AngusH
Years ago

Jervis to Perth

Out of retirement. Well. Unexpected, I guess?

Topic #47977 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

Unexpected? It's been reported for weeks now that it was going to happen.

Reply #827650 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Haven't seen a thing here (or elsewhere).

Reply #827651 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/47929-potential-signings/

Reply #827652 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Lachy Reid tweeted it out late in December. I think it was doing the rounds a bit before that as well.

Reply #827653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calm down Koberulz.

Hopefully he can still give a solid 10 to 15min and give Mooney a rest.

The question is who makes way when/if an import arrives later in season.

Reply #827654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't follow Twitter and there is a lot of crap on here to sift through.

Don't blame you for missing it Angus.

Reply #827655 | Report this post

NBL MAN  
Years ago

posed in the forum nbl potential signings but don't blame u for posting

Reply #827656 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

And first one cut when cotton gets the citizenship...

Reply #827657 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

When Cotton is naturalised, is Plumlee a given?

The way Gaze spoke on today's NBL pod, it sounded like the Cats are planning a different direction.

Reply #827658 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yeah, cos every rumour posted on hoops always comes to fruition...
Not sure how we're going to fit all of Maker, Broekhoff, Bolden, etc into the team.

Like most Cats fans, I love Tommy, and I think its awesome that he and his family have finally returned home.
But fmd our lineup looks pathetic.

I don't mind Tommy as a replacement for Jook. But not sure wtf Bairstow is doing here?

Reply #827660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker would give them a chance at finals, not sure jervis and his essential oils will help.

Reply #827664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This season was the first time in decades the Wildcats missed the playoffs.

Reply #827667 | Report this post

NBL MAN  
Years ago

Bairstow is your majok replacement idk why they signed him tho had better options

Reply #827669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice knowing you Perth, you aren't making the finals

Reply #827670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are all selling Perth and Gleeson short, same every season, they get there regular home game wins in front red army, that gets them in the semifinals, new game from there. Certainly injuries and not having home games could change that but not at present will they miss out.

Reply #827683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure they will make changes if needed to qualify for finals

Reply #827693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep it up Perth haters.
Perth ain't making the finals, blah blah.

I do think Bairstow should go when import possibly joins team.

Reply #827694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow signing was a major wtf

Reply #827695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never Nervous Jervis

Reply #827702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know its going to be bad when signing blanchfield white or jervis isn't even the major wtf signing of the year

Reply #827704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow actually had some really good moments in the games vs hawks, doesn't fit a need but he could actually be serviceable, now Kevin white on the other hand I am worried about

Reply #827705 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's puzzling for sure.
During Gleeson's time, we've had a weak player here and there, especially on the end of the bench. And he's given some young guys a go, without too much success. But gees this is a weak lineup.
White, Blanch, Bairstow, and now Jervis. And it's not like there's huge upside to these guys.

It's hard to predict with covid how some teams will go, missing home games and such, but this doesn't fill me with confidence.
Hope seems to be riding on the DPs.

I guess I can just hope that they are keeping their powder dry for when Cotton Naturalises, and they will spend big on an import gun.

Reply #827706 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Probably four guys on Perth's 10 man roster that wouldn't make any other roster in the league. Wani Swaka Lo Buluk, Kevin White, J. Bairstow and now a retired Tom Jervis.

Reply #827708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Assuming Travers starts. That leaves Steindl and old man Wagstaff as only realistic bench options.

Reply #827710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton, Blanchfield and Travers would come off the bench on any other team and Mooney is unproven as a pro.
I change my previous guess of Perth 5th, I now have them finishing 8th.

Another import doesn't guarantee a top 4 spot.

Reply #827711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty brave (or silly) to bet against Perth!
They'll get there somehow

Reply #827713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shows how bad Perth's bench is when both Travers and Jervis are potentially starters.

Reply #827718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blanchfield has ability, Gleeson is the coach that could bring that to it's best, Steindl has improved a lot under Gleeson. If Perth get there home games even at 50% capacity they should make finals.

Reply #827722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Bairstow as a dp, could have waited for...

Norton/White/Britt pg
Cotton/Buluk sg
Blanchfield/Steindl g/f
Travers/Shervill f
Wagstaff/Bairstow pf
Maker pf/c
Mooney/Jervis c

10 contracted
4 dp

Reply #827723 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

A few upsides for Perth

- Blanchfield has had a hot and cold career. Which one will turn up? Hard to tell but Gleeson could get the best out of him

- If Mooney's no good, I expect Perth to sack him and bring in a better replacement. All of a sudden you have Cotton with another gun import, a better version of Blanchfield as a 3rd wheel, and a bunch of experienced role players.

And of course there's always the chance they get Maker, Bolden or someone. Plus the Cotton naturalization option

If Perth struggles with this current lineup as expected, I just can't imagine them sitting idle and falling too deep into a hole. If they get down to 2-8 or something, fully expect them to pull the trigger. That might be too far back but with them, but I'd never write them off.

Reply #827725 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

If Cats can 3peat with this lineup I think it's safe to say Gleeson would be the undisputed GOAT coach of the NBL.

To be fair to Angus this rumour was only speculated by Lachy because Jervis was heading back to WA, I play ball with a couple of guys who are in the SBL circle and last week they were certain Jervis would be suiting up in the SBL. I'd still presume that as soon as Cotton has naturalised Gleeson will make some changes, if Jervis isn't going great then either him or Bairstow prob get the chop for an import C, if our scoring is lacking then we prob go that way and maybe get an import PG or PF and play Mooney at the C. I dunno, something will change.

Reply #827726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Bairstow signing plus playing travers as dp a pf shows you that they are lost. Very poor contruction of a team by Perth this year.

Reply #827727 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Perth have

The best coach in the comp

A perennial MVP candidate

A bunch of experienced role players who know the system- Norton, Wagstaff, Steindl

Huge home court advantage with crowd (even 50%), travel and refs

Those things suggest they'll be very competitive

This is why Mooney and Blanchfield so crucial. Or Cotton's naturalisation. Or signing a big Aussie fish.

They just need enough support at the 2nd and 3rd option behind Cotton. That's what their season hinges upon

Reply #827728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its astounding that a team has played in the post season for 33 straight years, won five titles in the past seven years, but as soon as it looks like they wont reach that again this season, people start to criticise them. Like, really?

Reply #827729 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

and refs

Excuse me?

Reply #827730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're excused.

Reply #827735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow is too old to be a DP.

Reply #827736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Punters that don't know shit are writing them off, there is no guarantee in sport but Perth certainly won’t lay down. They have always been able to adjust mid season, write them off at your own peril.

Reply #827738 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Ah.... you can always tell the posts about Perf because the heat factor gets turned up

Reply #827741 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Punters that don't know shit are writing them off, there is no guarantee in sport but Perth certainly won't lay down. They have always been able to adjust mid season, write them off at your own peril."

Punters that do know shit aren't exactly lining this squad up for a title either?

Yes Perth won't lay down and yes previously they have been able to adjust personal and make the playoffs but this team as it stands is a massive downgrade on last season so rightfully people have them outside the 4.

Reply #827742 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

To be fair, I don't see many "writing Perth off", nor do I even see the usual "we hate Perf". The comments are mostly accurate.

If we look at a starting five of Norton, Cotton, Travers/Blanchfield, Mooney, and Import. There is huge potential there. It could become the strongest in the league.
It could also suck balls.

I think what is most worrying is not knowing how and where Perth is sitting budget wise. Are they sitting on a "War Chest" ready to ring in the changes needed, or have they been forced to tighten their belts?

And yes, I supposed it's irrational, but the streak is meaningful, and we want to see it continue. Remains to be seen, but there could be 7 other teams seriously competing for a finals slot.

Reply #827778 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Generally the jist of the conversation is correct.

Perth's roster has undergone a significant downgrade.

If you replace :
- Damian Martin
- Nick Kay
- Miles Plumlee
- Terrico White

With :

- Kevin White.
- John Mooney
- Tom Jervis
- Bairstow

You are going to struggle without extra assistance.

Reply #827780 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Actually it's:

Out

Nick Kay
Terrico White
Miles Plumlee
Damian Martin
Majok Majok*
Rhys Vague

In

John Mooney
Todd Blanchfield
Kevin White
Jarred Bairstow
Tom Jervis

*Out for the season

Reply #827782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last year was 11mam rosters though .

But the consensus is the roster is weaker.

Reply #827783 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

One aspect of this season that excites me is seeing how Wani goes, he's been around the team for a short while now, you'd imagine that Cotton could get more minutes at PG this season and if you compare him to Sunday Dech (who unless I'm mistaken lost his spot to Wani) and how a Dech in this team for say Kevin White makes them look much stronger then the pressure should be on Wani.

Is this the final year of his contract? Would he be offered a new one based on performances for the Wildcats?

Reply #827925 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The kid is 17 or 18 years old and has had one pro season, most of which was spent on the injury list. And we're asking if he's done enough? Fuck outta here.

If Perth struggles with this current lineup as expected, I just can't imagine them sitting idle and falling too deep into a hole. If they get down to 2-8 or something, fully expect them to pull the trigger.
And do what? Spend a week finding someone who's been sitting on their ass for a year (2-9), get them over here (2-10), have them spend two weeks in quarantine (3-12), get them into game shape (5-14), and then if they go undefeated the rest of the way they might just scrape in.

Reply #827926 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

They play different roles, but no, I believe that Dech turned down what was offered, which is why Wani was signed. I think.

Anyway he was signed to a 3 year deal, so this is only his 2nd season.

Done enough? He's been sidelined a couple of times with significant injuries. So to date, I'd say he's been unlucky. He's still just a kid, so hopefully he can put the injuries behind him, and start to string some games together.

My long-term worry continues to be the PG role. Dech was being groomed as the next bench PG, then when he left we signed Brit. He looked promising, but haven't seen much so far this year. Signing White just indicates the depth of the hole.

Reply #827980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton and Cotton will play almost all the PG minutes, but the Cats are certainly susceptible to Mitch getting injured, and lack that extra scoring threat when Bryce has to handle the ball more.

Reply #827985 | Report this post

Matty Whitt.  
Years ago

wow... these anonymous guys

Reply #827986 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

As for pulling the trigger, yeah I do wonder what the plans are, and when they will be implemented.
At the time, it appeared the Cats were legitimately keen on Reath staying in Perth, but since that time Covid has continued to screw things up.

I've no doubt that Perth (along with several other teams) will be keeping tabs on potential returnees. But it's not like the "good old days" when a player could zigzag across the world in a few days, and be suiting up a few days later. Nor are free agents welcome to just drop in and train anywhere to keep in shape.
With the fixtures still volatile, the timeline for trigger pulling is problematic.

I still assume that Cotton will naturalise soonish. But do the Cats plan to take advantage of that this season?

They certainly don't give the appearance of a club going all in for a 3 peat. Could be they will be happy to maintain the streak, and most fans would be happy with that.

Reply #827987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see that Kay's team just brought in an extra power forward, what’s this mean. Is he on the outer, don’t know but Perth could be saved yet.

Reply #828066 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:15 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754