Anonymous
Years ago

NBL: Are there too many review stoppages?

Do you guys think there are too many reviews? The stoppages take the air out of the game and it seems there's no protocol about when they can be made. Just when players get agitated it seems.

Topic #48249 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't think there's a single human being on the planet who disagrees.

At least the coach's challenge is gone now, so that's a start.

Reply #838035 | Report this post

There needs to be more reviews. Every time any player or coach thinks there needs to be a review in the final three minutes of the fourth quarter, then we should head to the screens. Then have sponsorship run on the bottom of the telecast to make money for the league in a manner which isn't obvious but definitely makes you think about the product at the bottom of the screen in bright neon colours, not too dissimilar to what your mum used to wear to the discotheque back in the 80s! We also need more swearing from coaches in timeouts. Quit holding back and just unleash a few F bombs and even drop the C bomb if a player is worthy of it. Just let loose, ratings will skyrocket and rich kids can use those new words they learnt when playing rep ball the following week.

Reply #838036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The referees just need to be better at their job.

Reply #838040 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

I like watching the players waving their index finger around at the refs regularly. The fact that the players are wrong most of the time makes it even more enjoyable.

Reply #838051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most reviews take a few seconds and have no impact on the continuity of play. I don't see any issue with the current approach.

Reply #838052 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Reviews are killing watchability rn.

Leave them for the final quarter at best, that's it.

Reply #838055 | Report this post

I think there's more review time each game than Dellcomputerova has seen court time across his distinguished career.

Reply #838057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*Makes swirling index finger motion on this thread*

Reply #838060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There should be fewer reviews. They break up the flow of time outs. Especially in the last minutes of close finishes. Like yesterday's.

Reply #838061 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

I still believe (as I stated in an earlier thread) that in the slightly long-term we will see far fewer reviews.

IMO, the standout result, so far, is that refs DO make mistakes and have no choice but to accept that players, coaches and even fans get it right some times when they, the PROFESSIONAL refs, 3 of them, watching nothing but the game, don't. And they (the refs) used to refuse the thought that THEY made mistakes. "No. That's what we do, what we are good at!"????

The more their calls ARE the right ones, the fewer reviews, and frustrations (at "bad" calls) we will all experience.

Remember too, the players coaches and even the fans may stop their (my) whinging at every call they (I) don't like.

Ah, Bliss! Oh yes, and the music is still too loud at some venues. It drowns out the TV commentary. Hey, that could be great for some!

Reply #838068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You will never be removed from human error. It's in every sport, every aspect of life. Get over it

Reply #838070 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Honestly. I can live with human error. That's where I want to see this system used.

Using the review system sparingly and when necessary, can help me "get over it".

Reply #838073 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Hey, to strengthen that last call of mine, when the review shows that I was wrong, it's further proof to me that the system does work! Yeah, I also suffer from being human.

Reply #838074 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Shame it can't be used to challenge when a ref calls a foul from halfway which happens in the key and clearly isn’t a foul on the replays.

I’m not sure how that would fit alongside any FIBA rule that one ref cannot overturn another ref’s call, tho.

Reply #838077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's fine, doesn’t take long and I’d prefer the correct result.

Reply #838083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoopie how often does a referee in the NBL make a call from half way - actual half way when the ball is in the key? (which is different to being the trail referee by the way)

Reply #838085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least show a replay, both on telecast and at the games. Nothing worse than sitting there waiting for the review and not even getting to watch and make a judgement yourself!!

Reply #838086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the comment yesterday when Gibson got his tech and asked the ref "Didn't you hear the slap (On wrist when shooting)", to which he got "I only call what I see, not what I hear (or words to that effect)".
Thank God they're not detectives, they could hear a gun shot, turn around and see some shot and some guy with a smoking gun and say "Didn't see it, mustn't have happened, on your way!"
Yet so many whistles are blown in expectations of fouls, but it's proved there was no foul.
IMO, 1 challenge per team, everything in final 2 minutes automatically reviewed. But limit those to out of bounds, travels, things like that. During breaks in game, review for foot on line 3s for example.

Reply #838097 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Not often, I would think, but then I don't watch every minute of every game.

It happened recently - can't remember the game - but I remember it had an impact on the game. The ref was clearly behind the play new the half and unable to see that it was a clean strip of a layup.

Anyway, that was a distraction from the main point of the thread. I think there are too many stoppages, even if it's in the interests of accuracy and fairness. Mistakes should balance out, even in noisy pressured venues such as Perth.

Reply #838098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So a foot on the line for a 3 with 2 seconds left your going to check at the end of the game. What if that 3 puts a team 1 point up or 2. What if the game is tied, the 3 is actually a 2 and the offence don't need to force a 3? It’s great to right your thoughts down in a forum but they aren’t always practical. Some things need to be checked immediately.

Reply #838099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That detective analogy is terrible.

There is nothing in the rules that says that if you hear a foul, call one.

Reply #838101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine the fans clapping their hands when their team's players shoot if they felt refs will call based on what they hear rather than what they see.Yet another great suggestion from a fan.

Basketball is a stop-start game (70-100 per game) with a lot of relatively long stops. That’s why 40 minutes of NBL playing time takes 2 hours of elapsed time. Reviews don’t add that much to it.given the frequency and length of usual stoppages, they shouldn’t affect momentum much, as they’re just another dead ball situation.

A problem may arise when it takes more than the 90-120 seconds of stoppage usually needed for a time out. So if refs can’t sort it within 90 seconds, the review should stop and the call stand.

Reply #838116 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:27 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754