Flames
Years ago

Norwood AGM

To All [paid voting] Members of Norwood Flames Basketball Club, NFBC's Annual General Meeting will be held at ARC Campbelltown on Sunday 23 February 2020 at 9.45 am. A Special General Meeting will be held at the same time.

Hope to See you there!

(Mod: Added clarification in square brackets.)

Topic #46936 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, better lock this real quick.

Reply #794503 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Where is my invite? Only 2 days away?

Reply #794508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you have an agm and a special agm at the same time? is that possible?

Reply #794515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure you can achieve the same things at a AGM as an SGM

Reply #794518 | Report this post

FishCrow  
Years ago

Change in constitution would be the reason for SGM
Look out.

Reply #794522 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I see the original post has been edited. I smell a rat.

Reply #794525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My 3 kids have been playing at the club for many years where can i find out how to become a member please? why didnt i know about this and why is the agm limited to only paid members?

Reply #794529 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

There are other forms and policies on the Norwood website but I don't see anywhere to join and pay to become a member. This seems to be an exclusive membership only open to a select few?

Reply #794533 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

So one of the largest clubs in SA can do a call out for help for cars and accommodation for their american coaches and players but they don't have the decency to inform these same people of an agm or change of constitution?

Reply #794536 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I would almost take up membership just to vote the stirrers in...where do I sign up?

Reply #794550 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Love you Jack Toft.

Reply #794551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe money might be put on the bar to pay for your membership!!!

Reply #794552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The couple of clubs I've been at includes members as parents of children playing at the club as well as senior players and coaches. So at Norwood on top of the highest fees in state you also have to pay to be a member!!! What a load of crap, and indeed all the shit stirring opponents of current regime show up and get rid of dead wood.
Btw, anyone know the reason for special AGM?

Reply #794553 | Report this post

Im pretty sure, under club policy, 2 weeks notice of an AGM and/or SGM is required to all members by appropriate means, ie website, email. Life members are also to be personally notified by email or snail mail. Hoops is not the appropriate method of notification. This gives people the means to become paid members. I'm pretty sure that if you are over 18 and have your subs paid you are a (playing) member.

I also find this very suspicious.
With all the criticism and I’ll feeling toward this committee, you would assume that decisions be made with honesty and openness.
Any decision made can now be contested as this AGM and SGM is invalid.

I actually think they realised that the previous years AGM has to be conducted by EOY, February the following year at the latest under special circumstances.

Reply #794557 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

This says a lot about the leadership at the club and is a real worry. Too many conflicts of interest and behind the scenes activities that will sooner or later catch up with them.

Reply #794562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood committee couldn't lead ants to food let alone a basketball club

Reply #794564 | Report this post

Phil Mycrak  
Years ago

Rumour has it a couple people going to attempt to shake up the presidency even though the AGM has been announced late to avoid it

Reply #794571 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Why wasn't an open call out done to give people and opportunity to become a member BEFORE the AGM? BSA to should be alerted to this. Who are the club members anyways ? A group of made up people ?

Reply #794594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The people/family running the club mean well, have hearts in right place, but the major issue is they truly believe they are much better at the game/admin/coaching than what they actually are. This creates an issue where they are not able to listen to feedback and gain insights, adapt and improve. Further, there is obviously always biased views on their value and where those views are supported and their false self-perceptions of importance and capabilities are reinforced those particular people will be quickly bought into the circle to the detriment of those actually with the capabilities to move the club forwards.

Norwood has far too long underachieved, has failed many of its juniors and until the club finds someone willing to have the hard conversations the status quo will continue.

I feel for those Premier League coaches they bought in. Totally ignorant to the situation, out of their depth but went into roles that no one else wanted to take on.

Reply #794602 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Why so many good families are leaving Norwood, the ones who have been at the club for a very long time, supporting the club at all costs. something very serious must be happening at club to see good loyal people leaving. management has dwindled to nothing.

Reply #794603 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

There is still time to postpone meeting and allow everyone the opportunity to join as a member. If management want to be transparent and have nothing to hide then this is the only way forward.

Reply #794607 | Report this post

Change  
Years ago

The change in constitution will be to include the Adelaide Community League
Look at the email address for the president
They have big plans I think

Reply #794643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man, so many idiots here. I dont know anything about the local scene there but to vote as in all AGM:s you have to be a member. You can't join and vote in an AGM because that year has already been concluded.
Someone posted "Why wasn't an open call out done to give people and opportunity to become a member BEFORE the AGM? "
Join as a member, an open call out? WTF. You clearly had a chance to join for the upcoming season and YOU chose not to and now you are bitching?

Then some other idiot said "There is still time to postpone meeting and allow everyone the opportunity to join as a member. " It doesn't happen that way. Yet another one who clearly didn't become a member in time.
Yet another idiot said "Norwood committee couldn't lead ants to food let alone a basketball club" Clearly not a member who could have changed the committee by becoming a memberand who hasn't joined.
One again I know nothing of this situation and the anonymous idiots post here bitching about their own ability to join and make a change.

Reply #794649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An understanding of the Association Incorporated Act and their own constitution is what is required. I have not seen their constitution. However, one would understand that there would be (as there usually is) a process for inviting members to an AGM, a section clearly defines members and a process for the calling of an AGM, which would include timelines and methods of providing notice to members and most importantly giving time to call for nominations for the term end board positions.

On that, normally just because a termed board position has changed by casual vacancy appointment throughout it's term, doesn't mean that it is not to be called for nominations if the position is at term end. Or any other casual vacancy appointments to other positions would then effect the calling of nominations for positions that were at term end. Most constitutions will stipulate term length of President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer and are normally 2 year terms and also term lengths of other director positions are typically 1 year terms. Furthermore, usually the President/VP/Treasurer and Secretary positions are alternating terms eg: President and Treasurer elected one year, Secretary and VP elected the next year).

Not withstanding all the reporting, auditing and appointments of Public Officer and Auditors among other business which would have to be organised to table at the AGM if it is not yet already organised.

Not withstanding, there are also regulations and processes in place for the calling of an SGM (which is normally meant for conducting business similar to that you conduct at an AGM but with special resolution, without having to wait for next AGM to come around again... normally an SGM is bought upon by members and most of the time consitutions will stipulate how that is done, eg: a percentage or certain number of membership base petitioning to call an SGM. It is very irregular to conduct and SGM immediately following an AGM, as you would normally be able to conduct such business at the AGM anyway. Unless, process has been met to have an SGM which could give rise to changing what was resolved at the AGM (perhaps, can't think of any other reason for it really, otherwise why not just do it at the AGM or just have an SGM).

Who knows unless you are in the inner sanctum and I don't know, because I am not even related to the situation... just looking from the outside. But, action of calling an AGM on this time frame and in this manner seems questionable. I guess that is what people are pointing out.

Maybe it is a case that people new to association committees/boards very rarely understand the governing laws and regulations they are accountable to and then often make technical mistakes which allow others to perceive a lack of transparency or take exception to (it happens all too often)... maybe it is deliberate and maybe not.

Whatever the case, if the SSO was keeping an eye on governing the sport then there would be tools to help overcome this being problem (such as governance training and workshops for all new committee members across the state for all affiliates, or at minimum the sharing of the ORS and Sport SA fact sheets that are readily available regarding good governance and understanding the laws and regulations that govern association incorporate bodies, as well as the responsibility of being a director of such an entity... whilst these positions are generally volunteer positions, they still have an executive level of responsibility and accountability to them.

If from the inner sanctum they have followed their constitution and the act itself, then there are no problems. However, it seems people are perceiving that this has been handled in such a way that gives rise to question that. There is always an associated risk of not following due processes in business (no matter what the business).

Reply #794650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone please clarify if you're a parent that's up to date with fees or a player 18 and above that you are a member. Or can anyone just pay a membership fee and suddenly determine the direction of a club when they have no relationship to it. So people from other clubs can show up in their colours for shits and giggles and create even more chaos.
Seems stupid. Or did the club think it would bring more revenue in by charging more on top of ridiculous fees.

Reply #794651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, the person throwing around idiot left right and centre is a mastermind. Since when can a member join and not vote in coming meetings? Might happen in MENSA where you're from but not many other places. AGM will discuss previous years business plus plans for future. When would a member join then to be part of both?
Won't go into your other arguments because you're obviously special needs.

Reply #794653 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Usually your child's fees won't make you a member of the club as the fees are just for player registration. There is a seperate members fee for this. A lot of clubs will include memberships in seniors fees, especially smaller clubs where the players are the only volunteers, as it allows them to be on committees and volunteer for various roles to keep the club going. If you just have children playing and you don't have any interests in the club, or volunteer, coach, etc then you won't know much of this. Clubs require volunteers to give up their time to operate and clubs are usually only as good as the volunteers they get.

Reply #794656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet again the anonymous clueless people just simple rag on anyone. The AGM is usually called at a date that is in the NEXT financial year. IE after the season is over. So you can't sign up and vote on LAST years aganda.
Once again someone who knows nothing about the dynamics yet is prepared to make idiotic statements.

Reply #794659 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Seems so trivial really. All clubs have agms. Those interested attend. Most don't. Those who don't usually attend become biggest wankers loudest empty vessels.
Hardworking volunteers cope the short straw. Put head on chopping block become targets. Same old. Proud club like Norwood will be fine. Next week be another negative push by sad people.

Reply #794661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#659. That is just wrong!

Reply #794662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So new members can't vote for new nominees for committee, they have to wait for next financial year #659? How does that work mastermind, just asking for a friend?

Reply #794664 | Report this post

flame  
Years ago

It seems what people are upset about is that the agm has been openly
Announced in the past but not on this occasion. People who received the invitation to attend were even told to keep quiet. This is what has got people upset I don't think
Some of the people posting have a clue what is going on

Reply #794665 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

All I need to know is who is it that people DON'T want elected so I can join up and vote them in

Reply #794666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flame, if you are correct and they didn't comply with the Constitution around notifications then there are legal remedies. What is most disturbing if true is the comment don’t tell others.

Reminds me of all the issues at Woodville maybe 5+ years ago. Not a good look for the club.

If people aggrieved look at other options

Reply #794674 | Report this post

Anoying  
Years ago

What's an AGM

Reply #794678 | Report this post

sman  
Years ago

this is why i am not and never will be involved in basketball ever again

Reply #794685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Join now and you can't vote for the current years AGM. You can't join NOW and vote for last years AGM. Are you seriously that thick?

Reply #794688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"All I need to know is who is it that people DON'T want elected so I can join up and vote them in".

Are you a member Jack?

Reply #794689 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Think much ado about nothing...
Members get to vote. Very simple. Best of luck. So over these disgruntled.

Reply #794690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All you do for previous years business is ask questions, can't vote for the past. Only thing you can vote for is the current and future, are YOU that thick?

Reply #794691 | Report this post

Gob  
Years ago

geez what a bunch of drama queens. Get your act together

Reply #794718 | Report this post

slick  
Years ago

so what happened

Reply #794770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Silence

Reply #794863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #794868 | Report this post

Tow ball  
Years ago

I heard that the family with the name that must not be spoken has now changed the job title of President to "Emperor" any who dare to oppose there reign will disappear faster than comments in this thread. I've also heard rumours that they’re spending the last of the clubs money on a noise cancelling eco-chamber so they no longer hear negative feedback and can still hear the sound of their own voices. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not?

Reply #794871 | Report this post

Phil Mycrak  
Years ago

I can confirm that Tow ball and what a fitting name that be. I wonder when the announcement of Norwood appointing a ceo instead of a president will happen. Just another way the emperor can run that club into the ground. All hail the king

Reply #794872 | Report this post

The king  
Years ago

Paying the ceo is the same as paying the pilot of the titanic

Reply #794875 | Report this post

red54  
Years ago

As predicted the puppet master continues to control his puppets to the detriment of others with no regard for anyone but himself and the inner sanctum.

Reply #794898 | Report this post

Briber Chews  
Years ago

All hail Emperor Whipper

Reply #794900 | Report this post

slick  
Years ago

bunch of bitches if its so bad leave

Reply #794938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AGM's are supposed to be announced in writing 30 days prior to the meeting. At the AGM all positions are declared terminated and vacant. Then people apply for the position(s) and then voted in. If they don't follow the by-laws they could get in a lot of trouble with the government if pursued.

Reply #794961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yup.

Reply #794963 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

938 - people shouldnt have to leave based on this. thats the issue here because it shouldnt be happening in the first place

Reply #794966 | Report this post

carpetcall  
Years ago

outside looking in, any club that has 4 closely related people on Management and also part of the Executive governance would not be good.

disagree with me you can leave, like me you can say, am I wrong, no I am not my relatives tell me I am doing a great job. Committees IMO shouldn't be weighted in any which direction. ie junior committee made up of all parents of boys. All friends and all think, act the same. someone has to be devils advocate.

A previous president ripped Woodville apart and disappeared when the going got tough. Hope it doesn't happen to a once powerful and proud club in Norwood.

Reply #794970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

carpetcall ^

"A previous president ripped Woodville apart and disappeared when the going got tough."

That is one side - careful about what you write and claim there. Old ground but very legal ground.

Reply #794977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is anyone able to state what actually occurred at norwoods AGM? Do they have a CEO position now or was that fabrication made on this post.

Reply #795017 | Report this post

inner sanctum  
Years ago

We the inner sanctum are not allowed to speak or make any reference to the AGM.

Reply #795026 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

New venue. Massive growth. Huge development. Let's build. Work together. Clubs need clubs to support... innovation progressive inclusive recognise strengths and weaknesses and project United front..time for actions coupled with positive generic affirmation. Ask yourself am I a better option. Reflection with hindsight is wonderful tool. As someone said for the good of the game.. clear footprints will allow others to follow.

Reply #795033 | Report this post

You a Jehovo?  
Years ago

What AGM?
By the letter of the law and from what I understand, there was no legal AGM.
If anyone could be bothered they could contest the meeting and any decisions/positions made.

Crazy thing in all of this is Chris is doing a decent job, it's just his process which has upset several people.

Reply #795034 | Report this post

False hope  
Years ago

Sadly, the Emperor was appointed to his current position based on his last name and not his track record or experience. 99% of the club wouldn't even know how he was able to gain this position in the first place. Here we have a man with poor communication skills that does not portray one ounce of leadership material in public or behind closed doors. On one hand the Emperor claims to be engaging a new generation of coaches and on the other hand is very old school; puts in place a compulsory code of conduct where families are forced to attend mandatory sessions and sign documents but doesn't follow this code of conduct himself.
Won't listen to important issues surrounding the club, is only there for his and his families interests and a select few of his mates. Staff and coaches working close to him don't even support him, can barely tolerate him, but their hands are tied as their kids play at the club, so they pretend to support him while holding their breaths.

Reply #795041 | Report this post

slick  
Years ago

false hope

sounds like a lot of two faced hypocrites at norwood from what you are saying

Reply #795060 | Report this post

try hard  
Years ago

Forget president! Try the man as a "coach".

Reply #795085 | Report this post

Change  
Years ago

This club was well organised and managed under Jenny Clarke? A few years ago now

Reply #795420 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:32 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754