Years ago

Reply #846453 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Hopefully the buyout is sorted asap.

Reply #846454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They know Mooney is probs gone next season, surfing up the post depth before others start throwing money.

Reply #846455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There will be a figure on it in the contact, probably between 50k to 150k, how much are Perth willing to pay.

Reply #846456 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

I'd be pissed if I was the bullets- can they say no?

Reply #846458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The bullets did him dirty.

Reply #846459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth as always getting it done

Reply #846460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL Cup prize money should get it done

Reply #846461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe the bullets can say no, they might prefer to take the money and run.

Reply #846462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did the Bullets do the dirty on him by allowing him to chase his dream oh Brisbane you heartless pricks.

If i was the Bullets I'd say no you either come back or go back to the US.

Reply #846464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Bullets haven't don't him dirty, but they also shouldn't stand in his way of playing.

Reply #846465 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

I can't see how Brisbane have done him dirty.
I guess if they feel like their season is over, they might as well grab some cash.

Reply #846468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely they can't just pluck a buyout figure from thin air.

Reply #846469 | Report this post

Mobbin  
Years ago

No dirty, standard contract rule pure and simple. Bullets could pay him to play or make money if he plays elsewhere, they likely aren't making finals so it's in their court now.

Reply #846470 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Wow here I was thinking the rumours were just that.

Question though, if you were Brisbane (a genuine playoff contender why would you help the Wildcats?

If you help the Cats you get some money but make it harder for yourself to win.

If you block the transfer Magnay may not play for them anyway or ever again, and they are no worse off than they are now.

Question is if the Bullets block it would Magnay play for them? If yes, the money is not worth it.

Reply #846471 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

If Magnay goes to the Wildcats, who gets let go?

1) White
2) Bairstow.
3) Jervis.
4) Travers

Reply #846472 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

Speaking as a Perth fan, the Bullets should block it. Why the hell would you make an opponent stronger? If he was asking to be released to go play in Europe or anywhere else not Australia, then no problem. Making an opponent stronger is madness.

Reply #846473 | Report this post

Mobbin  
Years ago

Depends on the health and minutes Magnay can play.
Bairstow would be released... if he can start and play solid minutes
Jervis would be released... if he's off the bench, saving for the playoffs and Bairstow continues to start but lower minutes.

Travers is a future talent, White is the only "solid" bench PG and Swaka Lo Buluk is being moulded like Dech so may not want to lose him.

Reply #846474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have the right to stand in his way, he was a contracted Brisbane player, was allowed to leave, normally an nba out clause in most contracts but if nba contract is stopped his original contract takes precedent. If Perth want him and Brisbane are willing to part with him for a fee, alls good. I just can't see how he can get to Perth without a release from Brisbane.

Reply #846475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Magnay is a shot at the boomers he needs to play. I think when you look at how 36ers treated Creek,, behaviour like that is not looked at well by players.

The man has the need to earn an income and play.

Reply #846476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

21/22?

Import
Cotton
Import
Magnay
Mooney

Norton
Local sg
Blanchfield
Wagstaff
Majok

Buluk
Travers

Retire white, jervis, britt
Move Steindl, Bairstow
Dp shervill, Ferguson + dp pg

Reply #846477 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

^ I think you are dreaming.

Magnay is going back to the big show after this.

This is a side gig.

Reply #846478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5) Wani

Reply #846479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No doubt he has a right to play, he can at Brisbane.

Reply #846480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a beat up....there is no way that Brisbane are letting him play for perth

Reply #846481 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If Magnay is a shot at the boomers he needs to play. I think when you look at how 36ers treated Creek,, behaviour like that is not looked at well by players.

That's what really matters in all this. After that disastrous own goal by the Sixers owner in 2018 it's been obvious players/agents within the NBL have been steering clear of the Sixers and going elsewhere, not to mention all the players that have since left the club. The Sixers are still paying for that shocking decision for the most part being forced to recruit players outside the NBL system.

The Bullets obviously have seen all that play out and would be mindful of that in terms of potentially hindering their recruiting over the next few years especially without the Boomers carrot to dangle and Lemanis departing. At the moment the Bullets hold the cards so they'll continue to dig their heels in until the Wildcats make a buyout offer they're happy with and then will just release him and move on.

Reply #846482 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

That's what really matters in all this. After that disastrous own goal by the Sixers owner in 2018 it's been obvious players/agents within the NBL have been steering clear of the Sixers and going elsewhere, not to mention all the players that have since left the club.

I would agree that it was a black mark on the club but haven't they demonstrated that they can still recruit talent?

Humphries
Dech
Giddey

If the club / GK were such a turn off why would Giddey come here if he could have gone anywhere? Illawarra, Cairns, Brisbane would have provided equal playing opportunities and for much more credentialed head coaches.

* I have excluded Pinder from that list at the risk of angering some people but he is 'OK'.

Reply #846484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"the Wildcats make a buyout offer they're happy with"

Surely there is already a stipulated amount in Magnay's contract with the Bullets? They can't just make up numbers that potentially hinder a player's opportunity.

Reply #846485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't matter if they say no he’s done with them going forward they can get some coin now or loose him for nothing in the future. They better off taking the money and saving face because he’s done with that club.

Reply #846486 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If Magnay goes to the Wildcats, who gets let go?

1) White
2) Bairstow.
3) Jervis.
4) Travers
Travers isn't on the roster.

Reply #846487 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Why doesn't he want to go back to Brisbane?
Wonder if Brissy want him?

If you sign a deal you really ought to honour it - if Brisbane want him back he can’t complain at them blocking him from joining the opposition.

If Brisbane don’t want him, then fair play, get some cash and let him go. It wouldn’t be right to not want him but deny him to the opposition.

Reply #846489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So there is an onus is on him to honour his contract, but if Brisbane don't want him then they are entitled to cash? That makes no sense.

Reply #846490 | Report this post

Kb_24  
Years ago

Perth will be champ again if magnay will sign..

Reply #846491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would Brisbane not want him. They are only a few wins out of 3/4 spot playing less games then teams above them.
I really think that's this is what it will come down to.
Brisbane will tell him they want him back therefore won’t sign a release to go elsewhere.

I’m also questioning why his agent would want him to before the olympics? Potential injuries and also if he doesn’t play well after getting out of isolation could hurt his return to the big dance.
Look at what has happened to adel....

Reply #846492 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

Genuine question, could Brisbane actually sign him without going over the cap? Or would they have to cut a significant player to be able to fit him in?

Reply #846494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would he not play for Hawks?

Reply #846497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would say Perth have more money to offer him this season. Have they got a local marquee?

Reply #846498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harvey
Jessup
Simmon
Magnay
Froling

Reply #846499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good list of random names.

Reply #846501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

S5

Reply #846502 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Brisbane Bullets would be stupid to give Will Magnay to Perth! Haven't they won enough already?

If I was Brisbane keep Magnay, because Brisbane are not out of the race. Phoenix are dropping games, Illawarra are inconsistent and Sydney have their own injuries. Anyone’s game. Bullets also have an American import coming out of quarantine soon.

#stopgivingperththechampionships

Reply #846503 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Good signing. Welcome to Perth Two-Way.

Reply #846505 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

An unhappy Magnay at Bullets if he's not at Wildcats, or a an unhappy Bullets if he is.

Now if there is a player or 2 at Wildcats whom the Bullets would want, and who would be willing (?) to go, could there be a trade included?

Cotton would be an even swap and impossible to think of, but think of Blanchfield and/or Steindl (both Qlders, (not that that's important, now-a-days) and money.

Magnay, long-term, I'd fight for, day and night. But if destined to be back in NBA next year, no. Get what I can for him now, with a view to next season. Either and/or both of them (and some money towards a starting import PG) would strengthen Bullets' local contingent and they are both absolute powerhouse scorers off the bench.

Starters would be:
PG: Import
SG: Sobey
SF: BJ Johnson(if retained?)
PF: Patterson
C : H0dgson or Froling

Bullets bench would be:
Cadee, Wigness, Drmic, Steindl, Blanchfield, Harrison + Froling or Hodgson and Robateau. Krebs, Jones, and Dalton probably gone.

For the Wildcats, Mangnay is a tremendous boost for their ultimate goal. For the Bullets, it would be a fairy tale come true. Even if good enough, the other genuine contenders are too settled to lose a series against a flyer, which is what Brisb would be in that case.

But, with no Magnay, anyway, and with Steindl/Blanchfield in for next year and money in the till, could be a win/win?

Brisbane beats Perth in NBL 2022 GF series as a result!

Reply #846506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I was Brisbane keep Magnay, because Brisbane are not out of the race

It's pretty clear Magnay wants to play elsewhere so why would they keep him?

Reply #846507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I get sick of Perth taking advantage of their members. No wonder they keep winning, money and greed!

By far Perth have the most expensive memberships in the NBL. They have no concession options for students and members with a disability. They need to support all supporters not just rich people who can go.

This why the NBL made a massive mistake bringing in another Melbourne team. Phoenix barely get 4,000 spectators to their games. If the NBL considered another Perth team then the members who can't afford Wildcats games could go and see the new team with affordable prices.

Reply #846508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"They need to support all supporters not just rich people who can go"

No they don't.

Reply #846510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clint and Todd are terrible options for Brisbane. Clint is the worse defender in the league by coach Connor Henry. :8

Reply #846512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bad Santa reporting tonight that "things have soured with Brisbane."

Wow, what a surprise, Brisbane taking negotiations 101 from Adelaide.

Heartening that they're pissing off a local Brissy boy, probably to the extent he won't consider playing for them in the future.

Reply #846513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There will be an amount in the contract, pay it or he plays in Brisbane if Brisbane wish to release him. Hopefully the nbl make sure contracts are followed and honoured, agents should not be able to manipulate players and clubs.

Reply #846515 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

A few things to remember, this was all rumours but now has been reported in multiple locations so this is far from rumour now.

Perth are basically guaranteed finals, Brisbane need to nearly win out, He is putting off surgery so Perth can basically manage his minutes, Brisbane would need to drive the wheels off him just to make finals.

His wages would be high and they already have Sobey as their marquee (im pretty sure) so would have to pay all of it as well as cut a player. Perth can use their open marquee spot and move Jervis out which, from all accounts, was the plan for when Bryce got citizenship.

I think Brisbane need to cash out or they are paying a high price to potentially miss finals.

Reply #846519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Magnay wouldn't be quarantining in Australia if something hadn't already be worked out.

Reports would seem to indicate Magnay is most likely signed to Perth. Brisbane is therefore likely to receive a set figure out if it due to Magnay's agreed contractual clause (which they wouldn't have got otherwise).

The interesting subplot in this story is what effect Magnay's presence will have on Mooney, who has been outstanding at the 5. Mooney was of course signed to play the 4 spot so the result will be intriguing.

Can't help but consider Magnay's rim protection, on paper at least, looks like a significant upgrade for Perth and it must be considered his time in the NBA (and G-league) will have helped develop his skills.

Reply #846521 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Disgrace players can't stay in their contracts. I agree.

Perth won’t make it past in the semis hopefully. They have been inconsistent. Bryce Cotton is wearing out.

Melbourne United have been better in the regular season. Tomorrow’s game will be interesting to see how the Wildcats react. Can’t wait, I’ll be attending.

Reply #846522 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

If he has a contract that has a buyout figure then there's no disgrace going on.

Reply #846528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you play 10 out of 11 games in Victoria and against teams missing players yea 11 games winning streak doesn't reflect shit.

Perth get Magnay then it’s even unless the finals are played in Melbourne?

Reply #846532 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" So there is an onus is on him to honour his contract, but if Brisbane don't want him then they are entitled to cash? That makes no sense."

What part doesn't make sense?

Is it the part about how contracts work?

Reply #846537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no trades in nbl. Part of perths cost is the usual cost of things in Perth, esp stadiums etc. He won't play at Brisbane again, so cash out. As others have said the club wouldn't want to ruin there reputation aka Adelaide. In terms of Perth or United, hopefully he sees Landale as a threat to his boomers spot and elects to towel him up on another team not join him.

Reply #846538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of people missing the whole point Brisbane have to agree to the buyout for it to happen....kind of a decent hurdle for perth I would say.

Reply #846543 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If Brisbane want him to play in Brisbane and he says "nah I want to play for Perth" it may go sour but that's the player pulling a kawhi and being unreasonable.

If Brisbane can’t fit him, then they should do the right thing and cash out instead of denying him an opportunity- even if it makes Perth better.

No reason for it to be sour if everyone is reasonable.

Reply #846545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magnay is not towelling up lansdale hahaha LOL
Lansdale is a much more complete player and would be picked in the boomers behind him

Reply #846547 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Landale

Reply #846550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lonsdale

Reply #846551 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"Landale as a threat to his boomers spot"

That was an incorrectly framed sentence.

Landale is a lock for Boomers team, Magnay is not.

Let's be clear here, Landale is ahead in the pecking order.

Reply #846552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What part doesn't make sense?

Is it the part about how contracts work?"

The part where you expected Magnay to honour his contract because that's what he'd signed up for, but then suggesting if Brisbane don't want him then they're still entitled to get paid out. I've never signed a contract that has such a one-sided flavour to it.

Reply #846555 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" if Brisbane don't want him then they're still entitled to get paid out."

Because they are entitled to if he wants to play for another NBL side, that's how the contract works when they let him leave to pursue the NBA.

“ I've never signed a contract that has such a one-sided flavour to it.”

He signed a multi year deal which the Bullets let him not play for them part way through to pursue the NBA - what part of that is one sided?

I entirely believe that you haven’t signed an NBL contract though.

You’re really struggling to understand stockstandard contractual terms which most players would have in that scenario, at least those that are expected to receive NBA opportunities.

Reply #846565 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Bullets will take the buyout money - it's either that or have to deal with a disgruntled player on their squad. Looking forward to our latest addition hitting the court ASAP.

Reply #846568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't the Magnay/Brisbane relationship sour a while ago when they dragged their feet in releasing him to go to the NBA?

Reply #846569 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Correct:

"But the deal was almost scuppered by the Bullets, who delayed his release for four days and didn't sign until the final hours before a Thanksgiving deadline."

The Red Army would like to thank the Bullets for being pricks.

Reply #846572 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Just watched Overtime and Santa has me worried that Melbourne will swoop in.

Reply #846590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes landale is ahead of him in the boomers, so isn't the best way to push your case for the boomers by outplaying the guy ahead of you? If he was to "towel" landale up then it would further his case, if he plays next to landale does it help his boomers cause. Yes Landale is a better player, towel up was an expression

Reply #846598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane don't have to release him, he can just sit on the bench if he’s pissed off. Perth should just pay the coin and move on. I hope Brisbane listens to all offers if he doesn’t want to stay.

Reply #846601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magney is probably the best Offensive big man in the NBL and you pair him with Mooney it certainly helps Perth's chances.

Reply #846602 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Magnay doesn't want to be at Brisbane.

Reply #846612 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

His wages would be high and they already have Sobey as their marquee (im pretty sure)
There are two marquee spots this year.

Perth can use their open marquee spot
If Perth have no marquee players, they're either horribly underpaying their players or they're incompetent. There's no way nobody on that team is earning more than 100k.

Reply #846615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking at the schedule, unless Magnay can play for United this Saturday he can't play 9 games for them and quality for playoffs.

MU have their 28th game on Saturday, 8 left after that. Perth play their 27th game on Sunday, 9 left after that.

Based on that, with Magnay 9 days into quarantine and not getting out till Sunday, MU can't take him into the playoffs, but Perth can.

Interesting.

Reply #846624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magnay posted he had done 8/14 days of Sydney hotel quarantine on his IG story on Saturday. He should be out by Friday or Saturday at the latest I'd say.

Reply #846630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#602 the best offensive??

Reply #846631 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Blanchfield
Steindle
Jervis
Wani
Travers
White
Bairstow
Wagstaff
Which of those would be signed as a marquee? Maybe Blanchfield and that's it.

Where as Brisbane with Sobey, Hodgeson, cadee, Froling and Drimic could easily be paying 2 as marquee players.

Reply #846633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" cadee, Froling and Drimic could easily be paying 2 as marquee players."

LOL!

Reply #846634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even Hodgson, lol, Cadee, Froling and Drimic lmao, loudly.

Reply #846635 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Blanchfield, Norton, Steindl and Wagstaff would all potentially be in the marquee range I would imagine.

Reply #846637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blanchfield perhaps, not the others. Perth aren't stupid, they will have money and spot available.

Reply #846640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got to love how arrogant Perth fans are but not a real surprise with the wank of a coach they have.

Magnay disgruntled seriously how old is he they gave him a chance to go to the NBA he did sfa in the G league and now comes scurrying back to Australia.

The Bullets out of principle should say no and make him for - fill his contractual commitment but they won't as they are piss weak.

The other two way player the Pelicans had Naji Marshall is playing solid minutes goes to show Magnay isn't that great.

Reply #846641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Angry much?

Reply #846642 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Norton on a multi year deal from last year when we had Kay and Martin so wouldn't be on marquee deal. Blanchfield maybe but he didn't come over as a huge signing.

I remember the talk of Froling leaving Adelaide for big money and Hodgeson a quality Aussie big so either could be Brisbane's second marquee. And the way Lemanis throws Cadee into every Boomers squad I wouldn't be surprised if they overpay him.

Reply #846663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#641 dominated this league before he left

Reply #846671 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Based on that, with Magnay 9 days into quarantine and not getting out till Sunday, MU can't take him into the playoffs, but Perth can.]

Where are all the anons who always claim everything from the fixture to the colour of the seating in stadiums is rigged in United's favour?

Seriously though, it should be based on weeks til playoffs.

Reply #846672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ok LV

Reply #846674 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

25% rule.

Reply #846680 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Norton on a multi year deal from last year when we had Kay and Martin so wouldn't be on marquee deal.
That's not how marquee status works. It's not written into the player's contract, because it doesn't affect them at all. You just nominate one or more players as marquees with the NBL. You can change this at any time, even mid season.

Seriously though, it should be based on weeks til playoffs.
Why should it?

Reply #846682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Where are all the anons who always claim everything from the fixture to the colour of the seating in stadiums is rigged in United's favour?"

I am certain that if the league knew Magnay was going to be available at this point in the season they would have back-ended United's games to allow him to qualify.

What do you think about United only leaving Melbourne once in the past three months?

Reply #846686 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Cheers KR , didn't know that, thought it was in their contract. Still don't believe Blanchfield or Norton would be marquee guys.

Reply #846688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a great question #686.

LV, "What do you think about United only leaving Melbourne once in the past three months?"

Reply #846692 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[I am certain that if the league knew Magnay was going to be available at this point in the season they would have back-ended United's games to allow him to qualify.]

LOL

BAHAHA

Reply #846693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magney will sign with Perth by Friday as I stated earlier in the other thread. The Bullets and Magney will get a resolution done.

Another note Perth are hopeful Nick Kay is homesick and will strongly consider returning to Perth. For Kay it's a tough choice .

Reply #846694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless Kay is in Australia quarantining already, he won't be able to qualify for playoffs anyway.

Reply #846696 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

It may all be for nothing, with NSW fresh community case he may not be allowed into WA.

Reply #846697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was being facetious LV. But answer the other question about Melbourne's lack of travel. You ok with that?

Reply #846698 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Sooky lala

Reply #846701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I said Kay is considering returning for next season. It's a long shot for Perth but Kay has indicated he is considering a return. Perth is the only team he would return and play for.

Reply #846702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay will be one of the marquee's at Tasmania. Perth can’t afford him and Cotton. I would not be surprised if his mate Norton followed him there. Of course the euro clubs could offer more for Kay, in saying all that his stats are down this season though his team have had a much better year than normal. They have avoided the spoon quite comfortably, which is not normally the case.

Reply #846705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth can easily afford kay and Cotton next season

Reply #846708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sooky lala"

???

Reply #846709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay intends to play another season in Europe

Reply #846711 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[I was being facetious LV. But answer the other question about Melbourne's lack of travel. You ok with that?]

I'm OK with the NBL Cup idea, and it made sense to have the first one in Melbourne. Although as I've said on here, my suggestion is next year host a dual city event with two hosts.

The biggest issue is over saturation- they used the cup to extend the season. 36 games is too many.

Reply #846715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay to Tasmania is not true. He will most likely stay in Europe but the only team he will consider a long shot return is Perth

Reply #846717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And hand United the easiest draw in NBL history

Reply #846724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He still hasn't addressed the fact that United has left Victoria once in the past 3 months

Reply #846729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is true. Tasmania are opening the cheque books for him, and yes Europe is still a chance.

Reply #846731 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

The fact that United are after Magnay makes me dislike them even more if that is even possible.

They don't even need Magnay, they are winning with their current line up.

They wouldn't even be able to give Magnay minutes commensurate with his skill set.

They are really only after Magnay to prevent Perth from getting him.

Reply #846733 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[He still hasn't addressed the fact that United has left Victoria once in the past 3 months]

4 times you mean?

Feb 5 Brisbane (3 months ago today)
Feb 10 Wollongong
Mar 19 Sydney
April 4 Cairns

Theyre also going out of Victoria 5 more times in the next month, including 2 trips to Perth.

Reply #846740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They've left Victoria once in three months.

Reply #846742 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

LOL

I'm 8 foot tall, and playing my debut NBL game for Perth tonight. Mooney's been relegated to 6th man.

Just cos I said it, doesn't make it true.

Reply #846746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you really this stupid LV? Since coming back from Wollongongin early Feb, they have only played outside of Victoria once.

Why are you deflecting from the obvious point here?

Reply #846751 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Even if you're ignoring the 5th and 10th of Feb as close enough to 3 months ago, it's still twice.

Reply #846752 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What's the accusation here? That United won’t play away games away once it’s all said and done?

My understanding is they are with exception of NZ whose home was Victoria during that period.

Is that incorrect?

Reply #846753 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

That's what I'd like to know too.

Will United play 14 away games (excluding NBL Cup bubble games as a consideration) by season's end?

Reply #846754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Even if you're ignoring the 5th and 10th of Feb as close enough to 3 months ago, it's still twice."

What other game apart from the Sydney clash wasn't played in Victoria?

Reply #846755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lovebroker, you'd expect them to play 12 games outside of Victoria in a normal season (14 away minus two for SEM games) but this season they only play 10.

Reply #846756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"My understanding is they are with exception of NZ whose home was Victoria during that period."

NZ switched their homebase to Tassie at the start or April for six home games. I would have made logistical sense for Melbourne to be at least one of those games in Tassie but nope, the Breakers had to return to Melbourne to play them there twice.

Reply #846757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*It would

Reply #846758 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

So they played NZ in Vic when it was NZs temp home ground - get over it.

Perth pissant complainers are worse than Adelaides

Reply #846761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you a mod here KET?

Reply #846764 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

All eyes on Supreme Leader McGowan now. If he restricts NSW travelers, its all over

Reply #846901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not necessarily.

Reply #846903 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Perth can move to Melbourne as it's new home ground....

Reply #846904 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Magnay having been in quarantine the entire time may affect things, but who knows.

Reply #846905 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #846908 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Bullets statement:

The Brisbane Bullets can offer the following statement in relation to Will Magnay:
"The club can confirm that it has today released Will Magnay from his Standard Player Contract with the club.
“Will has chosen to return to Australia after his stint in the US and we expressed our desire for him to return to the Bullets' but he has indicated that he wished to pursue his career with another team.
“While we are disappointed that he will not return to Brisbane, we are also not going to stand in the way of him playing basketball and wish him well."

https://www.brisbanebullets.com.au/news/club-statement-re-will-magnay

Reply #846909 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Inb4 "Perth are cheaters"

Reply #846911 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Who of note do we not have from last year?

Putting aside retirements and Cam Oliver heading back.

Kay & Newbill?

NBL is as talented as ever, bloody love it.

Reply #846912 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

"The Australian Boomers Olympic Squad member joins the Perth Wildcats as a Nominated Replacement Player which, including development players, takes the squad to 15 active players."

Does this mean no one gets cut?

Reply #846913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The Australian Boomers Olympic Squad member joins the Perth Wildcats as a Nominated Replacement Player..."

What does this mean?

Reply #846914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin is no where as good as Tate was, now there is loss.

Reply #846915 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yup - agreed Tate is on the list

Reply #846916 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Didn't Melbourne have a nominated replacement player basically full time a year or two back?

It means Magnay isn't actually on the roster until someone gets injured. I'd be very careful if I was Tom Jervis...

Reply #846917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

majok majok is out injured....just saying

Reply #846918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quarantine in Sydney is no certainty he doesn't catch covid in there, now that would be a great laugh, have Perth blocked flights from Sydney yet as Sydney are back under restrictions due to an out break.

Reply #846919 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Put down the baseball bat

Reply #846920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh yeah, forgot about Majok.

Do teams have 10 or 11 rostered players this season?

Reply #846923 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

majok majok is out injured....just saying
Replaced by Jervis.

Or did you think the Wildcats have been playing with a roster spot free for literally the entire season?

Reply #846924 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Ten. Including Magnay and Majok, Wildcats have twelve.

Reply #846925 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Quarantine in Sydney is no certainty he doesn't catch covid in there, now that would be a great laugh, have Perth blocked flights from Sydney yet as Sydney are back under restrictions due to an out break.

No travel restrictions from Sydney yet that I am aware of - which is slightly surprising for McGowan. He's usually pretty quick on the trigger.
Note also that some previous travel restrictions have been applied retrospectively, so even if Magnay makes it to Perth it doesn't necessarily mean that WA won't still force him back into quarantine over here.

Does he have to be in the arena to qualify as playing a game or can he just suit up in his hotel room and put his name on the boxscore? :p

Reply #846926 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Putting aside retirements and Cam Oliver heading back.

Kay & Newbill?

We almost lost Matt Hodgson to the Opt Out, but thankfully for Australian Basketball, the NBL and the Bullets he came back despite his myriad of contracts offered internationally.

If you add Newbill to the list then we would also have to add a whole bunch of good imports that did not / could not return.

Tate
Trimble
Long
White

Honourable mentions
Griffin
Moore
Hobson
Preston

Reply #846927 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Members email just came through confirming the signing.

Reply #846928 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I'd be dropping Bairstow, still need Jervis for a minutes to rack up the fouls in the C spot.

Reply #846930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Note also that some previous travel restrictions have been applied retrospectively, so even if Magnay makes it to Perth it doesn't necessarily mean that WA won't still force him back into quarantine over here"

You would hope that the fact he's already in quarantine would allow some sort of safeguard that he wouldn't have been exposed to the Sydney outbreak. Put him in a hazmat suit, wrap him in bubble wrap, coat him in Sanitizer and fly him on a private jet just to be on the safe side.

Reply #846932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only Jordan should wear 23. No other basketballer should ever wear it out of respect

Reply #846933 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Technically Bairstow was signed as an injury replacement for Majok.
Jervis was a very last minute addition when it became clear Perth would not be getting an import .

Jervis for me becomes the odd man out.
As for backup centre Perth would get by when Magnay rests slide Mooney to the 5 spot

Reply #846934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're so wrong KR. The wildcats have been playing with 9 rostered players this year, plus Majok makes 10.

Reply #846936 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

I didn't realise Shervill has #25.
#23 a good choice.

Reply #846937 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Where are all the posters now who were desperately clinging onto their hope that Bullets would block the move.

Reply #846939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow has been very serviceable, doesn't score a lot but the rest of his game been good. I bet the hawks wish they got the same production out of their Bairstow.

Reply #846940 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You're so wrong KR. The wildcats have been playing with 9 rostered players this year, plus Majok makes 10.
1. Bairstow
2. White
3. Norton
4. Swaka Lo Buluk
5. Cotton
6. Blanchfield
7. Jervis
8. Wagstaff
9. Mooney
10. Steindl
11. Majok

Learn to count.

Reply #846941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You're so wrong KR. The wildcats have been playing with 9 rostered players this year, plus Majok makes 10."

Including Majok, who are the 10?

https://www.wildcats.com.au/players

Reply #846942 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Koberulz can count.
The article states Magnay signing brings total player group to 15 including development players.
Majok is not part of the 15.

How does the the injury nomination work?
Is one player on the outer or can it be different players in any given game?

Reply #846943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton, Cotton, Blanchfield, Mooney, White, Steindl, Swaka Lo Buluk, Jervis, Wagstaff. Last I checked that was 9, plus Majok that makes 10.
Still following?
Travers, Shervill, Britt and Ferguson are development players.
Bairstow was signed as a injury replacement, therefor is not on the roster.
So yes, they have been playing with an empty roster spot all year. Maybe get your facts right before talking shit.
Thanks for coming to my Ted talk

Reply #846946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not just explain that properly in the first place instead of getting a boner because you possibly got the chance of providing koberulz wrong?

So if Bairstow is an injury replacement, and Magnay is the nominated replacement player, does that mean Bairstow need to make way?

Reply #846947 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Oh, sorry, didn't realise you were a total moron.

Carry on.

Reply #846948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh sorry didn't realize you couldn’t read where someone said above " Technically Bairstow was signed as an injury replacement for Majok."

Reply #846949 | Report this post

Mobbin  
Years ago

Bairstow wasn't signed as a nominated replacement player. He signed in the available spot as Majok was out with season ending injury... Replaced Majok but not as an NRP, so that's 10

Magnay has actually signed as an NRP. Which means 1 player must sit out every game he is going to play in. This can be any full roster player (so exc DPs) and different ones for each game

NRPs have been used by clubs to "hold onto" players through the season in case of injury... Melb, Syd and Perth have done it before.

Reply #846950 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The "moron" comment was directed at the Ted Talk anon, not the anon immediately above my post, who must have posted while I was typing.

Reply #846953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok I predicted on good sources he will sign by Friday but Brisbane and Magney came to a resolution in good time.

I also predicted Kay will consider a return but it's a long shot and only a 30 percent chance. Kay will only CONSIDER a return to Perth

Reply #846954 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

TAB instantly moved Perth to $2.25 equal favs with Melb.

Reply #846956 | Report this post

Not the moron  
Years ago

I figured that KR.

Reply #846957 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Whoever put money down on Perth at $15 is smiling right now.

Reply #846962 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

:)

Reply #846967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's too heavy, don’t expect the blocks and dunks when he was at brissy.

The pels were idiots putting weight on him.

Reply #846968 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Perth should be favourites now, but be interesting to see how Will Magnay and John Mooney play together.

Reply #846969 | Report this post

Mobbin  
Years ago

Yeah match fitness & will be an issue. Expect him off the bench initially (Bairstow continues to start) to build his conditioning up for the playoffs

Reply #846971 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

United have a lot of NPRs - Stith, Kuany, Acouth, CJ Asunscion...I guess if you've got the money, you may as well spend it.

Reply #846972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Over the cap is bad ultimately as you are given the extra to other teams.

Reply #846974 | Report this post

Mobbin  
Years ago

Bolt - yep no real rules around number of NPRs, just when they play they factor into the salary restrictions.

Reply #846975 | Report this post

Mobbin  
Years ago

Mooney played PF through college with a shot blocking, non-3 shooter C and still average a double double. If Magnay has an outside shot they can have one on the inside anytime they are together and owned the boards completely.

Reply #846977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck driving into the paint when both Mooney and Magnay are in the game.

Reply #846978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magnay is 25% slower and 50% less athletic after putting on 10kgs+

Reply #846979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth just do it again, NZ seem to worry cats but they won't be there, so Perth again. I’m torn as I was hoping neither Perth or United would win but can’t see any other result.
You have to give Gleeson credit, he just gets it done.

Reply #846981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney can win imo even without Vasljevic, Glover and louzada.
Cooks is back now too.

Reply #846982 | Report this post

Not the moron  
Years ago

Magnay is 25% slower and 50% less athletic after putting on 10kgs+

Um yeah, that just isn't how muscle mass works.

Reply #846989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, he's too heavy. Anyone can see that his g league frame is different from nbl.

Reply #846990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Money* gets it done

Reply #846993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooks lol, his media coverage is fantastic, have not seen it on the court yet, yes he a good player but a high scoring match winner. DJ and Didi are big losses, DJ the biggest.

Reply #846994 | Report this post

Not the moron  
Years ago

*spending money wisely gets it done again

Reply #846995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another * year for Perth if he joins them.

Reply #846998 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

*yawn* just skip to the finals already.

Reply #847000 | Report this post

Mobbin  
Years ago

Ok anonymous then the Melb United 17/18 championship was a * year as they used the NPR on Carrick Felix almost all season right? Sydney had Taylor for most of 2019/20, but lost that one. Does Perth winning in 2018/19 with one less import then permitted get a bonus ! ?

Reply #847002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would it be an * if Perth signs a guy who played in the NBL last year at this stage of the season?

Reply #847003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why would it be an * if Perth signs a guy who played in the NBL last year at this stage of the season?" He isn't required at all. *

Reply #847005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Says who?

Reply #847012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Cooks a good player though?

Reply #847013 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

* great signing. A threepeat must be on the Wildcats to do list.

Reply #847015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure is with 2 *'s beside the 3 wins. Last nights game proved they didn't need Magnay. United 12? in a row and the feat beaten. Magnay not required.

Reply #847017 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Magnay not required * but we will take him anyway.

Reply #847019 | Report this post

buffbundy  
Years ago

Marcus Timmons- 8 games in 1999-00
Bryce Cotton- 11 games in 2016-17
Miles Plumlee- 7 games in 2019-20
Will Magnay- 10? games in 2020-21

Perth know what they're doing.

Reply #847020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*butt hurt

Reply #847021 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

In European football you get to wear a star on your jersey for every ten league titles won. So yes let's award the Wildcats a *.

Reply #847023 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Lol, everyone wants him. Nek minute he signs with Perth and he's too heavy, not athletic etc etc.

Reply #847029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is top heavy, people have already stated that. He was better leaner4 than a stocky 5

Reply #847030 | Report this post

Jonty  
Years ago

The folks who wrote perth off for having a poor list shouldn't have any fear of this signing. Can't have it both ways.

Reply #847031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smart punters never wrote Perth off, I quoted history shows us that, only to get stupid punters saying history means sweet f..k all. Well the proof is now in the pudding.

Reply #847035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smart punters knew that the cats would be competitive once Cotton got naturalised and another import could come in.

Reply #847038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope the NBL looks at what money they are spending. Good thing Cotton has naturalised ;)

Reply #847045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you read the espn interview he did perth seemed to be front runner for every reason other than money. I'm sure there was plenty of money to be thrown at him, the assumption perth pays overs to everyone is boring at this point

Reply #847052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Magnay specify how much weight he put on? What's all the fuss about.

Reply #847056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because apparently if you add muscle to your frame, it stops your legs working...

Reply #847072 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

If you read the espn interview he did perth seemed to be front runner for every reason other than money.

Yeah, I'm assuming the above is the transcript of Olgun's podcast, in which among other things he cited reasons of
- a team that actually has a need for him at his position;
- being able to ease back into action rather than having to be 'the man' straight away
- a team that is likely to go deep into the playoffs so he gets plenty of playing time
All of which sounded pretty well thought out to me.

He clearly understands that this stint is unlikely to be the start of a long relationship, and doesn't want to drop his own agenda of personal development for the sake of an NBL team's short term goals.
Looking from his point of view (which not many seem to be doing here) I think he has found a pretty good situation.

Reply #847074 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

The West reporting Bairstow will be the one to miss out:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thewest.com.au/sport/perth-wildcats/perth-wildcats-confirm-signing-of-will-magnay-to-boost-title-chances-ng-b881865602z.amp

Reply #847075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth very strong with the addition of Magnay. I think he should play 4. Mooney has been getting it done at 5 let the big man continue

Reply #847078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the two positions are largely the same. They will play wherever needed depending on match ups.

Reply #847079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow would have to feel very unlucky, he's done exactly what’s required, surely it has to be Jarvis.

Reply #847086 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

If your team is in a position to get stronger of course you do it, you dont sit there and go "oh that wouldnt be fair to the Melbourne United team so we better not sign him" Those claiming it puts an * next to the championship (should they actually win it) are just jealous of the success and smarts that Perth have.

Start of the season many were counting Perth out with how weak their lineup is, so going off that really there is no problem adding Magnay anyway.

Reply #847092 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

From that article in The West linked above:

Perth have signed Magnay as Nominated Replacement Player which means they won't have to permanently remove anyone from their roster.
But his arrival means Jarrad Bairstow will have to sit out matches unless another player is injured, given he was originally signed as an Injury Replacement Player for Majok Majok.

Ultimately who Magnay replaces shouldn't matter too much, as he should effectively take all of Bairstow & Jervis's combined minutes anyway.
But yeah I do feel bad for Bairstow, who worked his way from nothing to a starter in a top-2 team.

Reply #847093 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Well said Craig.

No rules were broken.

Reply #847094 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

After the inevitable Bullets release and United ownage the haters had to come up with a new negative angle, this time about Magnay's weight. They're always inventing something new as their fear of us winning yet another title manifests through their posts. What will they think of next?

Reply #847100 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Jealousy Perthworld that's why they do it.

Reply #847105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow will be back as a cat

Reply #847114 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If your team is in a position to get stronger of course you do it, you dont sit there and go "oh that wouldnt be fair to the Melbourne United team so we better not sign him" Those claiming it puts an * next to the championship (should they actually win it) are just jealous of the success and smarts that Perth have.
The problem isn't signing him, the problem is signing him without releasing anyone else.

Reply #847116 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

But if its something they cant do then the league wouldn't allow it Koberulz, it kind of goes back to the first sentence where if they aren't breaking any rules then why should they drop someone? The NBL would be telling them they cant keep the current playing roster and add Magnay if they dont drop someone.

Reply #847138 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And Louzada was within the rules as a next star, but nobody had an issue complaining about that.

The NRP rule basically allows the cashed-up teams to stockpile players, while the poorer teams have to go looking whenever the have an injury they need to cover. It's bullshit.

Reply #847139 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

The fairness to the rule isn't in question though, you should have a gripe with the NBL not the Wildcats for that matter.

Reply #847141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hardly think the wildcats are breaking the bank with players like Bairstow, Jervis, White, Lo Buluk on te roster then using 2 DPs to fill a lot of their court time

Hardly keeping a Carrick Felix on the roster just in case.

Reply #847144 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Is Craig the most sensible poster we've seen on this forum...

Reply #847160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz is the most sensible poster here and it's not even close

Reply #847180 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The fairness to the rule isn't in question though, you should have a gripe with the NBL not the Wildcats for that matter.
I've had a gripe with every single team that's abused this loophole, and I'm not going to stop now just because it happens to be my team that's doing it.

Reply #847184 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

The NRP rule basically allows the cashed-up teams to stockpile players, while the poorer teams have to go looking whenever the have an injury they need to cover. It's bullshit.

I would be concerned if that is preventing other teams from finding a replacement.

Has any other team 'gone without' because of stashed NRPs?

Cairns have simply played King more + injecting Jordan Ngatai.

Sydney have given Hunter and Moller more opportunities and has been a bonus to see them flourish and got Weeks with no fuss.

Adelaide's IH injury has seen a boost in McVeigh minutes and thats been a positive for the team to see his improvement.

Losing Bairstow for extended periods means Froling has flourished.

In each instance the gap has been filled by the next person up within the team and for the most part has seen an improvement of play from the replacements.

I don't see any team missing out and fielding a starting 4.

Reply #847185 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Koberulz fair enough, personally feel though that your gripe needs to be aimed at those who made the loophole possible (The NBL). I dont see it as abusing the loophole, I see it as a club/business doing what it takes to produce the best possible team it can in any circumstance.

Reply #847186 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

In theory isn't the mechanism of a salary cap intended to avoid rich teams stockpiling?

Problem is there are tons of extra parts which semi defeat the purpose by allowing rich teams to get who they want anyway - at a luxury tax expense I suppose.

I would be curious as to what each clubs spends and whether it’s possible to close the gap between bottom and top without driving top talent away en masse.

Reply #847188 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:14 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754