D2.0
Years ago

Nick Kay signing in Europe?

Is it likely European leagues will go ahead next season? In particularly in Spain.

It's been rumoured for a while that Kay was holding a couple of offers, and supposedly he is very close to accepting an offer to play in the Liga ACB. Betis aren't exactly a powerhouse, they only recently got back in after being relegated, but nevertheless I imagine the coin is decent.

But what I was hearing is that these offers are contingent??

I don't know much at all about these leagues. Do they draw huge tv audiences? ie Can they afford to go ahead, even if stadiums were closed?
(And is asking that, I have no idea what the current of likely status is in Spain.)

Topic #47366 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably around $300k US in his hand for nine months plus accommodation, cars and most meals, hard to knock that back. Betis actually looked at Oliver but his price was to high I believe.

Reply #810432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Done deal and huge loss for us but deserves the money he can make while he can.

Reply #810433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

400k+

Reply #810434 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Nick "400" Kay

Reply #810436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats are cooked this year

Reply #810438 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Supposedly cooked every year.

Reply #810439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't happen. Dr.Koberules said there will be no EU competions until late next year.

Reply #810440 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Yep, with 5 months till the start of the season, the pending naturalization of the league's best player and the highest budget and earning potential of any team in the league...100% cooked.

Reply #810441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Superstar of the NBL, huge loss but man deserves a big pay day.

What's Perth’s lineup looking like?

Reply #810442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably around $600k aust dollars in the hand versus his 50% reduction in the nbl at $200k, easy decision.

Reply #810446 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Spain has a lot more COVID than Australia, and he doesn't need to take a pay cut to play in the NBL as Perth would list him as a marquee.

Reply #810448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth Wildcats-Gleeson

6'2 M.Norton/6’1 D.Martin
6’1 B.Cotton/6’5 W.Buluk
SF/6’7 C.Steindl
PF/6’8 J.Wagstaff
C/6’9 M.Majok

DP
6’7 L.Travers

Reports - possibles
T.White SF
A.Brandt C
D.Reath C

Reply #810449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to him if he can get a gig and grab that cash while he can

Reply #810452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marquee are getting there salary cut as well.

Reply #810462 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Kay absolutely deserves is big pay day.

I thought he was extremely close to being Finals MVP when everyone just assumed Cotton would be.

Hope he comes back to the NBL one day.

Reply #810488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""Marquee are getting there salary cut as well."

Now, now. Don't go upsetting Dr Kobe..

Reply #810489 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Marquee are getting there salary cut as well.

Sigh.
Please try to follow along
Most players, especially those at the top end, are simply renegotiation their contracts, usually with a heavier back-end. SO players & clubs are free to renegotiate to a position that leaves the player similar or not too much worse off.
The major restriction on this is that the full amount of the new salary counts towards the caps and league tax, not the actual salary after cuts.

So for the lower half, renegotiating won't really work because they still have to fit within the bench cap. For the top guys, the problem is the tax sting.
However for Marquees, only the first $150k (1st marquee) counts towards the cap & tax. So a Marquee, like Kay, could be renegotiated back to exactly the same net position, without it increasing the club's tax bill.

Reply #810490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$150 goes towards the tax bill but his wage gets cut in half, so his presumed $400g becomes $200g less tax. The club can lengthen contracts like they did with Cotton and make the difference up in following seasons but can't change the coming season money.

Kay has done very well and he is smart or has good management because he had bigger club offers and took a lesser club where he knows he will get game time and improve his position in the future. Motum a favourite around hoops spends a lot time warming the bench.

Hopefully for Kay and the rest of the world they get this virus back in the bag as one thing that could stop his progress is that already parts of Spain are closing down again, similar to Melbourne.

Reply #810493 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The club can lengthen contracts like they did with Cotton and make the difference up in following seasons but can't change the coming season money.
Yes they can.

Reply #810524 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I know there was questions by OP about how they make their monies and these clubs are massive as they have football, handball and basketball (and I think other sports) within that organisation. How Real Betis decide what goes to which sport and how much they value a Nick Kay over a soccer star I don't know but clubs have €millions in player salaries throughout their teams.

Good luck to him, hard work does pay off!

Reply #810527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of the big Spanish clubs get tax payer money.

Reply #810531 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

$150 goes towards the tax bill but his wage gets cut in half, so his presumed $400g becomes $200g less tax. The club can lengthen contracts like they did with Cotton and make the difference up in following seasons but can't change the coming season money.

I imagine that if you tried to replace an existing one year-remaining contract, with another one year contract, then the NBL mind get antsy.
But I'd say that if you're renegotiating for a whole new multi-year contract, then you could do whatever you want. Its a whole new contract.

Reply #810545 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Spain has a lot more COVID than Australia,

Yeah, that's the bit I don't get.

I would have thought the next season for the ACB was still a relative unknown.

Reply #810548 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I imagine that if you tried to replace an existing one year-remaining contract, with another one year contract, then the NBL mind get antsy.
There's nothing they could do to stop it.

Reply #810552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dr Kobe says.. Never wrong

Reply #810553 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I like that everyone's criticism of me is always "Kobe is always right". Such a weird thing to be upset by.

Reply #810554 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's the new normal as most on here are so wrong that it's weird to be right.

Reply #810556 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Been a few comments around about Motum and Landale...

However they're based on predictably pointless article in The West.
In actuality all it says is "Motum or Landale would be a good fit for Perth". Well yeah, no shit.

The irony is that Motum particularly plays in the same league as Kay will. So the only way he even becomes available is if Spain goes to shit, and there's nothing on offer elsewhere in Europe. In which we can probably just keep Kay.

I'm sure Perth were and are on the lookout for a good local signing, as Kay was two years ago, but they don't grow on trees. Will continue to be good and competitive, but unless we get Cotton naturalised, or the world covid situation delivers us a returning expat, we won't be as dominant as the past two seasons.

(And the rest of league will be happy that we've come back to the pack a bit :-))

Reply #810936 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The irony is that Motum particularly plays in the same league as Kay will.
Motum is currently not contracted anywhere.

Reply #810937 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

^Really? Oh ok, I stand corrected?
I could have sworn he signed for 2 years?
Was his 2nd year an option?

Reply #810941 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He was released from his contract a couple of days ago.

Reply #810942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale is also not under contract.

Reply #810948 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

^^Thanks.
It would be good to see him back in the NBL. I'm sure many teams could make good use of him.
I would have thought Brissy or (based on prior association) Adelaide would be the front-runners, (assuming they had the budget) but both are already well served in the front court.

Reply #810963 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Both Melbourne based clubs would be after Landale, maybe Illawarra too.

Reply #810983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if u sign landale would u leave a import spot open in case landale gets a nba gig

Reply #810986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Officially signed with Real Betis

Reply #811438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

105-100.80 1.96
50-61 1.90-2.22
50-50

e win- .80 (+$50) (+$50bb)
b- -105
-105 (+$50bb)

Reply #811692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What?

Reply #811693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its school holidays yet someone posted their maths homework in this thread!

Reply #811697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

23 points in his first practice match in Spain, outstanding start. Went down to power house Real Madrid.

Reply #816656 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:29 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754