LV
Years ago

Perth's luxurious run home

Where's that anonymous Perth fan who complained LK is rigging the NBL by giving United a smooth run into the playoffs?

Here we are, 7 weeks till playoffs and the Cats will only leave Perth once more!

And only one more double header- with a 3 day break.

Plenty of time for extra training sessions getting Plumlee acquainted. A few extra scouting sessions for likely semi final opponents Cairns and United!

Is Trevor Gleeson working in NBL head office doing fixturing for some extra cash on the side?!

Topic #46701 | Report this topic

If it is a so called luxurious run home it just means Perth have already played 13 road games.

Reply #785821 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Perth has a golden opportunity to get confidence up, heading into the playoffs with momentum

Trevor couldn't have been more generous if he was in fact scheduling this himself

Reply #785823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The tennis tournaments complicate the scheduling for Perth and results in lengthy road runs every year.

Reply #785824 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Is it such a fortress anymore. Cairns,36ers and United have beaten them convincingly at the Jungle during the season and why can't that happen again?

Reply #785825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are a moron LV they just played a ton of road games intros. 7 or 8 the last 10 games was on the road

Reply #785827 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Of course they're beatable but they're still 6-3 at home after going 15-2 last year.

Confidence and momentum are important, and they've been gifted the best possible chance to have them at the right time of year.

Doesn't bother me, just pointing this out for those Perth numpties who think United are getting special treatment

Reply #785831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a good way to finish off the season, but also well earned after spending the last 4 games on the road. By the time they play SEM at home next week it will have been almost a month since their last home game.

Reply #785833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a anti cats fan here, this is a really weak and petty thread. Well done LV.

Reply #785834 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Not being petty, just pointing out the Cats have the best run into the playoffs by far, for several reasons.

Another advantage is nursing any injured players through with less games to go. Right now Perth has 6 games to go. Most teams have 8. SEM has 9!! Perth has the best chance of keeping everyone fit, and won't need to take as many personnel risks as other teams

This thread is for the benefit of those who think LK rigs the game in United's favour, of which there are a few on this forum. If you're anti Cats- wrong audience

Reply #785836 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

So, you're pointing out that the Cats have been hard done by, playing more away games than any other team, not to mention multiple road-doubles.

Reply #785837 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I will admit, there's one disadvantage of Perth's fixture- it's by no means a major disadvantage, and it doesn't balance out the many advantages of their luxurious run home.

But, playing less games late in the season means you have an earlier deadline to make any final import changes, given they need to play 7.

eg: SEM haven't replaced Benson yet, but they have an extra week up their sleeve.

So there's one disadvantage for Perth. But you can't have everything.

Reply #785839 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

An example of why this is beneficial was Richmond last year in the AFL, struggled early on but played their last 7 games of the year at the G.

Entered finals on a 9 game winning streak and ultimately won the flag.

Now, ask any Richmond fan, would you rather have had all your Melbourne games mid year, and finished the year travelling interstate every 2nd week- or would you rather finish the year getting confidence playing in Melbourne?

The answer is obvious, it's amusing that commenters here are refusing to at least admit that this is a pretty nice advantage for the Cats to enjoy.

Reply #785840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Where's that anonymous Perth fan who complained LK is rigging the NBL by giving United a smooth run into the playoffs?"

That was me. I spelled out exactly how Melbourne had received favourable draws in the final round year after year, and they have got increasingly favourable the more Melbourne squandered their opportunities. That is a very obvious trend.

It was also in a thread that you started called “fixture imbalance” so it seemed the right place to post, but evidently you no longer want to talk about imbalances. Funny that.

You've cherry-picked parts of the overall Perth schedule and tried to make a point. How’d that work out for you?

Reply #785841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" it's amusing that commenters here are refusing to at least admit that this is a pretty nice advantage for the Cats to enjoy."

It is advantageous for them, especially since to this point they have played all but one of their away games, and are still sitting comfortably in second.

If they were one of the average teams this year (like Melbourne) then they would obviously have lot more pressure on them to perform at home because they want to make sure their home court is once again feared leading into the playoffs, where they will probably face Cairns.

Reply #785843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth needs a second team so the Wildcats can get 2 more home games like United does

Reply #785845 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[I spelled out exactly how Melbourne had received favourable draws in the final round year after year, ]

Yep, and your argument was based on the ridiculous idea that it's actually favourable to be playing TWICE in the last round- as I noted in this post

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/46334-nbl-fixture-imbalance/#p774272

Reply #785847 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Perth needs a second team so the Wildcats can get 2 more home games like United does]

Next thing LK will try and resurrect the Giants again, so United gets even more home games.

Reply #785848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, my argument was based on the fact of all the team in the league who have had to play twice in the final round in the past four years (roughly half from memory) only one of those teams has had to do that without travelling.

Reply #785851 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yeah, but they're still playing twice

It's not like they're going 7 weeks with one double header.... that would be nice.

Reply #785852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many double headers will the Tassie team have to play?

Reply #785853 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And you know, if LK wants to help United, I've got a few suggestions

Next year, don't make them play an NBL game 3 days after playing in the US. Give them a weeks turnaround like the other teams got.

Reply #785854 | Report this post

LV reminds me of my 9yo son.

Reply #785855 | Report this post

Don't talk about me like that, Dad. You know how that makes me feel

Reply #785857 | Report this post

I love all my brothers and my Father, but don't make me feel that way

Reply #785858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"An example of why this is beneficial was Richmond last year in the AFL, struggled early on but played their last 7 games of the year at the G.

Entered finals on a 9 game winning streak and ultimately won the flag."

It's completely different to Richmond since they played so many Victorian teams in Melbourne while only going interstate a handful of times. Wildcats will have had 14 home and 14 interstate games by the end of the season. Plus they don't have the luxury of another team in their state to give them an extra couple of home state games, they also don't have the luxury of lesser travel times to away games like east coast teams.

Reply #785859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, Perth has to do more travel than any other team. What's their shortest flight, 3 hours to Adelaide? I'd imagine all of Melbourne's flights are shorter than that other than when they play NZ. I'd love to see the total travel time for the season for each team - undoubtedly Perth would have the highest and the Melbourne teams the lowest due to the two extra home games.

Reply #785860 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[It's completely different to Richmond ]

But the advantage enjoyed in this case is exactly the same.

[undoubtedly Perth would have the highest]

No shyte, Sherlock, but that's a fact of life if you're from the other side of the country, a completely different topic to the question of how much advnantage or disadvantage each team is afforded by the governing bodies

In fact, if anything this means Perth's luxurious last 7 weeks mitigates that extra travel that any sporting team from Perth would ordinarily be doing

Are you trying to make my points for me? You're doing a stellar job

Reply #785864 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And of course every team has 14 home games and 14 away, or 12, 12 with 4 neutral if you're United or SEM

Playing in front of your home crowd gives you a natural advantage, we see this in every sport, everywhere.

So the question is- when would you prefer your home games?

Reply #785867 | Report this post

Ppl pretending to be me but they ain't I’m mellow you just aj’s and coenrads

Reply #785868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV stop your sooking because your big budget team sucks and you can't handle it.

Reply #785869 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Still got it LV still got it.

Just reel them in nice and easy don't jerk that line.

Reply #785871 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

2018 champs, 2019 runner up

If the definition of sucking is "not winning the title every year" then yeah I guess

But as I've said here many times, United is my team but I'm not exactly a rusted on fan- havent been to a single game this year. Loving SEM this year, too. Cross town rivalry isn't doing it for me, I wanna see those boys in Green getting the Ws

If it wasn't for the unfair advantage they always seem to get from the refs, and Trevor Gleeson carrying on like an upset pensioner who just had his walking stick stolen by an unruly youth every time a call doesn't go their way, I'd even be finding it increasingly difficult to locate the spite within me for the Wildcats too

Reply #785872 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Still got it LV still got it.

Just reel them in nice and easy don't jerk that line.]

It's all fun and games this forum, isn't it

I was reminiscing recently about the old Ozhoops days actually. This modern day Hoops is the Bronze to the Gold of Ozhoops past

Good to talk about Hoops- keeps me sane some days!

Reply #785873 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Anyone in here think the Cats aren't worthy ? we're not United poaching anyone decent like Long, Trimble, Prather and Ili to win a flag. We're not the Kings running 4 Imports.

To me its the Cats or the Taipans who are the only worthy teams of a Ring in 2020.

Reply #785875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha yes LV has them getting defensive. This has been a good read.

Reply #785877 | Report this post

LV started it all.
Having a whinge re: Perth's schedule.
He is baiting us Perthworld based trolls but he bites back.
Friendly banter :) no harm deep down LV knows Melbourne won't win title :)-

Reply #785881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly, I believe the reason the cats have a back loaded home run is because in addition to the usual tennis tournament in January, there was also the Fed cup final earlier in the season which forced them away a little while.

Secondly, the downside to having a lot of home games coming into the playoffs is that you have to survive a tough schedule through the middle part of the season. Perth have done well to do that. If they hadn't you would be talking about Perth needing the run home to make the playoffs rather than as a tune up to the playoffs.

The comparison to Richmond is not really an equal one. Yes, they had a lot of home games towards the end, but they also barely had to travel for the whole season. In the NBL you play an equal amount of home games and road games so it evens out over the course of the season. A big reason Richmond had a strong finish relative to the start was that they got healthy as well. A lot of their key players were injured in the first part of the season.

This thread feels like a pre emptive excuse thread in case Perth wins again.

Reply #785882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rent free baby

Reply #785883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you want to look at league being favorable to a team it would probably be the Kings being able to sign Didi Louzada as a next star when it wasn't the intent of the program

Reply #785885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV only hates the Wildcats because they win all the time. He is happy to support them when they don't make the playoffs.

Reply #785889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Richmond was completely different though. If they had played 9 away games in a row beforehand then meh, doesn't matter as much. Biggest problem was they had hardly played away at all in the season. Throw in their finishing run and it was a ridiculously unfair advantage. Plus 9 games is close to half the AFL season, Wildcats playing a few in a row at the end of a 28 game season isn't that many.

Perth has a nice finish to the season with 4/5 at home, but thats due to a lot of their season being a hard slog. They've had a 5 game road trip, a 2 game double header road trip, a 4 game road trip, lots of double headers, most travel of any other team, only 3 games against the hawks which most teams have just been cashing in on as a free win.

Most teams would have crumbled and been sitting down the bottom of the ladder if they had the Wildcats fixture.

Reply #785890 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[This thread feels like a pre emptive excuse thread in case Perth wins again.

]

Perth a very good chance now they've signed Plumlee

Any championship will be well deserved, even though some teams do get more gifts with the fixturing and reffing than others

Sydney have indeed got a nice free shot with Didi

United, like Sydney have copped more than their share of injuries, so it'll be a good effort if they can make it 2 from 3

Reply #785905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't more condensed travel and extra flights in a shorter period of time increase the likelihood of players getting injured (martin) or carrying injuries they then need to play through? It's great saying they can now "manage" injured players, but most would rathet they not het hurt. Also from memory that one double left is an away game wed in melb vs united followed by a home game against a rested sydney on saturday. So that easy schedule has the best team in the league have the travel advantage removed for their match against the home team who will have travelled further and played a game. Wow so easy LV.

Reply #785908 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"If it is a so called luxurious run home it just means Perth have already played 13 road games."

It's so obvious isn't it! Obviously the OP was bored and needed someone to chat to!

Reply #785916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its understandable LV would rather think about other teams than his own one playing there way out of the top 4

Reply #785937 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

["If it is a so called luxurious run home it just means Perth have already played 13 road games."

It's so obvious isn't it!]

Unusually sloppy thinking from you there Paul.

Reply #785954 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Its understandable LV would rather think about other teams than his own one playing there way out of the top 4]

Absolutely

Sydney might be the last genuine chance to stop Perth from back-to-back

Hey, I could handle that and put aside the Melbourne Sydney rivalry for a fortnight

They do have two of my all time favorites in Casper and Walker. Plus Bogut who's a joy to watch. So I'd quite enjoy them beating Perth.

Reply #785957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At this point Melbourne shouldn't be worried about a playoff opponent, they should be worried about actually holding on to 4th spot

Reply #785960 | Report this post

Better luck next year Melbourne.
Trimble is rubbish.

Reply #785979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's "good" imports (with bad attitudes) can MU steal for next season? Cam Oliver, the unstoppable weapon Eric Griffin? JEROME "HERO BALL" RANDLE!!!

Reply #786105 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:36 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754