Anon
Years ago

U20 NATIONALS

Hi there,
Now the fuss is slightly over about the u18 nationals. Let's take a look at U20. Does anyone know any team line ups. Have seen Vic and Nsw announced theirs haven’t heard a peep from SA. Another thing is some of the best u20 players for SA are key players in their NBL1 teams, how do they go about missing games if they are in teams. Would be interesting to see what their clubs think considering it’s during the season and interrupts commitments.

Topic #48390 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No line ups yet
Still on the phone begging players to get half interested in a nothing tournament.

Reply #843480 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Is it a proper U/20 Nationals when you have states entering 2 teams in both the boys and girls grouping.

One team is generally stronger with tge best players in one team and the second team is bottom agers.

This used to be a good tournament but a lot of the better players are not attending because they do not want to or are off to college.

Reply #843505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This tournament should be named after Stephen Bradbury
Last man standing type setup
Bit of a pisstake to be honest

Reply #843511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is obviously just a make up event for last year that's designed to give anyone and everyone who might have made a team last year or this year a final chance to play. Which is nice, but also waters the whole thing down so it's no longer an elite event. Hardly better than uni games at this point.

Reply #843535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the good players are at college or pro
And if a player is on that pathway they wouldn't risk injury at this Sunday afternoon social event.
Dare say it will be scrapped after this year.

Reply #843539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think WA are a realist chance to win 20s along with 18s. What a turn around for a state thats high performance program had struggled for a while ( not counting the travers, swaka ,jackson age group )

Reply #843546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard to believe junior basketball struggled in WA with kids watching the Wildcats win title after title

Reply #843548 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Not really hard to understand the different in success for WA teams, you only have to look at the current HP Manager and the previous one. Current one is approachable, makes rationale decisions, doesn't select from just his purple circle and actually cares about the program rather than just waiting for the next opportunity somewhere back near their home state. The previous manager, well one only has to look at the 18s NSW results to understand why a large majority of those in WA were happy to see his departure. Talks a great game but the talent doesn't match the ego

Reply #843577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is the HP person for WA?

Must keep an extremely low profile as I was at Werribee and didn't see anyone all over the coaches and players at halftime and after the games like the other states high performance coaches.

Dont think I saw this person at the GF in the aftermatch basking in the glory either, or were they not in attandance?

Reply #843616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wa metro u16 looks ok too.
I've seen Lahiri before and chop, pretty good.

Reply #843619 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Dave Naylor - WA HP Manager

Reply #843628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was there. Not the type to be front and centre. Low key, gets job done.

Reply #843640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ive heard chop is out injured and lahiri was recently kicked out of his club team for disciplinary issues so not sure what that means for him state wise as he wont be playing wabl this year

Reply #843684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know if the WA teams are already in Mackay?

Reply #844775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No WA teams still in Perth

Reply #844823 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

WA teams are still preparing to leave but looks cut-throat all depends on QLD now.. out of the coaches and players control, be disappointing as some have waited 2 years

Reply #845220 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

One of the funniest things I have seen recently, Vic Girls 10 up and choke to NSW, go Blues....Vic played 5 COE girls all game which is half the Aust u19 team and couldn't get close, chokers.....hopefully the World Cup u19 selectors take notice and have a few more in the lineup from the others states

Reply #846525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess if you have the COE playing Waratah it plays into the NSW hands a little bit as they get a free scout...or maybe because they play that trash comp they just aren't used to any ACTUAL pressure...what a joke

Reply #846526 | Report this post

Bob Bobalina  
Years ago

Hi Bob here from another channel thought I would chime in here after watching the under 20 Vic girls today, WOW you go NSW, way to show them.

What the hell is going on with Victoria basketball losses in the under 18 now the 20's. The team is stacked with alleged talent and still cannot control the game.

Feel for coaches with a line up that cannot deliver, maybe change the line up that will give them some passion.
By the way how does Potter play whilst under a professional contract in an amateur competition is that not a little unfair.

maybe time to cancel the under 20's
why would a division one recruit for this year not hit the court and have no game time, not a great look for her D1 program if she cant get on.....

Bob

Reply #846541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gems Final 15 I'd say, have to cut 3.

5’10 Melbourne/5’8 Deeble/5'9 Valenti paea
5’10 Morgan/5’10 Swain/5’11 Borlase
6’1 Potter/6'2 Price/5’11 Notoa
6’2 Dunn/6'3 Pollerd/6'3 Puoch
6'3 Prior/6’5 Rees/6’3 Evans

Others you’d have?m

Reply #846557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Potter is not a pro or D1 college player

Reply #846558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nsw had 5 Coe girls and 1 other who turned tem down.

Reply #846559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it wont change much from Oceania u17 line ups I don't reckon although they may not choose the USA college girls if they can't do the camp

5'10 Melbourne/5’8 Deeble
6'2 Price/5’10/Morgan/Borlaise or Swain (if available, is she still recovering from ACL?)
6’1 Potter/5’11 Notoa
6'3 Pollerd/6’2 Dunn/6'3 Puoch
6’5 Rees/6'3 Prior

If no college kids then Evans/Fakalata/Brazel

Reply #846567 | Report this post

Bob Bobalina  
Years ago

846558 - Dont argue with Bob I Know she is pro mate look at her twitter you twit

Reply #846570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Semi pro, soon to be pro wnbl.

Reply #846571 | Report this post

Bob Bobalina  
Years ago

hold on so semi pro mean she get half paid correct?

Reply #846573 | Report this post

Bob Bobalina  
Years ago

Look at her twitter

https://twitter.com/gemmapotter17?lang=en

Let me know if you need help

btw is that you Aplha Dog

Reply #846575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Price is not a 2 imo.
Notoa - pass
Pollerd - very inconsistent. 11-12 man

S5
Melbourne
Morgan
Price
Potter
Prior

2nd unit
Deeble
Borlase-Swain if healthy.
Puoch
Dunn-Pollerd
Evans

Reserves
Paea
Brazel
Rees

Reply #846577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl1 does not effect college bob.

Reply #846578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pipe down guys,we've all come to realise that bob’s kids in this age group and clearly disgruntled at a few aus reps who will go to his grave claiming his kid was better.

Reply #846579 | Report this post

Bob Bobalina  
Years ago

Brazel is a Gunn should be at CEO.

Reply #846580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aagh, Bob the Flog is still being a Flog!!

Reply #846581 | Report this post

Bob Bobalina  
Years ago

OMG looks like the idiot clan has followed me from the Big V channel. Welcome back.

Yes it is bob the flog but a correct flog at that....

Alpha is it raining out north

Reply #846582 | Report this post

Bob Bobalina  
Years ago

My point is how does a tea like that lose, BTW Merrigan is an unknown talent.

Reply #846583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rees got all star 5 and has been playing against monsters in the Pac-12.
Notoa got double figures for OK State vs Baylor in the sweet 16 mate. Are you kidding, they have to actually play the USA U19s not U18 domestic nationals.
Kids in the u18 will get eaten alive by the Americans and Europeans

Reply #846584 | Report this post

Bob Bobalina  
Years ago

846578 - which league is more professional Big V or NBL1???

Reply #846585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both sducked at AJC level.

Reply #846586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2019 silver gems u19 in overtime.

Reply #846589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Bob from another channel" What's a channel? The English Channel?

Reply #846591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

589 they had top age kids, thats the point. you are talking about 16 year olds playing against 19 year olds. The silver gems had Heal who just got taken in the WNBA and Shelley and Anstey...the selectors won't pick double bottom kids; maybe Pouch but that is it. they will all get their u17 guernsey at Oceania anyway

Reply #846592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U17
5'6 04 D.Loughridge vic pg
5’7 03 L.Fakalata vic pg
5’8 03 K.Deeble qld pg
5’10 03 S.Swain qld sg
5’11 04 I.Borlase sa g/f
6’0 04 T.Brazel sa g/f
6’2 03 P.Price vic sf
6’2 03 C.Dunn vic cf
6’2 03 A.Goodchild nsw pf
6’2 03 M.Prior nsw pf
6’3 04 N.Puoch vic cf
6’3 03 C.Evans nsw c

Reply #846593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bob the Flog certainly entertains us all with his jocularity... Have you sorted out the issue with that McKinnon kid yet Pigeon?!

Reply #846594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

593 exactly, no double bottom agers. Top age for u19s is 02 age group

Reply #846595 | Report this post

Bob Bobalina  
Years ago

846591 - no not the english channel mate the channel I left with all the idiots that don't know the rules about playing basketball when you are back from college.....

Back to the point Whats going on with Victoria Basketball.

Also i don't have kids that play and never missed out.

My point is that the game today was a surprise that NSW won, however they are a good team. I was very impressed with their body language after the game from NSW, did notice that some Victorian girls by passed some NSW girls when shaking their hands???

Last 10 shots of the game only saw two players hands Potter and Melbourne when others where open.... might need to make that team speech before you play NSW next time.

Reply #846596 | Report this post

Bob Bobalina  
Years ago

846594 - yes I have sorted that out thank for asking. clean up the coupe on that one thats for sure.

Been clothes shopping lately?

Reply #846597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the end result then Bob, she’s obviously playing for the Cougars all season.

Reply #846599 | Report this post

Bob Bobalina  
Years ago

846599- yes she is correct but she has been tagged by the NCAA and will be saNctioned, need to know anything else.

Who says she playing all season do you have a crystal ball?

are the stats correct i would be worried if I was UCLA with that amount of time and lack of making a statement.

Anyway this is about the under 20's. not someone who should not be playing when they are at college.

It will all come out don't worry , if you do the right thing then it will be fine but the NCAA are watching all leagues in Australia thats for sure.

Reply #846603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't go to college, wtf r u sayin

Reply #846605 | Report this post

Bob Bobalina  
Years ago

846605 - You are way behind so don't worry, ask Aplha he knows all about it, I owned him like a pigeon controller on the last channel discussion.

BTW - she is at college online remote learning as UCLA is not hybrid or face to face.

WTF are you talking about get up with the program

Reply #846607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did she not de commit?

Reply #846608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bob semi pro means some players get paid but most don't. Talk about a halfwit

Reply #846616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#846616 um mate, i think Bob was being a greek parachutist

Reply #846714 | Report this post

Bob Bobalina  
Years ago

#846616 - well let me say this you're use of the english language really makes me feel you are not coping with the accuracy of my intelligence.

Does matter if it is semi , full they cannot play in either. so, does
that make you the full-wit????? as opposed to a half-wit.

Its like i expected this group to be at least smarter than the other group on the Big V Stats discussion but am i wrong???

Looking at he overall Stats at the Under 20 Nationals, a lot of girls struggling who have committed to Division one and two.

Also watched the game today much better effort from the Vic blue team today. coached really well, actually both teams were and they we very professional and respectful to each other after the game..A good spread of time and the ball also.

Reply #846769 | Report this post

Bob Bobalina  
Years ago

whats going peeps you all gone soft on me tonight, too much to handle slashing it out with Bob the flog Pidgeon, the visionary and Guru of who is who in the zoo.

Ask me a question about basketball and I will not only give you the answer I will give you the solution.

Some one must have listened to me from last night look at the change in the VIC team today????

Ask Bob

Reply #846838 | Report this post

Bob Bobalina  
Years ago

Bad luck QLD today had the game, maybe shouldn't have taken Deebles off Melbourne in the last to let her free and cause havoc, slightly mistake there.

Tom Garlepp can coach and understands scouting I am calling NSW to win by 11.

Reply #846986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic v nsw girls gf
Global vs vic or qld boys gf

Reply #846988 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Gold medal decided tonight and won by QLD

Reply #847008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deeper team for sure

Reply #847010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's happening to the VICS?

Reply #847016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U20s isn't the best of the best, it’s the best available.

Reply #847018 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

So what is happening to Vic basketball?

Is this just the result of other states having some elite talent in specific team/age group and a blip on the radar? Vic to return to dominance and win next 7 or 8 championships in a row...

Or are we seeing a real shift in power?

Without going back and doing the research, I think there are at least 6 or so gold medals over last few years that Vic has missed.

At the u18 just a couple months ago, Vic was mid pack.

Is there a correlation to how the high performance programs are being run, the coaches in charge?

Did not having VJBL for the year and the much higher number of rep games compared to other states really hurt?

I would imagine that BV would be really doing a post mortem and trying to figure it out. (having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if BV bury their head in sand and blame results on something else.)

Combining the on court results of Vic state teams and the shambles of how they are running NBL1 and BigV does not look at all good for BV.

Reply #847076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just would seem to be the peaks and troughs of talent, nothing to to overreact to. One state will not dominate indefinitely; I suspect it will revert to the mean over the medium/long term. Victoria simply has terrific talent and infrastructure.

Reply #847080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also note the lack of Vic metro men recently in the COE program. Hardly any, when weigh up the amount of players they have and their overall success at national champs, it's not a great reflection .

Probably starting to see the outcome of what happens when everyone gets to play rep now in Vic.
If you keep adding water to cordial eventually you get back to water...

Reply #847082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BV is filled with self important morons who couldn't give a stuff about the kids or there development just making money from the bloated VJBL competition, that is what is happening to Vic basketball.

Reply #847088 | Report this post

KING  
Years ago

VIC just was not better than QLD. Very simple. They did not play with the same defensive intensity and made so many poor reads in the first half. They have the best player, however, that does not mean much when QLD plays so well as a team.

In the girls, the two best teams made the final, with the most COE players. Normally the correlation between winning the u20 and not is who has the most COE players. Look at the teams that have won/ made grand final all had the most.

Reply #847090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing to see here and the balance of power will be restored.
Victoria had no basketball for nearly a year...that's like fighting Muhammad Ali with both his hands broken.
The other states have capitalised but Victoria will be back, bigger and badder than ever, be sure of that.

Reply #847095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is hilarious. This Vic boys age group was hardly dominant at 18s, and they're missing, oh, I don't know, Josh Giddey? Plus Tsapatolis, Adebayo and Windhager. Then oh by the way they didn't play basketball last year and how could you possibly be surprised that they haven't demolished everything in their path? I know the Vics don't usually do anything to endear themselves to the rest of the country, but seriously.

Reply #847104 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

If it was just this tournament in question then ok. But the recent u18 champs neither Vic boys or girls won gold. 2 of the last 3 have not been Vic in the boys.

Reply #847143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the 20 Girls just lost to NSW in the Gold Medal game. Time to panic for the navy blue brigade

Reply #847149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Potter didn't play most of the game due to an injury early in the game. Calm your farm troll

Reply #847150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not to mention te plaersgathae already left abroad. Nsw the only team with full roster

Reply #847151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Victorian State Basketball - Making hilariously poor excuses for their underachieving results rather than giving credit where credit is due, since 2015. The rest of the country is fast catching up there Big V, and don't we all just love celebrating whenever you don't win another gold medal you feel you deserve

Reply #847154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#143, we all know the Vics didn't win 18s this year. Again, they effectively played no basketball last year. I'm not saying there are no problems in Victorian basketball, I have nothing to do with it and wouldn't know. But I can't help feeling that everyone on here claiming the end of Vic dominance is either trolling, or really deficient in their understanding of what could reasonably have been expected this year. I'm sure the carrying on will continue at 16s, despite the fact that a non-Vic club winning u14 Nationals almost always spells trouble for the Vics two years later.

If we see these results again next year, then I would worry. Unless that happens, I'm inclined to view this year as a blip.

Reply #847155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who from nsw is at college? 02/03.

Reply #847156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic no paea, price or evans
Qld no notoa

Reply #847157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#154 and what a petty human you are

Reply #847159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic will see there is an issue and make changes where nessasary but I think a lot of coaches will get another go. Vic did not play any basketball for 9 months. Domestic included. Many didn't train for much less and when they did it had to be outdoors. Curious to know how long each of the other states did not play.

The vic basketball culture has always been to outwork their opponents. Not always the most talented. Girls are more talented than the guys when it comes to National level. I think the reason stems that the more athletic guys are switching to football(Aussie Rules) earlier. When you compare other states, NSW and QLD, aren't competing for the same body type of players being Rugby states, Vic Boys for the most part live and breath Aussie Rules.

Reply #847162 | Report this post

Bob Bobalina  
Years ago

Bob here, wow what a day, I can hear the walls shaking down in Victoria land, to say its ok is not a good statement.

Under 18 bad results
under 20 bad results - lets be honest QLD should have won.

847155- if the under 18 cant win then next year is looking bad again for VIC
Maybe it time to re re evaluate your NITP NPP,ABC Blah blah program.
stop making for the few and make it for the many, stop channeling into only so many and broaden the catchment and then work on a bigger pool.

Some kids develop more with confidence rather than being told they are not elite enough.

The gap has shortened and will get shorter if you done broaden the development pool. Bob, believes there should be two teams from each state in under 16 and 18 and 20 makes it a broader catchment for all states, especially Victoria and even more that women's football in VIC takes kids away from basketball.

Open your eyes Vic basketball and expand the catchments.

BTW - 847150 - Are you saying potter is the team and because she got injured then they automatically lose, look at the stats and the court time of others....... maybe if you believed in who you picked to play and play them as they are there for a reason, rather than just sitting on the bench.
Potter injury did not spell the end they were beaten before the game even started, NSW out out coached out scouted and out played to finish them off.

BOB

Reply #847215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would say the problem is Vic have had too many in their programs and it has stretched the good resources and coaches. A few years ago they had over 150 Spp athletes at one camp. It was horrendous.

Reply #847216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne
Paea - college
Price - college
Dunn
Evans - college

Deeble
Swain - injured
Bowyer
Wooley
Notoa - college

Henderson
Morgan
Macdonald
Prior
Evans

No injuries..., none in College.

Sa I believe also had 2 or 3 out

Reply #847217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

S5
Melbourne
Paea - college
Price - college
Potter
Dunn

Reply #847218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Van der maas would be the only nsw missing.
Sa missing quite a few to college. The

Reply #847219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No doubt Vics were outcoached. The two losses they had resulted in really bad decisions with the last 10-15 shots of both games being taken by mainly 2 players. First loss Melbourne and Potter had last 11 shots for zero points and yesterday Melbourne and Dunn did the same thing. Don't tell me its because Potter got injured. If she wasn't injured the under rated Fakalata wouldn't have got 18 or so and Potter averages 15-16, end result NSW outcoached and outplayed and most of all out teamed Vic. Exactly what SA did to them in the u18 final. Until Vic demand that the egos of the point guards play as a team it will keep happening to Vic.

Reply #847262 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:18 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754