Hoopie
Years ago

What are refs being taught?

Refs please answer, trolls p*** off.

The FIBA rules say

The offensive player, whether on the floor or airborne, shall not cause contact with the defensive player in a legal guarding position by:
• Using his arms to create more space for himself (pushing off).
• Spreading his legs or arms to cause contact during or immediately after a shot for a field goal.

So many of us on this forum cannot understand why players kicking their legs out will always draw the foul, given the wording is very clear. Similarly with dribblers using their arms to hit away defenders' arms.

What are you refs being taught in rep or above?

Topic #46342 | Report this topic

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Please... Accept the loss gracefully. Don't be that guy.

Reply #774575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Key part of that rule is the "in a legal guarding position".

Reply #774578 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I don't support either team, and I’ve been critical of one particular player in the team I do support for doing this.

I’m asking as a long-time watcher of all levels and teams, as well as a former ref and current coach, who gets annoyed by uncertain or inconsistent reffing allowing stuff that’s against the rules or spirit of the game I love.

Reply #774580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton doesnt kick his legs out, and he certainly doesn't spread his legs to cause contact. Its his natural shooting motion. defenders need to be better at closing out.

Reply #774584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Refs in the NBL are the best in the world at being noticed. Its 2019 everyone, refs should receive as much airtime as players, they work just as hard! #refsarebest

Reply #774585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You need to look at where the defensive player is standing before and after the shot.

You can complain about legs out but if the defense is behind or in the spot where the shooter took off from its a foul.

Reply #774588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton is not a normal shooting action, he jumps up vertically and shoots then kicks his legs out after the shot, he would never get that call in the nba.

Reply #774593 | Report this post

A.  
Years ago

Cottons shot is completely different when a defender is within kicking distance.

Reply #774594 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I think they're taught to ruin games going off of the latest debacle.

Reply #774679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They get taught that home cooking is better for you than take away.

Reply #774690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a Level 2 ref in Victoria. Kicking a leg out or pushing off with an arm should never result in a foul on the defence unless the defender is preventing the shooter from landing.

The problem is that what is clear to see on replay is harder in real time. The referee may not be in a position to see the push off - sometimes because they are out of position and sometimes because even in the best position there is only so much you can see. We are taught that if we are in doubt to protect the shooter, ie call the foul on the defence.

Reply #774695 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Thanks, #695

Reply #774712 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Cotton is not a normal shooting action, he jumps up vertically and shoots then kicks his legs out after the shot"

I don't know about the rules regarding this, but it really should be legal to do this because it is actually a natural way to generate power on the jump shot, especially for smaller/weaker players shooting from long range. It's an alternative way to get power to the one-action shot. Shane Heal used to do this; the attention may have been on his 'hammer' overhead action, but he generated the power from his legs, naturally kicking his legs out. Heal had less vertical lift than Cotton, so Heal wouldn't have launched his legs as far forward for so long, making contact with defenders less likely.

If driving players can get calls when defenders encroach upon their landing space, why not also for jump shooters that gain power from kicking legs out? Bryce Cotton's jump shot appears completely natural to me as he gets a lot of vertical lift and kicks his legs out as a natural counter-balance starting from the release of his shot.

Reply #774727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is anything but natural. Do you defend Draymond Green and his antics too?

Reply #774729 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Are you talking about his usual jump shot or just particular instances? He might exaggerate the kick out sometimes, possibly to draw contact for calls from refs, but then it might also be a natural move to counter-balance. Refs shouldn't be expected to make that judgement. From what I've seen, it is not always the same and depends on the situation. Sure, I wouldn't be surprised if Cotton knew how to use his kick-out get more calls from refs. A lot of the best players know how to get calls from refs.

My own jumper has a natural kick-out depending on the range, whether it is a set shot or slightly turnaround, etc. It's all about balance and power. There can be a legitimate reason to kick-out on a long range jump shot.

Reply #774771 | Report this post

BB4  
Years ago

Kick outside your cylinder and whether it's "natural" or not you are responsible for the contact assuming the defender has legal guarding position

Reply #774785 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Referee the defence then you know what the defence was doing when contact occurs. If the defence is legal and they are doing all the right things it is a no call or offensive foul.

Protect the shooter interpretation everywhere in the world beside Victoria is about calling the soft fouls that can disrupt the shooters action. It is not to make up a call to advantage the shooter for something you have no clue what just happened.

Reply #774790 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Legal guarding position does not include moving into the safe landing space of the jump shooter.

Reply #774801 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:49 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754