Jack Toft
Years ago

Brisbane v SEM June 8

Well it's here, the last minor round game and the table is not yet fully decided.

Sydney would be praying for a good win by the Bullets, a very good win. They could steal 4th. A SEM win wold see everyone's second team drop to fourth.

It's been an even series at 2 all, but SEM have more skin in the game and should arrive to this game more determined to win than a Scotsman collecting a debt.

SEM to finish the season in third spot.

Topic #48671 | Report this topic

Johnno  
Years ago

surely brisbane win by 80

Reply #851880 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Massive game

From the perspective of United, I really want SEM to win. A semi final series with them is the biggest threat to United's title chances, as they could feasibly shoot the lights out twice in 3 games. Lots of weapons- Sykes, Gliddon, Adnam and Brokehoff can all either shoot the ball really well, or are just good scorers, or both. Then Creek does a bit of everything and Wetzell has a decent low post game.

From the perspective of a basketball fan, if United do in fact win their semi, a United vs SEM GF is a better proposition than United vs Perth. Based on recent results and the absence of Cotton, a United vs Perth GF wouldn't be great basketball. United has won 5 of the last 7 vs Perth including the last 3 in Perth, and several of those were comfortable wins. A healthy United would likely sweep, at worst 3-1, and Perth's best chance would be playing super scrappy basketball and hoping United throws it away. Not great to watch. Whereas SEM and United have had some cracking games this season, and SEM have proven they have the firepower to challenge United's defense.

Reply #851885 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"A semi final series with them is the biggest threat to United's title chances"

And injuries of course. That's the other big threat for United, as per any sporting team anywhere

Reply #851886 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

" if United do in fact win their semi, a United vs SEM GF is a better proposition than United vs Perth."

And Illawarra who United have owned this season.

If United's in the GF, we should all want them playing SEM- it would be better to watch and more chance of going to 5.

Reply #851887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are such a bore LV.

Reply #851889 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Melbourne versing Illawarra would be just as exciting. I've been to all five Throwdown games this season. There’s been 3 out of 5 which weren’t as exciting as it should of been. United has only owned Phoenix when Phoenix are vulnerable etc. injuries.

Phoenix are always up and down. You don’t know which Phoenix team will show up?

I have noticed Cam Gliddon injured. Phoenix have not been great without Gliddon. But if they do get the job done tonight they should beat no Cotton Perth team in the semi-finals. Would not be surprised if Brisbane win but it would suck for all Melbourne teams if they do finish in 4th place. No crowds for one series would be bad but who knows. Grand Final could be the same?

Reply #851891 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The interesting thing about United vs Illawarra is Vickerman mentioned the Gong as a possible semi final venue.

I wonder if UTD is waiting on tonight, and will play home semis vs SEM in Wollongong but at Qudos if they're playing Hawks

Reply #851894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Qudos too expensive for the crowd they won't get

Reply #851895 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Bullets by 81.

Reply #851901 | Report this post

Kb_24  
Years ago

Anyone knows if mechado assist king nbl 2021..he has more assist than giddey..

Reply #851903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane, no chance, to many average players. SEM by 12.

Reply #851904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I wonder if UTD is waiting on tonight, and will play home semis vs SEM in Wollongong but at Qudos if they're playing Hawks"

Logistically it would make sense to play all games in Illawarra if Melb plays the Hawks.

Reply #851909 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Any word on preliminary semi-final dates or do we wait after tonight's game ends?

Reply #851911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth hosts game one on Thursday.

Reply #851913 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

If there are Playoff games at Qudos will we be able to attend do you think?

Reply #851919 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Perth hosts game one on Thursday.

Thanks.

Reply #851987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Citation required.

Reply #852014 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The MVP chants go up for Sobey as he passes Cotton for leading total points scored for the season.

Reply #852041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many less games did Cotton play?

Reply #852044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The refs are at an all time low with these shit foul calls

Reply #852045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flop Sobey, or mr elbows.

Reply #852046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The MVP chants go up for Sobey as he passes Cotton for leading total points scored for the season.

Oh dear...

Reply #852048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's Gliddon?

Drink whenever someone says "leads from the front". Cringe worthy stuff.

Reply #852051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He and his wife had a baby so he is NA

Reply #852053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does that mean he'll miss the playoffs? Assume he's stuck in Victoria, will any state let him in without quarantine?

Reply #852055 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Brisbane getting all the calls

Hodgson just knocked Sobey over and they find a foul on Broekhoff

That said, Creeks tech was unforgivable

Reply #852057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh here we go.... Blaming the refs again.

Reply #852058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The refs gifting this to Brisbane. Drimic and Sobey must have wip lash at end games how many times there heads go back.

Reply #852059 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

SEM need Gliddon back. Without him I don't think they'll win either semi

Matchup wise I think SEM might struggle with Mooney and Magnays size and rebounding. Brisbane is killing them on O glass and Perth could do likewise

Reply #852060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United v SEM it is.

Reply #852061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

24 fouls to 12

I'll just leave this here

Reply #852062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If only Patterson could turn up and play like this all season, Brisbane are so much better when the ball is in his hands and dictates where the ball goes.

Reply #852066 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Tanking for United?

Perhaps SEM would rather play United in neutral territory than Perth in Perth. They played well against United this season.

Reply #852068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Especially when they're getting every call

Reply #852069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEM should count themselves lucky to be in the finals anyway. They are one missed layup by Wagstaff from finishing fifth. They're not that good.

Reply #852071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hearing United are in Cairns at the moment

Reply #852072 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United stylistically is more like SEM and less like Brisbane or Perth, so it'll be a like for like matchup

Reply #852073 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Great, Wildcats draw a harder team in the SF now.

Reply #852078 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

All three United/Phoenix games in Sydney starting Friday night.

Reply #852080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis goes out a winner, congratulations.

Mitchell and SEM make finals second season in, congratulations as well.

Reply #852082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great, Wildcats draw a harder team in the SF now.

Um that's what happens when you finish second in a four team finals format...

Reply #852083 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Well, this brought the exciting series forward

If SEM can shoot the ball well, they'll cause problems for anyone including United

Hawks and Cotton less Perth hold zero fear for mine. A healthy United should sweep either of them. Maybe 3-1 if Harvey and Jessup go nuts or United drops the ball and coughs up a few turnovers against the pressure of Norton and Perth. But a healthy United wins either series comfortably, they won't even need to be anywhere near their best to win either

But SEM will push us- if they get their confidence up and get on a roll. Quite possible.

And I assume Being in NSW gives Gliddon a better chance of getting an exemption than say, WA would've. They do need him to challenge United.

Reply #852086 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I wanted to see United/Phoenix in the GF because SEM are the only genuine threat to United this season. I also didn't want to see Perth or Hawks in the GF because neither of them could compete with United.

Hopefully SEM do us all a favour and knock the 'chosen ones' out in the SF.

Reply #852087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop complaining you bunch of sad sacks. We are lucky to have had a complete season so shut up and enjoy the finals you scum bags!

Reply #852088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On that effort SEM will get swept

Reply #852089 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Phoenix winning their semi is the only chance any of the playoffs are interesting, but even then that semi will be played in a lockout so who gives a shit?

I'm just done with this season. Every result is the least dramatic one possible, it's June and there's other shit on...just give United the trophy and piss off.

Reply #852091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will allow a crowd for the series

Reply #852093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane want get Law back, keep Patterson and BJ if it's three imports. Obviously Sobey and Drimic, Harrison still there, good start for a next coach.

Reply #852094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I wanted to see United/Phoenix in the GF because SEM are the only genuine threat to United this season. I also didn't want to see Perth or Hawks in the GF because neither of them could compete with United."

I like how you said "also" and then said virtually the same thing as if you had another great point to make.

Reply #852095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I apologise KR you are correct

Reply #852096 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

KR you are correct
The least necessary phrase in the history of Hoops.

Reply #852097 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

SEM have genuine fire-power.

They've proven this season they're capable of rolling with us.

And best of 3 leaves minimal margin for error.

Reply #852098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So is it with fans or no fans? Either way, both Melbourne teams have had plenty of experience playing in front of no fans this season

Reply #852099 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No fans, as I said.

Reply #852100 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

But I agree, on tonight's effort SEM will get swept without a doubt.

But playing United means SEM has an extra day rest. Travelling to Perth tomorrow would've been a nightmare for SEM. They mightve been cooked.

I expect a cracking game on Friday. Shame its in Sydney.

Reply #852101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#098 losing 3 of their last 4 says different

Reply #852102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"SEM have genuine fire-power.

They've proven this season they're capable of rolling with us."

Which players were missing from each game they played due to injury?

Reply #852103 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Which players were missing from each game they played due to injury?]

Lots

In most of the 5 matchups one of Sykes, Creek and Gliddon were missing or barely playing (Eg Sykes missed one and played 9 minutes in another)
Plus of course Broekhoff missed the first couple. Gibson also.

United had some outs too but overall SEM has been missing more compared to the teams that will front up Friday.

I assume Gliddon plays since the border not closed anymore.

Reply #852104 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Um that's what happens when you finish second in a four team finals format...

Congratulations on missing the point.

Reply #852106 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:49 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754