Zodiac
Years ago

United vs Sixers Feb 25

I think Jack Toft must've not realised there are two games on tonight but I'm eagerly anticipating this one. Not because I expect the Sixers to win, that's unlikely but after the 20+ point beat down United gave us at home in the season opener I'm keen to see how we respond.

United are still top of the ladder despite the struggles of Hopson and Goulding and Ili currently being out injured but as a rich club they still have enough talent there to keep the ship afloat a luxury most other clubs don't have so it can be fools gold to think United are currently ripe for the plucking.

I would love to see the Sixers win this game David slaying Goliath but Vickerman is a great coach and despite United's proclivity of poaching/buying up the best talent every offseason it's left to him to put it all together and mold those disjointed pieces into a somewhat coherent team. Despite United only having won championship to show for it all I still think he does a better job than most coaches would and is a very good defensive coach too.

United by 5

Topic #48133 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

*one

Reply #834261 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

United by 51? Agreed

Reply #834265 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Whilst United are undermanned Adelaide should take advantage and go for the win.
Will be closer than round 1. United by 3.

Reply #834270 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

My prediction is Adelaide by 7 and LV to find 24 excuses for losing within 10min of the final whistle, none of which will be that a better side won. "They were due a loss", "refs were biased", "Ili is underdone", "Landale is overdone" etc etc

Reply #834274 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

I normally don't like Adelaide to be honest but seeing how LV reacts after a Melb loss is entertaining

Let's go Sixers.

Reply #834275 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Who will guard Landale?

Conversely who will Landale guard, Humphries or DJ?

Reply #834279 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Hopefully minimum time for Teys unless he is ready to step way up.

Sixers need to up the ante both shooting and defending from range and we just saw a bit of that last game.

Will be interested in refereeing this game as they know well who pays their salaries.

Reply #834281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is this game any different to every United game then Ayjay? Such a dumb comment

Reply #834285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really think we should start Pinder at the 3 and get him to run with Landale on the defensive end, he's by far the best option and his long range shooting will be a great help on offense as well spreading the floor and freeing the key.

Reply #834287 | Report this post

Dione92  
Years ago

Adelaide by 10. Humpi and DJ to again carry the load but will overpower MU...Giddey to crave up United like lamb at Yanni Yiros Bar..
Confidence is key factor ... feeling good Sixers to keep the faith for the believers ... jump off if not prepared to ride the wild trek to victory ... pumped for Humph ...

Reply #834289 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Start Pinder? The guy isn't NBL standard.

Reply #834290 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I honestly thought the 'start Pinder' comment was made purely to setup a hair joke.

Reply #834293 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Sorry I think my post was lost on cyber space....

Reply #834302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#StartPinder

Reply #834329 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

There's always some joker that says Pinder is the Sixers' best defender.

Things must look very different in their world.

Reply #834337 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

We look abysmal.

Reply #834341 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Massacre alert!

Weewooweewoo

Reply #834342 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Where's the defibrillator? Need a jumpstart ASAP

Reply #834343 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This is pathetic

Reply #834344 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

My prediction is on the money

Reply #834345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a fucking flop

Yep

Reply #834346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor call, flop..

Reply #834347 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Ket, at this rate you are still going to be out 30+ points

Reply #834348 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Boomers COE team would be better than Radelaide

Reply #834349 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Pinder really need a parlor..his hair so annoying..

Reply #834351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Boomers COE team would be better than Radelaide"

Then United lose the quarter by 10 points

Reply #834352 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Need 30

Reply #834354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pinder isn't the flashiest player but man he needs more minutes him and Humphries are the only 2 players that give you something on offense and defense.

Reply #834362 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Pinder gives us nothing on offence and defence.

Reply #834365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^
It's crazy how coaching can change a players career outlook. Jack White and Pinder are basically carbon copies yet one is flourishing with good minutes and the other is wasting away on the bench for unknown reasons. Switch those 2 players and I guarantee their stats would completely swap around.

Reply #834366 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Stop are you the anon going on about Moller?

Jack White is 3-4 times the player Pinder is.

Reply #834367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller sucks

Reply #834368 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I think Tiny is posting.

Reply #834369 | Report this post

Dione  
Years ago

White was a respected role player for four years at Duke (learning from Mike K, one of the most successful college coaches of all time), plus being All-Academic. He's got a good head on his shoulders. Pinder has something on his head.

Reply #834370 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Jack has heart, Pinder has hair. Jack plays with composure, Pinder has hissy fits. Jack captained Duke, Pinder ???

No comparison except in height

Reply #834371 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Pinder's hair reminds me of a fly-blown sheep

Reply #834372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a play by United straight after a time-out!!

Reply #834373 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Hope Whites ok, but that was a fair attempt at a block.

Reply #834374 | Report this post

Dione  
Years ago

So... you can make a play on the ball, and still be unsportsmanlike?

Reply #834375 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

He was penalised on the way white landed not the contact. Our refs are a joke.

Reply #834376 | Report this post

Ouch  
Years ago

Cromer seems nice

Reply #834377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baba should have launched a 3. There was half a point on the bloody NBL Cup ladder in it

Reply #834378 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

That was a fair effort by Crocker IMO. Sure a foul, but unsportsmanlike??? Bit excessive which seemed more about the injury to White than anything.

Hope White is OK. That finger looked nasty.

Well done United, but after that first you'd have thought Adelaide were no chance. They came back well, just not well enough.

Reply #834379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs love any chance to call an unsportsmanlike, makes them the centre of attention

Reply #834380 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

In NBA player was upset if you still playing with 20secs and you know that you win by a big margin..up by 7 pts with 8secs..now white is injured bec of stupid play..

Reply #834381 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't want to go all LV after a loss but that was a pretty ordinary call by the refs. Game was over but that block by Crocker looked to be all ball but it did look real bad live but that's what the official review is for...

Reply #834382 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Is Brandon Paul on the bench or is that someone else?

Reply #834383 | Report this post

Dione  
Years ago

LK probably not happy his team seemingly don't care about his precious NBL Cup points?

Reply #834384 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

I actually have no issue with the attempted score. Points matter in the cup so need to play it out, but that was not unsportsmanlike

Reply #834385 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Still we did well to get within 4 points late after being down 26 at one point early in the game. I don't think the game was as close as it looked United never really looked in any danger of losing but at least we showed some heart winning the last 3/4 of the game.

Reply #834386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jay your an idiot, in the NBA the extra points mean nothing those 2 points for white actually could make a difference in the NBL.

Reply #834387 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Is Brandon Paul on the bench or is that someone else?

Not sure who you're talking about but couldn't be Paul I don't think he's arrived yet plus has to do 2 weeks quarantine on top of it.

Reply #834389 | Report this post

Dione  
Years ago

Can't blame White at all for attempting to score. Can’t blame Crocker for contesting. Adelaide can at least take some solace that they put up a fight.

Reply #834390 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

When United got out to a 26 point lead the game had the potential to be a blowout like has been only rarely seen in the NBL since the early-mid 80s. But although Melbourne kinda did take their foot off the accelerator after that, credit to Adelaide for making a game of it. In the end class won out, but that was a gutsy effort by the 36ers tonight.

Reply #834393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers did good, got start better, fill a few holes in the roster and they should be competing for championship, certainly next season.

Reply #834394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really wanna know why DJ and Humphries only feel like showing up every second game.

Reply #834398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TB why is it not unsportsmanlike? Maybe google Unsportsmanlike foul criteria 2

Reply #834399 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

That call of USF was embarrassing. They even reviewed it and still came to that conclusion. Morons.
Gee Crocker had a mixed bag. As bad a first quarter as you'll ever see but not too bad from then on.
Some very soft calls on Isaac. Lots of positives, we could’ve rolled over. Can’t wait to see Brandon Paul play, Gaze is a big fan.

Reply #834400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If McDaniel fouled and injured Giddey in the last two seconds in exactly the same fashion man the attitudes in here would be different. Stupid play and deserved to be punched in the face for the injury risk alone.

Reply #834401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were the black tshirts worn by some Adelaide players legal under Fiba rules?

Reply #834403 | Report this post

Dione92  
Years ago

Give Sixers credit for coming back real hard...got get the one quarter speed hump wobble out of game... play 4 and match or beat the best ... the ingredients are there clearly - got admire character of this outfit - young equals inconsistency lapses. Rectumfy and confidence to fore...

Reply #834404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It takes a certain level of poor to fall behind 26 in a 40 minute contest. They got what they deserved with that start. Period.

Reply #834405 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Stupid comment from anon. If Giddey went for a dunk then the opponent has the right to try and block it.
Just like Crocker did. You really think Crocker did wrong? If so, you're a special kind of moron. I actually like that he didn’t let White waltz in and dunk it.

Reply #834406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of special morons here. Most of them post.

Reply #834408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess Crockers "defense" of grabbing at the waist and pulling down the shorts when beat for the dunk is a heads up basketball play too. Yea right. He was already beat, the only thing that could happen was foul and risk injury. Mission accomplished by a dumbass play

Reply #834411 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Rectumfy and confidence to fore...

Are you sure?

rectumfy - Urban Dictionary
To correct a situation or misunderstanding by furiously penetrating someone anally

Reply #834413 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

If you watch the replay I think it's pretty obvious that the unsportsmanlike foul was warranted.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d8rIurle9pw

I don’t think the play was particularly dirty, but if you contest a dunk on the break, make body contact and cause a player to go flying you’re going to get called every time regardless of the state of the game.

Overall it was a good game, pity Adelaide didn’t show up on that first quarter because overall I thought they played some good ball once they relaxed on offence and tightened up on D. For United McCarron was very solid and nice to see some good back cuts being run for a Landale down low (early). Baba was sloppy I thought while Hopson finally showing what he can deliver (solid mid-range + slash to the hoop). T

Reply #834414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Dmac working on whites dribbling skills and he's much improved perimeter shot. Does white make the nba in the next few seasons?
His defense is top notch already and a great athlete.

I’ve got him in my nbl based player Asia cup squad already as a pf.

Asia Cup team 2021 - if nbl players only
6’0 Cotton cg
6’2 Mccarron cg
6’3 Vasljevic sg
6’4 Sobey cg
6’4 Goulding sg
6’5 Creek cf
6’7 Broekhoff sf
6’8 White cf
6’8 Cooks cf
6’11 Landale pf/c
6’11 Johnson pf/c
6’11 Humphries pf/c

Other potentials - tough decisions, especially Giddey atm.
Giddey
Dech
Adel
Noi
Bairstow
Froling
Pineau
Hunter

Reply #834415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So basically everybody.....

Reply #834416 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

The foul looks worse that what it is because White goes flying but the problem with calling that an unsportsmanlike foul is how else was Crocker supposed to challenge that shot? He legitimately went for the block and got a lot of ball. Because both players were going at speed there's consequences but that doesn't make it unsportsmanlike.

And if it is, then the message you're sending to players is don't even try and block a dunk on the break, just give up.

Reply #834420 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

If McDaniel fouled and injured Giddey in the last two seconds in exactly the same fashion man the attitudes in here would be different. Stupid play and deserved to be punched in the face for the injury risk alone.

Exactly. I'm old school enough to remember the furore on here when Larry Abbey did something similar to the Sixers' Brad Hill. Oh the outrage back then.

Reply #834421 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Larry Abney*

Reply #834422 | Report this post

Dione92  
Years ago

Horrific injury that could have been avoided...

Reply #834423 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Well done Adelaide for making that a contest after a terrible start. 3 quarters won so a few points there.

Hopson to the bench. Good move. Vickerman might be reading my posts? Nah, it was just a move that made sense.

Would've been nice to see United players confront Crocker more after that unnecessarily hard foul on the last play. He got a lotta ball but got a lot more body. Crocker is a veteran and that was a hard foul. The right call but United should've flown the flag more.

If Baba shot a 3 on the last play, tied quarter, he should've.

Giddey will be a weapon in the NBA one day

I feel like White will win a DPOY at some point.

Kendle deserves more time?

United has been lucky, Humphries was injured and restricted the first time and had foul trouble tonight.

Reply #834425 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[? He legitimately went for the block and got a lot of ball. Because both players were going at speed there's consequences but that doesn't make it unsportsmanlike.]

Why don't you just write "I don't know the rules" and leave it at that?

It was excessive contact. End of story. Just because he got some ball doesn't save him.

Reply #834426 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Just gonna leave this here for the many posters in this thread who might wanna learn the rules of the game you're commenting on....

http://www.fiba.basketball/documents

Official Basketball Rules 2020 - v1.0
Valid as of October 1st, 2020

Art. 37 Unsportsmanlike foul
37.1 Definition
37.1.1 An unsportsmanlike foul is a player contact which, in the judgement of a referee is:
• Contact with an opponent and not legitimately attempting to directly play the ball
within the spirit and intent of the rules.
• Excessive, hard contact caused by a player in an effort to play the ball or an
opponent.
• An unnecessary contact caused by the defensive player in order to stop the pro-
gress of the offensive team in transition. This applies until the offensive player
begins his act of shooting.

• An illegal contact caused by the player from behind or laterally on an opponent,
who is progressing towards the opponent's basket and there are no other players
between the progressing player, the ball and the basket. This applies until the
offensive player begins his act of shooting.
• Contact by the defensive player on an opponent on the playing court when the
game clock shows 2:00 minutes or less in the fourth quarter and in each overtime,
when the ball is out-of-bounds for a throw-in and still in the hands of the referee
or at the disposal of the player taking the throw-in.

37.1.2 The referee must interpret the unsportsmanlike fouls consistently throughout the
game and to judge only the action.

Reply #834427 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I'm surprised there are people disputing the USF. It was an obvious USF. Getting ball doesn't provide immunity against an unsportsmanlike.

Reply #834430 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Anyone got a clip of it?

Reply #834432 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

According to the rules above nearly every foul committed could be considered unsportsmanlike by the refs. Every perfect screen should then be called unsportsmanlike as there is no play on the ball and excessive contact.

Reply #834434 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

" Excessive contact"
You're kidding right? They were both going at speed, White went for a dunk, Crocker went for the block.
There’d have to be 3-4 USF a game then just on block attempts.

Reply #834438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A screen is a basketball act. It's very intent is not to play the ball hence screening has it’s only section in the rule book. Some of you people who claim to know basketball are absolutely clueless regarding the rules and their intent. Maybe also read the interpretations document in conjunction with the rule book to enlighten yourselves because currently most of you look stupid.

Reply #834439 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Crocker was not attempting to cleanly block that shot, he was clearly targeting White with his body.

Reply #834441 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Just watched the replay again, thanks JMS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=d8rIurle9pw

Can't believe people are defending this play. Plenty of USF's have been called in the NBL for less.

And I'm supposed the be the resident one eye supporter on Hoops!

Reply #834443 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

I think judging USF's is a difficult one for umpires given the many different facets to consider as posted by LV, however not sure how you koberulz can judge the intent of Crocker going for body? Crocker is generally a locked in defender trying to stay in front of his man and is regularly with an active intent trying to steal and block shots. I really think it just comes down to physics and the angles that both players were at, position of the ball when Crocker blocked it etc.

I think and interesting one to consider for an NBA comparison... would it have been called a flagrant one?

Reply #834444 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Crocker is a veteran, he's played Euroleague.

He knew what he was doing.

I'm not suggesting he intended to cause injury (no one can predict how someone will land).

I'm saying in the split second he left the ground, knowing where White was and White's trajectory, he knew there was very minimal chance of getting a clean block and a significant chance he'd end up committing a hard foul. Which did occur.

If you can't see that, then you need to watch or play more basketball.

Reply #834447 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Its about the angles, White was in front and Crockers body was behind yet he came from a side angle. Crocker knew that in the instant he jumped, then no attempt to modify his defensive action in the air either

Again Crocker is experienced enough to know the probabilities on a play like that. Any experiences player or observer can recognise that. He knew the chances it'd result in a hard foul.

Reply #834448 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

LV... (Crocker) "he knew there was minimal chance he would get a clean block..." Righto, you're into mind reading like koberulz now? Do you guys hang out with Uri Geller by chance? ;P

Reply #834450 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

PS LV - if you believe that you can mind read, then you need to watch or live more life... ;)

Reply #834451 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It's not mind reading, it's simple judgment about probabilities of what will occur on a play.

Every time you defend a play, in those split seconds you're thinking about the probabilities, how aggressive you will be and what kinds of risks you'll take to make a stop or reduce the likelihood of a score. Based on where your opponent his, his trajectory of movement, the angles.

Reply #834453 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And I'll also say, anyone knows you can "go for the ball" while committing a hard foul.

It's impossible to know exactly what Crocker's intent was, but we can confidently say at a minimum, he made that defensive play in the knowledge there was a significant chance he'd end up committing a hard foul on an airborne player. At a minimum we can say that.

Reply #834455 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And one last comment, I'd also suggest my last post is the exact reason why the unsportsmanlike rule includes article 2. That's the exact rationale.

Everyone knows you can "play the ball" and make hard contact. But hard contact runs the risk of injury, and hard contact isn't in the interests of basketball. So if you run the gauntlet and make a play with potential for hard contact and it occurs, well understand you can get penalised. So, modify your defense, play as legally as possible at all times and reduce the chances of fouling someone unnecessarily hard. That's what they're encouraging people to do.

Reply #834456 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Prior to the rule revisions, this sort of play happened all the damn time and was always applauded as a "good hard foul" and "making him earn it from the line".

Now all of a sudden it's clearly an attempt to block a shot?

Fuck outta here.

Reply #834457 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

^ Spot on

Reply #834459 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Neither of you koberulz and LV entertained the consideration as to whether it would be considered a flagrant one in the NBA? Block attempts in the air at the rim happen umpteen times a game with all sorts of varying results. I believe you two are the ones describing it as a hard foul? Was it a foul? Yes. Was it ruled and USF? Yes. Move along, nothing to see.

koberulz, your vernacular is slipping as indicated by your last statement

Reply #834460 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

PS - did Crocker block the shot, yes or no?

Reply #834462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cavolo whether he blocked the shot, hit the ball blah blah etc etc is irrelevant.

Excessive, hard contact caused by a player IN AN EFFORT TO PLAY THE BALL or an opponent.

Reply #834463 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Neither of you koberulz and LV entertained the consideration as to whether it would be considered a flagrant one in the NBA?]

I watch a lot more NBL than NBA. Especially this time of year, NBA games have about as much defensive intensity as a group of grandmas drinking afternoon tea so you're unlikely to see aggressive defensive plays.

NBL runs off FIBA rules I quoted earlier, as do all basketball competitions I believe? Not sure why you're bringing NBA into this?

Reply #834464 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

as do all basketball competitions *in Australia* I believe?

Reply #834465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you need to consider a comparison with NBA flagrant 1? Has has no bearing on the FIBA unsportsmanlike rule.

Reply #834466 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Anon, if you read my post, I have no objection with it being called an USF. Some of our esteemed posters on here such as koberulz and LV appear to believe they can read Crocker's mind and are judging his intent. I'm picking at them for such. Anon no 2 or the same (?), I'm not suggesting that the Flagrant One in the NBA has any bearing on FIBA's USF, but in the spirit of a forum and discussing opinion, I thought it might be an interesting discussion point, but maybe too many sensitive souls on here on a Friday morning to entertain this consideration and discussion point? :)

Reply #834467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is not an USF at any level. He blocked the shot FFS.

Reply #834468 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

This isn't the NBA, so it's completely irrelevant, and I've only watched four or five NBA games in the past ten years so I wouldn't have a clue anyway. I don't care.

I do know that I've seen this sort of play dozens of times, and made it myself on more than one occasion. Nobody questioned intent back then, it was accepted as intentional but just a normal foul because the USF rules weren't what they are now.

Reply #834469 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That is not an USF at any level. He blocked the shot FFS.
Whether he blocked the shot or not is not relevant.

Reply #834470 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Funnily enough every Sixers fan is saying it wasn't a USF and every non-Sixers fan thinks it is, so we know which side is right.

Reply #834472 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

I think your comprehension skills are also dropping koberulz as again, I offer up the flagrant one comparison as an interesting discussion point given how this blocked shot and subsequent USF has created some spicy conjecture, not to try and justify an opinion on whether the USF was correct or not etc. Thank you for deeming this suggestion irrelevant. I hereby deem myself unacceptable to contribute to this forum moving forward ;P Maybe others may wish to consider the comparison then because as you state, your care factor is zero because you're limited to only one league of basketball.

Reply #834473 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Every non Sixers fan thinks it's an USF?
Bogut didn’t and he hates the 6ers. Felix van hofe? Big Sixers fan? Nope.
LV and Perthworld clearly the only ones on here that know basketball. Must bow to the gurus.

Reply #834475 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I was referring to the posters in this thread.

Reply #834479 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Looked like reckless and excessive contact to me. It doesnt have to be deliberate.

I watch WAY more NBA than NBL, but the NBA rules are irrelevant to any discussion about FIBA rules ESPECIALLY on an USF. In the NBA you're legitimately allowed to "wrap up" a guy to stop him taking a layup which is DUMB.

Coming from someone who has been following the Sixers more than anyone this season due to Giddey and who hates United, this was an USF. easy.

Reply #834485 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Perhaps some here need to clarify whether they disagree with the referee's interpretation of the rule or disagree with the rule itself. Especially for those bringing the NBA into the discussion. I'm struggling to comprehend how anyone can complain about this call when the defender was going at that speed on a hard body-to-body collision course with a mid-air player, irrespective of getting ball.

Imagine if this kind of defensive strategy was regularly employed late in games, when fouling out was less a risk, for any layup/dunk. Still ok with this kind of hard mid-air foul on every layup/dunk? Even add in the proviso that there must be a play on the ball. Still alright?

For those claiming it was only called USF because of White's injury, notice that the USF was called immediately, before it became obvious that White had a nasty looking injury.

Reply #834518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the best part of the last decade the league has called an USF when a player makes excessive contact while another player is in the air. It doesnt made it he got "all ball" while also ramming him through the chest. Its an USF every day of the week.

Reply #834521 | Report this post

Looking Forward  
Years ago

Is Kendle worth consideration for the third (cheap) import spot next season?

Reply #834522 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If you put aside all the hooha about technicalities of what USF is according to the black letter law blah blah

That play by Crocker had a reckless nature to it because he came flying in to contest on an airborne transition which can obviously result in unfortunate injury. The leg kicking through doesn't look great in addition to colliding. He actually got surprisingly close to pulling it off - it doesn’t immediately look all that bad when you watch it.

End of the day, I’d want to see that as USF. I wouldn’t criticise the bloke as dirty or down right stupid (granted a bit stupid) - I’d say perhaps next time when you’re that far behind either do a DJ (nothing) or go for the block right at the top near the rim so that you don’t risk body contact.

Feel for White, nobody wants to see anyone hurt like that - I have no doubt the 36ers will be calling to check in and United boys will be rallying around him. Looking forward to seeing him on the floor soon!

Reply #834526 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Well said Ket

Reply #834538 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:11 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754