Perth fan.
Years ago

Corey Webster

Corey Webster has been given permission to speak with other clubs despite being contracted to NZ.
Brisbane, Illawarra, Perth, Sydney and Tasmania all showing interest.

Where to next for Webster?

Topic #48951 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bullets

Reply #861002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth makes no sense unless he plans on being a sixth man

Reply #861006 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

I see Webster as a 6th man who can score in a hurry.
Not necessarily with Perth just in general.

Even if he stayed in NZ I would bring him off the bench.

Reply #861007 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

He came off the bench in NZ when they were fully fit anyway, so maybe he's seeking out a starter spot.

Reply #861009 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Not Brisbane please. No thank you.

Reply #861010 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He's probably just looking minutes which aren't available at the Breakers with how stacked with Guards they are if the rumors of Peyton Siva & Hugo Besson are true.

Reply #861011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Breakers fan, I am not concerened if Corey signs elsewhere...can be quite one dimensional, doesn't play defence and if he isn't the focus, he seems to lose interest.

Reply #861023 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

We are talking about a bloke that was once contracted to the Perth Wildcats so he must have seen something that he liked within the organisation.

Personally I'd welcome him into the Wildcats as the gunner off the bench that can close out games if needed and able insurance for Norton and Cotton as both proved to miss games last season, can handle the ball but seems to forget that he can pass too and best of all is he actually kicks some serious arse at RAC Arena so if he isn't going to break the bank then I think he's a good get on a squad that looks like it's in need for scoring punch off the bench without using an import slot.

Sucks for him that his brother cost him his job basically

Reply #861024 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Is this like the 3rd or 4th time Webster has asked to be released whilst contracted? 3 times with NZ and once with Perth was it?

Reply #861053 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Personally I'd welcome him into the Wildcats"

Yeah nah, Hard Pass, thanks.

Not sure why anyone is surprised. For whatever reason the guy just can't stick with a team.

Reply #861055 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Does he even ask for permission or do the Breakers just release the same press release each offseason at this point?

Reply #861064 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

He still has good value as a scorer, someone will buy.

Just whether the new administration can put up with the extra baggage.

Reply #861067 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"He still has good value as a scorer, someone will buy."

In order to have any true value as a scorer, he needs to actually be on court throughout the season.

Wildcats signed him to a two year deal, and I don't recall him playing a single game. So what's the point?
You're literally better off not wasting your time on him.

Reply #861079 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Let's face it, the guy is 33 in a few months. I, at least, still see him as relatively young. But he's not. He's actually over the hill and should come off the bench no matter what team he plays for. He hasn't just been out of form in the last year or two, he's actually declining.

Give him a very specific bench role. Just looked at the Jackjumpers and their lack of bench perimeter scoring. I think he'll almost certainly end up there

Reply #861083 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

From what I understood the Breakers had initiated the discussion and were happy for him to look elsewhere for minutes as they're loaded with guards who fit Shamirs game plan.
He doesn’t have to leave, he has a contact but he probably won’t be getting much burn if any

Reply #861109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey Webster is still an elite player in this league. The only two comparable scorers are Cotton and CG43. He also became an exceptional passer last season. But he is aging, he is injury prone, and he is ball dominant in a way that sucks the rhythm out of his teammates. Some of these issues is why the Breakers did better when they shipped him offshore season before last. I am guessing the Breakers feel that Tai Webster is coachable, will play better alongside pass first 1s like WMW and Siva, and has a high ceiling in the future whereas Corey's best days are past him.

Reply #861114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey is literally the Dion Waiters of the NBL. Dribbles the piss out of the ball and looks for his shot first much to the detriment of the team.

Reply #861132 | Report this post

Rookie81  
Years ago

Maybe he has seen the money Tasmania is offering to players and wants to see what they'll offer him?

Reply #861139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't he post something negative on social media when NBL announced Breakers were relocating to Launceston?

Reply #861153 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Would welcome him at Perth.

Reply #861233 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yeah nah, been there, done that.

Reply #861250 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

He hasn't played for Perth previously.

Reply #861255 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Well, he did sign with Perth before. He just walked before the season began. Given what the Wildcats have lost, he would be a great fit backing up Cotton - pending their thoughts on how the first time transpired.

Reply #861256 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"He hasn't played for Perth previously."

Yeah, that's the problem.

As I said before, he signed a 2 year deal, and walked before playing a game.
If we signed him now, I'd lay odds he doesn't even finish out the season.

Reply #861271 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:35 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754