Free tickets
Years ago

36ers owner offering free tickets amid political career speculation

Lucky Liberal members are being offered free basketball tickets to watch the Adelaide 36ers, thanks to the team's owner and much-speculated Mayo candidate, Grant Kelley.

In an email to Liberal members, supplied to Off the Record, Mayo federal electorate committee (FEC) president Rowan Mumford tells them a free ticket for them and a friend to the May 4 home game (against the Cairns Taipans) is being supplied thanks to "our good friends at the Adelaide 36ers".

“Grant Kelley, owner of the 36ers organisation, is a strong supporter of the Liberal Party in South Australiaand the Mayo FEC,” Mumford writes.

Kelley, whose public campaign for the Adelaide Crows board was thwarted last year, early last year was rumoured to be positioning as the Liberal candidate for Mayo, to take on incumbent Rebekha Sharkie at a federal election now expected early next year.

Kelley, who declined to comment on any Mayo preselection intentions, is chief executive officer of national shopping centre giant Vicinity Centres.

His family company, Holdfast Assets, has property holdings in Mayo, including two vineyards on the Fleurieu Peninsula.

Long-term Liberal fundraising director Maurice Henderson last September became managing director of Holdfast Assets.

Henderson retains strong Liberal connections - it is understood the ticket offer has been received by party members in electorates other than Mayo.

Asked whether the gift of basketball tickets was appropriate for a potential preselection candidate, Liberal state director Sascha Meldrum said “whether Mr Kelley intends to nominate is a question for him”.

Topic #48436 | Report this topic

Bolt  
Years ago

Funny, he doesn't look like a Liberal...

Reply #846100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did his own PR about being chairman for the Crows, now this

Reply #846104 | Report this post

KING  
Years ago

he is not a candidate and they have not started the preselection process. I imagine this "wine and dine" deal is fairly common in this stage of the election process, the nature of the process is not strictly like an election, but more personal considering the number of members deciding a seat. In major safe seats you will see incredible lengths that unions, businesses and individuals go to to get their candidate elected for the party and thus the election.

Reply #846115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His winery would be struggling, China has stopped importing Australian wines which is 90% of the countries.

Reply #846116 | Report this post

Love the 36ers  
Years ago

I think it is great that the 36ers are building their membership through different networks. Over this season there has been the kid that needed a new leg and the stuff through Mix with Soda. The ticket give away to the Charity groups. It would be nice to have some liberal money supporting our team and filling the arena.

Reply #846124 | Report this post

Love the 36ers  
Years ago

Just a but on the first post you forgot the other half of the article.
Where Mr Kelley is arguing for a brand new entertainment center which would be great.

Please note that nominations for preselection for Mayo are not yet open. Any tickets will be recorded by the party as a gift in kind as part of our normal funding and disclosure processes that apply to all political parties," she said.

The email is somewhat of a slam dunk for Opposition Leader Peter Malinauskas, who has repeatedly branded the State Government's proposed $700m multipurpose city arena - mostly focused on lucrative convention revenue – as a "$700m basketball stadium”.

In a statement to Off the Record, Kelley rejected that proposition, saying: “Every major Australian capital city has multipurpose indoor arenas close to their city centres. In the cases of Melbourne and Perth, these have been built in the last ten to 15 years.

“Basketball occupies these for no more than 20 events per year – leaving 345 days, or 95 per cent, for other events.

“The Adelaide Entertainment Centre (the 36ers home court) dates from the early 1990s. This is not a political issue, it is an issue of competitiveness for South Australia.”

Reply #846126 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Nice to have some Liberal money? Well, if there's one thing they’re top shelf at, it’s giving away public money to 'mates’. It won’t be a single dollar of their own money, that’s not how they function.

Reply #846130 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

@Bolt
Are you seriously implying that Labor doesn't giveaway taxpayer money to their mates?
They're both the same. Looking after their own interests only with other peoples money.

Reply #846133 | Report this post

Love the 36ers  
Years ago

Dear Bolt You do understand it is individuals that attend the games. I don't care what their political bent is as long as they turn up and support. the 36ers is our South Australian team for all South Australians.

Reply #846142 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Never said Labor don't do the same. Pretty sure the NSW ICAC is the most loathed organisation in the NSW for them.

Reply #846146 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Would simply love to see politics kept out of sport in this kind of manner. It's bad enough that someone like LaTrobe have an association with the league.

Reply #846147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@bolt, you are right mate, liberal/national give away 100 times more to their mates than labour. It's their DNA. 80 million for water straight into caymans island account, we still haven’t got the water. Farmers well and truely ripped off.

Reply #846149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bolt that's impossible. Politics is part of everything in the world that involves major infrastructure and significant money. Sport in particular requires public funding to survive.

I'm much more bothered by the lies of the Labor party to claim the multi purpose venue designed for attracting major events to Adelaide is a basketball stadium as a negative. What does that say about the party that blew up the sport 20 years ago over 10m while throwing 10 times that at cricket and port.

Reply #846151 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Concur, you won't find me defending Labor anytime soon. Both have a history of blatant corruption and negligence at every level.

Reply #846170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel this thread is 14 posts too long. Who cares.

Reply #846203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Removed. Potentially defamatory.)

Reply #846212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone who thinks any owner of any NBL club has money going INTO their pockets is clearly not the brightest.

Best do some digging and learn some facts - all the league owners are putting money into the clubs to support them.

Reply #846215 | Report this post

Love the 36ers  
Years ago

Dear Anonymous
You sort of loose credibility when you post such un truths.
Mr Kelly bought the club to save it and has spent millions of his own money to keep it alive. This season he has probably lost more than two million dollars because of the covid and attendance restrictions.
Because of him we able to watch professional basketball in SA.
It sounds like you would prefer to have nothing.

Reply #846224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh, hey Grant, how are you?

Reply #846226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AS the owner he can offer free ticket to whom ever he likes.

As the preselection process isn't open this isn't really an issue, no different than giving the tickets to an association group etc.

If he doesn't nominate for preselection this is a storm in a tea cup

Reply #846227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Something on hoops? A storm in a teacup???

Who would have thought.

Reply #846228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another PR debacle for the Club. How they create these issues, which seem to then fuel themselves through the club spin I'd beyond belief

Reply #846229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And what spin has the club put on this exactly?

Reply #846230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weird isn't it. In all the NBL games I have ever been to I have never once paid for a ticket. All clubs give away tickets. Why is this any different?
Are his policies as bad as his club?

Reply #846231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can I please have some free tickets and Kelly, I mean mr I love the 36ers?

Reply #846236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do we actually get these free tickets? Was thinking about taking kids and don't want to pay if don’t need to.

Reply #846237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you want free tickets there is around 9,000 of them available for each and every NBL game in Melbourne

Reply #846245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. How are the fat cat owners getting fatter when they give so much away? Doesn't say much for product

Reply #846254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@224 Because of him we have gone from a top 2 team to a bottom 2 team

Apparently the Crows had to ask him to stop embarrassing everyone with his own campaign to be chairman . This is no different IMO

Reply #846255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That Crows campaign was embarrassing for him and anyone left that still says they are proud to be 36ers fans. Maybe the guy needs to hire a OR agent? Messaging associated to him over last while has been an embarrassment

Reply #846265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Because of him we have gone from a top 2 team to a bottom 2 team"
Adelaide hasn't been a top 2 team for years. #Deluded

Reply #846279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The year he took sole control was the 3-2 loss to MU in the Grand Final, suggests that we were a top 2 team

Reply #846289 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

It is beyond me that within a basketball forum that a post of this context is even out. As someone said above, the owners put a lot of there own money into funding and creating a league where u guys will happily enjoy, but then speak rubbish NOT ABOUT BASKETBALL itself. During a season with COVID, I'm sure the owners would need to allocate even more resources. An example is this season, only a couple games ago he provided support to the Australian lion hearing dog charity, but no you are telling a man to not give tickets away in HIS own stadium for HIS own team. I am just a passionate Sixers fan frustrated at always seeing this forum bashing Adelaide and there culture. Why can’t we speak basketball and not have a thread that has nothing to do with basketball. People’s personal insecurities and nasty comments are just sad honestly.

Reply #846292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ 36er and Knicks fans have a lot in common

Reply #846293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"In all the NBL games I have ever been to I have never once paid for a ticket."

Cheapskate

Reply #846294 | Report this post

Keyboard Numpties  
Years ago

There are plenty of people on here in need of a serious reality check.

Cayman Islands? The Crows asked him to stop? Politics in sport? Winery struggling? Want free tickets?

What the hell is wrong with you people? You clearly are not members, dont attend the basketball and keep you tin foil hats well polished.

Grant Kelley pours his heart and soul into this club and if he wasnt there, the Sixers wouldnt exist!

Do us all a favour and put your fertilizer in the garden, Not Here!!!!!

Reply #846307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers will always exist in some form. To claim they wouldn't exist because of one owner is a huge over reach.

Reply #846310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Keyboard Numpties, say hello to your son for me (and get him to send some free tix this way, ta).

Reply #846314 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Remind us again why Mitch Creek left the Sixers?

Reply #846317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoever said Kelley needs a PR person, I think he does have one and he/she is posting on here trying to make his sound like some sort of saint despite state club has deteriorated to now!

Reply #846322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any journalist that writes something negative gets a letter from a lawyer...classy

Reply #846324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""In all the NBL games I have ever been to I have never once paid for a ticket."
Cheapskate. Nah just know the right people. Clearly you don't

Reply #846334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelley give libs free tickets then give members a free night of a preseason.
Highly won't see that coming.

Reply #846339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So just to be clear 'Anon' you are asking people not to add to this topic, by actually adding comments in the topic?

Reply #846340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think "Ive never paid for a ticket to an NBL game" is the brag that you think it is.

Reply #846342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sixtiesrockstar, it's such a weak line to throw out there to say that Labor are just as bad. If so give us one example on the public record of the previous Labor federal government handing out public money to donars and not following due process.

We have the great barrier Reef foundation, overpayment of $27 million to dairy farmer donars for western Sydney airport, and the Foxtel grants for woman's sport, all not following normal, or any standard government tender processes under the current Liberal government. That's just to start with.

Name one thing from the last Labor government even close to that.

Reply #846355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#365 that's just the tip of the iceberg. Sports rorts, plus the list goes on.

Reply #846357 | Report this post

Pluto19  
Years ago

I doubt he will go into politics, probably for the good of the club with an opportunity for investors

Reply #846363 | Report this post

ThirtySixers36  
Years ago

This thread really is disgraceful. Kelley has poured his heart and soul into the club, saving it from a potential dark place when he acquired full ownership back in 2017 when no one else dared to. If anything, him offering free tickets to the libs is a means of keeping the club afloat. The 36ers are privately owned and therefore receive ZERO financial support from governments (unlike the AFL) and in times of covid with restricted crowds a politician with money to invest seems like an opportunity for the club, doesn't it? I imagine Kelley, along with other owners of the league would lose more than 2m per year in this league, though it is clear the longevity and culture of the club seems to be his main interest as along with the injection of money from his own pockets, the club has made leaps and bounds in charity work including kickstart for kids and guide dogs SA along with major corporate sponsors since he first took the helm.
The utter disrespect you clowns have for the man who has saved your supposedly beloved club is sickening. Don't bother to call yourself a fan or even interact with anything related with the club in the future, your comments seem to be on the basis/expectation that the club is in a financial situation like Melbourne or Sydney. Keep writing comments fuelled by toxicity and sourness towards our owner though, i'm interested to see what the next false agenda will entail !

Reply #846364 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That may be so but he hired JvG.

Reply #846366 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Years ago

Good comeback Perthworld you dickhead...

Reply #846367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He paid a huge amount of money to buy out other owners when they would have walked for $1

Reply #846368 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It was an excellent comeback because Kelley's PR manager can go on and on and on about what has been done with the club but at the end of the day it has been managed very poorly on the basketball side of operations due to a fatal appointment, resulting in yet another lacklustre and non-playoff appearance season. I feel for Sixers fans.

Reply #846371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitch creek. Say no more.

Reply #846375 | Report this post

ThirtySixers36  
Years ago

Hi Perthworld,
Jvg is also to thank for most recruitments including Josh Giddey and Kai Sotto who have given enormous exposure to the club. Hell, Kai isn't even in Australia yet and the 36ers instagram page has gained 12k since the announcement. You must recognise that this year is a transitioning from one coach to another, with new personnel (excluding DJ, Teys, Mudronja, Dillon, McVeigh all are new recruits) it takes time to build chemistry and gel a team together and this season has been riddled with injuries. With a budget nothing compared to big teams like Melbourne or Sydney, don't expect Adelaide to go and buy Andrew Bogut tomorrow. Recruitment has been good considering the budget and Jvg has done as much as he can to ensure the 6ers aren't a bottom 2 team during a REBUILD.

Reply #846377 | Report this post

Pau82  
Years ago

Anonymous and Perthworld, you say Mitch Creek but you don't realise the full picture. Mitch Creek was injuncted successfully because his agents tried to breach the contract with the club by involving a German side in the equation as it was cheaper to transfer from Europe to the NBA - Kelley therefore was left with no choice but to put the reputation and financial interests of the club first.

Reply #846378 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Agree with what has been said above. Even more to that point, didn't The bookies and all you "experts" say Adelaide would get the wooden spoon. This is a transition year and with the limited roster spots the Sixers signed Former NBA Isaac hump... Donald Sloan (yes he didn’t work out but still a big signing), Sunday dech who was bound to go to a Big market team and pinder who yes may not be the strongest player but he was sought after from Perth. Oh yeah and Brandon Paul, who is still in his prime. You can speak JVG this JVG that but I think he has proved himself with the current Adelaide situation. The two of the 3 biggest media signings in the league have been JVG (melo, kai, AB).

Reply #846383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, this nothing issue has really escalated into some great fun with fans going head to head with club management, albeit with all involved, including me not brave enough to declare their real names! How long can we keep this rubbishy topic alive for?

Reply #846384 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If u know my real name mate I would shake ur hand. I'm a Sixers fan that sits in the nosebleed area.

Reply #846385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pau82 are you saying Creek played in Germany as a way of dudding the 36ers out of a contract he didn't have?

Reply #846387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woooohoooo, me signed some guy from Asia and our Instagram account went up by 12k. Not sure why we worry about oir crap on court results. The NBL ladder should be based on Instagram numbers. That way we'd win Boti’s team of the round for sure. Go the Insta 6ers!

Reply #846389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JVG has proved himself ? He has produced a bottom 3 team that has been spanked by the 2 teams beneath them on the ladder.

Reply #846390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sloan didn't work out ..... but he was a big signing? God help us if that someone from the Club peddling such a ridiculous line?

Reply #846391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitch Creek tells a very different story to the Club management version above. I'll back Creek every day of the week.

Reply #846392 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If the bad "Adelaide team" had been spanked by the two bottom teams well what's ur opinion on Perth losing to the mighty Adelaide and 2nd to last NZ.... twice.

For the person saying if this is someone from the club, I explained above that I am a Sixers from who sits in the nose bleeds lol. I would say Sloan was a big signing, not many players in the nbl have player YEARS in the nba.

Reply #846393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide pay big money, Humphries, Johnson all on top dollars. Last season they were ranked third in spending behind Perth and Melbourne ahead of Sydney.
Re Creek, most contracts have standard nba out clause wherever you play, Adelaide allowed Creek to leave his contract to play in Germany, they argued that they were entitled to the nba buy out and not the German club as they actually let him leave to go to Germany when he was under contract in Adelaide. They probably had a fair argument.

Reply #846394 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I would back creeky too, the one who has been charged with assaulting a women.

Reply #846395 | Report this post

Pau82  
Years ago

Anonymous, Creek had one year left on his contract as a Sixer with an nba OR Europe buyout clause. Creek chose to activate his European buyout clause for 3 months during the off-season and the club agreed. however signed a 10 day contract with the Brooklyn Nets before playing in Europe and the club, rightfully so weren't going to see a star player leave without any financial compensation (mind you, he was still a contracted 36ers player).

Reply #846396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone should simply ignore the troll = Perthworld.

Reply #846399 | Report this post

Pau83  
Years ago

Mate Perth has lost twice to NZ - shit happens

Reply #846400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth win championship. 36ers win Instagram.

Reply #846402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Based on Sloan being a 'great' signing because he played multiple nba season, maybe jvg should sign Larry bird next season. Not a lot older than the his gun recruits of Sloan and Crocker, and could get some more Instagram followers at the same time!

Reply #846403 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wow, this nothing issue has really escalated into some great fun with fans going head to head with club management

Haha, it clearly is not a nothing issue for the owner and management though with multiple nicks all appearing on the same day! Talk of a tilt at a seat and using the club to help in it has really caught their attention.

Maybe the real supporters on here can turn this to their advantage by asking for said free tickets?

Reply #846404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Mitch creek fiasco was without doubt the blackest moment in our once great clubs history

Reply #846405 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Perth win championship. 36ers win Instagram.

I thought so too but on further inspection:

36ers 37.8K followers
Wildcats 73.5K followers

Reply #846406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dam, might need JVG to recruit a full roster of Philippinos!

Reply #846407 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:23 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754