Isaac
Years ago

Ex-NBA Kevin Martin in consortium buying Brisbane Bullets

Marc Stein:

Kevin Martin, who averaged 17.4 PPG over a 12-season NBA career, is leading a group that is buying the @BrisbaneBullets of the @NBL in Australia, league sources say

When the deal goes through, Martin would become the third American controlling a franchise in Australia's national league, joining another ex-NBA player in Matt Walsh (@NZBreakers) and Romie Chaudhari (@SEMelbPhoenix)

Martin is expected to spend the coming season in more of an observance/fact-finding mode before taking a more hands-on role the following season. Worldwide interest in the @NBL is rising thanks in part to the presence of American prospects LaMelo Ball (@MELOD1P) and @RjHampton14

Topic #45978 | Report this topic

Ben  
Years ago

K-Mart Lite can start by looking closely at game night presentation and commmunity engagement, both of which have been fairly poor since re-entry.

Excited someone with clout wants to buy the team though, interesting times ahead. Sidenote: anyone remember when Durant mentioned Brisbane randomly on a BS podcast?

Reply #765217 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

Good news to hear that private money is coming in. While I'm thankful to have ball back and have been a member since 2016 accordingly, the experience and overall status of the team needs a boost in SEQ. The move to a suburban stadium may not help matters but let’s see, if they can get this through and commit to playing at the Roma St development we may yet get there

Reply #765225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep^ I'm keen to see a few games this year.
It’s good to see yet more x nba players buying into the NBL.

Reply #765259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excellent news!

Reply #765271 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Maybe KD is in the consortium who knows. There were big rumblings last year with an ownership-group almost taking over before the season last year but nothing eventuated. Bullets definitely need to re-focus themselves as a basketball club from just a sports team to a community focussed organisation too.

Reply #765277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are they doing it to throw money away or has a snake oil salesman been in their ear saying how big the NBL will become and its a great investment. If so, glad they weren't around for Firepower!

Reply #765280 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I obviously don't know, but I would speculate at the following:

If you've been an NBA star for most of your adult life, and you can't get a gig coaching or in the media, then "ownership" is a great way to stay involved with the sport, keep your front row seats, rubbing shoulders with players etc. For most guys, NBA would be out of reach, but the NBL could potentially provide the same buzz.

The ex-players may be headlining these syndicates, but there would be others with deeper pockets putting up most of the cash.
And why not? For money that wouldn't even get you a decent suite in the NBA you can actually (part) "own" a team in the NBL. Maybe get to ru shoulders with LK, and get the inside running on some other projects in Australia.

Reply #765285 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

So we got kmartin and an exec bought Brissy,
Romi Randolph Harrington Childress Exum at SEM, Walsh and Marion at NZ, Syd with a new group last year plus soon Bogut, United drake bought by crocmedia.

That's some serious investment into the NBL from a number of people! Just need Hawks 36ers and Taipans to get in the action

Reply #765324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

every team who is owned by ex nba player has a NS player, is Brisbane next?

Reply #765336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I was the Hawks owner I would give Ball 20% ownership for free, Ball can talk about the Hawks when he's playing in the NBA

Taipans could get Torrey Craig to be some kind of ambassador for the Taipans

Reply #765341 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yeah I could see Torrey Craig promoting the Taipans a club that was bringing him off the bench.

I would've thought he'd be more likely to promote the Bullets where he won Defensive player of the year, was All-NBL 2nd Team and got into the NBA from.

Reply #765346 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I agree, get Ball into a % shareholding of the Hawks.

I think it's a great idea giving international players and identities a shareholding to have them invested in the NBL and take advantage of their value. It would make the NBL have better social media influence and general drawcards.

I’d also like to see the NBL start to seriously target some of our stars to return back home when they’re near that retirement age ie for their final year or two like Bogut.

Try to line them up a little across the league

Example:
Mills Hawks or Adelaide
Delly United
Exum SEM
Baynes Cairns
Motum Brisbane

Aim for Broekhoff, Simmons etc too eventually

Reply #765376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It'd be interesting to know what Kestelman was doing in terms of lining up an overseas investor for the Tasmanian team. I think that's a far more likely scenario than finding that sort of money in Tasmania.

Perhaps more likely that Larry owns in for the first year or two before someone is willing to put their cash in?

Reply #765441 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:28 pm, Wed 8 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754