Jack Toft
Years ago

Taipans v Cats Nov 23

They're done it already this season - beaten the Cats. Will they do it again on their home court? The collective support of 7 other teams will be behind the Orange Army tonight as they seek to serve it up to the boys from Perth they only way they know how, hot and steamy. Oops, I better watch my words because we all know how racist we are on Hoops....

And talking of giving people curry on this site, the guy who cops the most on Hoops, Brendan Teys, rose to the occasion last night with a career high 22 points in an effort that has NBA scouts salivating. Does that mean we need to give a bit of extra ribbing to the Cairns boys to inspire them?

Perth are slick and well oiled, which is useful in a lot of scenarios, excluding if you're on Jeffery Epstein's private yacht with a Prince. There's not too many chinks in the armour that can get exploited, except they don't travel as well as other teams IMO.

Perth were caught napping in the second half of the last game they played and Cairns came home like a steam tain, but not tonight. Perth to apply the right amount of pressure at the right time to control the game in the fourth and run out winners by about 8.

Topic #46376 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns are a chance here since White is out. They win this they stay in contention for the 4

Reply #776348 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

White out is an advantage but Cats would want revenge for the last debacle.

Reply #776350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats countering the snakes starting 5 by leaving their White player in Perth.
It's a bold strategy Cotton let's see if it pays off for em.

Reply #776351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"except they don't travel as well as other teams IMO."

Their current away record is 4-2. Only Sydney's is better.

Reply #776359 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Without White I sense a sneaky Cairns upset.

Reply #776364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats by 22.

Reply #776366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poz is out injured for the cats too

Reply #776367 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

The one advantage the Cats have is only playing once this round.

Last time round it seemed they were already planning for game 2, that won't happen here.

But at the same time, Cairns have to be careful to leave something in the tank for the Hawks. They can't afford to flog their starters as they usually do.

Ordinarily I would say that Perth's strength was in its depth, but without White that will be tested.
Trev spoke of running small ball. I can only hope that was a furphy designed to deceive the opposition.

Cairns strength is their starting backcourt, coupled with their frontcourt size, they are probably running some of the biggest rotations around. Especially with Deng playing so well off the bench.
Ordinarily I would back White to be too much for Noi & Djeric to handle, but without him I think their best bet is starting Wagstaff at the 3, backed up by Steindl.

This is going to be a test for Perth's big man rotation. They need Hunt & Jook to do their thing, and some decent minutes from Vague. Their inconsistency to date is what makes it hard to predict. Fail this test, and I'm afraid Perth will be looking for a new Centre.

Reply #776389 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

WTF at these Cats jerseys. Woeful.

Reply #776420 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I like the Perth jerseys! Cairns also.

Representative somewhat of the 'city' too, unlike Brisbane’s.

Reply #776424 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Sunset City is lame. Perthworld would've been awesome however. Missed opportunity.

Reply #776425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both these teams have good city jerseys

Reply #776428 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wow Stiendl 4/5 FG.

Reply #776429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still giving up more than he is scoring

Reply #776430 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

LOL yep.

Reply #776431 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

I can't watch this guy Noi play anymore. Every week he kills me. Mate, have you noticed your teammates are rolling? It’s not about you...

You’re long and athletic. Smash the boards, run the lanes, be active on D and shoot the OPEN 3. Stick to that and the snakes may win. You have no handle and very little range.

Reply #776435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he has noidea

Reply #776437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noi is the best rookie since Inglis, he'll tell you when you ask him.

Reply #776438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can a ref come in and over rule a call but get it wrong ?

Reply #776440 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

When your name is Vaughan Mayberry that's how.

Reply #776441 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Oh wow. Why wasn't that an unsportsmanlike foul on Kenny how grabbing Cotton's hips as he ran past?

Reply #776442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That over rule is amateur league

Reply #776443 | Report this post

mike  
Years ago

not doing Cairns any favours - threw out 3 fouls for little on Olover and then that overrule

Reply #776445 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Well refs are just gifting it to cairns atm!

Reply #776446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Santamarias hatred of the cats is so obvious.

Reply #776447 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Foul on Hunt for existing

Reply #776448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth have stopped. Yikes.

Reply #776450 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Martin is a little trigger happy when he is open from 3

Reply #776451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damo needs his minutes cut at this point. Norton will be starting by the end of the season I'd imagine.

Reply #776452 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Cairns doing their best to give this away.

Reply #776453 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Surely that pleb moved under an airvorne mvp... wow

Reply #776454 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think I'd take Oliver over Long all things considered.

Reply #776457 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

Been watching the Wildcats since 1986 and this is one of the worst collapses I have seen. What a pitiful final quarter.

Reply #776458 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Agreed, Norton should have been on down the stretch there. He was playing a hell of a game and kept the defense honest. Currently Cairns are using 5 players to guard 4 players

Reply #776459 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

So does this mean that Mike Kelly deserves to be an NBL coach after all?

Reply #776460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you're shooting 16% from 3 you should basically never ever shoot it. You definitely can't be taking 3+ a game.

Reply #776461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin never did bother to develop any sort of offensive game that demanded proper respect.

Norton is the Cats man moving forward. Biggest run by any team this season 18-0 I think it was.

Reply #776463 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Martin has always had a pretty elite floater game. Alas, Oliver returned it to sender at the end there.

Reply #776464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only really get a floater off, IF you have the defence close out hard on the 3 attempt though. Martin, you just sag right off. His defence has been simply that good over the years, its keep him employed. Rare for as guy to be a start purely from D, but he has been a superstar.

If he had developed a 3, even one sweet spot, a corner 3, starlight on ala Tony Ronaldson or there abouts, he would've been so deadly to cover.

Reply #776465 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He shot 50% from three in 2010 and 45% from three in 2014.

Reply #776473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has never been known as a clutch shooter that demands any real attention.

Im surprised by those numbers to be honest. But, regardless, no teams game plan has had to evolve around Martin's outside shooting lol

What about the seasons in-between? 2 seasons, 1 from 9 years ago and the other 5, isn't really a big sample size. I'm curious now what he has done.

Reply #776474 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He dropped off dramatically in 2011 with the extended line from memory, but outside of that dip he's generally been somewhere in the ballpark of adequate.

Reply #776475 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

A little early on the Noi bagging y'all. Single handedly kept Snakes in the game. Rookie of the year maybe? But on a good learning arc

Reply #776476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Right, adequate. Hence my point, he could've been lethal on both ends if he had ever developed a shot with consistency. No point really throwing in 2 seasons worth of a highish percentage if the others are all just ok.

Reply #776477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noi scored a few, but was noticeable absence when the game was on the line, Kelly has realised you have to play defence.

Reply #776479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love to see the 'experts' get it so wrong. Perth by 22. Bullshit.

Reply #776481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With all due respect, it DID take a massive run, not seen this season for the Taipans to get the in. Would I have thought the cats would win by as much as 22? Hell no!

Most people in the know definitely would've had the Cats as favourites though. For the recored I hate the Cats, with a passion, in fact I love to hate them, so I'm coming from a general view here.

Bit easy to call the experts 'Bullshit' AFTER the Taipans have pulled off the upset lol

Reply #776482 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Not sure why you would suddenly choose to bag Damo?
Might as well say that you expected Britt to drop 20 points.

Sure, if Damo could score as well he does other stuff, he'd have been in the NBA. But again, might as well ask "what if he was 7 feet tall."

At some point, Perth need to face some harsh realities, and sadly they were easy to see coming.

Many teams have made a huge effort to improve, catch, and surpass the Cats over the past few years. Bringing in Cotton, then Kay and Norton, was huge for Perth, but there wasn't much upside in the team at the end of last season.

Obviously, throw White back into the team and they win tonight. Against Cairns. This team isn't going to beat Sydney and will struggle against a full-strength Melbourne.

I have struggled all season to figure out who Perth is paying as their 6th man, because there just doesn't appear to be one.
My assumption (which may be wrong) is that at the end of their careers, Martin and Wagstaff have re-signed for moderate amounts, which should have allowed for signing a decent 6th man, but I just don't see it.

Steindl was good tonight, Wagstaff wasn't. That kind of evens out out.
The other main players were also good, but they needed to either crank up the D, or for somebody to step up, and it just didn't happen.

Cotton's output was obviously disappointing.
Unfortunately other coaches and teams have been working on how to stop him for 3 years, and when your only other backcourt scoring threats are Steindl and Martin, its just too easy.

I've also been noticing just how often Martin hands off to Cotton to run the point, whilst he heads for the corner. It kinda makes sense to have the ball in the hands of your most potent weapon, but if he's going to distribute he needs better options on the wings.

Like I said, White coming back solves a lot of problems, however if you consider that Norton is a de facto starter, this has exposed the lack of depth.
Vague showed a lot of promise, and should be coming on, but he just isn't.

If this squad comes together, and everyone plays to their potential, then look out. But at the moment they are struggling.

Reply #776483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hardly bagging him. Just pointing out, if he had developed that shot, yes he would've been fringe NBA type player. Crazy to think you wouldn’t work as hard as possible to achieve that sort of goal/talent level.

Just an observation, I’d still die to have had him run my teams sets for the past 10+ years. It’s ok, he is a very good player still lol

Reply #776490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tfg you aren't their coach Dazz. Clearly out of your depth!

Reply #776491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hardly bagging him. Just pointing out, if he had developed that shot, yes he would've been fringe NBA type player. Crazy to think you wouldn't work as hard as possible to achieve that sort of goal/talent level."

Across his four championship seasons he shot the three at 42%. He's obviously worked hard at it, just is a poor natural shooter who gets affected too much by confidence. A few misses roll into the next game in his mind. In seasons he is hitting that confidence carries on as well.

Reply #776496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hardly bagging him. Just pointing out, if he had developed that shot, yes he would've been fringe NBA type player. Crazy to think you wouldn't work as hard as possible to achieve that sort of goal/talent level."

Across his four championship seasons he shot the three at 42%. He's obviously worked hard at it, just is a poor natural shooter who gets affected too much by confidence. A few misses roll into the next game in his mind. In seasons he is hitting that confidence carries on as well.

Reply #776497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if Noi is getting any NBA interest. Been pretty impressive

Reply #776508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin will come out of his shooting slump some day. Seriously though what a tosser, did he think he could all of a sudden shoot a basketball and win a game. lol

Reply #776510 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

I chuckled to myself as Noi went 5-5 in the second half after my comment, but I stand by it.

2 fg's were off O boards where he should make his living. He hit a tough 3 which is the kinda shot he forced in the 1st, then an ugly bank which was clearly lucky. But generally speaking he stuck to what he does and didn’t play outside of himself. Even with that, Kelly knew not to play him down the stretch.

To be clear, he’s very talented. He just needs to stick to what he does well, let Machado and Newbill run the show and take what the D gives. His energy helped bring them back but imo he was also very responsible for them being down 10.

Reply #776511 | Report this post

Taipan  
Years ago

Why is no one talking about the fact that there is a major stuff up in the Taipans City jerseys?

Have a look at the jersey and then the map of NQ... Where Cairns is on the map isn't shown on the jerseys...

Umm WTF?

Reply #776513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipan cause no one cares mate! Map of NQ? It's a map of the whole of QLD and "Cairns" writing is up at NQ. Jog on champ! It's the best alternate jersey I've seen from Cairns in years!

Reply #776522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I wonder if Noi is getting any NBA interest. Been pretty impressive"

Haha, I doubt it. He's been extremely inconsistent and hasn’t shown anything to suggest he deserves a shot... yet

Reply #776524 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Noi will only get better and I think he is having a better rookie season than Froling

Reply #776532 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Haha Taipan I did notice that. Cutting off FNQ on the outline of Queensland on a Cairns jersey is another piece of gold by the NBL. Never change.

Reply #776543 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Map of NQ? It's a map of the whole of QLD and "Cairns" writing is up at NQ.
No it isn't.

Reply #776551 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

LOL at those saying "oh Martin should have just worked on his shooting", like its that easy.

If it were, clubs would have entire teams of 3 point guns, and everyone would be 99% from the stripe.

Reply #776554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Missing North Queensland is probably a good thing. ::))

Reply #776560 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Shooting is the easiest skill to learn, all it takes is you in a gym for an hour or more a day getting up shots. Not everyone does it, but all the great shooters do - Ray Allen used to shoot 500 shots every single day.

Reply #776561 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

It's simple Perth are Cairns b!tch’s..

Reply #776777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Shooting is the easiest skill to learn, all it takes is you in a gym for an hour or more a day getting up shots."

Wow Dude, you should get a job coaching in the NBA. If only they knew what you did. You could revolutionise the entire sport with this.

But please, help the Boomers win Gold first, before spreading your knowledge.

Reply #776924 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:12 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754