KET
Years ago

The Hub

Everyone's going to be happy with this.

" Channel 7 is confident viewers won’t notice a significant difference in its revamped AFL coverage, which will include commentating games without being at the venue.

Channel 7 commentators will call this year’s rebooted AFL season from a hi-tech remote bunker rather than from the ground venues in order to adhere to strict COVID-19 protocols."

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/teams/channel-7-set-to-call-afl-games-from-remote-bunker-to-adhere-to-social-distancing-rules/news-story/721f054d2f901383aa6494a089544e99

Before someone becomes that person, the AFL has NOT been called from a hub for AFL season games before this.

Topic #47212 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No crowds and commentators form a hub... AFL about to be exposed for lackluster sport it is.

Reply #805246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#246 with the brain dead insight. Yeah most popular sport in the country is lacklustre. Job Einstein

Reply #805249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really want to see Roaming Brian in the Hub.

Reply #805253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"#246 with the brain dead insight. Yeah most popular sport in the country is lacklustre."

Just because there are rusted-on footy supporters out there, it doesn't mean the sport hasn't lost its appeal.

Reply #805256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm just looking forward to the daily news update on when they will predict AFL will be back

Reply #805258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if posting a thread about the AWFL please tag it

Reply #805259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#249 - popularity is a point of view.

Reply #805265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL in Australia is like Curling in Canada. Incomprehensible to the rest of the world with no scope for an increase in popularity beyond its isolated group of rusted-on fans.

Reply #805290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why it's popular isn’t relevant really. The fact it dominates the Australian sporting landscape and has clearly the highest attendances by a mile is all that matters.

Reply #805294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The afl gets much media coverage in all forms it would not be that hard to be popular. At a guess I'd say the nba and premier league is more popular in Australia with minor media coverage. Nsw and Queensland the afl popularity is very poor considering the media coverage.

Reply #805298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd suggest when clubs have over 70,000 paying members you’d probably be wrong. In 2019 the Sydney Swans had 61,000 members. Guess AFL is popular in Sydney

Reply #805301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5.5 million people in Sydney, I'd say 61000 ain’t that many and it was a one off year and they have buddy who is one of the most entertaining players. That mob out in the inner west talk up members but lucky to get 10000 to games. Gold Coast get nothing and Brisbane only when there winning.

Reply #805314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2018 60,934
2019 61,912

Buddy has hardly played both years. Do you have anymore excuses? How many NRL teams have that type of membership?

Reply #805316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Buddy always playing when memberships go out. What's the percentage of 5.5 million to 61,000... not much. Melbourne have three sides with more members on there own. Most people in Sydney call it gay fl.

Reply #805320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry how does that compare to NRL memberships? AFL fans know buddy ain't playing all year. You’re struggling to make any point here mate. If it’s gay AFL, Sydney would be all over the gay. The reality is your argument of "it was a one off year" looks kinda stupid. Like you!

Reply #805323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You haven't looked at the percentages mate explain how that shows it popular, the kings get bigger crowds than the giants with no media coverage.

Reply #805326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You still don't answer the question muppets. How does it compare to NRL? How does that % look ? Kings don’t get greater crowds than the Swans. If you just answer the question you can slink away quietly

Reply #805328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let me help, 3 out of the top 5 NRL memberships are not from NSW. The highest NSW membership last year was 29,614 to South Sydney. Yeah I don't think the AFL and the Swans are popular!!!

Reply #805329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greater Western Sydney has more members than all NSW NRL teams except South Sydney and Parramatta. Yeah not popular

Reply #805336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are the swans average crowds, the afl talk memberships up, fuck me the giants start selling one game memberships halfway through the season. That's not a membership, the swans might have 60000 members but don’t even sell out the SCG. You might be a swans- South Melbourne tragic but it hardly makes much talk up in Sydney. Re the NRL I don’t give a rats and it get miles of cover in Sydney but attract not many.

As I said 60000 out 5.5 million is hardly great.

Reply #805341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 x greater than any NRL team. South Sydney have 29,000 out of 5.5 million. 2 afl teams have over 86,000 members. That's like 6 or 7 NSW NRL clubs. What’s the average NRL crowd....about 16,500 (across all states) . Sydney Swans averaged 31,000 in 2019. AFL is and will continue to be the most popular and most well attended sport in the country. Sorry to upset your attempt at a different narrative

Reply #805342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When people get to work in Sydney on Monday mornings, they ain't discussing afl, as much as your dream world mind thinks they are.

Reply #805346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But they probably are...

Reply #805354 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

AFL are clearly the biggest league in the country fan base wise.

People who don't agree, it’s not due to numbers, it’s some arbitrary nonsense they make up in their mind to reconcile their view.

I’m not a big soccer fan, but I’m also not stupid enough to believe it isn’t the biggest sport in many countries around the world.

Reply #805356 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

The Swans memberships come from two states as they have their old South Melbourne allegiance.
The AFL is big machine. Massive government funding and government program support at school level and grassroots.
Imagine if the taxpayers subsidised other sports to the tune of hundreds millions of dollars. In South Australia the Crows were gifted the land at West Lakes. Then the councils and government were going to pay for them to build new home base in our Parklands. The taxpayers payed for the upgrade Adelaide oval for the AFL with hundreds of millions of dollars.
How much taxpayers money has been poured into Sydney over last 3 decades.

Reply #805415 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Then the councils and government were going to pay for them to build new home base in our Parklands."

Proposal wasn't for the council to spend the $60 odd million lol. It was for the Crows to take over the existing Aquatic Centre and redevelop.

An aquatic centre which is old, in need of renovations and costing tax payers over a million each year.

The nimbys and local Adelaide pissantry is strong the moment anything rational is proposed in that town!

Reply #805420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illawarra has been trying to get a netball, basketball stadium down in their region but no success, get screwed by the WEC or go back to snake pit. Basketball gets nothing while the afl gets government hand out in hundreds of millions. Blacktown council spent a bomb to get giants out there but spoilt players who wanted to live in the eastern suburbs, northern beaches areas inner west areas would not go out there so the nsw government spent millions on upgrade to the Sydney show ground plus a brand new training centre and oval next door.
As the rock star says half Sydney's support base is in Melbourne, they hardly ever get capacity crowds to the SCG. Afl is hype by the media but Sydney still is not that solid on afl unless they are winning.

Reply #805427 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Because we can restrict international travel easier than other places being an island, we don't need global eradication, just need majority elimination in Australia/NZ.

Until that occurs, can’t have crowds inside stadiums or even things like public transport where everyone is packed in like sardines - otherwise we will escalate American style l.

Those active numbers are worth tracking - for sporting crowds to return Governments will likely require virtually no active plus no new cases for a period of over 3 weeks.

Straight away Victoria is unlikely to achieve that before October. SA looks pretty good odds at getting there by July/August.

Fingers crossed

Reply #805436 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Wrong thread soz

Reply #805438 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

@KET, I think you will find the government had promised to fork out tens of millions of dollars of taxpayers money into the Crows parklands upgrade. Public land for private entity to build on and use. Another debate for another time.

Reply #805441 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:25 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754