Luuuc
Years ago

NBL 2019-20 Attendance

According to the NBL:
- Total attendance up by 21% (714,346 -> 866,082)
- Average attendance up by 8% (5th consecutive year of growth)

Topic #46925 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

Also mentioned in that Twitter thread
- Wildcats had the league high average of 12,974
- Kings total attendance increased 17%
- 36ers total increased 19%
- NZB total increased 37%
- Taipans total increased 2%
- Bullets total increased 19%
- Hawks total increased 10%

Reply #794094 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Taipans total increased 2%

Very interesting that, not much incentive to put a winning team on the floor up in Cairns.

Reply #794098 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

Not surprised Brisbane has increased, IMO the new venue is heaps better than Boondall was (can't compare to the Convention Centre). I literally sat on the backwall at Nissan Arena and I could see everything. Also IMO it's a lot better location, although the car parking is a bit of a nightmare.

Reply #794101 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

To add on to the above, it probably helps Brisbane played better this season too.

Reply #794102 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Perhaps they close to sell out anyway? That would make it hard to increase, it would essentially come down to whether members show up or not i'd imagine?

Reply #794103 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Kings averaged just under 10,000 per game. Despite them having a winning season so far, that is really impressive

Reply #794107 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I was thinking the same thing about Cairns, but actually looking at their numbers this season there is still some fluctuation and plenty of games that got ~ 4000 people into a 5300 stadium

Reply #794108 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Luuuc that's interesting - this really is the type of season where they should be getting close to 4.8-5k if that's the capacity

Reply #794110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back of the envelope calcs on wildcats attendance assuming approx 40$ tickets (probably quite a low assumption) nets them $7.2m in ticket sales alone.

Reply #794114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully can get sbs to show all games live on tv, as to avoid shit internet at times.

Reply #794115 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

5,092 (vs Hawks)

At least the Taipans trend was upwards once people started seeing that they are legit

Reply #794116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are 150,000 people in the Cairns area. A 4,000 crowd is like 3% of the population. By that metric, the people of Perth really need to up their game

Reply #794121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth don't have any seats left to fill. Near capacity every week.

Reply #794125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know about other clubs, but it looks to me like United include all members in the attendance figures, whether or not they turn up. There were quite a few sold-out games which did not have 10,300 people in attendance (which is the capacity), even though that’s the attendance that was recorded.

Reply #794128 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

PER crowds in descending order:

Now that's sexy.

Reply #794129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does descending mean something different in Perth?

Reply #794131 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

ascending*

Reply #794132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I don't know about other clubs, but it looks to me like United include all members in the attendance figures, whether or not they turn up."

I would expect "attendance" is another way of saying ticket sales. Sure, some members may technically not attend but if they got the $$ for it then its a positive regardless.

Reply #794134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You d expect a good crowd in Perth.

Between neck tattoos, working the mines, going to a dentist and buying a ute, there is alot of time to fill.

Reply #794140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Classic Perth slam!

Reply #794141 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Lucky to have something that keeps them there.

Reply #794143 | Report this post

Brad.  
Years ago

Moves to new stadiums paying off for Brisbane and Adelaide.

Reply #794145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good numbers, Nissan arena is a nice basketball venue but the bus system needs some work.
It's time for a second team in Perth.

Reply #794157 | Report this post

Brad.  
Years ago

Many many years down the track for second Perth team.

Reply #794160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah the NBL is a bit slow at bringing new teams in.

Reply #794164 | Report this post

Tiger  
Years ago

I see that the Cairns Convention Centre is having a major makover starting soon. Wonder if that means a bigger venue in the future with the possibility of it holding 6000. Lets hope so.

Reply #794170 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Shame the Kings play in the middle of nowhere where there's SFA to do before or after.

Reply #794171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The kings could do double headers with the wnbl.

Reply #794174 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

The question we should be asking is did the owners/clubs return a profit?

Cairns - Might break even just with finals
Brisbane - Loss money
Sydney - Will break even with playoffs
Perth - Make Money
Adelaide - Nope
SEM - lost million plus
NZ - Lost a few million
MU - might break even with playoffs but at present losing money
Hawks - Loosing money hand over fist!

Reply #794177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um you obviously haven't been to a kings game Curtley, there is two good sports bars with in 200 meters. You can drink and eat there before and after games. The kings normally send a few players up there after every game, the bar over the summer moths is called the kings bar. Kids eat free with every adult meal.

Reply #794182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Kids eat free with every adult meal."

Don't tell ME, he'll start ranting about adults subsiding children's meal for the sake of equality! #pandorasbox

Reply #794185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not certain about other states but nsw has flogged all its stadiums to private companies. Both the WEC and Qudos cost an arm and leg to hire, both Illawarra and Sydney begin behind the eight ball straight up.

Reply #794186 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Tiger
Today

I see that the Cairns Convention Centre is having a major makover starting soon. Wonder if that means a bigger venue in the future with the possibility of it holding 6000. Lets hope so

Mate, is there a link to this story?

Reply #794192 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Actually I've found it.

It sounds fantastic! Hopefully more seats will be added.

Link here: https://www.cairnsconvention.com.au/cairns-convention-centre-expansion-great-news-for-region-says-ceo/

Reply #794195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney - Will break even with playoffs <<<<- Would absolutely shock me if true. Spent way more on their roster than other clubs, and with luxury tax implications and additional players on the roster/practice squad all year, their spend must be through the roof.

Reply #794331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a load of crap. You looked at the Melbourne and Perth rosters. Give it a break and come back when you got some facts.

Stadium rental is what kills Sydney and Illawarra but there isn't anywhere else.

Reply #794344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CCC expansion will have no effect at all on basketball seating. it's all about adding additional capacity and facilities for conventions.

Cairns is doing it very tough right now. tourism has dropped off a cliff and most other industries are being affected in some way. in this context those numbers are fantastic.

Reply #794439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure moving to perth arena now rac was not cheap. I remember 10k members been thrown around as the goal to make it viable. Sydney carrys on like it's the moat expensive place to live (it can be) but perths floor is higher. Pretty sure perth has the highest per game ticket costs too.

Reply #794442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done Brisbane considering they didn't make playoffs and still increased their crowds by a lot

Reply #794448 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Pretty sure moving to perth arena now rac was not cheap.
I happen to know what they were paying on a per-game basis their first year at Perth Arena, and it's nowhere near the figures thrown around on here for other venues.

Obviously prices will have gone up, and those other numbers could be unreliable, so pinch of salt and all that.

I remember 10k members been thrown around as the goal to make it viable.
10k was just their goal because it was a nice round number. It took them four years to get there and they were massively profitable in the first two years. The 10k was a PR thing, not a viability thing.

Reply #794454 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

"Well done Brisbane considering they didn't make playoffs and still increased their crowds by a lot".

Same with Adelaide. Both had a 19% increase. A lot didn't like the move from Titanium to the Entertainment Centre, but some of the crowds they got such as the record 9,034 would not have been possible otherwise.

Did anyone notice that the Breakers attendances increased by 37%??? That's almost twice as much as the next best in Adelaide and Brisbane.

Reply #795832 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:06 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754