D2.0
Years ago

Player (Wildcat) of the Decade???

So somebody at the cats has lost the plot. They have been running a "Wildcat of the Decade" poll/contest.

Even notwithstanding the issue of the decade not ending till the end of next year, what a pointless exercise.

I'd be very interested to see whom fans of other teams would vote for their teams, and the Whole-NBL debate would be an interesting one.

But if you ask Cat fans there is only ever going to be one result. Not even close. Damo will outpoll every other player combined. ROFL

Purely for the object of starting discussion, I will make the following suggestions:

Adelaide: Daniel Johnson
Brisbane: n/a
Cairns: Alex Loughton
Illawarra: Oscar Forman
Melbourne: Chris Goulding
Breakers: Mika Vukona
Perth: Damian Martin
Sydney: Ben Madgen

All NBL: Kevin Lisch

Topic #46613 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

"the decade not ending till the end of next year" hmmm 2010-19 is the decade no?

Reply #782657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2020 is a new decade lol

Reply #782661 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

sigh...
a decade is any period of 10 years, so in one sense it can be amost anything you choose. If you want to refer to "the decade ending 31-12-2019" that is a valid use of the term.
You could even have "the decade ending at the conclusion of the 2018-19 NBL season.
However, if referring to simply "THE Decade", that implies a fixed and unique meaning."
So let me ask you this, what was the first Decade in the AD epoch?

Reply #782665 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Here's a thing that IMO sucks and is dumb so I will start a thread about it and also expand it to a bunch of other teams.
FWIW, I'd vote Damo without hesitation, and ending an NBL decade with the 2019/20 season makes plenty of sense to me.

Reply #782666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dewey Michaels. Then daylight. Any era, any decade, any time.

Reply #782670 | Report this post

For Brisbane it has to be Cadee.

Reply #782672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Cats fans would go with Dunigan?

Sixers fans with Diamon Simpson?

Reply #782675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jayson wells for cairns.

Reply #782676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a decade of seasons would be either 2009/10 to 2018/19 or 2010/11 to 2019/20. The cats won 5 championships in this decade. 2020 champs would be the first of the new decade

Reply #782679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there something wrong with the water in Perf? You've got all these guys like Kober, Luuuuuc, and PerfWerld, who only ever post to demonstrate what dicks they can be.
My 2 cents, for Adelaide I agree with Dazz's suggestion: Daniel Johnson, narrowly ahead of Mitch Creek.

Reply #782716 | Report this post

All Perth decade team

Martin
Cotton
Ennis
Knight
Brandt.

Reply #782743 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

A poll to discuss the Wildcat team of the decade, at the logical end of an actual decade (2009/10 - 2019/20), a decade that is without doubt the most successful in their history (on and off the court).

A decade, that perhaps only NZ could rival in terms of achievement.

And your questioning the point of it? Apart from the simple fact that fans like this type of engagement and its great to see the club reflect on a proud decade, its also interesting and gives an opportunity (or excuse) to look back at past players and their highlights... yeah real pointless.

Reply #782747 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Special shout out to the West Sydney Razorbacks for folding and providing us with a nice base.

Reply #782760 | Report this post

And giving us Bebo at the start of the decade too.

Reply #782784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jesus this D2.0 guy is painful

Reply #782789 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Breakers team:

Wilkinson
Vukona
Abercrombie
Webster
Jackson

Based on a Twitter poll run by Andrew Price, the discussion for best NBL player this decade would be between Cedric Jackson, Damian Martin and Kevin Lisch (Vukona/DJ/Cotton would be outsiders in that contest)

Reply #782793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D.20 is dazz, he's simple, you’ll get used to him.

Reply #782826 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

All Perth decade team

Martin
Cotton
Ennis
Knight
Brandt.

I'll go

Martin
Cotton
Prather
Redhage
Knight

Reply #782828 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

Adrian Majstrovich for the Cats surely?

Reply #783238 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Throw in Ben Thompson and Matt Shanahan if we're going down that route.

Reply #783258 | Report this post

DKD

Reply #783259 | Report this post

cant believe ppl forgetting finals mvps jawaii and dolla beal ya'll

Reply #783275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai wasn't finals mvp. It was Damo

Reply #783285 | Report this post

Who could forget Derek Cooke Jr.

Reply #783286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember Martin winning that Finals MVP. Never seen a player so embarrassed. 6 points a game. Only if you believe heart is more important than talent. Classic NBL when they were handing out MVPs to the likes of Elbows and Rotten Clark. Mind you, NBA gave Iguodala the Finals MVP in 2015, and that was honestly probably worse.

Reply #783300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wasn't embarrassed. He was humbled. He also held CJ Jackson scoreless in the final game, I'd say that is worthy of recognition.

Reply #783301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have given the MVP to Corey Webster for shooting his team out of it - Perth's most valuable player for sure!

Reply #783305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whose #11 Will be retired. Bryce Cotton or Cam Tovey?

Reply #783308 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They still haven't retired #42 so I'm betting neither.

Reply #783329 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"He wasn't embarrassed. He was humbled. He also held Jackson scoreless in the final game, I'd say that is worthy of recognition."

It was an interesting call. Jackson had won two GF MVPs leading into that (and averaged 15p & 10a in his first GF but missed out to CJ!) and had been the one guard Martin's defence had not been able to really impact.

Ced smoked him in G2, going within a whisker of a triple double and being the game winner. Then in G3 Damo completely shut him down and was the most impactful player on the court.

Both PGs were really good in G1, so in a series marred by the NBL's official whistle supplier running out of stock and a horror travel schedule, Damo got the vote as a standout in Perth's two wins.

Reply #783333 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:29 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754