Anonymous
Years ago

lay up /euro step

What has happened to the old fashion lay up ? It seems to every commentator that everything is a Euro step, could some one please explain to me the difference.

thanks.

Topic #46209 | Report this topic

Pop  
Years ago

Looks to me like a simple change in rhythm - and sometimes direction - the commentator is able to notice and so remark on. Otherwise unremarkable.

If that is the case - and I'm open to correction - there were women players doing it back in the 1970s.

And, given the same assumption, it seems to me that the key is for the player to have sufficient control over his/her body to change rhythm and direction in reaction to the defense.

Reply #771167 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

A layup is generally a straight line to the basket with no defender ahead. Euro step is when your 2 steps are side to side to dodge around a defender. They're both essentially layups, the "Euro" distinction is the change of direction

Reply #771171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except in the NBA, where the euro step is usually a change of direction combined with a travel as opposed to a layup which is a straight line combined with a travel

Reply #771192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Euro step is what CJ Bruton performed to get out of one contract to sign a more lucrative one elsewhere.

Reply #771201 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Euro step is what CJ Bruton performed to get out of one contract to sign a more lucrative one elsewhere.

♥ this.

Reply #771214 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I see lots of kids in rep and domestic using Euro steps these days. What they probably don't realise is the stress on their knee when they do this at speed. The pros have strong knees and a medical program behind them if they blow out their knee, kids don’t.

I’d be curious about whether there’s any connection between the number of knee injuries and the use of the Euro step amongst school kids, say over the last 5 - 10 years that it’s become common in the NBA and NBL.

Reply #771273 | Report this post

badsanta  
Years ago

Please the explain the anatomical impact a lateral movement would have on the knees of a child?

Reply #771301 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:54 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754