Anonymous
Years ago

Have SEM won over United fans?

Early days but seems like SEM Pheonix have won over a large majoirty of Melbounre United fans? After all SEM is the heartland of basketball in Victoria

Topic #46120 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back the tigers

Reply #769371 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Phoenix got 10k to their game United only got 6.5k the next day United would have to be concerned about that.

Reply #769372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be fair, United were playing the Wildcats, so most united melbourians knew a loss was the most likely outcome.

Reply #769377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ouch!

Wait until United drop down the ladder, then their fans will jump ship to SEM.

Reply #769378 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

I think you will find that Phoenix got over 10k mainly due to Ball being in town

Reply #769379 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Could SEM overtake United? Yes.

But not in Year 1, United have the names and success behind them.

Hopefully both teams can form a synergy where collectively they will have a fan base of say, 8,000 attending fans each.

Reply #769381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have, but the bigger question is
Can sem win the NBL championship

Reply #769382 | Report this post

STHEaster  
Years ago

It's a question I’ve thought about. I still think the rebrand has hurt them.

There are a chunk of tigers fans who can’t fathom to back them again. A number have joined SEM. Then there are people who have always supporter SEM Magic, Titans, dragons etc who could never jump across because they saw them as the tigers in disguise.

Then there are plenty who watched but weren’t passionate, if you’re on the SEM pages you’ll see they’ve come across. Not sure they have as large as a rusted on support base as people think. Couple that with they gave away a lot of tickets in the early years - I think they’re shaky.

United will come good this year, but if they have a few down years and SEM are flying - I can see them overtaking United. Especially if they don’t permanently relocate to the SBC

Reply #769384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phoenix have comped over half their tickets for their games this season
Not a bad thing, I like the thinking, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.
Melb United is a pricier NBL ticket and SEM is currently alot of free bees.
1 year on will be the huge test for me

Reply #769385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Free Bees? Bold marketing strategy.

Reply #769387 | Report this post

STHEaster  
Years ago

Also worth noting that the first home game for the Phoenix the crowd was closer to 4K, not the over 6k they said.

Reply #769389 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Official crowd figures are usually attendance + paid ticket holders that didn't attend.

Reply #769394 | Report this post

STHEaster  
Years ago

I doubt the Phoenix even have 2k members little alone 2k of them not attending their first home game....

Reply #769399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United still have the feel of a sterile club from its colours to it's name. Tigers will always have the hearts of former fans.

Reply #769403 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I doubt the Phoenix even have 2k members little alone 2k of them not attending their first home game....

Okay well lets go with your theory that they fudged the official crowd figures by 2k then.

Reply #769404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back the tigers!!!

Reply #769418 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Thats absolutely awesome that Phoenix got 10k- surprising but awesome!

As one example, many of you old forum people might remember Tigesgal from back in the day, led the Tigers cheer squad from around 2001 - 2005 ish

Detests Kestleman. Probably hasnt been to an NBL game in years.

Is all over Facebook lately, she's right into the Phoenix.

Maybe there are a few more like her.

Not at all worried about United getting 6500 though- the 4:40pm AFL games always get terrible crowds, I have no idea why they were stupid enough to try a 5pm Sunday game. Hopefully that's a once off experiment.

Reply #769512 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Just got to get her to convince Cram now he's already worn out his LK voodoo doll.

Reply #769515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was a long-time tigers fan and was devastated over the decision but I'm now a proud united supporter. I’d never switch to Phoenix - to me, south east Melbourne have always been the enemy

Reply #769517 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sadly, Tigers brand has been run down and may not be able to be brought back to life.

Reply #769552 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Just got to get her to convince Cram now he's already worn out his LK voodoo doll"

Zero chance.

Reply #769559 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Official crowd figures are usually attendance + paid ticket holders that didn't attend"

More like attendance + paid or unpaid ticket holders that didn't attend

Reply #769560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers won't be back as they owe the Gaze family lots of money. By rebranding they were able to get out of paying them.

Reply #769562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The combination of Lamelo playing and children under 12 getting in free was always going to boost numbers. As a United fan (grew up in the South East) even I was going to attend to see Lamelo. The real test will be when teams like the Taipans or 36ers come to town.

Reply #769568 | Report this post

Mat  
Years ago

United have nothing to worry about.

They played 5pm Sunday - a horrid time for Melbourne teams across all codes. Melbourne City played across the road and only got 7,500 in a 30,000 seat stadium, kicking off an hour earlier.

Phoenix played in the prime timeslot, with free entry for kids and played against the future NBA #1 pick - they were always going to get a cracking crowd to this one.

Like the post says above, let's see what crowd they pull when they play Brisbane and Cairns.

SEM will average about 7,000 - 8,000 and Utd will average about 9,000

Reply #769577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Tigers won't be back as they owe the Gaze family lots of money. By rebranding they were able to get out of paying them."

How? Changing your trading name doesn't absolve you of your financial obligations.

Reply #769578 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"Just got to get her to convince Cram now he's already worn out his LK voodoo doll"

Zero chance.
Zero chance that you'll follow a new team, or wear out the voodoo doll?

Reply #769581 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Haha...well...

Nah yeah won't be following any new team in the league the way it currently stands.

Reply #769584 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I was a long-time tigers fan and was devastated over the decision but I'm now a proud united supporter

How can you not be when Gaze's, Gordon's, Giddey's, Copeland's singlets are hanging next to the United Championship banner?

Reply #769664 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Bring back the giants

Reply #769740 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

" was a long-time tigers fan and was devastated over the decision but I'm now a proud united supporter

How can you not be when Gaze's, Gordon's, Giddey's, Copeland's singlets are hanging next to the United Championship banner?"

Because those jersies hanging is pure farce.

Reply #769748 | Report this post

Kas  
Years ago

Tigers member since 1992 - also devastated when they suddenly changed to United - thought about not joining United - as Andrew Gaze was the reason I started following basketball - but then I thought what he would really want is for people to support the Australian basketball league - so I have supported United since they started.

I have heard of some people saying they might swap to Phoenix - but I think they are most likely fans who have only been with United for a short time.

No way I would support Phoenix - they are SEM Magic/Titans/Dragons to me - but great for the competition.

Reply #769761 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Fair call Kas. Not for me.

I can't reward someone for coming in and throwing away a team's identity on a whim just to support a for profit league.

I continue to support Australian basketball at the WNBL, international and state league level, but while the same people are involved with the NBL I won't be supporting that league.

Reply #769763 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:25 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754