Anonymous
Years ago

How do we qualify to comment on controversial threads

I noticed the cambage thread requires extra privileges.

Would've been handy for discussion about the Mitch creek article too

Topic #48980 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was thinking the same thing seems like a fair question

Reply #861746 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Regular posters can contact me about it. Per the message: "If you're a longtime, registered member, contact me for an upgrade."

If you're not a longtime, registered member, wait until you are.

For anyone with a burning desire to speak their mind in any way on any topic, please use your own social media pages where I have no legal exposure or moderating responsibility.

You might think this is heavy handed, but you don't get the legal letters, etc.

Reply #861758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I started the " cambage quits the Olympics " thread but can't even comment on it. LOL

Reply #861779 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Isaac summed it up. Also reduces the amount of stupid comments too.

Reply #861780 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You are welcome to email me. Generally it's about checking post history and assessing the risk.

I'm not privy to their exact mechanisms, but r/NBA have an enhanced moderation mode for specific threads that is presumably looking to deal with the same issues.

For what it's worth, at some point this year, the forum switched to "must register to post" for all users after 15 years of the previous mode.

Reply #861781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair enough. Is there a rough guideline for "long time"

Reply #861807 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not really. Just that I'd have more awareness of the chances of that person being a reasonable contributor that doesn't need babysitting. If someone had been very active over the last two weeks and seemed like a solid option, I'd probably upgrade them. If someone had been around for years but never used an alias and/or wasn't worth the risk, I wouldn't.

The last person asked if they'd been around long enough and it turned out they were the 49th person to ever register on Hoops!

Reply #861830 | Report this post

Elphinkiller  
Years ago

I actually think it is a good move, people should be more accountable about what they write on the internet. It is actually one of the things that annoys me about this forum is the "anonymous" posts, makes people less accountable when they don't have a name and they don't have to own the shit they post.

Reply #861926 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Thanks for the clarification.

Reply #862218 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:35 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754