Giacontigers
Years ago

Phoenix / Dragons ?

Did the Phoenix's owners make a mistake being a new franchise?

Should they even considered being the South Dragons rather then being another NBL franchise?

Way too many defunct clubs it’s so embarrassing. The league can’t even make United wear Tigers and Phoenix wear Magic for their Heritage round.

Topic #48444 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't think the Dragons lasted nearly long enough for there to be much of a brand to renew. I think it was a good decision to start fresh. All pro leagues are riddled with failed franchises.

Reply #846523 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

The problem is the clown who came up with the Phoenix name. Could have been so many better options.

Reply #846529 | Report this post

Europa46  
Years ago

Based on your theory the Jackjumpers should be the Tassie Devils. While we are at it let's bring back the west Adelaide bear cats. Move on. They are two seasons old. Give them a chance. I suppose you want Dmac and gaze back, along with Willy Farley and Paul Rees. Anstey and Heal should make an appearance. The world changes. How about you change with it.

Reply #846534 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Based on your theory the Jackjumpers should be the Tassie Devils"

I don't think that’s agreeable. I don’t see a problem with the Phoenix name, but if Tasmania had the opportunity they would have absolutely jumped onto being the Devils again IMO. It would have been the right choice. Dragons? Take it or leave it, no issue with choosing the Phoenix name

Also yes bring back Farley and Maher plz

Reply #846556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a point to this discussion? The NBL isn't pnsible for making any team "wear" uniforms. The Tigers are gone and the Dragons too. So as I said previously what is your point?

Reply #846563 | Report this post

Years ago

Jackjumpers- stupidest name in the history of the league unfortunately.

100% should've been Devils.

Reply #846600 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Larry should've left the Tigers as the Tigers and then brought in the Phoenix.

Instead it's Melbourne "United" and a new franchise

Reply #846609 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Jackjumpers- stupidest name in the history of the league unfortunately.
Adelaide 36ers
City of Sydney Astronauts
Eastside Spectres
Geelong Supercats
Melbourne United
New Zealand Breakers
Singapore Slingers
Sydney Spirit
West Adelaide Bearcats
West Sydney Westars

JackJumpers doesn't stand out in that crowd at all.

Reply #846617 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Astronauts lol.

Reply #846618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shut up Westate Wildcats fan.

Reply #846619 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

United a stupid name. Good for Soccer.

Reply #846620 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Sounds to soccer like for me. Not a fan of the colours etc either.

Jackjumpers is growing on me more and more. Bit like the Knicks, people might say things like:

"Going to the Jacks game tonight"

Reply #846632 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Phoenix is a great name for a team. Much better than United, which is the most boring name for a team I've ever heard. It is a travesty that Melbourne has managed to lose every one of its team identities over the years. Would be hard to be a long term supporter when your team and its history has been binned and you have to start again.

Reply #846636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Going to the Jacks game tonight"

Yep agree. I personally don't love the name, but it got people talking and that was the point. Lots of silly team names, and after awhile they just normalize.

Reply #846725 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would the Dragons have even been an option? I'd assume that Cowan retained the brand?

Reply #846822 | Report this post

STHEaster  
Years ago

I'm fairly sure cowan’s co-owner has been on a few NBL advisory boards and is advising the NBL on how to navigate covid. Also, didn’t Cowan say never say never on a podcast 4-5 months ago?

They tried to resurrect the dragons brand 2-3 since they left the league....

Reply #846857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magic would have been a better options than the Dragons if you were going to go with a previous team

Reply #846876 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Love to see a Victoria Titans return with Teal/white/black colours covering North/West then down to Geelong areas.

Melbourne covering greater Melbourne, Phoenix South East and you've got your "zones" covered for the state

Reply #846878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL is on the same roller coaster it's always been on. Bums on seats are simply not covering salaries, especially now with no cap. It's only a matter of time once again unfortunately.

Reply #846880 | Report this post

STHEaster  
Years ago

Magic wasn't an option. Current owners wanted cash for the brand and LK thought he could do it from scratch

Reply #846896 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

If they could have gotten the Magic brand at a reasonable price they absolutely should have done it. There's still heaps of people with goodwill from those days who all have kids of their own now.

I actually thought the Dragons were starting to do a really good job of bringing together the fans of all the defunct teams and the rivalry with the Tigers was great. Its a shame that all went down the way it did. With United then trying to take that space its hard to see how the Dragons brand could work now, except for the people who insist that United is still just the Tigers and who would probably get on anything (like the Phoenix).

As LV said above, they should have started a second brand (whether it was united, phoenix, dragons whatever) in addition to the Tigers (the one team that had survived everything) rather than butcher that and canibalise their own product.

"Not the Tigers" is actually enough to get a lot of people to games. Without the Tigers there as an enemy, its just two made up teams. Sure if they can both survive long enough there'll be some kind of rivalry eventually, but I'd bet it never lasts long enough

Reply #846898 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I prefer Titans and Dragons over Magic

Reply #846899 | Report this post

STHEaster  
Years ago

I think the Dragons could work - but they need to go toe to toe with United. I think that's where the Phoenix have gone wrong. They seem to be positioning the club as the family friendly, lower budget team based in the 'heartland’ - which is a nice monicker but doesn’t seem to have stuck.

I agree that United has made it more difficult for the second side. Most were defined by hating the Tigers. Now that they’re gone, some moved to United (not all, but enough to diminish the pool).

Having said that, Melbourne needs owners with deep pockets to cut through in a cluttered sports market. I’m surprised that there aren’t more contrived fights and slanging matches between the two clubs - would be a way of adding heat into the rivalry.

Cowan and McPeake were very good at that back in the day.

I’m a member, but not sure I can see Phoenix surviving longer term unless they change a few things. Moving full time to the state Basketball centre would be a mistake. You can’t afford a competitive team against Melbourne, Perth and Sydney playing in a 3k seater.

Reply #846907 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

I thought Mark Cowan did a great job with the South Dragons brand. Mark and his team started the fun entertainment at Vodafone Area (now John Cain).

Crazy to think the Dragons were bottom in 2008 then they finished on top the next season and won the championship in absolute fashion against their then rivals (Tigers). I can't say many NBL teams have done that in their history.

Silly LK should didn’t listen to Mark’s request when they tried 2 to 3 times already?

Phoenix to me are a great family friendly club, but I see no success in their brand with teams like Perth, Melbourne and Sydney with bigger budgets. A few minor changes to their franchise could see them jump to the next level?

It’s on them now if they can make playoffs or not?

Reply #846980 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

I like the idea if Victoria were going to bring in a third franchise they should consider "Victoria."

It would be an absolute dream if the NBL could bring back the Victoria Titans brand. The Black, Teal and white with the pitch fork was such a good look. Playing games in Geelong, Bendigo, Ballarat would be great places for them to play at? Fans will come out and watch if they played in the country you would think.

But with LK still in charge he will never let any past NBL teams come back. He had many changes bringing teams names like Devils, Magic, Dragons etc.

Magic were very successful franchise and past NBL teams were scared of losing to them. That's a franchise the NBL should of considered but did Orlando Magic have a say?

Orlando Magic were around with Shak in the 90’s, no copyright then lol!

Reply #846983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember going to the 2009 NBL finals. Zach Efron was at game 5. I personally would of liked if Phoenix took on the South Dragons franchise. Mark Cowan did a great job with starting good entertainment at John Cain Arena.

Reply #847279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's disrespectful from the private owners of the NBL. The owners are all arrogant and never listen to the fans ideas for team names.

Phoenix and JackJumpers were already chosen behind the scenes. Shit names and I agree, Phoenix should be Southeast Dragons. Easier than saying South East Melbourne Phoenix is way too long for a club. Not many people agreed with Phoenix when it was announced on their social media pages.

#disgraceful

Reply #866758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phoenix and JackJumpers are laughable names.

No fear in those's names when you come up against them.

Reply #866778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes because professional athletes get scared by a team's mascot.

Reply #866783 | Report this post

Nachos95  
Years ago

Phoenix should of included all of Victoria. Even though the Victoria Titans got bankrupt, they had support in their big games against the Melbourne Tigers.

Brian could of made a comeback, imagine that.

Would of been better for the league to get behind regional Victoria. I went to a few NBL games at Bendigo Stadium, great stadium and atmosphere.

Their stadium would do, then you play the bigger games at John Cain against teams like United.

Reply #869227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Nachos95 I agree, when the NBL even considered bringing back South East Melbourne, it had to be Magic right?

Phoenix was a massive slap in the face. Now JackJumpers, but I have grown on their name a bit.

Titans black, white, teal are much better colours. If Phoenix wanted green they should of went with dark green like the JackJumpers. Who likes Fluro and grey. It's a bit like GWS’s colours. Just yuck. Why pick those’s colours?

Reply #869228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course Magic. Did Orlando Magic have say?

Reply #869311 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Phoenix was a massive slap in the face."

Hyperbole much.

Phoenix name and colours are fine.

Would love to see a north west team called titans return with teal black and white.

United go back to Tiges.

Reply #869321 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Grey and fluro doesn't match in my opinion. It’s only good for tradies, cyclist, work etc.

Instead of North West, the NBL should bring back the Titans. They would get enough supporters in regional Victoria.

Giants was a massive slap in the face to both Magic and Giants supporters. At least the Titans were strong. Had great games against the Melbourne Tigers. Titans seemed to always have the upper hand against them in finals.

Would love to see the Tigers back in some sort of fashion.

Reply #869385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL should of tried harder to keep all the Summer NBL teams who competed in the 1998/99 season.

There were good foundation clubs like Canberra, Newcastle then present clubs Illawarra and Brisbane.

Cairns first season still here. West Sydney should have a franchise in a couple of years hopefully. Crocodiles only deserve a franchise if the Townsville locals are willing to support them again but very unlikely.

Reply #869386 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:48 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754