Ant Man
Years ago

Tasmania Jack Jumpers 2021 Team Discussion

Well Coach Roth has arrived this week and he's come out in the press chasing Delladova. Realistic? I don't know but anything is possible I guess. I was mildly amused read that he would have 3 FULL TIME Asst coaches. I guess Perth taught him that!

Paywall article from The Mercury.

JackJumpers new coach hopes to bring in NBA star as team's first marquee player
The Tasmanian JackJumpers are still very much in their infancy, but the NBL’s 10th club has already set its sights on one of Australian basketball’s favourites sons.
Tasmania’s return to the NBL will begin on opening night of the 2021-22 season — if the DEC upgrade is completed on time
Inaugural Tasmania JackJumpers coach sets lofty ambitions for state’s re-entry into the NBL
NBA veteran and Boomers star Matthew Dellavedova is on the JackJumpers most wanted list and contact has been made.
In his first interview since arriving in Tasmania, inaugural JackJumpers coach Scott Roth said a marquee signing for the state’s NBL team’s debut year was a priority.
Dellavedova has played 434 NBA games for the Milwaukee Bucks and Cleveland Cavaliers across nine seasons.
He is currently sidelined through injury for the Cavs through concussion but Roth said he was friends with the point guard’s manager.
"His big focus is to get back to the Boomers but his immediate future is to start playing again and get healthy," Roth said.
“But he’s definitely on our list, there are going to be guys that are on the verge of ending their career but have a year or two left a la (Andrew) Bogut and we are going to go after all of them.”
Roth, a former NBA and NBL assistant coach, said he was after a big name such as Dellavedova to excite JackJumpers fans.
“I’d love a marquee player and we are going after them,” he said.
“We have a couple we are starting to go down the track with, at least start talking with.
“We’d love have to an Andrew Bogut-type come back and play for Tasmania, it is just good for the league in general.
“We are going to go after these guys and there is no reason why we can’t.
“We’ve got the budget and we are going to do everything in our power to land a marquee player.”
His first task is to employ his basketball department, made of three full-time assistant coaches, strength and conditioning coach, doctors, trainers and others before starting on the squad.
However, he said when the time came, they would be out there pushing hard for the best players possible - especially with the state’s traditional powerhouse sport, Australian rules, not as healthy as it once was.
Asked if he would be targeting footballers, Roth was unequivocal.
“Without question. Our goal is to be the No.1 sport in the state and it is realistic.
“It is a unique situation. There are no other sports of the professional level that can attract and the way the NBL is growing every year, the sky is the limit.
“We are going to be extremely aggressive, we have a very good budget.
“Larry Kestelman, the owner of our team, is very motivated to make sure this works well with the community and the state and so we are going to be aggressive.
“We are going to go after the best players.”

Topic #48106 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You'd think he'd be going after Nick Kay as well after coaching him in Perth

Reply #833001 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Roth has said his filling his coaching staff etc before playing list (sure he has started recruiting) will be intrigued who will make up the 'three' full time assistant coaches.

Reply #833002 | Report this post

Ant Man  
Years ago

I agree. Let's hope there is a Tasmanian in there at least.

Reply #833003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmania Jackjumpers

M.Dellavedova/T.Dufelmeier
(i)/J.Antonio
(Ns)/B.Kuol
N.Kay/C.Moller
(i)/A.Ogilvy

Reply #833004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitch Norton will be out of contract at Perth too. If Nick Kay signs, would it be a safe assumption that Norton will join his mate there?

Reply #833006 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Im expecting Waxy to come out of retirement. Gibbo to play as well

Reply #833007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I suspect Gibbo and Waxy won't be required. Nor needed. The Coach has already talked about building a team for the long term, not a team for the Elderly Cits.

Reply #833008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth will look like this imo

(i)/M.Norton
B.Cotton/(ns)/W.Buluk
T.Blanchfield/C.Steindl/C.Shervill(dp)
D.Reath/L.Travers
J.Mooney(i)/M.Majok/A.Ferguson(dp)

Britt and Bairstow will be gone, white released, Wagstaff and jervis retired.
Having blanch on a 2 year was probably a mistake. Other better sfs would have been available.

Reply #833010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's out of contract at seasons end would be a good start.

Reply #833016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm expecting he will sign shooters if Dellavedova is his main target.
I just hope that he makes his own decisions not rely on local influences.

Reply #833017 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Why anon #317?

Reply #833019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Locan influencers. Wtf! Neever heard such dribble. Roth doesn't work for JVG. I certainly expect him to be autonomous. There is no one in there structure currently who has any connection to be able to recruit players.

Reply #833026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trials maybe?

Reply #833033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trials are a good idea but with the NBL season in full swing not sure how that can happen.

Reply #833040 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Trials for an NBL team, really? Even out of season. Can't imagine any rotation-level players turning up to a trial. Maybe for spots 10 to whatever.

Reply #833044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For NBL1 level players. If you're already on an NBL team, unless you're desperately unhappy then no need to trial. And before you say it, NO....NBL coaches don't have a grasp of all the talent out there. Trevor Gleeson case in point when he signed Barlow and said he couldn't believe he wasn't already in the NBL.

Reply #833049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly first choice Broekhoff second. Interesting that he says he will get three quality imports so assume he already has the green light on next gen.

He will bring his lead ass in and they will be joined by Radford plus 1 other. Maybe Stewart.

Kay would be a great get.

The one thing the JJ's will have that some others won't is a sizeable budget to work with.

Reply #833052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Radford, you're kidding, his record is crap at any level.

Reply #833053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's out contract at seasons end in Australia, not imports locals.

Reply #833055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of free agents available this season.
Go to spatial jam contract tracker.

Going off the SEM guideline for inaugural season. Excluding imports.
They had 4 players in the NBL the previous season and bought in two others from overseas in Creek and Madgen.

Reply #833059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They can mention Delly all they want to generate headlines. He ain't going to Tassie, ugh. They might as well say "we’re optimistic we can sign Michael Jordan"

Reply #833070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet another idiot who knows nothing about the current situation. Aim high is a start and I say you have to start off far better than the SEM Phoenix has. 2 season in and they are hopeless.

Reply #833071 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Anon 71 I'm a passionate Tasmanian / will be Jackjumpers supporter, no need to bag SE Melbourne Phoenix. They are a great model of a new franchise, including how they tap into the community / heartland.

Do agree that anon 70 has no valid point, if he doesn't care re Tas, Tasmanian's do not care have moved past cultural cringe and now proud of the place.

Reply #833074 | Report this post

Kevin Booth  
Years ago

Kay will be back at PWC. Routinely all over the social media posts.

Reply #833078 | Report this post

Free Agents  
Years ago

The following are free agents in the off season ( imports not included)

McVeigh
Teys
Dillon
Pinder

T Harrison
Cadee
Hodgson
H Froling

Ngatai
Blagojevich
Noi
Djeric
Krslovic

Ogilvy
Deng Deng
Naar
I White
Deng Adel
C Bairstow

Ili
Barlow
McCarron
McDaniel
Lual-Acil
Landale
Babe?

Trist
Weeks
T Webster

J Bairstow
Lo Buluk (option)
Jervis
K White
Wagstaff
Norton
Steindl

Stephens
Creek (player option)
Adnam
Gibson
Broekhoff?

Cooks
Vodanovich
J Hunter(option)
Newley
Kickert
Moller

Reply #833120 | Report this post

Free Agents  
Years ago

Jonah Antonio and Gorjok Gak will be graduating college seniors.

There are always the annual Motum rumours.

Nick Kay and others like Bolden, Thon Maker, McDowell-white and of course Dellavedova could all be available, Angus Brandt too.

Reply #833121 | Report this post

Free Agents  
Years ago

* Baba not Babe . Oops.

Reply #833122 | Report this post

JaysFan  
Years ago

I reckon the composition of the JackJumpers will need to be:

- Australian marquee player (multi year deal)
- Australian starter level player currently overseas (multi year deal)
- Two imports
- Next star

- Three of the list of available free agents above
- Filler

Reckon its important that the two big name Australians are signed for at least two years so fans can start to identify with those guys. Don't want key players turning over too much while a team is finding its feet on the court, and within the community.

Reply #833132 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Expect three imports to return

Reply #833133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is not a lot of Tasmania going down in that team, players and coaches. GWS are still waiting for a couple locals in there afl team. I'm not certain this is going to end well unless they get a Tasmanian flavour.

Reply #833136 | Report this post

Looking Forward  
Years ago

Please, please sign,

McVeigh
Teys
Dillon
Teys.

Reply #833139 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Tasmanians will be fine if they see a pathway to the team with some representation initially.

Not naive enough to think that the team would have any more than one or two Tasmanians if at all on the roster if at all initially.

Reply #833140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Consider Jervis, White, Wagstaff, J Bairstow and Lo Buluk too.

Reply #833145 | Report this post

Free Agents  
Years ago

Looking Forward you listed Teys twice I assume you meant Pinder.

Reply #833146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"McVeigh
Teys
Dillon
Teys."

Pass on all 4.

Reply #833148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about coaching staff, is there going to be any Tasmanian's, I’m not convinced. It seems strange as Stewart has a good track record in Australia.

Reply #833154 | Report this post

Looking Forward  
Years ago

Yes, Pinder. Too keen to see Teys move on.

Reply #833162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh great, Stewart is back commenting on posts about how he somehow deserves to be on this staff even though his track record would suggest otherwise

Reply #833164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stewart is very popular in the community, he would not even know what hoops is. His record speaks for itself.

Reply #833167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No success in the NZ league. No success in NBL1 and no NBL coaching experience. Tell me again how his record speaks for itself?

Reply #833168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best scrimmage coach in the country ;-)

Reply #833169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give it up Chris.

Reply #833172 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

getting a tad personal on the local front, once again when coaches are discussed. Some big egos about?

Reply #833173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#168,
maybe you want to get your facts right, he's never coached nbl1, the final season of seabl he is the championship coach beating the team that went onto be nbl1 champions the following season. Considering the travel and hurdles that were thrown in front of the Huskies in the nznbl I’d say equal fourth, fifth place on percentages was a fair result.
Maybe you should get over Stewart not picking you in team once and get back to the d grade comp and warm the bench.

Reply #833175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hadley getting plenty of coverage on social media today. Isn't he a Tasmania.

Reply #833401 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

If and when Kay returns to the NBL, I expect it will be to Perth.
He's getting married here, to a local girl, so I'd think any other offer would have to be truly exceptional.

It will be interesting to see JJ's budget, but assuming that's in place, why shouldn't they target a Delly or similar. They will definitely need a Marquee player, in every sense, so best to start by aiming high.

It will also be interesting to see where he goes for his end of the bench guys. Does he go with youth,youth, and more youth? Or sign some vets to provide leadership and mentoring?

Reply #833431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dellavedova/Dufelmeier
Import/Antonio/Hadley
NS/Kuol
Import/Moller/Jois
Maker/Ogilvy

Maybe also look at the Asian market.

Reply #833433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe both makers at pf/c

Reply #833434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt the JJ's can afford Stewie. 1st Asst already picked, Radford allegedly and then who else?

Reply #833444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you're taking Radford ahead of Stewart you had better be a great head coach as he’s not going to contribute much. Wasn’t Radford an assistant at Adelaide once when they couldn’t win a game. Most coaches out off basketball Australia system don’t turn out that good.

Reply #833452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jun seek yeo 6'8 sf/pf is the next big thing out of Korea.
Potential Asian pickup.
Said he wants to go overseas and not kbl.

Reply #833455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Radford he will only be there for one reason. That rules out other local options.

Reply #833456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Radford also a championship winning AC. A lot more than Stewart has ever accomplished

Reply #833462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give it up Chris.

Reply #833465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stewart is a championship winning coach, boy you talk some shit Chris.

Reply #833469 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Phoenix Chris or BTAS?

Reply #833470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently Stewart was set to be announced as an AC, but it turned out the new coach knows how to run scrimmages at training by himself so Stewie wasn't needed ;-)

Reply #833475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet again wrong Chris. What is your claim to fame? Oh that's right nothing.EVER.
Go back in your hole and put the rock on top.

Reply #833480 | Report this post

Jays Fan  
Years ago

Stewart has clearly played the Tas media to a point where if he misses out on a gig it will be a significant PR issue for the new franchise.

I'm not sure his track record or furthering he development if young locals is crash hot. Think young Tasmanians pushing to higher honors is clearly attributable to the BTas program.

Stewart’s success is just dependent on the fringe NBL guys his network (Heal) can deliver.

Reply #833694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stewart has been mr basketball Tasmania for a long time. I think a lot people will be pissed off if he's not involved.

Reply #833700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There will be no PR issue around assistant coaches, this operation is far more professional than that.

Reply #833704 | Report this post

Ant Man  
Years ago

I started this topic to try and get some positive news going and clearly the snipers are out to destroy this.
"Jays" Fan join with his "1st post" sniping."
"I'm not sure his track record or furthering he development if young locals is crash hot. Think young Tasmanians pushing to higher honors is clearly attributable to the BTas program."
So do you know who runs the BTas stuff in the South? Stewart.
Then we have "There will be no PR issue around assistant coaches, this operation is far more professional than that." Personally I have yet to see this statement proven yet.
Chris gets involved yet again and the topic again deteriorates.

Fans this these snipers are not needed here or out in the public at games. They are not supporters and only detractors. Very disappointing. Stick to your local competitions because clearly that's all you have in life.

Reply #833706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The snipers are from outside Tasmania, most anyway. It will be a PR disaster as Tasmanian's are very parochial and are expecting a bit Tasmanian representation. Stewart has earned his position.

Reply #833709 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

No. The team must be competitive and win games, especially home games. Everything else is secondary.

West Australians are parochial to the point of obsession. Yet we love a team which has often struggled for local representation. The fans loved Martin with a passion seldom seen.

I have no idea what Roth will be looking for in his assistants. Maybe Stewie fits the bill. Maybe he doesn't. But Roth's job depends on winning games, not hiring locals for appearances sake.

Reply #833725 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

You go with the best you can get. Why do they need an assistant coach to be Tasmanian.

Reply #833739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Roth taking with him Jacob Chance. Probably don't need Stewart but it’s a mistake.

Reply #833761 | Report this post

Ant Man  
Years ago

"You go with the best you can get." Yep. Stewie is the best coach in Tasmania.

Reply #833778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stewart was the best man to steer jack jumpers through there early years, everyone likes to win but Tasmania just wants a team.

The kings under Goorj were almost unbeatable but had much better crowds when the crowd never new what was going to happen on the day, as they were the cardiac kings.

Reply #833827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking like Anthony Stewart not getting a job. Mr basketball Tasmania, not certain if this is for the good or bad.

Reply #835041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cant be good.

Reply #835045 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Not necessarily bad either

Reply #835046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will need Tasmanian recognition in a reasonable high capacity, Tasmanian's being waiting for recognition of there own locally. It’s not happening so far.

Reply #835047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This thread proves Tasmanian's swam between there and South Australia.

Reply #835048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As I've been saying. Just because you are Tasmanian doesn’t guarantee you a job. Stewart has no nbl coaching experience

Reply #835049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AS is as dumb as a rock. He was never getting a gig and those who thought he was or should are no better.

Reply #835053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh well got your wish Chris. Stick to your game. Oh that's right you don't have one.

Reply #835060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a follower of Tasmanian basketball I'll be disappointed if no Stewart.

Reply #835064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boo hoo. Welcome to world of professional sports were you don't get gifted a job just because you live locally

Reply #835110 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

^ haha truth

Reply #835123 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Well said - there is a baffling preoccupation with locals in this thread of Adelaide proportions.

Reply #835125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can hardly blame SA locals. The Championships they have won have all been with a South Australian as coach. Anytime somebody else has run the ship it's all gone to shit. Every single time. And it ain't looking much better right now.

Reply #835130 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

I don't particularly care if a player is local or not.
Do they really need to be

Reply #835136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah it makes sense not to employ Tasmanians when it was basically in their original charter to employ Tasmanians. (Said no one ever.)

Reply #835138 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Stewart was the best man to steer jack jumpers through there early years, everyone likes to win but Tasmania just wants a team."

Nah, they already have "a team.". Now it needs to be competitive.

Perth has the biggest membership and the biggest crowds in the NBL, have done since the move to the Arena.
They have also been the most successful team over that period.

Then look at teams like Townsville and Illawarra over the same period.
Small populations (a la Tasmania)
Limited Success
Small crowds, and ultimately folded.

Also keep in mind that LK has personally driven this to happen, and will continue to exert influence. He won't want to be embarrassed by a failure, and neither will your state government.
ie a lot of pressure.

If the team is competitive, then you have the luxury of complaining about lack of local representation.

Reply #835146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get you head out of your arse Dazz. LK bought the team to Tassie to get the commercial land around the DEC. The Tas Govt has tipped in $65mill and LK has tipped in a fraction of that.

Reply #835147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#147 exactly
That huskies guy had the right idea, just went about it wrong, didn't have the political nous to make it happen. LK did on the promise of Tasmanian’s being involved, not looking likely at present.

Reply #835149 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Was that the actual promise though? It's more about creating a pathway for future Tasmanian players.

Reply #835160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure of Brookhouse heritage. Sales Manager Mainland, j. Chivers son of a mates father M Chivers Sandringham and SEABL. Heach Coach Yank. 1st Asst, HC's mate from Perth. Radford local. so line ball so far.

Reply #835161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Roth on local TV tonight (from Heal's online TV Show) suggesting they target Kay and Bolden. Read no brainer.

Reply #835173 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Yep Heal was saying that with the point both could be out of contract.

Reply #835176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay if he leaves Europe can name his own price, the big clubs will be queuing up, why would he want to go to a new club. Bolden hasn't played in a long while and hasn’t even got a club at present, I would think Tasmania could do better for their outlay. Heal, give me a break on any of his stories.

Reply #835178 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

What would your approach be to recruiting / list development be anon # 178 ?

Reply #835179 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I would chase Kay before I chased Bolden.

Kay is the ultimate complimentary piece, rebounds, sets screens, can pop, if you leave him he will burn you (GF Game 3 last year).

Reply #835181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scout no point in asking anonymous idiots for an opinion. They gave their own opinion but will never be accountable for making team / coaching selections.

Reply #835185 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Fair point 185

Reply #835187 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"That huskies guy had the right idea, just went about it wrong, didn't have the political nous to make it happen."

Or, in another words, he had NFI, and ripped off a bunch of people.

Reply #835188 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Kay if he leaves Europe can name his own price, the big clubs will be queuing up, why would he want to go to a new club."

Assuming squads go back to pre-covid levels, and teams are actually abiding by rules and paying their taxes, it will be interesting to see if a team like Perth opts for a 2nd Marquee, such as Kay, or a 3rd import.

Kay is returning to Perth, but that doesn't mean he has to play here.

Going after at least one high-value Marquee makes absolute sense for the JJs.

What exactly is Bolden doing? Is he still in the USA? Looking to play G-League and hoping for an NBA call up???

Reply #835189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If head coach relies input from Radford or Stewart he will be in trouble. Could be a quick learning and recovery or complete disaster.

Reply #835190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The assumption is the Head Coach can actually coach.

Reply #835191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually more to recruiting than coaching.
To many people involved Tas basketball for wrong reason. It will eventually come down to what players can do not your name or push.
I agree with all post on the lines you need to be successful not make locals happy or traditional basketball families happy.
Now it is up to coach to make decisions.

Reply #835196 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

What is Bolden doing?
That's actually a good question D2.0.
What's Thon Maker doing?
What's Matur Maker doing?

Reply #835201 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Anon #190 - reckon Stewies real strength is his ability to recruit, not sure about X and O's but he has recruited some legit players to the Chargers.

Reply #835204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adam Caporn and Brad Davidson to be assistant coaches. Mark Radford to COE or USA for more experience. Then Radford back for a coaching role with Jack Jumpers.

With nbl sides getting younger coaches like Davidson could become valuable.

Reply #835205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Above is wrong.

Reply #835207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I know that, but would be good coaching panel.

Reply #835210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You knew that yet posted it? Pffft

Reply #835211 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with a hypothetical #211

Reply #835284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This isn't a fantasy topic Scout. Back on topic (kinda) the JJ's have announced the Federal Group as their 1st sponsor announcement. Federal have always been loyal to basketball in Tassie and this just cements that relationship.. Good news.
Brookhouse said that they were close to making Asst coach announcements and a 1st player signing imminent.

Reply #835718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All very quiet from down south, no new announcements and certainly nothing re any Tasmanian's on board. Any one know how memberships are going or how the DEC is progressing.

Reply #837593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dec is on track and about 3000 members.

Reply #837597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When Phoenix signed Creek early, he was a free agent, no so easy for the Jacks as no quality free agents available.

Reply #837611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I visited the DEC yesterday and a few weeks earlier. The 2nd last time I was there it was a Saturday and they were all flat out.Got a few photos but I don't know how to post them here. Rest assured the front of the place is unrecognisable. All landscaping gone and the front facade and surrounds all gone. No idea of what's going on inside.

Reply #837619 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Lots of free agents, just not many Mitchell Creeks.

Reply #837623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is some good ones, they are all under contract till seasons end. Creek was signed early from the g league with an nba out clause. Tasmania will have less time now as the season will finish around three months later than normal and teams normally have a few weeks to renew their players contracts till Tasmania can get to them.

Reply #837626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's all the talk about bringing in Tassie players to generate fan interest. But look at Adelaide, spot the South Aussie apart from high fives at end of bench. Tassie will want winners, no matter where they're from. Doubt families will make their decision of going to game based on where players are from, it'll be based on winning in medium and long term

Reply #837634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taswegians want winners. Might be time that the JJ's started to make some announcements. All I hear are the tumbleweeds whistling down Macquarie Street.

Reply #837639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK in town today. Sponsor announcement

Reply #837671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are trying to pull armstrong, smith tomtasdie and skip,college.

Reply #837673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about experience first.

Reply #837713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From tonight's "The Mercury"

"In the state on Friday for the announcement Willie Smith's Cider will become the foundation jersey partner of the JackJumpers, Kestelman said the ultimate dream of launching the first game of the season at the DEC remained on the table."

Reply #837782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

honesty can u names a competive side

Reply #837812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

English helps....

Reply #837817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like Roth, Chance and Radford, not certain this is sending nervous tensions through other coaching staff.

Reply #839036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PLus one more coach. Not sure why Radford would take on the job.

Reply #839039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's it I believe, can’t believe Stewart is not in the mix, seems astonishing.

Reply #839041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They announced they were going to have 3 assistants. I assume one of them will be a dev coach.

Reply #839042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"made of three full-time assistant coaches,"

Reply #839043 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

There was a Scott Roth interview (by Megan Hustwaite) posted yesterday on the SBS Sport facebook page if anyone is keen:
Link
It was fairly fluffy stuff. The main takeaway for me was that he is not lacking in the opinion-of-himself department. Hopefully he lives up to it because it would be great for the league if the JJ's got off to a good start.

Reply #839044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there was talk there after nick kay

Reply #839046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All they have talked about is big named players that IMO would never move to Tassie. It's time to stop with the fluff talk and get on the court. Approx 6 months to go and no one signed.

Reply #839049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After Delly, Kay, Broekhoff, Shervill, Reath

Others maybe
Adnam, Motum, Brandt, Mathiang, Moller, Leafa, dufelmeier, robateau

Kids
Smith, armstrong

College
Kuol

Reply #839050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can only sign dps atm

Reply #839051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Salt will go to breakers or Phoenix.

Reply #839052 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Honest question, is tassie a place anyone that is an absolute star between 20-38 would want to go?

We are talking your delly, Kay, motum types that would be also chased by your Melbourne's and Perth’s, not your "next star for minutes" types.

I suppose IH did go to Adelaide...

Reply #839053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with tassie. Imports want big cities, country folk don't care.

Reply #839055 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If the money is right players will play anywhere.

Aside from Kay, Motum, Mathiang types there will be plenty of local free agents available once the season finishes:

36ers: Isaac Humphries (option), Jack McVeigh, Keanu Pinder, Brendan Teys

Wildcats: Mitch Norton, Clint Steindl, Jesse Wagstaff, Majok Majok

Taipans: Kouat Noi, Mirko Djeric, Jarrod Kenny

Bullets: Jason Cadee, Matt Hodgson, Tyler Harrison

Kings: Brad Newley, Craig Moller, Daniel Kickert

Hawks: Cam Bairstow, Deng Adel, AJ Ogilvy, Deng Deng

United: Jock Landale, Mitch McCarron, Yudai Baba, Jo Lual-Acuil, Shea Ili, David Barlow, Sam McDaniel

Phoenix: Kyle Adnam, Adam Gibson, Kendall Stephens (option)

Breakers: Tai Webster, Jarrad Weeks

Reply #839057 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I forgot Xavier Cooks at the Kings too.

Reply #839058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Xavier Cooks seems to be always injured. No thanks. IMO I see maybe 10 players on that list that could be playing for the JJ's. Gibson and a Tassie boy has done nothing this season to make him a candidate for the JJ's or any other team for that matter.

Reply #839060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard workers with good character Roth said.

Reply #839061 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Ryan Broekhoff at SEM too plus Delly will be out of contract as well.

Reply #839062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reath is sitting on the bench for his Serbian team, is Shervill that kid playing for the cats, if so hardly the two you want the most. A few good players on that list but some old stages that don't play much.

You would think they announce their coaching staff soon.

Reply #839063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

8 locals means only 2-3 locals will be starting, the rest are backups.

Reply #839066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C- Reath will go to perth, salt to breakers, Mathiang to Hawks.
Pf- Motum to cairns, Kay to tassie, moneke a slim chance to kings, cairns, 36ers or Phoenix.

I think it's likely tas will get brandt and pickup Ogilvy as backup also.
Get Delly and get import 2 and 3.

Reply #839067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FFS, Dellavedova is going to retire, be stupid to play if concussion injury is bad as reported. Why would you want to go to Tassie. Like saying Ingles is going to play for Sixers when he's done in NBA, ain't going to happen.

Reply #839072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mathiang has a broken leg and with all other euro players will earn more money over there. Let's hope Reath is not anothe Adel.

Reply #839074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mathiang has a broken leg and with all other euro players will earn more money over there. Let's hope Reath is not anothe Adel.

Reply #839076 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Some of those free agents listed by Zodiac are geezers on the way out , Newley, Kickert, Wagstaff, Teys and Barlow won't be back.

McVeigh, Moller, T Webster, Adnam and McCarron are the big names.

Reply #839105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is chima moneke a local yet or will be a import

Reply #839108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is DJ Mitchell 6 8 forward SR Santa Clara the next Kendall Stephens Aussie born american

Reply #839109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

averaging a whooping 6 points a game - yeah na thats a pass.

Reply #839110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"is chima moneke a local yet or will be a import" Why? Yet another name thrown around by people that don't know anything. He's not up to it anyway, He's just someone that people like to talk about from time to time.
The list above is simply some fantasy guy putting together the FA players as already pointed out will retire at seasons end.
No Adnam PLEASE. He's had a good season but next season everyone will have worked him out. He's had a good (flukey) season.
Moller is a local favourite and I would be sure he will wear JJ's colours next season.McCarron / McVeigh would be handy.

Coach Roth wants long termers so that also rules out many on the list who won't be there in 5 years. His import selection on imports is critical. He talks a good game based on his NBA connections and playing experience.
1st season is critical. Otherwise the JJ's will be yet another underwhelming SEM Phoenix.

Reply #839111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import point and five, Moller into the four and start from there. Isn't Mollers connection to Tasmania through Stewart, chargers, huskies though ? Is Stewart going to be on board though.

Reply #839117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes and no he isn't on the board.

Reply #839126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moneke is nbl level for sure.

Reply #839128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly/Adnam/armstrong(dp)
Import/robateau/smith(dp)
Import/Kuol
Kay/Moller/dp
Brandt/Ogilvy

Reply #839129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly. No. ADNAM never. Kay extremely unlikely. Moller will sign, Kuol no nothing about him. Brandt / Ogilvie extremely unlikely. robateau know nothing of him. Armstrong is at college isn't he?

How about suggesting a side that is achievable rather than a fantasy side.

Reply #839190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depending on game style coach wants, Iverson would be a fantastic 5 for a new franchise, need a point that can score but also bring team mates in.

Reply #839210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes after tonight's game and playing on one ankle he would be on my priority list for sure.

Reply #839213 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Dellavedova, Kay and Moller are regulars in this imaginary 2022 Jack Jumpers squad.

Reply #839233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^
Be a good start to a team.

Reply #839241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who seriously cares about an imaginary team. FFS it's not about fantasy. It's about not becoming another SEM Phoenix failure. The locals won't tolerate failure. They will hang Brookhouse and Roth within the 1st 2 seasons if on court success isn't achieved. The money at their disposal in high in the first 5 years I believe. The Tassie Government are chipping in an extra $2mill each year! NO EXCUSES

Reply #839244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's about not becoming another SEM Phoenix failure."

I reckon if the Jack Jumpers are in third place on the ladder midway through their second season they'd be pretty happy with that.

Reply #839276 | Report this post

Ant Man  
Years ago

Just ticked over 3011 foundation members. Let's hope they gat that many members and more!

Reply #840501 | Report this post

Ant Man  
Years ago

Ran into some JJ's fans around town today and they said not many were at the event today. It's Easter. Not sure what they were thinking. Most people either go to their shacks here, go to the mainland or veg at home. 1/2 price flight tickets to the mainland will mean many will exit the state at Easter.

Reply #840642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When can they start approaching players, it seems a bit unfair that they have to wait till season end.

Reply #840691 | Report this post

Ant Man  
Years ago

They can approach any non NBL contracted players and of course any non contracted import.

Reply #840694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So not many.

Reply #840707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has stewie been handed a spot on the coaching staff yet?

Reply #840711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ran into some JJ's fans around town today and they said not many were at the event today."

What event was on?

Reply #840721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not taking off because they talk locals and then get no one in. Stewie has a lot support in Tasmania, ha should have at least got an assistant job.

Reply #840724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HAHAHAHAHA

Reply #840734 | Report this post

Ant Man  
Years ago

JJ's ran a 3 on 3 competition at PW1. Various age groups, with the a family team section as well. Prize for the winner was $2000. Held opposite Salamanca market it was in a prime location to attracts entrants. It is also being run in Launceston on Monday.

Reply #840761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So not many". You want any team to be able to talk to contracted players mid season? That's not how it works.

Reply #840762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This from Basketball Tasmania today.

"Basketball Tasmania is excited (and also sad) to announce that State Head Coach Mark Radford is progressing to another exciting role in basketball.
BTAS CEO Chris McCoy stated: "Mark has performed an exceptional role with Basketball Tasmania over the last 8 years - steering the programs with great growth and success in an excellent culture. Mark is going to be missed by all the families involved in our sport and we wish him very well with the next exciting chapter".
Some of the highlights under Mark Radford's leadership:
* Increase in development program numbers from around 120 to over 450 obtaining weekly training by our professional coaches.
* In 2014, we had only 6 girls on the floor at the weekly SDP sessions and now we have over 50.
* Massive improvement in the Tri-Series event which has gone from 24 teams in 2014 to 52 teams in 2021.
* Tasmanian juniors are being selected for 10% of positions on Australian teams, squads and camps despite having 2% of the country's population.
* Tasmania is highly respected across the country with excellent overall performances at National Junior Championships - regularly beating the much larger populated states.
* Driven the growth of the Country Cup and USA Tours which have provided a great experience for athletes and families.
* Excellent rise in the number of network coaches involved in our programs - in particularly the female coaches which have gone from 4 to 19.
* Progression of the BTAS Basketball Development Officers - as highlighted by Michael Cassidy progressing to the Centre of Excellence in Canberra and Sam Gruggen progressing to a Head Coach at Basketball New South Wales.
* 12 athletes currently on college scholarships in the USA.
Mark Radford stated: "These achievements have been driven by a team of people that have supported and led at different times the development pathway for Basketball Tasmania. I was fortunate to be the Head Coach during this period and I'm confident the great experiences and positive outcomes will continue into the future for basketball in Tasmania."
Please join us in thanking Mark for his excellent service to our sport."

Reply #850081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The DEC will now be called The My State Bank Arena.

Reply #852241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any names rumoured to be signed.

Reply #852244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only rumours. However Coach Roth has worked out 2 local players.

Reply #852246 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Great, another "Arena" - it's become like the 90s where we had a glut of Entertainment Centres.

Reply #852251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any outrage it's not 'Anthony Stewart Stadium’?

Reply #852253 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I think the anon is angry there is no statue of Stewie outside the arena.

Reply #852254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stewart has done so much for basketball in Tasmania and was part of the reason the franchise was even an idea, those taking the piss out of him had better look into the cupboard to see it's bare on what they have achieved in life.

Reply #852256 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That was quick.

Reply #852258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But clever.

Reply #852261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Roth on local TV tonight confirming Kay won't be returning to the NBL next season.

Reply #855373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Kay, no Moller, Norton price going up.

Reply #855374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They wouldn't pay what Moller wanted. Highly unlikely they will pay more for Norton.

Reply #855448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The coach loves Norton, wanted Moller on the cheap.

They must have a few in mind who they believe can get the job done. Surely they have imports in mind.

Reply #855480 | Report this post

Ant Man  
Years ago

Honestly the imports are the least of their worries.

Reply #855504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the imports are the least of their worries, they obviously have players in mind that they will over pay. He's a former nba coach, he must have contracts.

Reply #855518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why over pay? That achieves nothing.

Reply #855526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have to attract players, he'll overpay who he thinks is required. Moller never rated because of his connection to the chargers.

Reply #855532 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What's the alternative to over-paying?

Not having good enough talent to compete.

If there was some magical alternative they could pay less and deliver the same result with same risk, they would.

It’s like saying "let’s make lots of profit with no expenses and no risk".

If you’re Tasmania, you’re entering with a new team and that’s the hardest thing to do. Add to the fact the reality nobody is going to just flock to Tasmania on the basis that a team now happens to be there.

The type of players you can get are either over paying stars; grabbing older guys with risk they may be a step too slow and have limited alternative options; or players that are young and want more time and opportunity - in itself also carries risk.

Adelaide is similar: overpay (IH, Pinder), attract young talent and give lots of opportunity (Dech, Giddey), older guys (Dillon, Teys). Even then Adelaide benefited from having an existing core where they took risks developing the players like DJ (Clarke days) McVeigh (more recently).

Reply #855539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah good example of not how to do it (Adelaide). Plenty of players out there that will stay and play for Tassie at a reasonable price.

Reply #855543 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

You're kidding yourself if you think Tasmania is any more of a go to destination than Adelaide.

You’re going to have to overpay and take on risks.

You’re definitely going to be disappointed with your roster by the sounds of your expectations. You don’t even have the benefit of star falling into your hands like Phoenix did with Creek.

Reply #855546 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

KET: "You're kidding yourself if you think Tasmania is any more of a go to destination than Adelaide.

Why? The only go-to destinations would be Brisbane and Cairns for the weather and lifestyle and Sydney (perhaps) if big-city is your style. In any case, players play for the best deal they can get. Go-to destinations are the ones that want you.

Then you add: "You're going to have to overpay and take on risks."

No more that any other franchise. Magnay and Perth as an example.

New franchise? Should be a shot in the arm. No in-house, imbedded shit to deal with. No financial debts, or failures, or under/wasted-performances from previous season(s), none of that. Just a fresh start with a new team.

Magnay, Deng wanting to prove Gurujian right or wrong, Motum may want to finally come home, the bevvy of young guards who figure that they're ready to step up (and some of them are), Broekhoff as a starter. Any of these guys could see this new franchise as one that they can make their own. Help to set standards, stamp their style on the team and ALWAYS be an inaugural team member.

Ahh, if only I was 60 years younger and able to play! I'd grab my thermals and go to Tas. The contract would have to be under $10,000 'cos I don't think I could afford any more than that.

Reply #855604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magnay, deng Adel and Motum, now there is a defensive threat to all teams, lmao.

Reply #855609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like the previous Devils, Tassie can offer court time. Good money without paying over the top.

Reply #855627 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Motum, Magnay, Broekhoff

Oh my that's a lot of ambition

Reply #855629 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Grow up guys. Any of those guys would be a great signing for a new franchise. And of course I did not mean sign 'em all.

My point is that nothing wrong with playing in Tas, whatever your name or price tag is. Now, I wrote that very slowly so that you could keep up.

Reply #855639 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Doe's anyone know if they are trying to sell all seats for the Jackjumpers in Memberships or will they have designated area's just for general admission patrons?

Reply #856551 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Generally clubs don't sell 100% of their available seats to members so that there will be at least a portion available to the general public game-by-game. Case in point the Wildcats during their last seasons at Challenge Stadium.

Reply #856553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The JJ's won't have 5000 members. GA seating is availble now.

Reply #856567 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

No doubt, only the Wildcats at Challenge have encountered such demand for memberships. It was the question Daniel asked nevertheless.

Reply #856573 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

They will have to spend money to be competitive, obviously. but that doesn't necessarily mean paying too much over the odds.
They need to sign a marquee, and that means marquee money. It also means finding said marquee player, who is ready willing & able to move to Tassie.
With a marquee and up to 3 imports, they would probably be able to go for one or two guys, who are happy to move for better opportunity and a starting gig.

But you can't say they're not going to pay overs, and then talk about chasing guys like Norton and McCarron. Only reason guys like that would move is 4 a lot more money.

Reply #856616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chance announced as Lead Assistant for the JJ's

Reply #857674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well everyone is here now apparently in Tassie. Either in quarantine or in Hobart. Little to nothing from the JJ's. They signed a Coaches sponsor the other day.
I saw the Kings release their Corporate packages the other day and the JJ's are about 15% dearer than what the Kings are offering PLUS their plus doesn't include "beverages". Merchandise more expensive. Seating expensive and as I had posted earlier the Corp seating is more expensive than the AFL or BBL.

Their side on paper look weak and they will need a lot of bums on seats and on court success to sustain people's interest and the Corp's $$'s IMO. Thoughts?

Reply #871207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#207, agree totally, if this team doesn't win the stadium will be quarter full by mid season. I can’t believe the golden opportunity being put together like this, I hope I’m wrong and judging the sentiment badly.

Reply #871218 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:49 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754