Jack Toft
Years ago

Bullets v Taipans

What looked like a very interesting final minor round could turn into a bit of a fizzer. Bullets need to win and win by about 103 to secure 4th spot and the Taipan looked like the decided they would through in the towel last game against CG43 and the boys.

Bullets will want to keep their fans happy with a win, but will pretty much go into review mode once the final horn has sounded and Homocide Williams has stopped talking about D. He does seems to like talking about D.

Taipans have no real strategic reason to win the game as they are a lock in for 3rd spot and will have their minds on next week's game. Expect a fast flowing game with some loose defending as Cairns will play within themselves.

Bullets by 8

Topic #46889 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns have 3rd spot locked up. What are the chances they do their fellow Queenslanders a solid & rest their main guns in preparation for finals.

Reply #792911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Finals start in 2 weeks, so no need to rest players.
Bullets need to win by over 40 points (44, I think) to leapfrog NZ, so would need a lot of help from their QLD friends!

Reply #792913 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Bullets to win by 110 on the back of JC5 who should be named MVP

Reply #792941 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

#sacklemonass

Reply #792942 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Also, Jack: thank you for entertaining us throughout the season with your witty previews. The highlight of each week for me mate.

Reply #792943 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This will be the 3rd season out of four that Lemanis has missed the playoffs at the Bullets. 75% failure rate a fair effort that and his buddy Clarke gave him a 3 year deal on the way out before the season too.

Reply #792947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey had a similar rate towards the end. Emphasis on end. Success is the only option for a league that doesn't have a rebuild system via tanking etc with drafts. Cut throat.

Reply #792957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Joey go out with a bang? He loves going head to head with Gleeson and they both seem to up the ref riding when they go at it. Could be an interesting night for the men in green.

Reply #792961 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Joey had a similar rate towards the end.

No he didn't. Missing the playoffs 3 out of 7 seasons including two GF's isn't anywhere near similar as missing the playoffs 3 out of 4 seasons.

Reply #792962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac, he's missed the playoff the past 2 straight seasons. It’s over, no one cares about what he did at the beginning, infact it’s best forgotten, getting blown out in 2 GF deciding games.

Reply #792976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ above has a point. Making the playoffs 50% of the time in the last two is MUCH better than 0% in the last two.

Reply #792979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meh who cares, Joey and Lemanis should both me moved on from. Lemanis had a big time import some decent Aussie talent and the emergence of magnay to play with. He failed. Joey was out of excuses, he should've been moved on from earlier, but that contract tied the clubs hands.

Reply #792981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Magnay was in Adelaide it would be "Joey made him", but because he is in Brisbane he "emerged", like he was a gift for Lamanis?

Reply #792982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha true to the above comment. Joey was always very good at spinning his involvement in up and comers development. A lot of these guys were special and had abilities that would flourish eventually in any system.

Reply #792987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White wasn't good enough for Illawarra yet Joey brought him to Adelaide. No one really knows why Taylor got cut before season started but Weaver has made both him and Bruce look like starting five or minimum of top seven type players. Talk of Joey development is way over the top, Drimic, McVeigh were talked up big time but improvements has been minimal at best.

Reply #792989 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Cairns mucked around last game. Teaches bad habits.
This is what you get

Reply #793013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I knew the Bullets to win this, but I expected Cairns to turn up. This is horrible from them.

Reply #793017 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cairns are getting swept if they turn up playing like this come finals

Reply #793019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What margin do the Bullets need to win by to overtake NZ? It looks like they're well on track. Thanks Cairns for screwing NZ twice in this round, lol

Reply #793024 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Cairns rolled over against Melbourne Kelly just running old United sets against them and now they're clearly rolling over against Brisbane.

Very risky strategy this going into the playoffs as us 36ers fans can remember in 2017, very risky.

Reply #793026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

need to win by like 30 or 35, can't remember.

Nz are plus 46.
Melbourne plus 50 something.

Reply #793028 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Kenny playing like his brain has turned to mush by the pressure, and he should be kept away from the court for the rest of the game.

Brisbane finally looking they are taking this seriously, and Cairns just aren't coping.

Brisbane’s arrogance, esp from Gliddon, makes me hope that Cairns comes back to win it.

Refs not even attempting to protect the better players.

Neither of these teams is going to make the GF. Perth to win it again, sigh.

But the good news is .... no Dickicide so I can listen to the game!!!!

Reply #793030 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Perth to win it again, sigh.

I wouldn't get too cocky remember the touch up Cairns gave you in Perth earlier in the season?

Reply #793031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure if Brisbane can sustain this pace for the whole game though. It’s clear their strategy didn’t match scout and Cairns has taken some time to adjust. The extended pressure at times has exposed them too. But they seem to be settling into a rhythm. Brisbane will still likely win but I don’t see them reaching the points difference they need.

Reply #793033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh and Cam Oliver just murdered Magnay's NBA prospects.

Reply #793034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Brisbane's arrogance, esp from Gliddon, makes me hope that Cairns comes back to win it"

Agreed.

Reply #793037 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Oh and Cam Oliver just murdered Magnay's NBA prospects.

I guess you missed that massive block then?

Reply #793041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey is loving this situation, suits his hero ball tactics.

Reply #793044 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cairns are garbage this round.

Reply #793047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They've just given up,

Reply #793049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. Cairns. Settle down fellas.

Reply #793051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns form gone, perth sitting two starters, be interesting to see who comes out looking good game 1.

Reply #793052 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

They look like a joke.
They're making the Hawks look good and Brisbane look like a well oiled machine.

Reply #793053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns starters have barely played since the first half. This was always going to happen. Cairns have nothing to play for here.

Reply #793054 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Self respect, pride and some form heading into the playoffs are 3 reasons I can think of.

Reply #793055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RIP Breakers. It's between Bullets and Melbourne now.

Reply #793059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The game isn't over.

Reply #793060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, bullets throwing season away in the last minutes.

Reply #793065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crazy how much contact they let go on one end then call an offensive foul, then within seconds the whistle blows and free throws on the other.

Reply #793066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How fitting, Brisbane go up on a car crash play by Cadee

Reply #793067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bullets threw season away last weekend.

Reply #793068 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Gliddon doesn't hold onto it. Risky but ends up working out.

Reply #793069 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

BNE 101.96% +50
NZB 101.86% +46

Reply #793070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns have ended NZ's season this round.

While they didn’t have anything to play for, they’ve messed with their form. That could be lethal.

Reply #793071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I was a NZ supporter I would be livid!

Reply #793072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That missed lay up on the buzzer is going to haunt brisbane. If he made that brisbane percentage would be 102.34. If united win tomorrow by 1 point brisbane's percentage would be .1 better than united but as it stands even a one point win by united will get them in.

Reply #793076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sad for NZ, their fight back this season was great to watch. They just needed one more win.

Reply #793077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne vs Phoenix should have some heat. Little bro to try k ock en out of finals.

Reply #793078 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I've only just noticed this - nothing screams 'professional studio' more than a signed and framed Brett Wheeler / Titans photo. Wtf? Kids today would have no idea who he is. Like surely there were a billion other better options to decorate the damned bunker than that? Shrug.

Reply #793079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor Djeric, -39 for the game. Strange game but as noted above, Brisbane threw season away last weekend, today's win will mean nothing when Melbourne smoke SEM tomorrow.

Reply #793080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane were very lucky to run into a Cairns team in the final round with nothing to play for - they just didn't care and the starters barely played. But as mentioned above, it doesn’t matter anyway because SEM aren’t beating United.

Reply #793082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That missed layup makes no difference. United would have still needed a 1-point win. Going by their showing yesterday, we know SEM will at least turn up, so they're a good chance to spoil it for a very inconsistent United...

Reply #793084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do the Breakers get to play the second half of the Hawks game to up their percentage?

Cairns have stitched us up big time this round. Makes you wonder....

Reply #793088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder what?

Reply #793089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That game was... interesting. That's all I’ll say.

Reply #793093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeh interesting... very interesting indeed. Go Phoenix!!

Reply #793096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers are 3-1 against the Bullets this year and they get through on a points differential because Cairns threw the match. Point differential is wack. Yes I'm salty.

Reply #793098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have won more games than them. Safest way to make the finals.

Reply #793099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ I'm well aware.

Reply #793101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depends on what you believe about who owns teams and who doesn't

My mail is that the Taipans had to change their constitution last season under pressure from above , then Kelly arrives as coach. The window to influence was then opened.

Who is paying for Brisbane? Are the NBA names just attached as window dressing as has been suggested by some.

NZ certainly not owned by the league and the league gets no benefit re media /sponsorship wise from NZ having success.

Brisbane need to win by 34 points and the Taipans assist by running their bench and having no interest in trying to win let alone keep the score , shall we say, normal.

The optics are horrific and there is a pungent odour around what has been happening and continues to happen.

Reply #793105 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Jordan Ngati should have shot the ball against Perth with 3 seconds to go and no one on him. Or pass the ball to ashley under hoop. But didn't even look at the hoop.

Reply #793107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I smell a rat.

Reply #793109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Taipans had every right to rest their starters and get some minutes into their bench. It's exactly what Perth is doing in their game.

The conspiracy theories are hilarious.

Reply #793110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Did you watch the game?

Reply #793112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes.

Reply #793114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Jordan Ngati should have shot the ball against Perth with 3 seconds to go and no one on him. Or pass the ball to ashley under hoop. But didn't even look at the hoop."

You can go back and literally look at hundreds of cases in hindsight which would have changed things, but that goes both ways. If Melbourne didn't take their foot off the NZ throat in Glen Rice's first game and let them come back from a huge deficit, then they would not have been in the position they were in. If Brisbane did not shyt the bed last weekend against NZ, then NZ would not have been in the position they were in. Plenty of examples for all teams. That is, except Illawarra, SEM and Adelaide, who have been a step below.

Reply #793120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are lots of players and coaches talking about games being fixed. Today's events don’t quell that thinking

Reply #793121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dumb people believe in conspiracy theories.

Reply #793122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are they dumb if it is true

Reply #793124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're dumb if they think it's true.

Reply #793126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If teams finish on the same number of wins, I think the head-to-head series a better way to decide than points differential. Although that probably requires all teams to play each other 4 times, which they don't anymore (that’s another issue in itself).

Reply #793128 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

I still have no idea why they would change the well established system of head to head. That method has been traditionally used to separate teams in nearly all levels of basketball for as long as I remember....and that is a long time.

What is the benefit of percentage?

Reply #793133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ as far as I can tell there is no benefit. Plus it allows for situations like tonight to happen, which is a joke.

Reply #793134 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

One issue with head-to-head this season is the uneven draw. So in the case of a three-way tie you can have different amounts of games played and different amounts of home and away games for the teams involved.

While there is still some differential in opponents played over the full 28 games when using percentage, it is far more diluted than when just looking at three teams.

Reply #793136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conspiracy theorists on here also still believe in Santa Claus, NZ unlucky but in the end you make your own luck, starting last night when they could not smash a Mitch Creek less SEM.

Reply #793140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ should not have lost to Adelaide on Randle's game-winner. They should not have choked against Cairns in Cairns. Then they should have beaten Perth in Perth. Maybe they should not have choked their lead against the Kings in their home opener! There's a lot of those moments in this season that had it gone their way, they would be in the playoffs. But, at the end of the day, if you're relying on results to get in you probably don't deserve to be in.

I had a feeling it would end this way for the Breakers and reminds me of the run they made when Braswell joined them mid-season the year before their first title. If they can keep most of their squad together, they will be a force next season. In the meantime, their fans should celebrate that they salvaged something from their season and it did not all end in flames. There's a lot to be positive about :)

Reply #793143 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

143 agree. Mostly. Think some changes are necessary.

Those will be talked about no doubt

Reply #793159 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Not sure can apply what ifs to that extent for Breakers. They were flat out imploding for a while there. It's not even "wish they didn’t play lazy that one much" or “wish they had finished off that one match” it’s more “wish we had hopson earlier and didn’t crash and burn as an organisation before making a legitimate run”

Reply #793167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well if Randle doesn't hit that game-winner against them they're in the playoffs, aren't they?

And as great as Hopson has been, I think a bigger factor has been that they didn't have Delany for eight or so games to the start the season and Loe went down early too. The imploding was one thing, but there was some seriously bad luck too. That's sport.

Reply #793178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings had Lisch, Moller out major part of the season, plus Bogut, Lozarda for parts and got first.

Reply #793193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ No disrespect to Lisch, but he's no Scotty Hopson. The Breakers had by far the worst run of injuries this year.

Reply #793198 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Injuries are not the Breakers' fault.

But Rice is, stealing alcohol from Perth is. The owner mouthing off at the league management in full view of the cameras is.

Reply #793205 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Stealing alcohol in Perth is a load of crap.
They were given it.

Cairns have no form heading into the finals and will get bundled out by Perth and then other teams will steal all their imports.

Reply #793237 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

That's right nystro. Load of crap.

Reply #793241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they must use point differential instead of head-to-head to separate teams, then it should be the differential between the two teams that are tied, not the overall differential.

Reply #793243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Breakers 3-1 and +8 against the Bullets this season. So explain to me why the Bullets deserve a playoff spot over the Breakers when they won the same amount of games overall.

Reply #793245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just go back to head-to-head and make the draw even and and fair again.

Reply #793246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't go head to head unless the draw is even, all sides play each other twice at home and away, then head to head would work. I don’t mind it the way it is.

Reply #793248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ that's what I’m saying, make the draw even again. It’s not fair that NZ had to travel to Perth twice this season, and Perth only travelled to NZ once.

Reply #793249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The Breakers 3-1 and +8 against the Bullets this season. So explain to me why the Bullets deserve a playoff spot over the Breakers when they won the same amount of games overall."

Because percentage is used to determine tiebreakers and Brisbane had a better percentage across the season. It's not exactly controversial.

Reply #793262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I understand how it works, I just don't think it’s fair.

Reply #793267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's pretty fair as it takes into account your performance across all 28 games.

Reply #793273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was a good game, Brisbane were playing at a next level tempo.

Reply #793281 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:08 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754