Ballalld4y
Years ago

Is Goulding's NBA dream still alive?

He's been able to string quality performances against NBA sides now and had a pretty strong FIBA.

Has NBA level offence, great off the dribble, has taken his driving to the next level. Can't help but think the guy would be handy coming off the bench for a handful of teams currently in the NBA.

Defence seems to have gotten better too.

Topic #46085 | Report this topic

Aussie  
Years ago

Chris needs to seriously hit the weights and get a Creek like physique.

It will make it easier for him to drive through traffic and make him a better athlete.

To answer your question though, it is possible but I think it would have to be right time, right place

Reply #768469 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I think Goulding finds himself in a sea of guys who could play in the NBA if given the chance, but who just don't have the one skill or thing that pushes him above a few hundred other guys. Sometimes it's who you know. Sometimes it's just being an inch taller. Sometimes it's just being a few pounds heavier. Sometimes, a little more athletic. Sometimes it's even who you know. There are far worse players than Chris Goulding in the NBA but they usually tick one of the above boxes in some way.

Age could also be catching up with Chris as well. Maybe if he were playing this way 5 years ago he'd be seen as having enough upside to pick up? either way, I highly doubt he actually gets an NBA gig. But he should take heart from the fact he's proven numerous times he can play at that level.

Reply #768471 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Well said

Reply #768473 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Does he want to sacrifice a year of his life playing in the G-League to try to get a chance? For a 10-day? Or two? Or to play a few games in the NBA like Creek did?

He won't be able to go from the NBL to the NBA. I don't think the NBL to Euro to NBA route will work either. To give up the luxury of playing in Melbourne, where he knows he'll get shots in a consistent environment - for a hope that may only be 2-3 games in an NBA uniform (and a significant drop in pay to do it).

Penney should've been an NBA player. Gaze should've been regularly in the league (moreso than he was). Why'd it take Joe Ingles so long? I do believe it comes to opportunities and someone willing to invest.

Reply #768474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding got to this very high level now when he got the leadership, captaincy roll at United. Probably to late in his career now. It obviously helps if you know someone or have the media telling everyone how good you are.

Reply #768476 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Chris should sign Dwayne Russell as his agent. No one else in this world has more belief in him - except his mum. Russells mouth is big enough to be heard all over the world.

Reply #768482 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Kirk Penney did play NBA, a handful of games during which he didn't contribute much on the scoreboard.

But I agree with you - I wish he’d had a season to find his feet.

Reply #768492 | Report this post

A.  
Years ago

Dwayne Russel is a terrible basketball commentator, how many NBL games does he have to ruin before the NBL will listen to us?

Reply #768493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Kirk Penney did play NBA, a handful of games during which he didn't contribute much on the scoreboard."

Kirk's best came a long time after he was in the NBA, but he never got another crack. Played one pre-season game for the Spurs in 2010 and had something like 10 points in 16 minutes, but their roster was full.

Reply #768510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this topic a joke ?

Reply #768513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor defender can't move sideways shoots well when his feet are set his good is ok but his bad is awful

Reply #768514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^
You want to open your eyes though the shit coming out your mouth might have covered them. Goulding is a gun for boomers and Melbourne.

Reply #768516 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Get's better as he Get's older, I enjoy watching him play since he started to mature from the Gold Coast day's.

Right place at the right time that's what it come's down to for some player's.

Reply #768517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Gaze should of been regularly in the NBA"
Creditibility alone gone after that comment!

Reply #768547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Gaze was coming through today he'd be a career NBA player.

Reply #768554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely

Reply #768561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wasn't even in the starting 5 for United last year so I would say no

Reply #768718 | Report this post

mike  
Years ago

can he take the refs with him ?
His defence is the issue as well as his athletic ability
he could be good for a team off the bench if the need some 3 point shooting etc.
But teams like 3 and D and not 3 and flop

Reply #768723 | Report this post

mike  
Years ago

to add - he is a special shooter and only critisizing based against the NBA stabdard

Reply #768725 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"He wasn't even in the starting 5 for United last year so I would say no"

Yet still was a rotation player on the Boomers World Cup team. Coming off the bench, being able to come in cold and still shoot well, is an underrated skill in itself.

It is not uncommon for star players to be irritated when asked to sacrifice their starting role for the benefit of the team, but Goulding appears to have been on board with that decision. That's an indication of a winning attitude. If he was a Jonah Bolden type, he might've fled the NBL over that move.

Reply #768736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watch last 2 minutes v Spain Airball 3 /got blocked on a drive /and 2 turnovers his bad is bad add to that he's a poor defender People that think bubbles is nba level are uneducated. Wouldn’t think nurse and pop would be overly excited watching him in China

Reply #768805 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:15 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754