MD
Years ago

All-Import first team? MVP?

Who would be included in an all-import first team? (if there was one.)

Going with:

PG: Machado
SG: Cotton
SF: Patterson
PF: Oliver
CTR: Long

Machado is in all senses of the word one of the purest Point guards the league has seen in a long time. Averaging over 8 assists is a tremendous feat.... I think he pips Trimble in the first team because of his playmaking ability. Lets be honest most PG's in this league are more score-first over playmaking e.g. Randle, Ware, Sobey, Trimble.

MVP? Machado by a mile.

It is Between Creek and Machado. Machado has elevated Cairns to competitor status which shows his value. Creeks' squad is still a borderline playoff team.

Topic #46641 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trimble sucks, always has with his iso ball, can't lead a team.

Reply #783946 | Report this post

JD  
Years ago

Agreed, Trimble isn't a winner. Would be great to see an All Star game, imports v Australian/NZ lineup. I think it would be competitive:

PG: Sobey
SG: Goulding
SF: Creek
PF: Kay
C: Bogut

Reply #783947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import team

Machado/Ware/Roberson
Cotton/White or Henry or Newbill?
Hopson/Patterson
Oliver/Tate/Griffin
Long/Ashley

Reply #783948 | Report this post

I think an Aussie/Kiwi team would get hammered by imports.

Reply #783973 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Really? I'd back this team in:

Bogut/Johnson
Kay/Newley
Creek/McCarron
Goulding/Sobey
Lisch/Martin

Reply #783976 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'd have Hopson in over Patterson.

Reply #783984 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

On this topic, could this be the first time ever we have an All NBL team without an Aussie?

I'm tipping Creek makes the 1st team and Kay makes the 2nd team, but you never know.

If Kay made the first team, then Patterson and Hopson would make the 2nd team. Oliver might get in ahead of Bogut or Johnson at the 5, and then you have the backcourt- probably Machado/Ware and Newbill?

Reply #784002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no way that MVP favourite Creek isn't in the first team
Kay might have been good for the boomers but he is having an average NBL season

Reply #784003 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Hopson starts at SG for NZ currently and occasionally slides to SF, Delaney and Ashley cover the 4 spot.
Not sure what bearing Kay making the team would have on Hopson's selection considering he's a PF.

Reply #784007 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Typically the teams include 2 guards, 2 forwards and a 5- this is why Kay is relevant.

Hopson is playing SG, you're right

I still think of him as an SF, as that's where he was playing before his injury, when Hampton and Webster were there - is Hampton returning soon? If so, Hopson will play out much of the remainder as a 3 and be considered a 3 for team selections.

The guards - Cotton is a guaranteed 1st team selection. Ware/Machado should be the next 2. Newbill is the 4th. Sobey, Goulding still a chance too?

Forwards- Creek, Kay, Patterson and Hopson a clear top 4. If Hopson considered a guard, then I'm not sure who would be next- White? Griffin?

5 - Long, Oliver then Bogut and Johnson

Real chance we only have 2 Aussies in the 10 players selected for All NBL teams IMO. That's historically low levels.

There's never been an all import All NBL team. This includes the days where there were 3 all NBL teams.

Reply #784011 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Actually Tate is another serious prospect at the forward spot.

Kay isn't even guaranteed a spot in either team, with Patterson, Tate and Hopson all around the mark. Plus Creek clearly the best forward.

So again, Kay and Creek are the only two Aussies who look likely at this point.

Reply #784012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lamelo for MVP

NBL
@NBL Twitter
·
1h
Next Star LaMelo Ball will donate a portion of his NBL salary to victims of the bushfires that have devastated much of Australia in recent weeks.

The NBL will be announcing further initiatives to support the victims of bushfires around Australia.

Reply #784014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My teams

First
Machado, Cotton, Patterson or Hopson, Creek, Long
Second
Ware, Randle or Roberson, Patterson or Hopson, Oliver, Bogut

Unlucky
Trimble, Newbill, Kay Johnson

Reply #784021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NOW where are they going to play next year? the import players.

Reply #784025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if you sign Machado do you sign Oliver if they stay in the NBL

Reply #784026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"if you sign Machado do you sign Oliver if they stay in the NBL"

Yes we sign both of them for sure. We will offer them twice the money Cairns are offering.
- Melbourne

Reply #784027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is Long and Trimble done in the Nbl 2020 21

Reply #784028 | Report this post

It's been awhile since Perth signed an import with previous NBL experience ( Redhage, Timmons and VanDyke spring to mind)
Hopefully they go after Machado and or Oliver.

Reply #784049 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I think most of Perth's recent imports have been just fine, Cotton, White, Prather, Ennis, Beal, Lisch over the past decade!

If United does continue their habit of poaching imports, Machado would be a lovely signing to replace Trimble!

Reply #784053 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Typically the teams include 2 guards, 2 forwards and a 5- this is why Kay is relevant. "

Perhaps, but that's not how the team is selected.
There are two frontcourt players, and 3 backcourt. so regardless of what labels we attach, it comes down to how they play and how that is categorised for the purpose of this selection.
Also remember that it's an acknowledgment for the player, not the formulation of an actual teams. Hence I suspect Creek will be selected in the frontcourt, and that would probably exclude Kay.
So, with that in mind, my tip is:
Long
Creek
Cotton
Machado
Roberson

if I were picking the team, no problems, it would be:
Long
Kay
Creek
Cotton
Machado

Reply #784072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I fully expect United to go after Machado. Hope he stays at Cairns.

Reply #784076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Long not in Bogut shadow, dunker and not much more, it's all homicide hype. I’d play Kay at the 4 and Oliver at the 5. I’d take Jawai ahead of long.

Reply #784079 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Perhaps, but that's not how the team is selected.
There are two frontcourt players, and 3 backcourt.]

You're right but I think they'll still look at team balance and put in a 3 man or a swingman (e.g. Patterson or Hopson) instead of having 3 point guards

If it was purely the best 3 outside players, then it might be Cotton, Ware, Machado but I'll bet you that doesn't happen

Reply #784422 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

They did put Randle and Ware in a couple of years ago but they won't pick a team that's ridiculously out of balance

I could be wrong, I'm just basing my prediction on the teams of the past 6 years

Reply #784423 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I understand what you are seeing, and personally I agree. I prefer to pick using the old 1-5 criteria. As such I would have Machado, Cotton, Creek at the 3, Kay at 4 (narrowly ahead of Oliver) and Long at 5.

They have picked unbalanced teams. Last years 2nd team had 3 PGs and 2 centres.
But what's interesting is the way they they shuffle around SFs: Childress, Prather, and Tokoto have all been named outside players,jet Craig was named Inside. So it will depend where they slot Creek.

Reply #784448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oliver is head and shoulders above Kay, like Long is head and shoulders above Bogut.

Reply #784451 | Report this post

Machado
Cotton
Patterson
Oliver
Long

Reply #784473 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:49 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754