NBL1 Central
Years ago

NBL1 Central: February Update

This is not intended to be a slagging post, though I'm sure some will take it as such. This is just taking stock of what I have seen on social media mostly or heard from reliable sources. If there’s anything I’ve missed or is wrong please comment so we can get an accurate picture of where teams are at right now.

Would love to use this thread as an information hub for the pre season - post dates and results for trial matches etc so people can follow before the season starts.

Would love if anyone can do something similar for the girls. As mentioned last year unfortunately I just don’t follow closely enough to do it justice. Would also love to see others ladder predictions.

Central District Lions
Imports: Gebereal Baitey, Spencer Williams
Recruits: James Adcock, Joel Offereins
Losses: De’Vaughn Jones, Jordan Riewer, Lual Diing, Jordan Centenera, Chol Luk

Outlook: Imports come to the league with underwhelming resumes – Baitey averaging less than 10ppg at a division 3 school while Williams barely played at Coe College until his senior year where he averaged 12ppg and 6rpg while shooting an impressive 75% from the field. Judging by the highlights, he won’t be shooting it far from the rim that’s for sure.

Their local recruits are also underwhelming with Offereins averaging 2.5ppg and 2rpg in Perth, while Adcock hardly got on the court at Southern, though did seemingly have a solid reserves season. Dau is an important re-signing for the Lions and he will need to continue to improve to see them with any chance of finals aspirations. Sapwell’s early return from college also helps but he may not be ready to contribute at full time starter level.

After a surprising 6th placed finish last year it looks like a regression is on the cards for first year coach Matt Atkins in 2020.

Eastern Mavericks
Imports: Dane Miller, Dante Thompson
Recruits: Nil?
Losses: Brandon Morris, Novian Cherry, Devon McGee

Outlook: Morris leaves a massive hole as one of last seasons best imports, his 25ppg and 10rpg will be difficult to replace. Likewise McGee’s underrated production of 13.5ppg and 7rpg from an Aussie is difficult to replace. No other news coming out of the Mavericks camp which we can only assume means more Vozzo and a long over due increased role for Kane Della-Pia.

Their imports look to be of reasonable but not All-League standard. Unfortunately I think one or both will have to be a Woollacott contender to lift them off the bottom of the ladder.

Forestville Eagles
Imports: Brendan Teys (restricted), Greg Mays
Recruits: Brandon Brine (Norwood Flames)
Losses: Majok Deng

Outlook: Reigning champs bring back a very stable side with just one change in their main rotation. While Brine is a downgrade on Deng, he’s a great player in his own right and Forestville are title contenders yet again. Not much else to say about these guys - Andy always puts a competitive team on the floor.

North Adelaide Rockets
Imports: Anthony Drmic (restricted), Tobias Dowdell
Recruits: Nil?
Losses: Alex Starling, Bijan Johnson

Outlook: Retaining Jack McVeigh and pairing him with Anthony Drmic gives the Rockets the best 1-2 punch in the league. You do have to wonder if their games are a little redundant playing along side each other but they will give opposing teams huge grief on the wings while Dowdell is a solid enough big man import.

Losing Johnson leaves a hole at the point position, on his day he could be a game winner, but if a Ray Harding type can step up into the void then these guys deserve early season title favouritism. Hawkes has been close before, he’s finally got the cattle to take them over the top.

Norwood Flames
Imports: CJ Turnage, James Legan
Recruits: Matt Fauser, Lucas Valk
Losses: Brandon Brine

Outlook: Nabbing Turnage is a huge get for the Flames, he’s proven to be a top 3 player in the lague over the past two years and nothing should change this year. Legan is a sniper and still a very very good player even as he nears his mid 30s.

Brine will be a massive out for them, but considering they wasted an import spot on Moultrie last season, they’ve essentially upgraded from Brine to Turnage. Will be in the finals hunt again.

South Adelaide Panthers
Imports: Alex Starling, Tanner Giddings
Recruits: Most of Southern 2016-2019
Losses: Zach Allmon, Dakota Zinser

Outlook: Much better than before! Adding championship quality in Starling, Johns, Ellison and the like gives the Panthers hope they haven’t had in a long time. Giddings looks like a solid Allmon replacement, even if he may produce less stats due to playing with a deeper roster. Pressure will be on second year coach Jamie Petty to deliver after a disappointing 4-16 rookie season.

Favourite son Isaiah Omamogho also returns home after a year at the Tigers, with his Grandad’s name on the floor you’d expect him to be a fan favourite back at Marion this year and he will be looking to have a more consistent season than in 2019.

Southern Tigers
Imports: Vionte Daniels, Koop McCaloop
Recruits: David Humphries, Brandon Holloway, Jordan Centenera
Losses: CJ Turnage, Anthony Drmic, Sam Johns, Hamish Staude, Codey Ellison, James Adcock, Hamish Burns

Outlook: New era for the Tigers, it really is a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water. The spending has remained at least as evidenced by their interstate recruiting plus two imports still but new coach Dave Morrell will have to start from the ground up with the Tigers culture as there’s not much left from the previous regime which produced two titles. The imports look solid – McCaloop a stand out in reserves last year and Daniels with an impressive division 1 college resume. Humphries and Holloway are proven performers in state leagues over a long period.

It will be interesting to see how they go as the Tigers faithful have become accustomed to success. We all know $ talks in this league so you’d expect them to be around the mark in the final few weeks of the season or you’d have to wonder why they moved everyone else on.

Sturt Sabres
Imports: Nil?
Recruits: Joel Spear, Max Calligeros
Losses: CJ Rivers

Outlook: A full season of Alex Mudronja will certainly help, especially pairing him with Joel Spear in what is perhaps the best Aussie back court in the league.

Coach Rigoni is back at the helm and he has always run a tight ship with tough, disciplined teams. I’m sure this year will be no different but if they go without an import (I haven’t heard any announcements that they will have one, let alone two) then they might just be pressed for talent to challenge the top sides. I would expect them to be around the mark for finals, though.

West Adelaide Bearcats
Imports: Nate Sheppard, Robert Sampson
Recruits: Lewis Rowe, Lachlan Hunter
Losses: Bryan Jefferson, Tom Kubank, Shane Hayward, Patrick Thomas, Blake Truslove, Matt Fauser, Lucas Valk

Outlook: The other club who are out with the old and in with the new. Haven’t seemed to replace their losses with the same money the Tigers have, but their import selection appears solid, with both potential MVP level players judging by their resume.

This side got a whole lot younger but after a disappointing 2019 Coach McLean will be looking to go to war with a group of hungry young players rather than bitter old veterans. Early call – Nate Sheppard to have the most impressive debut season since Dee Oldham/Eian Davis.

Woodville Warriors
Imports: Bryan McGriff, Joey Hewitt
Recruits: Devon McGee
Losses: Nil?

Outlook: McGriff returns after an All Star 5 season with the Norwood Flames in 2018, while second import Hewitt will be an interesting inclusion. He looks like a shooter from a winning program at division 3 level but how much else he has to his game will be interesting.

McGee is a handy inclusion to shore up their front line but point guard will be the big question mark for coach Whitmore as he will be relying on youngsters Meldrum and Nathan to take steps forward.

Undoubtedly the most talented team Whitmore has had, anything less than a deep finals run would be considered a failed season after pumping more money into the program.

Topic #46926 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Corey

Reply #794208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey don't forget you lost Ben Rennie as well

Reply #794220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the write up.

Sturt are planning to go with one import AFAIK.

I have three tiers of clubs (no particular order within each tier):

South
North
Norwood
Forestville

West
Woodville
Sturt

Southern
Eastern
Centrals

Reply #794224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Sturt be in NBL1 Central given their management have decided to not participate this year?

Reply #794229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA did stated this on social media:

"Basketball South Australia and the clubs have all worked together to collectively reach an agreement that we believe will benefit the entire sport."

This could imply that Sturt eventually came around, or perhaps BSA didn't want the negative PR which inevitably comes with the omission of 1+ clubs from NBL1.

Reply #794230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ yes but I believe Sturt have changed their minds

Reply #794231 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

anyone know if a schedule has been released and if so, where it can be found? my searching has been to no avail so far....

Reply #794235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the women's write up, good stuff

Reply #794236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good list

Reply #794237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt will be there. Not to be would be club suicide. Whilst they always bang their negative drum on anything progressive, they always come around.

Reply #794239 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

To #794224..

Southern are way better than bottom 3. Daniels is an impressive pick-up with D1 college pedigree. Humphries and Holloway are proven starters coming from a league stronger that the PL. Humphries even led the SBL in steals and was all-defensive, and lets not forget has D1 college experience and was a All-American at Juco. Centenera will be solid, but the big question mark is alongside McCaloop and whether he can take the step up from reserves. They're in that 4th to 7th bracket.

Reply #794242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern have 3 players and an unproven coach.

They will have more top-end talent than Sturt, but Rigoni will keep Sturt competitive and they should have decent depth.

Woodville and West have more talent.

Hence I have Southern bottom 3.

Reply #794244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West losing Thomas is huge, Southern more talent. Central and Eastern bottom then gap to 3rd bottom unless Petty can really stuff it up which isn't out of the question.

Reply #794247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Granted, losing Kubank and Thomas are big outs for West.

But they picked up the two Hunter's from Mt Gambier and their imports look the goods: Sheppard will score >25ppg if teams don't tag him.

Again, more depth than Southern IMO.

Reply #794251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For South the big question is how will Starling cope playing Football on Saturday afternoon in Gawler and further out then drive to Marion and play basketball

Also Johns playing football but not as onerous as Starling. Huge unknown to me

Reply #794252 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Who is Starling playing football for?

Reply #794280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the Barossa league, Tanunda maybe?

Reply #794293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville
Losing Deng was big but picked up Brine to provide more of an inside presence. Is Rios definitely back, if so would be the favourites to defend title. Depth the only issue.

North
Losing Starling is huge, but gaining Drmic is a coup. Dowdell will need to step up a bit in Starlings absence. Drmic and McVeigh on wings will be deadly but big questions at the point guard. And how will their defence cope losing its lynchpin in Starling to help on perimeter mistakes.

South
On paper it looks impressive, but question marks will be how it meshes under one of the worst coaches out there. Can see it going south (pun intended) real quick if the footy players cant contribute their usual output.

Southern
Totally new team with new coach. Humphries will put up big numbers, Holloway seems sound. If imports can be decent they could sneak into finals.

Woodville
No more excuses for Whitmore. McGriff will be the go to scorer they need, but going from his previous stint at Norwood where there was talent to give him space to suddenly being targeted each week, how will he cope. McGee a very handy pickup and provides athleticism in the paint. Should have gone for an import guard to control things. Will they continue to be the Syracuse of the league, only playing zone because they cant play man?

Sturt
If they get an effective import, my roughy to maybe squeak in. Alex Mudronja and Spear a handy local duo and they get Callegeros back to have some semblance of a post player.

Norwood
Despite a hot start, fell apart at end of season last year. Rumour of losing Legan is huge, single handedly won a few games for them, especially that shoot out away at Mt Gambier. Turnage a big pickup, but what will his chemistry be like with a couple of siblings playing there. Factor in a coach that doesn't know league, another year older and even less depth than before, this year I reckon they finally fall out of the finals race.

West
Their imports had better be damn good!

Eastern
As with West, their imports had better be damn good. However the gap with their local talent and West is a lot worse, especially losing McGee.

Centrals
On paper their imports look terrible and losing a tonne of shooting from last year. Teams will target Dau on the defensive end with no real help around him. Only because of Easterns imports will result in Centrals getting the wooden spoon.

Reply #794298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starling playing at Gawler Central Tigers which extends into the Barossa including Kapunda

Reply #794316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be interesting if clubs decide to swap the time slots of their home games against South as is their prerogative I believe. Play the men at 630... tough drive for starling straight into a game.

Reply #794322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West could surprise. Last year was Corey's first poor season. Expect a bounce back.

Reply #794464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thomas headed to Woodville is a big hole to fill for them, will be interesting to see

Reply #794469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are Woodville now the new favourites if true?

Reply #794480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North
"big questions at the point guard"

Why couldn't Drmic play the point?

Woodville
"Should have gone for an import guard to control things."

They did...

Reply #794481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The notion of Drmic playing the point is worth pondering but more if things break down. I think that 6 of their top 7 players are all 6' 5" plus. That makes for a tall team.

I would play Drmic and McVeigh for most of their time on court at the 2 and 3 spot. Throw the challenge out to other clubs to find the best match up on 6’ 6” plus wings knowing there is lot of flexibility if it needs to be changed up. This team will be strong defensively too.

But that said a lot of teams have strong line-ups and I don’t think there are any clear favourites

Reply #794491 | Report this post

Annonn  
Years ago

Thomas has gone to the USA. how many times we need to say it

Reply #794496 | Report this post

NBL1 Central  
Years ago

Drmic is a scoring wing, not a point guard. They need someone to distribute to Drmic & McVeigh plus defend quick guards. I think Harding can fill this void.

Woodville need a point guard in my opinion. Their import by the looks (I have only researched online not in person) is a scorer/shooter like Boonstoppel not a point guard.

Reply #794497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Drmic is a scoring wing, not a point guard."

Drmic is a basketball player...

He's capable of bringing the ball up the floor and running an offense. How is the fact he can score a downside?

Between him, Aistrope and Harding they'll be fine at the point.

Reply #794504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why couldn't Drmic play the point, same reason as Dowdell wont play the point, they're not point guards!

Reply #794505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#496 It has come up from a few sources, I spose will have to wait and see Rd 1.

Reply #794506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why couldn't Drmic play the point, same reason as Dowdell wont play the point, they're not point guards!"

If that's your rationale, your opinion is invalid. Thanks for trying though.

Reply #794507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle played the point for 36ers and he is no point guard!!!

Reply #794517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the geniuses on here have decided that Drmic is the new point guard for North. No wonder the 6ers struggled this year, should have had Drmic at the point and Randle at the 2 or 3.
Well I suppose he did have a stellar career at the point in college, wait, hang on......

Reply #794519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. This isn't NBL or college, genius.

2. The assertion was that he play some minutes at point - not that he is a PG by trade.

3. Google "positon-less basketball".

Reply #794521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umm, genius, the assertion was "why couldn't Drmic play minutes at the point", the argument is he's not a point guard, he's a scoring wing. Same as why can't Tom Brady play wide receiver. He could but it's not his job and he wouldn't do very well. He may well bring ball up and initiate offence on occasion but that's not his job, his job is to receive ball in scoring position and score.
And good for you, let's use Google to base our argument on. Some Google results say Donald Trump is greatest American president of all time. Buts let's entertain that for a minute, put Chris Paul and Joel Embiid on the same team and explain because of positionless basketball they have same responsibilities. Are you that thick? Last year DeWitt was best point guard, his job was to get ball to scorers and did it well. Who have North got. Last year was wildly inconsistent BJ, if they had reliable or they probably would have gone further.

Reply #794556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sad League if DeWitt is the best point guard.

Reply #794559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay 556. Keep living your life, champ.

Reply #794560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok 560, keep thinking Drmic is a point guard moron.

Reply #794561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #556

I can't follow your argument at all but when you said De Witt was best PG last year you just showed your ignorance. Tom Daly by a country mile

BJ and team mates got the Rockets to the finals. Perhaps if he didn’t play the final series with a broken bone in his right hand the story might be different

Reply #794563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did he break his hand?

Reply #794569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An unbroken hand wouldn't have helped him shoot any better going by his season before then so no, nothing was changing.

Reply #794577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kane averaged 9 or 10 assists a game. If not first he was the second best. Still not shabby

Reply #794578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North just happy to make finals... the point is to win them.

Reply #794583 | Report this post

Kane also a tenacious defender, willing to put his body and numbers on the line, and an insane culture guy

Reply #794586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DeWit has flaws in his game that are covered up by having 4 very good starters on the floor with him. Patty Thomas is a much better PG. Tom Daly the best of the bunch no doubt though.

Reply #794614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you say so

Reply #794615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#614 - 100% correct

Reply #794629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let me guess, Thomas scores more so he's better?

Reply #794630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any trial games this weeekend?

Reply #794652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mount Gambier to run through South, Woodville and Southern. That's what’s happening this weekend.

Reply #794654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually thats next weekend

Reply #794655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals were at broken Hill yesterday, how much they lose by?

Reply #794663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only a trial game but south smacked a full strength eagles team without Johns and Ellison.

West beat Woodville in a nail-biter... Woodville looked very average in 4th as neither imports are go to guys.

Reply #794740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Teys play? Did Starling play football before the game?

Reply #794746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes and I can't answer that

Reply #794748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

interesting I was at the game and it looked like both woodville imports had high 20s each

Hard for McGriff to be a go to guy in the fourth when he was fouled out for half of it

I'd say Hewitt will take most teams by surprise

Reply #794750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one said they were bad... But Woodville threw a big lead in the 4th and lost

Reply #794765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blokes who shouldn't have got minutes for Forestville did so I wouldn’t say they were full strength or taking the game as seriously as they should have been. Might have underestimated South. South played very well though, almost 20 point win wasn’t down to Andy’s subs.

Reply #794769 | Report this post

I love how you say blokes that shouldn't have gotten minutes did when Forestvilles reserves team finished 3rd in winter without those starters playing

Maybe the difference is not getting a chance to play instead of not having the ability to play at that level. Surely you know Andy doesn't like to sub

Being a trial game I'm sure there were a lot of players from both teams getting minutes they won't get once the season starts

Reply #794778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, when they got a chance to play they were rubbish. Case in point: last night. Again, please don't make it sound like I'm making excuses. South played well and hit shots.

Reply #794779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rios not playing. Not full strength. Apart from the streetball asian at the end I thought South played a pretty strong team.

Reply #794780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South pretty deep this year.. bit of a saving grace that they can go 9-10 deep so the footy guys can rest alot more

Reply #794782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South pretty deep this year.. bit of a saving grace that they can go 9-10 deep so the footy guys can rest alot more

Reply #794783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Rios actually playing this year. Some whispers saying he isn't which given the uproar over Forestville’s approach to get him classified as unrestricted seems pointless

Reply #794832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i heard that southern recruited michael jordan. rumours that dean has taken over coaching and thrown his wallet at the nba all star.

Reply #794895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any news on Norwood's replacement for legan? If they find a decent big I'd say they'd be favourites to win

Reply #794928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How on earth would Norwood be favourite with just a big?

Reply #794934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They also have the best player in the league in Turnage plus their veteran core. If they got a 20 and 10 big that's a championship team.

Reply #794947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They need guards.

Reply #794951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Veteran cores have an expiry date, just ask West.

Reply #794952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And losing Brine and Legan, their 2 best players from last year wouldn't leave a hole. And that veteran core are hanging on by a thread. Yep, definitely favourites!!!

Reply #794955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trial games nobody is going to push it because nobody wants injuries before the season starts...the real issue is getting use to the refing - now that's going to be a challenge.

Reply #794962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone name this "deep" South team please.

Reply #794971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood don't need guards they have both Webber’s and Lycett. Maybe Wurm coming home too.

Reply #794976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ANDREW BARTON AND BRAD JONNEK ARE ELITE BENCH PLAYERS OK

Reply #794979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wurm gone to southern.

Reply #794984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many recruits do southern have? They will bounce back from last years down year.

Reply #794986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing like club loyalty!!

Reply #794990 | Report this post

sman  
Years ago

barton is elite at missing wide open threes

Reply #794994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to admit southern looks like they've bounced back, being bankrupt be damned! Other clubs should try it.

Reply #795007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please don't bring up club loyalty as if thats a thing. No club is loyal to their juniors nowadays so why should you expect them to be

Reply #795028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how many players have played 100+ PL games and all their junior basketball at one club. There must be some loyal players out there

Reply #795040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern beat Sturt last night apparently by single digits. Any other trial games happening this week?

Reply #795072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By the sound of it Southern might have one of the best import combos in the league.

Reply #795101 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

And the best guard combo in the league with Humphreys and Holloway

Reply #795105 | Report this post

NBL 1 Fan  
Years ago

I heard that southern have cut Koop McCaloop from their NBL1 team? Weird decision 3 weeks from tip off.
Do they have another import coming in?

Reply #795111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it looks like

Southern and South

Then Forestville and Norwood

Then West

Then who cares after that?

Reply #795129 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Forestville and wait for it Norwood lol

Reply #795143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you just naming teams? There's 5 more left.

Reply #795146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Other five won't make it!

Reply #795149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No North huh, interesting.

Reply #795153 | Report this post

Skankhunt42  
Years ago

Here that south have another 2 elite guards coming in... stay tuned

Reply #795195 | Report this post

Skankhunt42  
Years ago

Can't wait for the season to start, my top pick is my gambier

Reply #795196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South getting Dillon and White?

Reply #795200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guy said elite guards, that rules white and dillon out!

Reply #795217 | Report this post

Annonn  
Years ago

schedule released, some interesting times for Mens games if correct, getting away from the traditional men first. Some mens games starting at 615pm

Reply #795307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Changing of the order of games must be with the agreement of both teams. If I were South I would challenge that

Reply #795329 | Report this post

Dildoswaggins  
Years ago

Whaaaaaat?! Changing time slots, this is an outrage!!!!!

Reply #795366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Home team has the right to choose the time. Or always have in the past.

Reply #795386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Incorrect. Minor round games and sequencing of games only with agreement of other team. This was one item discussed at a PL review last year between clubs and BSA. Any changes to times and men first was agreed that only if both parties agree. Hmmm Forestville involved again!!! Is Andy running scared?

Reply #795387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More like the Homer Simpson of the league, Jamie, didn't quite catch on that teams were screwing him getting his star recruits to basically play a game of footy, travel, then suit up for a basketball game. Forget the DJ debacle from a few years back, pretty bad taking advantage of the thick kid.
If South's out of top 5 halfway through they really need to sack him.

Reply #795391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Incorrect. Minor round games and sequencing of games only with agreement of other team."

So by that rationale, South agreed to the change and f***** themselves.

Pretty sure you're the one that's incorrect, but if you're not then that says a lot about South.

Reply #795397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ I'm correct - so South agreed to this or BSA forgot and South didn’t pick it up.

Reply #795400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given the shambles in that organisation still without a head office I'd say BSA just didn't even realise it was a policy that the away team had to agree.

Reply #795401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I mean Starling is good but is he "change the game time" good?

Reply #795404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The answer is no

Reply #795407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Make em play the late game. 2 more hours for the bruising and corkeys to set in

Reply #795412 | Report this post

Annonn  
Years ago

I know that mostly the mens game is discussed in this forum, but Sturt signing Nicole seakamp is huge. They also have signed kartinyeri, who proved herself at eastern last year. Great back court!!

Reply #795592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do those two stack up against Angley, Metcalf, Thornett, Bails.

I think North will improve this year

Reply #795713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North women are stacked. Should be a lot better than last year lol. It will be interesting to see how other women's teams go.

Reply #795787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South and Sturt more stacked

Reply #795826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard Tigers have knocked off the Pioneers tonight in Millicent. Have probably been overlooked as legitimate title contenders so far but are proving to be among the pre season favourites.

Reply #795901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South and southern women stacked more, with whom?

Reply #795908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern beat Mt Gambier? Is this for real and what were the scores?

Reply #795915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern up double digits a lot of the game won by around 5. Southern PG went down with knee injury. Gambier missing a few players you'd think

Reply #795955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

97-94. Mount Gambier missing Jordan Hunter and their G-League import.

Reply #795981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both men's and women’s teams in preseason tourney?

Reply #795983 | Report this post

sman  
Years ago

which team will bring joey in as coach

Reply #795986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How bad was knee injury?

Reply #795987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any more pre-season results? Heard Eagles just beat Mavs

Reply #796276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Andy running scared allegedly not allowing anyone to watch the game - even parents weren't allowed into the behind closed door game.

Reply #796291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is he running to?

Reply #796304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think somewhere in the opposite direction to Marion and Morphett Vale

Reply #796309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

eagles beat mavs by how much?

Reply #796320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So he's running north? Not sure where you're going with this troll, but I'm sure you can salvage it.

Reply #796326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jordan West to Sturt good pickup for them, I wonder in Petty reached out to him as well?

Reply #796336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville thumped by Mount Gambier.

Reply #796374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South's 23s team beat tigers league team in overtime.

Reply #796512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eagles Mavs wasn't closed door

Reply #796516 | Report this post

Annonn  
Years ago

West internal scrimmage was intersting, spud running lots of point. Nate Shepperd is crazy athletic. His pre game warm ups will be fun!

Reply #796560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is their other import here yet?

Reply #796561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's happening at Norwood with a replacement with Legan

Reply #796591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A writeup of some results

we started off the night with a clash of rivals between the South Adelaide Panthers and the Woodville Warriors. South Adelaide come out strong from the start scoring at high speeds and often. At the start of the second quarter, Woodville started to return fire shooting from deep with accuracy, led by star Joey Hewitt the warriors lived up the name fighting hard for every loose ball and creating turnovers with hard defence. The third quarter saw Woodville stay hot as they continued their excellent shooting. As the final quarter started South Adelaide stepped up the intensity another level creating a strong atmosphere, with both teams shooting well from all levels it was up to the team's defence to get them the win. Woodville Warriors def. South Adelaide 117-96

Leading Scorers:
Tanner Giddings - South Adelaide Panthers - 32 points
Bryan McGriff - Woodville Warriors - 25 points
Joey Hewitt - Woodville Warriors- 23 points

In the second game of the night, we had fan favourites Mount Gambier Pioneers take on the first appearances Southern Tigers. the Tigers took no time to show to the full crowd that they mean business as they started out strong with a well-executed offence and staggering defence starting the game off quickly and not stopping as they continued into the second quarter started shooting the ball at an outstanding rate and applying more pressure against the pioneers, who were starting to come into form getting stops on defence and making tough shots. in the third quarter, the intensity was at a night high with both teams fighting for the ball. both teams were pulling as the strings on their offence scoring was fast and quick with both teams using speed and strength to get to the basket. The final quarter was the most intense of them all with the Pioneers battling hard bringing the game to only a few points the Southern Tigers has to work as a team to get past the Pioneers intense defence. the fought hard but it was only a little too late with star Tom Daly hitting a half-court shot on the buzzer the final score was 100-94 for the Southern Tigers.

Leading Scorers:
Dave Humphries - Southern Tigers - 34 points
Viont'e Daniels - Southern Tigers - 24 points
Tom Kubank - Mt Gambier Pioneers - 21 points

Reply #796593 | Report this post

Annonn  
Years ago

West second import Robert Sampson played.... good skill set, was getting lost in offence sets. Not as Big as expected, looked my like a 3/4 - good inside outside game

Reply #796623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which Southern guard hurt his knee. Is it bad?

Reply #796634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holloway. Looked to be acl

Reply #796644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pre-season trial games are BS games. Teams only want to run and see who works well with whom, and run a few plays. It's not about winning or losing - nobody gives a crap. You just makes sure that your players don't get injured before the season starts.

BSA totally unorganised for the games. Lucky there are a few refs that can pull together.

Reply #796691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"BSA totally unorganised for the games"

Like the other week delaying a game at Port Adelaide for over an hour because BSA messed up the referee roster.

Reply #796702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA is run by refs and "nuf nufs" so surely they can get off their backsides and put a ref roster in place!!!
Where is big Joe at now that his meal ticket coaching mate has committed coaching hari kari.

Reply #796712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How were the imports in the Millicent tournament? Looks like Southern's could be the best in the league. Woodville and South look like they are ok but Southern a cut above.

Reply #796993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't one of Southern's imports do their knee at Millicent?

Reply #796995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No. That was one of their Australian recruits.

Reply #796997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way, Centrals imports the best, pfffft, sorry, can't keep a straight face, they're shocking. Looks like Atkins was the problem at Woodville choosing imports, I wonder if these guys would even get paid?

Reply #797016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best in the league lol

Southern's import had 18 points in a loss to South 23s....dont get me wrong he's good don't disrespect CJ like that tho and souths import averaged 32pts in tournament fyi

Reply #797048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Norwood played any trials?

Reply #797050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern's pair will have more impact than CJ though. As far as I know he will be their only import.

Reply #797056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will they miss any finals because of a wedding?

Reply #797075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares if they have been honest and open with coach up front. Then it is up to the coach to decide if he will live with that

Reply #797110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard a few teams have played the under 18 state team. Any info on this. Did the state team beat any mens teams?

Reply #797141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Sturt and Woodville played them but no idea of results

Who is Norwood's second import?

Reply #797623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard they beat Sturt, lost to Woodville and got thumped by North.

Reply #797624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So North PL team thumped North U18s. I would have hoped so!

Reply #797670 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Any scores from the North v Eastern game tonight?

Reply #797821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I might have blinked and missed it but any info on Sturts import, heard they are only going for one again. Strange thing about that is apparently they want to give Sturt juniors the opportunity to play yet they've signed Jordan West and Spear. Is it economics then, but if they had 2 good imports you'd put them in as contenders, up there with best local talent.

Reply #797823 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sturt no money. Spear and west doing very well though.

Reply #797833 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

That's actually wrong about Spear and West. Both offered more elsewhere so don’t state things you have no idea about. Only getting small amounts to play. No money in this league for sure.

Reply #797839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless you are McVeigh or Drimic

Reply #797840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt building up impressive rosters on both teams without spending one dollar - well that is what they would want you to believe

Reply #797841 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

No they are spending money, just not wasting money...

Reply #797843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North beat Eastern by 16.

Reply #797844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So tell me who is wasting money?

Reply #797847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let me guess,

Wasting money - Eagles, North, Norwood, South, Southern, Woodville, West, Centrals and Eastern.

Not wasting money - Sturt

Is that about right Sabre deniers??

Reply #797849 | Report this post

NBL 1 Fan  
Years ago

Southern are paying Lwal from centrals to move down south for the 2020 season!

Reply #797862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which one of Southern's imports did they let go in order to bring in Lwal?

Reply #797865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems southern not broke after all , no budget cuts down at tiger land, make 2 staff redundant and give the savings to senior coaches to spend

Reply #797917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt have amongst the highest junior fees, spend nothing on seniors yet their position as premier junior club is slipping. Are they spending this money wisely on juniors or just wasting money!

Reply #798098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone confirm if every NBL 1 Central game will be live streamed? As the NBL 1 South is??

Reply #798118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes and one round a week on Kayo

Reply #798122 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Well placed people say differently about sturt and paying overs. You want players - you pay just like others do. Good luck to players - honour to be in blue. Bonus to be payee. Local true blues... club loyalty rewards.

Reply #798124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^can someone translate please

Reply #798125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So will clubs stream themselves or is this a BSA/NBL 1 obligation?

Reply #798132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA/NBL thing

Reply #798133 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

North will be streaming games and the club will be doing it themselves

Reply #798134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Holloway out for year apparently with knee, is player payments covered by insurance? If so that could be reason why they could afford Lwal. Or is it just bad luck and Holloway doesn't get paid?

Reply #798139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North will not be doing themselves!

Reply #798141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Lights Showcourt has built in cameras

Reply #798147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like The Lights will be doing it themselves then.

Reply #798148 | Report this post

NBL1 Central  
Years ago

BSA is responsible for supplying multi-camera production suitable for NBLTV and the game of the week (mens and womens) will be streamed on NBLTV
All other games (8) each will be single-camera production
BSA to supply the commentary for game of the week.
BSA is responsible for all aspects of the streaming
Do not think that all games will be streamed live
No idea if clubs can do their own streaming

Reply #798162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge pick up for Southern right before the season. Lawl did the right thing to go play for Southern and leave Centrals. Him and Dave Humpheires are going to be tough matchups for the league.

Reply #798199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of clubs stream, think Centrals only one that doesn't.

Reply #798214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not kid ourselves , Lwals decision was purely financial , money talks

Reply #798229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Central's being absolutely trash doesn't have anything to do with it?

Reply #798243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And is Lawl wrong for that? You make it seem like he made the wrong choice. Money does talk, and he made the right decision and I'm sure any player on Centrals would of done the same thing if they had the same offer on the table.

Same league, better team, way more money? Sounds like a no brainer for the kid

Reply #798274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So let me get this straight, Southern just poached one of Centrals best on the eve of the season or did they poach him a while back?

Reply #798280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

274, like Southern you don't know the full story. Watch this space.

Reply #798281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lwal was looking at playing in Melbourne as he had trained with United at beginning of season, not sure what happened.

Reply #798288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct. He moved back home and was deciding where to play. Southern gave him more money, nothing wrong with that at all. Smart decision for him.

Kid has a bright future, fun to watch him this season.

Reply #798296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kid went to Melbourne, realised he wasn't up to big minutes so came home and got overpaid by a club that has been doing it for multiple years now.

Reply #798305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern used to pay to get Drmic or Creek. Not Lwal whoever he is!

Have to look at it now and say the administration are the ones saying they must spend the money and coaches are overpaying for get whoever they can.

At least before they were title contenders.

Reply #798308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shows your ignorance if you don't know who Lwal Diing is moron

Reply #798309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#308 - Lol why would administration be telling their NBL1 coaches to spend? Their admin person was let go to save money. "Go spend money we don't have so my hours get cut."

Admin staff are never the people in Bball clubs telling senior coaches to spend on rosters.

Budgets are set by committees, boards etc.

Reply #798312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I meant administration as in their board, committee.. whoever sits above the coaches. I just know coaches here tend to be the ones who get slammed for over spending.

Lwal Diing or whoever he is is not the same as a 36er.

Reply #798318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are you making that comparison though?

One anon is guessing that Southern offered him more money than Centrals - which is not the main reason he left by the way.

Even if it were, that doesn't infer Southern are spending the same amount for him as they did for Drmic etc.

So many ill-informed comments.

Reply #798319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lwal 100% left for more money ,

Reply #798332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern are paying more than last year by a long way now. 2 imports 2 WA recruits, Lwal. All adds up.

Reply #798334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure, believe that if you want.

Reply #798335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern may be paying more for their imports and interstate recruits than they did for similar players last year - from what I've heard that's highly likely. That's not what you implied though.

You implied that Lwal was getting paid the same as a 36er (based on what seems like zero inside knowledge). That's stupid.

Reply #798337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern were paying a SHITLOAD FOR CJ,Johns and Drmic. They still paying a tonne but not as much as last year.

Reply #798356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's great that Southern have a huge debt they are repaying, have downgraded they coaching development position to part time and committee biased appointments and are still trying to buy NBL Central championships.

What a waste of money they don’t really have!!!

Reply #798389 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:29 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754