From another thread:
Earlier this week
As a club representative, I was involved with the comprehensive discussions between the NBL and the WA SBL back in November and December. And they were comprehensive. And I can assure you that simply 'rebranding' as NBL1 will not send the clubs broke. And that is what it is - a rebrand. As others have said, if a club gets into financial difficulties after the change to NBL1, they (1) probably already had financial instability beforehand or (2) it happened due to mismanagement.
There was to be some small infrastructure costs, mainly relating to live streaming and signage, but that's about it. There are no NBL1 'fees' for example. In fact the clubs won't be paying the NBL anything. The upside to this is the possible distribution of $$$ generated by sports betting agreements in place between the NBL and some betting agencies. Eventually these funds would be distributed back to the states.
In the case of the WA SBL (and I assume also the PL and QBL), not much was to change in relation to the management and general running of the league. It was still to be managed and run by the SBL (Basketball WA), but with a different name. SBL playoffs also wouldn't change, nor would the SBL grand final weekend. In fact, apart from the re-branding and the 'national champs' weekend at the end of the season, you wouldn't notice the difference in a lot of ways.
The reason why the SBL didn't join for 2020 was more about uncertainty relating to signage, and the speed in which this all happened. Also the SBL plays the most games out of all the 2nd-tier leagues and consequently starts before all the other leagues, so we had a shorter timeframe to come to a decision, which some clubs used as a valid reason for holding off until 2021. In addition some clubs wanted to have a 'sit and watch' approach in relation to the QBL (and now PL) joining in 2020.
Half to two-thirds of the SBL clubs were in favour of joining this year, but the SBL decided that without a 100% positive consensus from all 14 clubs, the best decision was to hold off until 2021. My club was 100% in favour and we are disappointed that it isn't happening. But we also understand the reasons why some clubs have balked at it for 2020, and we subsequently accept the SBL's decision to postpone for 12 months.