Aussie
Years ago

Australian Boomers team v NZ & Hong Kong announced

https://australia.basketball/blog/2020/02/17/six-debutants-named-in-australian-boomers-team-for-asia-cup-2021-qualifiers-in-brisbane/

Game 1 will be telecast live on Fox Sports More (Channel 507)

Can't see anything about game 2. Does anyone know where we can watch the second game?

Topic #46919 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

when

Reply #793717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what does tall blacks team look like

Reply #793721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hong kong team has one player over 6 8

Reply #793723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's a "Live: Basketball: FIBA Olympic Qualifier" on Fox 506 at 10:20pm AEDT on Sunday Night, I think that would've been the time it would be if it was in Hong Kong but the game is at 1:30pm (AEDT) Sunday afternoon, there's a Rugby: Sports Special at the time on 507, which means there's nothing actually scheduled.

Reply #793735 | Report this post

Cool Howie  
Years ago

Josh Giddey? Get out of here man, it's too early.

Reply #793736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disagree "Howie"

Reply #793739 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Tall Blacks squad is pretty weak; well actually the PC answer might be "young". Resembled more like a put together team you'd send to some tournament in China rather than a fully fledged national team;

Reply #793753 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

This piss-poor Australian team will at very least take care of Hong Kong. And I expect a better team for next qualifiers. We will qualify for Asia Cup one way or another. But still, this might be the weakest team under the "Boomers" name in history. Josh Giddey with an eye to the future if a nice inclusion but outside of that, nothing to really interest me.

Reply #793756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would pay to see this game?
Weakest Australian team in history

Reply #793758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When is the next Fiba window, after this February one ?

Reply #793760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next Asia Cup Qualifying window is 27th-30th November, Australia play in Guam and New Zealand.

Olympic Qualifying is June 23-28 for New Zealand in Belgrade, Serbia (who also hosted 2 women's Olympic Qualifying groups, strangely enough from FIBA)

And of course the Olympics are July 25-August 9

Reply #793768 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

The Tall blacks squad isn't great but a boomers victory is no certainty.

This might be the worst boomers team ever out on the floor in over 40 years!

Reply #793836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Serbia hosted 2 women's Olympic qualifying groups because FIBA moved the one scheduled for China there due to the Coronavirus

Reply #793843 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Not much they can do with what's left, I prob would've tried going with less youth though.

Sobey, Cadee, Gliddon, Magnay, Pineau, Drimic, DJ, Blanchfield, Stephens (need a sharpshooter with no Goulding), Naar, Dech, Adnam

PG: Cadee/Naar/Adnam
SG: Sobey/Drimic/Dech
SF: Blanchfield/Gliddon/Stephens
PF/C: DJ/Magnay/Pineau

Reply #793903 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

And this compared to the likely Tall Blacks squad:

Loe/Smith-Milner
Delany/Vukona
Rusbatch/Ngatai/Harris
Te Rangi/Prewster
Ili/Britt/Kenny

Reply #794253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Delaney.

Reply #794257 | Report this post

Krazy  
Years ago

Embarrassing that some of these guys will get to represent Australia. Youth need to earn their spot, their time will when it is ready.

Reply #794269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will they play in Hong KOng now?

Reply #794278 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Embarrassing that some of these guys will get to represent Australia. Youth need to earn their spot, their time will when it is ready."

To be fair, in games as meaningless as this, and with all the talent that isn't available, I don't think it matters.

Reply #794285 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Embarrassing that some of these guys will get to represent Australia. Youth need to earn their spot, their time will when it is ready."

To be fair, in games as meaningless as this, and with all the talent that isn't available, I don't think it matters.

Reply #794286 | Report this post

Brad.  
Years ago

If this version of Boomers can't beat Hong Kong then something is wrong.

Reply #794314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should beat NZ as well.

Reply #794319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is it streamed tonight. Is it Australia v NZ or Hong Kong? Thanks.

Reply #794367 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Tonight is NZ

Reply #794379 | Report this post

What happens if we lose ??

Reply #794387 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Nothing. (Well, other than some LOLs, some ribbing from the Kiwis, and some people blowing things out of proportion)

We've got 2 games to play against each of NZ, Hong Kong, and Guam, and we just have to finish top 2 in our group. Even Ph!l Smy#h couldn't find a way to stuff that up.

Reply #794395 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Pity Barlow is in the NBL playoffs and therefore unavailable for this game, or we could have played him at PG just for old time's sake :p

Reply #794398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not much defence being played. Lowe gone down with an kale injury. Both sides would not make top four in nbl.

Reply #794402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Russell and Heal. Two shit commentators.

Reply #794406 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

True about Russell and Heal, but at least no Dickicide,

Reply #794407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't mind Russel. Heal can’t understand how he keeps getting the top job.

Reply #794409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weaver got this lineup all wrong, lazy defenders. Pineau offers more than Hodgson.

Reply #794410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weaver not that great imo.

Reply #794411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weaver didn't have much to choose from. Blanchfield is a dud, international refs caught up with Pineau and his moving screens, little shoves and is on 4 fouls half way through third. Need more of Dech. Australia defence is woeful. Heal talking up Cadee as usual.

Reply #794413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drmic and kyei are better defenders than those chosen.

Dech should be starting. So too Pineau.

Reply #794414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weaver will not be the new coach, not a chance. He sucks....

Reply #794416 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

2 days practice with a team of the worst nbl players against New Zealand. What did you think was going to happen?

Reply #794422 | Report this post

Cool Howie  
Years ago

Where are the fools saying Giddey was ready now? Run at me haterz, I was proven correct.

Reply #794423 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Pretty watchable game even though NZ carved us up

Reply #794425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one cares Chowie.

Reply #794426 | Report this post

Cool Howie  
Years ago

The name's Cool Howie, don’t wear it out.

Reply #794427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glover and Blanchfield -11 and -12. No defence in that team. Watchable game but when Smith Milner made to look like Kay, Australia always in trouble. After the next game hopefully none of these guys ever see an Australian singlet again.

Reply #794428 | Report this post

Cool Howie  
Years ago

Blanchfield was a disgrace.

Reply #794429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very harsh call howchie

Reply #794441 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Chillwohie - first up game. Good to get so m e court time into young guys. Kiwis full.of vets - got lucky.

Reply #794443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cool Howie
You're right on Blanchfield, talks the talk but goes missing. Bench nbl player at best.

Reply #794444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chillwohie - first up game. Good to get so m e court time into young guys. Kiwis full.of vets - got lucky.

LMAooo this D Team were OUTPLAYED end of story!

Reply #794446 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

Sobey. Blanchfield...without those two on the floor Australia wins.

Reply #794450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sobey, blanchfield, caddee, Adam, Glover, grida all suck. would rather play youngsters like giddey, king, Wigness and Makur.

Reply #794451 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

BREAKING: Team of players who have never played before, working with completely new coach and new system, signed from a limited field specifically excluding a lot of talent, and skewed towards the development of youth, does not perform to the expectations of those who somehow thought it was an A side.

Nothing. (Well, other than some LOLs, some ribbing from the Kiwis, and some people blowing things out of proportion)
Saw it coming, huh?

Reply #794452 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

*never played together before

Reply #794453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adnam in an Olympic side shows you how desperate they are. A disgrace.

Reply #794458 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Reply #794460 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Wasn't an Olympic side though

Reply #794461 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Adnam is lucky to be in the NBL1 team of the year and now he is a boomer.

At this point they are devaluing the jersey!

Reply #794468 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I'm neither surprised nor deflated by the result. People talk a lot about A, B and C teams, but I am not even sure what letter to give this team. They're not even necessarily the best of what is available. They're like the pet projects of the bottom four teams of the league, plus some guys who do have experience but that no one seriously rates. Blanchfield isn't ever gonna play in anything meaningful for the Boomers. Sobey is "solid" but not spectacular in the NBL. Losing to an experienced NZ team, all of whom have played together, is kind of something I expected.

The stakes aren't that high all in all. This is qualification for the Asia Cup, a tournament that has no bearing on Olympic or World Cup outcomes. We'll probably qualify anyway but even if we don't we'll be fine in the scheme of things.

Reply #794477 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

When your top two minutes guys are 2 for 15 behind the arc, and you miss 13 free throws shooting 10 less free throws than your opponent, then you are not going to win many games. Surprised they weren't beat by 30.

Reply #794479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ were far from full strength as well. Disappointing result for Australia but in the whole scheme of things means f..k all. The starting five were experienced and should have done better. The bench hard to say, Glover is a super athlete, not certain he's got iq to go with it.

Reply #794485 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

So a Kiwi B team beats an Aussie D team by ONLY 10 points in a fairly meaningless game, given that both teams are almost certain to go through?

Why bother getting worked up about it? SMH

Reply #794489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will beat Hong Kong.
The November window will be much stronger team with Kay, Creek, Goulding, Magnay etc all likely available.

Reply #794500 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

We assume we'll beat Hong Kong but we actually don't know anything about the team. We just assume they're a low-mid tier, cookie cutter Asian team, but we don't know that the team hasn't been together for a decade. This isn't even an NBL Boomers team we're bringing. It's the NBL D level Illawarra Boomers. We 'should' beat a team like Hong Kong but we actually have no way of knowing.

Reply #794509 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Will be beat Guam?

Reply #794510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will we beat the 1988 Geelong Supercats?

Reply #794514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw that game and the answer is no.

Reply #794516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apart from Dech, Gidddey, Froling, the rest of this team suck. They are Simply not good enough for international basketball

Reply #794542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hong Kong is the last game before November, it'll be a different Aussie team again by then.
Nz will be stronger also though, Much stronger with Delaney, Abercrombie, Webster’s etc

Reply #794543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reads like there is a lot of experts that have wrote on this thread NOT

Reply #794544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to laugh at Australians refusing to give NZ credit for anything. This was far from our full strength team, and don't use the new coach excuse because it was also Pero Cameron’s first game as coach.

Reply #794546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a pathetic showing so far, absolute disgrace with the lack of energy in this game.

Reply #794667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"We 'should' beat a team like Hong Kong but we actually have no way of knowing."

lol

Reply #794670 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Pulling out the +/- stats in a joke game like this is peak Heal commentary

Reply #794671 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Muted so didn't hear him. He's a joke.

Reply #794672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Score ???

Reply #794677 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

115-52
Boxscore

Sensational win by the Boomers. Utterly dominant. And to think that this wasn't even our best possible lineup because CG43 was unavailable.
Gold medal in Tokyo for sure. Only thing that could stop us now is the games being cancelled due to coronavirus and even then we'd probably still be given our medals because it's obvious we're gonna win them.

Reply #794681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luuuc, are u ok?

Reply #794682 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Pathetic.
What a complete and utter waste of time.

I would rather they sent the Emus, because some of those players simply don't deserve to wear the Australian uniform, ever.

Just once, I would like to see us send a full strength NBA team. Flog some of these muppets 200 to 20, and hopefully put an end to this stupidity.

Reply #794684 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The only thing that would make these farce matches worse would be if a superstar got injured in one

Reply #794686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or if they was an all in brawl including coaches and spectators...

Reply #794687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a world sport, you might not be the best but you still are allowed to compete. Obviously the crap teams go out first but that should not stop them. It’s only two days ago a second string beat NZ beat us. It also happens in all sports.

Reply #794693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need to bring our best 12 from nbl next window.
Creek, cooks, Magnay, Goulding, cotton potentially....

Reply #794699 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Pulling out the +/- stats in a joke game like this is peak Heal commentary"

I didn't hear it, but did he mention Giddey's ridiculously high +38 in 13 minutes? While I understand some people don't like +/- as evidence, surely that would be worth mentioning for a 17-year-old on debut. Giddey's debut was sensational after blowing that first layup. 11 points (including 2/3 3pt), 6 assists, 0 turnovers in under 13 minutes. That +38 is representative to some extent of his steadying impact. The Boomers went on a massive run when he first entered the game. Then as soon as he sat down, Hong Kong went something like 9-0.

Reply #794733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This kid will be a 6'8 pg.
Needs to work on his defense alot though. His body should develop in a couple of years.

Reply #794734 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I don't follow tennis all that closely, but for most of the major tournaments, its only the spuds who have to qualify. And I can also recall tourneys where the seeded players didn't play until the 2nd round.

And frankly I think that makes for a better competition.
By all means let the minnows fight it out in games that actually mean something. Nobody wants to see Australia playing Hong Kong.

I haven;t looked at any other groups. Are they all as pathetic and pointless as ours?
Groups of 4, with two teams progressing? So you put Australia and NZ in with two teams from bumfuck nowhere??
And the ONE game people might actually care about is reduced to a farce by selecting a bunch of hobos.

Reply #794741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tournament is fine the way it is.
It's nice to see the improvement of some nations, saudis, Guam etc and also there new prospects coming through.
Most of the other groups have much less disparity betweennteams.

Reply #794742 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I've got no objection to any country in the region having a crack. I just think top vs bottom is a waste of time & money, and getting slaughtered doesn't benefit the development of Hong Kong or whatever other bunch of jabronis either. You can learn and improve from losses, but not from total annihilations. Surely there's got to be a better system than this.

Reply #794754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the same all across the world in every region. Good team, mediocre teams, bad teams.

Unless you want to divide it in half or 3 divisions like junior level in Europe.
They have asia a and b at u16 level.

Reply #794757 | Report this post

Mat  
Years ago

Wonder how many on this boomers squad end up playing for the Kings next year? This was like an open audition for both sides. Probably worth a week's time for the coach to start filling in the gaps for next year .

Reply #794758 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:29 am, Wed 20 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754