Norwood Easter tournament in Adelaide or even the largest tournament in the world which is happening over the Australia Day weekend in Melbourne.

Reply #786987 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

Anon 987 We are blessed with a number of great tournaments that you mentioned. Of this list, the Queens Birthday weekend Classic is - IMO - the most significant.

My perspective to ask what event will generate broad interest of a local community - like Coffs Harbour or Taree - BEYOND close relatives of the players involved.

For this i would argue the tournament needs focus and a simplicity, which we see in the U14 club champs. One division, one age group. Having 4 age groups, with - sometimes - multiple divisions (A, A reserve, B etc) , presents as a wash.

Put yourself in the position of a local newspaper editor - particularly one located in a country town - how saleable is the story?

Reply #786992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those clubs and therefore kids aren't getting regular opportunities at 14 Clubs and neither are those regions as they aren’t large enough with the necessary facilities to run that competition.

The other tournaments are far more significant as they allow all levels of players to participate.

That said, 14 clubs is a great tournament which serves clubs and up and coming played well. Just not for the reasons you’ve put forwards.

Reply #786993 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

Anon - your instinct is to value youth participation in our great game. I agree.

This is a worthy goal that needs to be backed and IS backed by the design of the tournaments you mention.

I am just saying I think there is a benefit to the game - within a busy competitive calendar full of tournaments of the type you mention - that stands a better chance of focusing broader community interest.

Reply #786999 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I tend to agree with Red. Given that the National Classics dont have teams from the west involved, for whatever reason, then Club Champs are the only opportunity for our youngest representative players to play each other in a club v club format. We in SA love club champs as the competition to just qualify for the tournament, let alone the tournament itself and the new friendships made by players and coaches alike, are more than enough of a reason for the tournament to remain. Whilst nothing official has come out of Basketball Australia that the tournament has been cancelled, the clear lack of communication given all other venues have been announced and in years past it was common for the following years venue to be announced within a week or two of the completion of the tournament, if not at the closing ceremony, it definitely does not bode well that our national governing body are quieter than the proverbial mouse in relation to club champs. It really would be a devastating blow to junior development and club pride if it was to be removed from the Nationals circuit.

Reply #787007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I highly doubt it would be canceled. Allocating it to cranbourne for 2 years in a row isn't going to help though. Hard to think of a less exciting place to go to 14 clubs create a lot of promotion Australia wide via local media and fundraising.it is not just about the tournament. There is also a lot of junior development put into u12/14 age groups that would disappear if 14 clubs didn't exist. Melbourne and Albury already get to hold events. Other events should be spread outside of the 4 hour radius from melbourne.

Reply #787029 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

But again nothing aside from hearsay has said that Casey have actually been selected as host for the next two years. I would hope it has not been cancelled but the longer we do not hear anything, the longer the question needs to be asked.

Reply #787033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have a very different opinion on the club champs. I hope its abolished! Its timing is terrible, Vic kids who play in it get literally no down time between seasons, and because there are only 4 clubs that go each year it is a major cause of club hopping and team stacking, which has a negative impact on the VJBL competition.

Reply #787035 | Report this post

Ranger  
Years ago

So we should get rid of a quality tournament which allows 80% of its participants the chance to play at a National Championships which they otherwise wouldn't do, all because of its time of the year and that clubs are accused of stacking teams. You just sound like some jaded parent who couldn't swallow the fact that little johhny / jenny and her cronies weren't good enough to qualify. Suck it up princess. 14s is probably the most worthwhile out of all of the Nationals as it prepares kids for 16s, allows kids to represent their clubs and also is the most relaxed atmosphere off court than the older national champs. If we were to abolish any of the nationals tournaments, then surely 20s has to go. If you're not in NBL1 or similar by the time you are 18 / 19, or off to college already - maybe basketball isn't your future. How many 'stars' have gone onto great things from attending 20s. And who wants to attend a tournament which is in the middle of summer and even worse if held in WA or NT given their climate.

Reply #787036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually Easter of even January can have clubs from the west attend if they wanted too.

The different in cost per person compared to for Adelaide teams would be about $300 per person. Some clubs in Adelaide send 20 teams worth of families over. No reason WA teams could do the same. And some do.

Agree re the point about 14 clubs. But it's only a select number of participants. January, Classics and Easter have opportunities for player who don’t get selected in State teams, or whose club doesn’t qualify for 14 Nationals.

Reply #787037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Make junior classic bigger and introfduce u14 AJCs

Reply #787040 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

#787037 - WA clubs don't attend Classics due to their season already being on over that weekend and from what my friends over there tell me, Basketball WA do not have any plans to change the fixturing for their clubs to attend.

In terms of 14s, BA has always named venues in the previous calendar year. The fact they haven't does give some merit to the theory that club champs is indeed not a guarantee from now on. Hopefully we have some answers soon, I am sure the local powerhouses like Norwood, Norths & Forestville will be awaiting some kind of news thats for sure.

Reply #787042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scrap scc and acjbc.

AJCs
U14
U16
U18
U20
National junior classic U12-u18 clubbing teams

Reply #787044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agreed u20s could or should be removed. too many of the top players in the usa at college now. rather pointless event. Basically used by players and others as a recruiting event for college.

Who in their right mind wants to go to Melbourne in June?

Reply #787063 | Report this post

Anonymuss  
Years ago

Whilst its great to get all this input and feedback regarding the different tournaments, today's refreshment of this topic highlighted the very valid point that those in charge at BA of Nationals Champs are either twiddling their thumbs ahead of U20s in the nations capital next month, or the simple fact that we have indeed lost the 14s Club Champs from the schedule. We need and deserve answers to when will we be told where it will be held, or if it has been cancelled then why?

Reply #787068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

14s are no longer supported by the High Performance staff of the majority of state bodies, as those governing bodies make no money from club champs. It's been coming for a while but make no mistake about it, BA will be announcing that U14 Club Champs will be discontinued from 2020

Reply #787259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alot of blowup over literally nothing. If BA haven't said anything by now then you would have to assume that 14s are still on, given they're not for another nine months there just hasn't been the need to rush venue announcements. Unless someone has heard directly from BA then it's all rumours and innuendo at this point.

Going with the logic that they will be on like usual, which are the boys teams we think will likely qualify from each state?

SA: Norwood, North, South
QLD: Townsville, Brisbane, Southern Districts, Cairns
VIC: Keilor, Eltham, Dandenong, Hawthorn, Casey (Hosts)
WA: Warwick, Willetton, Rockingham
NSW: Sydney, Hills, Norths, Canberra, Albury

Reply #787482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't get your knickers in a Knot Ranger, I'm sure mummy still loves you. The timing is terrible because the kids who play have zero time between the end of the tournament and start of tryouts for the next season, the season is too long as it is, the stacking that it causes has a deleterious affect on competitions the other 51 weeks of the year. Its also not a proper National Championship because it doesn't have all the best teams, they would be better off expanding SCC and trying to get all the States involved. What benefit is it for the majority of Interstate teams getting belted in most of their games. The elite kids should get a chance to play each other, this is just the wrong forum for it.

Reply #787501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SCC should be called "Fake State ". Leave the 14s alone.

Reply #787513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

787501 - So the kids have a long year, who cares. 14s is unique because it is club vs club not state vs state. That is the beauty of it. To lose that for another state vs state competition would be just plain stupid given there is already three of those available to kids as they go through the different age groups. And for the record some states don't pick the best players and or coaches for SCC either so that argument to expand that tournament is also ridiculous. Not saying I agree with ranger on all their points, but the argument they made against your previous post was a pretty valid one. If you dislike 14s so much that's fine, don't attend. But I can guarantee having been a few times that the vast majority of clubs that qualify and in particular families and are realistic and know this will more than likely be the only time their child attends a national championships. That alone should be a huge reason why the tournament will remain as it is and has been for over three decades now.

Reply #787516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every parent of a kid who plays basketball should worry about them playing year round with virtually, or in the case of those who go to Nationals, actually no off season. It's fact that this is a major cause of injuries and kids losing interest. The Classic is a national tournament and so is the Eltham Dandenong, both are also also higher standard competitions because they have more Vic teams.

Reply #787544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Classics is not national. Unless your ideology is WA doesn't count. As highlighted above by Anon, they don't attend because that weekend is a fixture weekend for them with their own season over there. Again, you show your lack of facts. Perhaps you should change your name to TrumpBallFan for accuracy purposes.

Reply #787546 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

One of my kids attended both the U14 clubs and the newly formed SCC in 2018 and was a starter. The workload of attending both comps was not a problem; there was a spacing of several months between these events. If she wasn't chasing a ball around the court she would up to mischief at the mall or forever on her phone. The SCC is designed for state bball authorities to independently identify talent early and give them exposure to state development programs. It is a good initiative particularly for country ballers. But - as i mentioned elsewhere, the 14 clubs is one of most enjoyable tournaments your child is fortunate enough to be involved.

Reply #787555 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

Well said Red.

Reply #787787 | Report this post

news  
Years ago

Boys and Girls at Casey

Reply #787791 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

News... where is the link?

Reply #787805 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There isn't one.

Reply #787812 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

That was my point kobe. People need to stop with all the rumours unless they have proof of an announcement. BA have at least updated the link on the nationals page to show 14s and 2020 without a date in the box but at least it shows there will be a tournament for those who were questioning whether it would go ahead or not

Reply #787815 | Report this post

news  
Years ago

No release but I asked someone I knew at Casey and they confirmed, just not the dates.

Reply #787851 | Report this post

Cavsman  
Years ago

5th - 10th October 2020
Under 14 Boys and Girls National Club Championships
Casey, Victoria

We look forward to having you all in our beautiful part of the world!

Reply #788029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Victorian schools commence term 4 on 5th October so I doubt these dates are correct.

Reply #788048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes correct but Vic holidays go a week earlier than all other states. Wish BA would justa nnounce it

Reply #788063 | Report this post

Cavsman  
Years ago

To get the whole tournament at the same venue, these were the dates agreed upon by the assoc and BA

Reply #788176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just what the u14 nationals need, an extra victorian team in the draw. That position should be allocated elsewhere.

Reply #788184 | Report this post

news  
Years ago

Perhaps they need to go to the old days and just have the 16 teams.

Reply #788190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So only 2 of the 6 states get to host a national tournament. Is someone getting a kickback somewhere.?

This on top of other major tournaments such as Eltham and classics.

Is the person making decisions from Victoria? Sa, Qld, nsw get nothing

Reply #788207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am Victorian and even I think the current situation of allocating Nationals is an absolute joke. I can not remember the last time that 14s was held outside of Victoria, it has to be at least five years if not more. BA being based at the SBC also doesn't help with BV literally just across the hallway - It's not hard to see why other states would despise us based on this cosy arrangement alone. For it to be a fair and just system moving forward, I think something like the following equal rotation scheme needs to be proposed and agreed upon by each of the relevant state governing bodies and BA:

2020: 14s - VIC; 16s - WA; 18s - VIC; 20s - ACT
2021: 14s - VIC; 16s - WA; 18s - VIC; 20s - ACT
2022: 14s - NSW; 16s - QLD; 18s - SA; 20s - TAS
2023: 14s - NSW; 16s - QLD; 18s - SA; 20s - TAS
2024: 14s - WA; 16s - ACT; 18s - NT; 20s - VIC
2025: 14s - WA; 16s - ACT; 18s - NT; 20s - VIC
2026: 14s - QLD; 16s - SA; 18s - TAS; 20s - NSW
2027: 14s - QLD; 16s - SA; 18s - TAS; 20s - NSW
2028: 14s - NT (Boys Darwin / Girls Alice); 16s - VIC; 18s - ACT; 20s - WA
2029: 14s - NT (Boys Darwin / Girls Alice); 16s - VIC; 18s - ACT; 20s - WA
2030: 14s - SA; 16s - NSW; 18s - QLD; 20s - TAS
2031: 14s - SA; 16s - NSW; 18s - QLD; 20s - TAS

That's the next decade planned out with each state getting to host each of the major tournaments equally. This VIC centric mindset by PM, RN and the rest of the national governing body needs to stop

Reply #788214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am not Victorian.

BA rewarding BV and the Vic government for the funding and infrastructure development going into basketball down there makes sense.

BA deciding that the boys and girls need to be at the same venue for Club Champs does not make sense. A large majority of facilities in the country that are capable of hosting 48 teams are in Victoria. 48 teams in one place increases pressure on accommodation, flights, rental cars, and local facilities in a way that 24 do not. Even venues that have enough courts to schedule the games don't necessarily have enough parking, etc. It's also disappointing that the girls don't get their own showcase event: their grand final is played as a curtain-raiser for the boys, which is true in 16s/18s/20s but it'd be nice to wait until they're 14 or 15 before we drum that message into their skulls.

Club Champs have a ton of merit in that they provide a genuine national tournament (non-Vic participation at E/D and Classic is hit and miss) for many high-level juniors but without increasing the number of teams they're committed to. Making u14 a state-based comp would require 12-year-olds to train with a domestic side, club side, and state team, with some also playing school basketball as well. In many cases that might equate to six or seven training sessions and 2-3 games per week, which is unarguably too much structured basketball. The club-based tournament means more participation and an opportunity for many kids who will never get to go to an AJC.

I would point out that the allocation of spots at Club Champs has been tweaked in recent years, to the detriment of the Victorians. We went through a stretch where there were 22 allocated bids, a host bid, and a bonus spot for the state that won the year before. That's still roughly the case, but previously, where any of the 22 allocated bids were turned down (say, NT South couldn't field a team, or the host qualified through their state protocol), the vacant spot was offered chronologically to 2nd-, 3rd-, 4th-placed teams from previous years. If memory serves that resulted in a 2009 boys tournament with 7 Victorian sides (4 regular bids, host, bonus bid for winning year prior, bonus bid for coming 2nd year prior). Now, if extra bids are created, they're not offered to a second Victorian side until additional teams from all other states turn them down.

Reply #788220 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Another week passes and still no announcement from Basketball Australia. Those in the know with Casey people know why the delay at all? WA will be the first to have their qualification tournament in a little over a month yet at this rate will still not know where and when the tournament will be held.

Reply #788478 | Report this post

news  
Years ago

Renee Norris at BA handles this...

Reply #788494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can BA get rid of club champs already?

Reply #788495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I coached in 14 club champs a few years ago. The kids are so excited to participate etc, and lights the flame in them to take the game further.
Our club had a buzz around it for 4 months prior to the champs, with all the fundraising / singlet presentation. The whole club got involved, was great experience.
There will never be a fair way of selecting locations and teams to enter as state politics will always play out. Some venue have the facilities for week to week play but not National champs or the volume of teams so they are just not an option. Maybe 2 clubs/associations need to buddy up to host over 2 stadiums in close proximity???
Winning state from the year before should keep the spot, along with the host.

Reply #788499 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

Anon499. Well written. When people have direct experience of this event they tend to be positive about it and notice how much it means to the kids. People have a connection with their local club. It means more to them that their local club qualified and ranked in the nationals than did their broad metro/country team.

Reply #788598 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Word around the Eltham Dandy Tournament is that BA has indeed scrapped 14s. Spoke to the Casey U14 coaches who said they've heard rumours but the club has said nothing, and then was told by both Dandenong and Knox personnel that they were of the understanding that they had been canceled as of this year going forward.

Reply #788739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U14 ajcs would make things a lot easier.

Reply #788740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon..What rubbish..God you live a sad life to come on a lie and make shit up. Go crawl back in that hole of yours.

Reply #788800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ohhh and seems BA have updated their calender.

30 September - 5 October U14 B & G Competitions Australian U14 Club Championships

Announcement soon.

Reply #788801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the delay in announcement, do we suggest the boys and girls could possibly be at separate locations?

Reply #788959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they are waiting to see if Casey boys make VC? If they don't does someone else get to host the boys side?

Reply #789006 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

BA HAVE NOT updated their Calendar. The current calendar is for 2019 not 2020 - So still no guarantee there will be an U14s tournament this year. My mail from the victorian clubs at EDJBT is still holding true

Reply #789038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Todays news is a bit awkward hey ANON, better luck next time champ

Reply #789547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha yeah here is the link in case you still know it all.

https://australia.basketball/blog/2020/01/30/casey-basketball-to-host-the-australian-u14-club-championships-for-2020-and-2021/?fbclid=IwAR2vRiTkItkcIZGeOshtAArj4CwngueUGzOnIlIkBZcCujnAFCP5f6qSoFM

Reply #789550 | Report this post

Cavs Coach  
Years ago

Haha Anon currently very quiet. We can't wait to have all 48 clubs here over the next two years to our fantastic stadium and region. Lots of AirBnB accommodation options in nearby Frankston and Dandenong too. See you all in September

Reply #789628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon where are you? We need your expert thoughts and wisdom #flog

Reply #789741 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:36 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754