Isaac
Years ago

Perth Wildcats sign Bryce Cotton to three year deal

(Yes, I know there are a variety of threads already, but it's a slow off-season.)

Topic #47252 | Report this topic

Smac76  
Years ago

Meanwhile the 36ers are going with one import. Why bother

Reply #806469 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Smac76....yep and the owner keeps banging on about bringing a championship back to Adelaide, what a clown.

Reply #806470 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

He's back.. and will be the GOAT!

Reply #806471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much $?

Reply #806472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats Perth fans.

As a non-Perth fan I will enjoy watching Bryce do his thing against all teams but my own, then cry into my hands during our match-ups.

Reply #806473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

guessing Kay not returning and 3 yrs 1 million

Reply #806474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could not agree more.

Reply #806476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

easy deal ?

first yr with virus 150,000
2nd yr 550,000
third yr 300,00

Reply #806477 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Great news for Perth and the NBL.

Reply #806479 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

In all honesty, I would imagine this would be a very lucrative deal (doh! obviously :-))
You'd have to be looking at at least around $500k pa, AFTER the cut for next season.

Be interesting to see if his role changes, and what they do at the PG position. Fingers crossed Damo is healthy enough for one more.

Waiting now to hear what Kay is doing.
Must be tough to keep him.

Reply #806480 | Report this post

Scrote  
Years ago

Just the new Bogut has been waiting for. Probably sign with Perf this week to replace Kay.

Reply #806484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"easy deal ?

first yr with virus 150,000
2nd yr 550,000
third yr 300,00"

Why would he take a paycut?

Reply #806485 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Great news but how lame is the press release content.

Obviously one of the red-tie-and-suit-wearing-brigade was a little too over eager after watching The Last Dance.

Reply #806486 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Perth fans just went from "NBL is trashed" to "yes this gonna be best season evar"

Reply #806492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be Perth GOAT by the time he's done. Arguably he's already there.

Reply #806494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get this man in the green & gold. Imagine Simmons with the ball with mills, cotton & broekhoff moving off the ball.

Reply #806496 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah, he needs his citizenship. He'd make my Tokyo team quite easily. Very few Aussies can create their own shots and have that killer instinct. He has that in spades. It would be like having two Patty Mills on the team.

Reply #806500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons
Mills
Cotton
Delly
Exum
Ingles
Broekhoff
Creek
Kay
Bogut
Baynes
Thon

Reply #806502 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Will the postponed Olympics mean he's more likely to get citizenship by then?

Reply #806562 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Creek does not belong with those names, where is Landale?

Reply #806563 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Simmons
Mills
Cotton
Delly
Exum
Ingles
Broekhoff
Creek
Kay
Bogut
Baynes
Thon

Is that the Perth Wildcats? Look Mum, no imports!

Reply #806564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek does belong there and Landale, but remove Thon as he's so overrated.

Reply #806568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay is not coming back and the cats gave him their blessing to get his huge pay day in his prime. Perth has already made overtures to Oliver's agent but he is trying to get to the NBA and European league is is his second option.

White is definitely not coming back

Reply #806576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons / Dellavedva
Mills / Cotton / Thybulle
Ingles / Broekhoff
Landale / Kay / Maker
Baynes / Bogut

Reserves
PG Exum
SG Goulding or Green
SF Creek or Adel
PF Bolden or Cooks
C Humphries or Magnay

Reply #806578 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Not a bad Wildcats team that but not sure the locals will be happy with Exum over Martin.

Reply #806585 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

In a full Boomers team, I wouldn't be putting Cotton over Goulding.

That x-factor streaky three point shooting is the value proposition of Goulding.

Cotton is a better "overall" player, however in a Simmons/Mills/Delly/Ingles/Broekhoff rotation of PG-SF, you don't need to split the time with another Cotton/Exum type.

Gouldings job is to get on the court and splash threes without needing to warm up and to be fair, he did precisely that in the World Cup. If he can't, then he sits on the bench for the game.

If one of those players drop out and Thybulle doesn't join - always a likely scenario on both counts - that's where Cotton slides in before Goulding.

Reply #806604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cotton is going before Goulding.

Cotton shot it at 38%, Goulding 39%

Cotton can do alot more than Goulding when screens are involved.

Reply #806606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #806613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Full squad too you have to assume that the Goulding / Cotton spot is for the last chair on the bench. You should go Aussie over Import!
It's not like back in the day when it was Leroy or Ricky who got loads of impact minutes. Now the team has nba talent in Simmons Delly and mills.
Goulding SHOULD get the last spot. Cotton never grew up dreaming of playing for the boomers

Reply #806614 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

As I said, a full Boomers don't need that, the value proposition for Goulding is that streaky shooter ability the way he played in the WC.

Cotton may be a better player or even shooter overall, but then so would the other Boomer players. It’s that X factor that’s valuable for taking games away from the opposition

Reply #806615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton over Goulding. No contest.

Reply #806617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Straight after the WC, I also would have picked Goulding over Cotton because I thought CG played his role perfectly. Now, I'd have to pick Cotton - I'd rather get a 28 year old Cotton, coming off an outstanding season, into the Boomers system between now and the Olympics than go with the safer option in Goulding. Cotton is a big game player and could be just what we need.

Reply #806623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chances of Kay got a little better since he is still unsure . But I still say 60-40 towards going to Europe but it's improving. He loves playing for Gleeson and the Perth culture

Reply #807037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding can't even carry Bryces’s jockstraps. Cotton is elite on both ends of the ball

Reply #807038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well that's a snore fest.

Reply #807039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton. ?.
Cotton, Wani Swaka Lo Buluk
?, Steindl
? , Wagstaff
? , Majok??.

* Any chance Damo returns?
* Will Cotton be a citizen thereby freeing up another import spot?
* Could Nick Kay come back.

Reply #807042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

038 cotton is not an elite defender

Reply #807045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one loves playing for Gleeson
They love the money Perth pays outbidding everyone else

Reply #807046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"038 cotton is not an elite defender"

Yeah you're right, he lead the league in steals by mistake...

Reply #807063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO Cotton will be in our death lineup, probably something like:

Mills
Cotton
Ingles
Simmons
Landale

I genuinely think he will play a huge role off the bench in Tokyo. He's the only one besides Mills who can be relied on to create a good shot from nothing, accustomed to FIBA rules and styles, proven clutch player, good on both ends of the floor. It's going to be like almost having 2 Patty Mills' on the team.

Reply #807064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#063 yes he did Lead the league in steals with 1.74. LaMelo was 2nd with 1.64 and it's widely acknowledged that he couldn’t catch a cold on defence so the stat on its own does not make Cotton an elite defender.

Reply #807066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melo's defence was just like his offense and the rest of his game, streaky. He did show some promise on the defensive end though, the stat can't be completely ignored.

Cotton may not quite be 'elite' but he's a very good defender. Its something that's been a big focus of his in Perth and he's learnt a lot off Martin.

Reply #807069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is a solid perimeter defender but gets abused when taken down into the low block. He can defend no doubt but in no way is he as asserted above elite at both ends of the floor.

Reply #807070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who abused him down in the block? I don't think the Cats defence allows for such a mismatch but tell us more.

Reply #807071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think most PGs would get abused down in the block lol

Reply #807072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forgot I was talking to Perth fans

Reply #807075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth fans will call you out when you just make stuff up.

Reply #807076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow this thread has derailed quickly.

Reply #807077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton is no Ware on the block or dribble penetration but hey you knew that because you're from Perf

Reply #807078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didnt say he was as good as Ware. I'm just wondering when he got abused in the post.

Reply #807081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton is a no-brainer if naturalised. It would allow us to effectively have Patty Mills and another very similar player coming off the bench!

Reply #807083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly, and the third guard Thybulle can play both sg and backup sf.

Reply #807084 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Cotton also lead the league in steals, must be doing something right defensively.

As for Boomers' selection, like anything it will come down to availability. We always start out talking about a "full strength" Boomers squad, but it never quite eventuates.
If you were to look at the WC as an example, then yes, Cotton would have been a brilliant addition in place of Gliddon or Sobey.
Would certainly be nice to have the option.

Reply #807092 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Led.

The word is "led".

And no, it doesn't mean he's a good defender. If he gambles constantly and comes up with three steals a game at the expense of getting beat to the basket fifteen times a game, he's a terrible defender.

Reply #807093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the spelling correction Kober.
Legend :) xx

Reply #807094 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

And no, it doesn't mean he's a good defender. If he gambles constantly and comes up with three steals a game at the expense of getting beat to the basket fifteen times a game, he's a terrible defender.

This.
Steals alone is an awful way of trying to prove someone's defensive prowess.

Reply #807107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And no, it doesn't mean Kobe's not a wanker. If he posts constantly and is right three times a day, at the expense of being an insufferable dickhead fifteen times, he's a terrible person.

Reply #807111 | Report this post

Wilbur  
Years ago

I've switched my autocorrect setting on my phone to koberulz mode. 100% perfect in every spelling and grammar.

Reply #807154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cotton is a no-brainer if naturalised. It would allow us to effectively have Patty Mills and another very similar player coming off the bench!"
So where is all this money coming from and how does it fit anywhere into the "cap"?

Reply #807163 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Olympics don't have a salary cap.

Reply #807164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The riots in America are out of control.

Reply #807177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So are the police

Reply #807197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really?

Reply #807207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Cotton "walks" out. He won't take this pay cut is the excuse. Meantime in the back room of the Perth Wildcats they say let's "cut" Cotton so the public thinks this is all serious. Then we will bring him back and lock him in for 3 more years hopefully he will be Australian shortly, back end his salary and pay him shit loads more and no one will be the wiser. The NBL is a joke right there.

Reply #807922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton didn't walk out, and Perth didn't cut him. He simply took up his option to seek opportunities elsewhere.

Reply #807925 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

The wiser of what? Or to what?

The have renegotiated a new 3-year deal.
Blind Freddy understands that its for more money than he previously received, that it compensates for the "cuts" imposed in next season, and that (at least for now) it would make him the highest paid player in the NBL.

The irony, if any, is that it's probably still for less than he could have gotten in Europe.

After Cotton led us to his first championship, he made it clear that whilst he would never forget the experience, he wasn't expecting to come back. But who can account for such things, he fell in love. He now has a partner and child, Perth is his home, and the Cats found enough money to keep him. Truth be told, with all the craziness in the USA at this time, he's probably chuffed to be kicking back in "the 4th most boring city in the world."

And yes, I can understand why this causes other fans to roll their eyes.
We have the most rings, the most members, probably the most money, and now the best player in the league wants to naturalise and make Perth his permanent home.

Reply #807936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said Dazz.

Reply #807944 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So Cotton "walks" out. He won't take this pay cut is the excuse. Meantime in the back room of the Perth Wildcats they say let's "cut" Cotton so the public thinks this is all serious. Then we will bring him back and lock him in for 3 more years hopefully he will be Australian shortly, back end his salary and pay him shit loads more and no one will be the wiser. The NBL is a joke right there.
So their super-secret plan was to do exactly the thing they publicly announced they were doing, so nobody would realise they'd done that and not...something else?

Okay then.

Reply #807946 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The detective work on hoops.com.au is superb.

Reply #807951 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Just wait till you hear of their plans for Plumlee.
This place will go into meltdown.

;-)

Reply #807956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack Bendat money and they'll still claim everyone is playing for the love of the fans

Reply #807957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one has ever claimed that.

Reply #807958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Perth they will use every trick in the book to get that W. No cap is the problem. Cotton will get paid more than the whole of the Hawks cap. Just sayin.

Reply #807961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whinge whinge

Reply #807962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They only whinge cause Perth have the biggest sad when another team does something to make themselves competitive.
Sydney 4 imports - CRYYYYY
Melbourne spend money - CRYYYYY
The moment perf feel threaten the fans have a cry. Full well knowing that club pays the most

Reply #807964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#964 could not put it better myself.

Reply #807967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what if Perth pay the most. No rules broken.
Underachieving teams for example Adelaide need to pay up and they might just break a near 20 year title drought.

Reply #807968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nup. The problem is that Perf is simply better run than everyone else and other fans instead of holding their clubs to a higher standard piss and moan and accuse Perf of cheating. Plus Perf obviously take the time to figure out the rules while other teams are scratching their bums. I have said this all along but othe teams refuse to learn. The wildcats obviously strive to find the right players and lock them in long term. Back in the days of the hard cap and points system while other teams were still trying to buy whole new teams every season the wildcats kept their players and built a core to the point where they had almost everyone on loyalty discounts. Do other teams try to emmulate this? No they keep changing players like underpants.
The Sixers would be a challenger every year if they only managed to hold onto their players instead of trying to fuck everyone over. The joke is that Perf probably dont spend as much as people reckon because instead they look after their players. Gleeson maybe a dickwacker on the sidelines but clearly he has built a good squad and a good program and players want to go there. As opposed to the toxic shitheap Joey Wright left us with. Imagine if we still had Creek and Sobey and if guys like Froling Drmic and McVeigh were motivated to perfform and to stay.

Reply #807969 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wildcats may pay but it is out of profits, not handouts. The only real business in the entire NBL.

Reply #807978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt Perf made any profits last season. A loss would be expected.

Kobe said "So their super-secret plan was to do exactly the thing they publicly announced they were doing," So where was it publicly announced they were going to cut Cotton and pay him more and take advantage of the loophole now created? Citation needed.

Reply #807985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They obviously lost out on having fans attend a grand final game but other than that they had full crowds for 16 home games. They wouldn't have made a loss on that.

Reply #807988 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:42 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754