Jack Toft
Years ago

SYD v PER Feb 23

NBL Cup action continues with the early game being the rematch between last season's grand finalists. That resulted in Perth winning their 10th* flag. I must admit I have high expectations for this game. Perth are big game players and Sydney seem to pull rabbits out of a hat like a magician at Circular Quay entertaining Chinese tourists.
No Martin will hurt Sydney, but not the pussycats. I will watch to see how DJ plays with two Cats constantly on his back, but my kiss of death must go to the Cats

Topic #48123 | Report this topic

Another Anon  
Years ago

Cotton in doubt
https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/perth-wildcats/perth-wildcats-nightmare-as-bryce-cotton-falls-ill-ahead-of-sydney-kings-clash-ng-b881803577z

Guessing a case of 'Melbourne Bali Belly'

Reply #833723 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Cotton's soy latte was off

Reply #833727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Sydney show up? If Cotton sits, who will Michael Aylen wrap in 'Cotton' wool for the Wildcats? Should be an interesting game. Casper may be the difference.

Reply #833730 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

With Cotton Perth by 7.
Without Cotton Sydney by 24.

Imagine a lineup of :
Norton, Britt
White,Lo Buluk
Blanchfield, Shervill
Travers, Wagstaff
Mooney and Jervis

Yikes.

Reply #833736 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Oh and Bairstow. I'll

Reply #833740 | Report this post

Macca  
Years ago

When the backs are against the wall!

Reply #833745 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think Mooney more so than even Humphries is going to feast on our reduced frontcourt. Even so, with no Cotton it would be a hell of an achievement for the Wildcats and would take a real big game from Blanchfield, who would be looking around at his fellow starters and reminiscing about his Townsville Crocs days.

Reply #833748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blanchfield has been good this season, his shot not always reliable though but far more consistent than before. He fires up and Cotton plays Perth can win this. Can Sydney keep lifting, possible. Expecting a defensive slog actually and could come down to foul count. I'll call it a draw, after double overtime.

Reply #833758 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I get that midweek games aren't going to have Perth-friendly tipoff times, but this isn't even Sydney-friendly.

Reply #833759 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, 5.30PM/3.30PM is brutal. Hoping to avoid the score and try catch the replay tonight.

Reply #833772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Cotton doesn't play either Wani or Shervill will start not White

Reply #833775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is exciting

Perth Wildcats star Bryce Cotton gets visa stamp of approval in huge development in citizenship quest

Reply #833791 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, 5.30PM/3.30PM is brutal.
It's 5pm/2pm.

Reply #833801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm looking forward to Cotton being naturalized then leaving for a bigger contract with Sydney, a la Scott Fisher to Perth ;)

Reply #833803 | Report this post

Vodka 34  
Years ago

Any updates on whether Cotton is playing?

Reply #833848 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

https://mobile.twitter.com/PerthWildcats/status/1364073519085068290

Cotton in. Be interesting how much energy he has.

Reply #833864 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

The Sydney line dropped from -1.5 to +2.5 with Cotton's inclusion.

Surely even Cotton playing he would be on reduced time / energy.

Reply #833884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Louzada on fire

Reply #833898 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Good end to the half for us.

Reply #833900 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Decent close game at the half, Sydney looked to be running away with the momentum but Perth grabbed it back right before the half. The atmosphere at the Cup looks and sounds dead...

Reply #833901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forde had to call a time out, let Perth back in game.

Reply #833902 | Report this post

buffbundy  
Years ago

I'm at the game. Sparse 'crowd' for sure. At least that got me a seat upgrade!

Reply #833903 | Report this post

buffbundy  
Years ago

Forde reminds me of a garden gnome. Not sure why.

Reply #833904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not lot defence going on by either side. Strange game, Kickett getting caught out defensively on Mooney and Hunter o 4 fouls.

Reply #833908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickert with another fake big man cheap shot bumping Mooney after a dunk in his back.
has he not learnt from Philippines

Reply #833910 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

John Mooney is killing it, Sydney look rattled this quarter

Reply #833911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller might not be that great offensively but at least he bust his arse on defence, some other kings guys could do good following the example. Cotton is such a great player and Mooney was eating Kickett and Forde does FA.

Reply #833913 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Has someone infused some Nick Kay DNA into John Mooney's

Reply #833914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooney might be better, Gleeson teacher Forde a lesson.

Reply #833916 | Report this post

shake n bake  
Years ago

If Cotton is not feeling well.... Damn get that man some 3 week old oysters before every game.

Reply #833919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings are f.....g arrogant.

Reply #833921 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

Well done Cats. Mooney had a hell of a game. And Cotton was Cotton.

Hopefully Cotton gets naturalised soon and we can pick up another import.

Reply #833922 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Great game! Both teams. Both ends. Great Game!

Martin plays... and has to be a very different game, even if result the same. Mooney was outstanding, no doubt, but no Martin and Hunter on 4 fls in 1st half. Mooney v Martin match-up? I want to see that!

Reply #833924 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Cotton will be the mvp this year..

Reply #833926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney's subbing is mind boggling, Didi on fire bench, Kickett on Mooney was that exasperating. DJ got points late, his worst game so far.

Reply #833928 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I would say that if Martin were playing it goes to Sydney. Perth don't have any great interior defenders, they have good team defenders for sure.

Nonetheless well done Wildcats. Mooney is so useless missing that 3 pter.

Reply #833931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson praising Forde before the game, lulled him in and got Perth back into the finals calculations. Up to third. If Cotton is naturalised soon and they bring in an other scorer they are favourites again, believe me.

Reply #833937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wish Cotton would hurry up and get naturalised. Because if he doesn't, perth supporters will just make excuses for not winning

Reply #834020 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Difficult to make excuses for not winning if you win.

Reply #834030 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Great game and happy with result.
Fingers crossed we can keep up these type of performances.

Reply #834036 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"I'm looking forward to Cotton being naturalized then leaving for a bigger contract with Sydney, a la Scott Fisher to Perth ;) "

IIRC Fisher left to play overseas, before returning to Australia.
Also, he didn't naturalise until playing for Perth.

Reply #834037 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Enjoy this win Paul Smith you wanker.

Reply #834042 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

So Perth by 7. Feels good to be correct.

Hoping Steindl comes back fit and firing soon.

Reply #834046 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

At 1.8 seconds to go in the third, Forde called a coupla players over to him for a chat. So, there wasn't enough players forward to make a shot on the inbound. Strange.

I noticed at the NBL, this season, that Mooney is a mighty player.

Reply #834095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I also noticed that a very good player is a very good player.

Reply #834108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because they reviewed the time. Changed it from 0.8 to 1.8. Called them in to run them forward. Not strange at all

Reply #834115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like all first year coaches you learn on the run, Forde is no exception, some of his subbing and whining about refs in after game interviews is just plain ordinary.

Reply #834122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon I have to stop calling him Moondog Spot and change to Moondog Wrecks with the way he is playing rn

Reply #834126 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I noticed that Kickert showed very high and hard on Cotton. almost every time.

Most of those plays, by the eye test, resulted in open baskets.

Hasn't Forde learned as a coach of Cotton AND as a coach against Cotton in last year's GF?

OK they probably didn't bank on 12/13 from Mooney, but they have already been torched 7/9 3pts from Kay.

Reply #834155 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

At 1.8 seconds to go in the third, Forde called a coupla players over to him for a chat. So, there wasn't enough players forward to make a shot on the inbound. Strange.
Forde called them over to the sideline, Cotton went with them thinking he could listen in to their plan, then they immediately broke towards the basket on a backdoor cut, freeing themselves of the defence and having momentum towards the rim on a catch.

You can see the moment Cotton realises what's about to happen and pulls out.

Reply #834165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can be an assistant, Kelly, Mitchell examples from good senior coaches still take a year to settle. It's not that easy, certainly game day feel.

Reply #834166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hasn't Forde learned as a coach of Cotton AND as a coach against Cotton in last year's GF?"

Didn't you watch the grand final? That was the biggest criticism of Weaver was they played drops. The fact Forde tried something did showed he did learn from it. Wether it worked or not he didn’t do the drops coverage like in the GF

Reply #834178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not reacting to Kickett getting smashed by Mooney was just as bad as drops. The score flattered the kings, White playing the last few minutes let kings make score respectable.

Reply #834179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooney is an epic signing by Perth

Reply #834183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooney had a great game, under limited opposition. He is very good in NBL, but let's not get too excited. He will face tougher defenders, and not shoot that efficiently for most games.

Reply #834191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geez the Cats would love it if Nick Kay came back. Imagine having that pair as your frontcourt?

Reply #834206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Geez the Cats would love it if Nick Kay came back. Imagine having that pair as your frontcourt?

The Perth are cheats threads would multiply tenfold.

Reply #834280 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:22 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754