Curtley
Years ago

is Josh Green underperforming?

Aussie Josh Green was considered a lock for this years draft not long ago however is currently averaging only 13ppg, 5 rpg and 2 apg.

Could he stay another year at Arizona?

Topic #46738 | Report this topic

Cram  
Years ago

In the games I've seen him play he's looked good when he's been aggressive but for the most part doesn't get a huge amount of touches. Mannion is the guy with the ball in his hands for most of the offense, and Zeke Naji has been more effective than expected inside.

I still think he'll declare and go mid to late first round. I think he's done enough and there's always the risk that he ends up looking worse next season with a lesser point guard and higher usage rate.

Reply #787045 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

In my opinion, he is probably over-performing... Those stats for a freshman in a power 5 school and tough conference are impressive.

He was over-hyped prior to college and expectations of him coming in and being a 20/10 player were unrealistic.

He is very active and aggressive but is still learning to play, and developing his left hand and shooting

Reply #787051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's great, will be better with more Space too.

Reply #787052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will declare and get taken first round, absolutely no doubt about it

Reply #787073 | Report this post

Mr. Big Checks  
Years ago

Those are great stats he plays for a top program has like 6 All Americans on his team what do you want from this guy. LOL

Reply #787076 | Report this post

His team is stacked and nationally ranked he is doing well.

Reply #787089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those stats are actually pretty good for the position he's in, being next to a ball-dominant guard and a dominant post-up big. He's also probably the best defender in the Pac 12. He's looking like a late lottery guy at the moment and is trending up.

Reply #787138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cop that Curtley

Reply #787140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Needs bettttfer ball handling and vastly improve shooting for him to the a legitn2 man.

Reply #787144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stats are important but not the end all and be all. The recruiters will be watching and make there decision on what they see with help from the stats.

Reply #787146 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Anyone who thinks Josh Green is not going first round in this year's draft is dreaming.

ESPN mock draft 2020: Josh Green on edge of lottery, Ball and Hampton slide

Reply #787147 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

As mentioned above, those stats are good when you consider he is playing for a massive program.

Look at all the good players who came through Duke and UNC etc. with probably similar freshman averages. The teams are so built with talent that not everyone can put up 20ppg.

When guys like Kevin Durant, Jimmer Fredette, Trae Young, Steph Curry were putting up massive numbers for their programs it was because: (a) generally their programs weren't big and/or were very talented; and accordingly (b) those guys got a lot of shoot opportunities - basically a green light - because them shooting was better than Jack Smith, the walk on from down the road, shooting 3's.

Reply #787182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you suggesting Texas isn't a massive program?

I’d suggest he’s a massively better player with significantly more potential than Josh Green ever has.

Why are people here so stupid???

Reply #787222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon I don't think he was suggesting Texas wasn't massive just that at that time it didn't have many players taking shots from Durant, a quick look at the roster reveals DJ Augustin was the second best player and he was a pass first point guard.

The program wasn't massive comment can be obviously attributed to Steph Curry and Davidson who literally scored or assisted on most plays on that team.

Don't be so quick to fire shots

Reply #787228 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

LC - I don't think anyone here claims that Green will not go in the first round, I certainly believe so. Is he a lottery pick? Personally I don't think so based what he has shown although this is a very weak class so he may get in. And this is one of the reason why he should declare.
For someone who was highly touted as the next best thing after Ben, he did not show anything spectacular. He is indeed a very good athlete, great defender but below par a perimeter shooter (he plays 2/3), at least based on a limited sample size so far. I certainly hope he will improve this element. His team although stacked has underperformed, not Green personally in most segments of the game, they are no longer ranked, mainly because they don't play as a team but as a bunch of individuals, HS mentality.

Reply #787263 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The opening post claims he will not be drafted this year, suggesting he returns to college next season!

The thing with Green is that he was all the physical attributes, and does the tough things others often do not do i.e. work hard and plays D. The upside he has is huge, as he has a solid stroke already that is likely to only get better as he matures.

Reply #787315 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Back to bed Curtly you've been smacked down!

Reply #787363 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Anon #222, you obviously didnt see the "or" in my sentence:

"generally their programs weren't big and/or were very talented;"

Reading obviously isn't your forte - room-temperature IQ.

Reply #787828 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:14 am, Thu 9 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754