Years ago

U16 champs discussion

Wa metro men beat nt
Qld nth women beat wa country
Qld sth women beat wa metro

Topic #49252 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

WA metro beat SA country boys by 21 in a fairly ordinary standard game.

Reply #872068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Country nearly with the upset of the tournament so far. Took a 25-1 final quarter for WA Metro to get over the line!

Reply #872071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crees

Reply #872072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many 06s will make next crocs team next year?

Reply #872074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nt and tas and wa c not offering much this year

Reply #872076 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Please remember forum guidelines about not naming U18 players in a positive or negative judgement-of-their-performance capacity.

Reply #872079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I get the negative but you can't say positive things about certain players?

Reply #872081 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The advice from coaches over the years was to avoid either. Generally the one exception is in the context of an U18 player playing at ABL level. This has been a forum guideline for 15+ years.

Reply #872082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic & NSW are the 2 strongest states
They ain't there
It’s not a National tournament
Is a bunch of scratch matches
End of discussion.

Reply #872086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nsw hasn't been strong in a long time. When did they win last?

Reply #872087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2014 in the men, 1998 in the women lol.

Reply #872088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

State Rankings
Vic Met
Qld North
Vic Country
A fair bit of daylight
WA Met
NSW Met
Qld South
Alot more daylight
The Rest

Reply #872089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rankings over all age groups?

Reply #872091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#068, if you call that game ordinary, you're a hard judge, think SA country surprised a few.
#071 pretty much what WA coach thought too, lucky to get out with the win, just too strong (and tall) down the stretch.
In boys SA Metro will clean sweep their pool WA Metro and QLD south will be fight out #1 in Pool B.

Reply #872098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WAM boys still tired from shooting so much the night before beating NT by 100! SAC aren't in the same ball park

Reply #872107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Girls games were underwhelming. One significant standout performance for SA Country.

Reply #872121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#107 if they tired after a 100 point win, they may need to look at their fitness. :)

SAC woke them from their slumber, may have poked the bear, good shooters, solid talls. Be good to watch WAM v QLD South

Reply #872122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given that the u14 clubs finals the last time any meaningful national-level event was played in this age group were NSW/Vic in the boys and Vic/Vic in the girls, it's probably fair to say those states are big absences. I doubt that, were they there, they would win the tournament, as we saw how much the lack of competition had knocked the Vics around at 18s. I'm glad the kids who are there are getting to play, but it will be interesting to see how results this time around compare to 18s in a couple of years.

Reply #872129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If all there it would have been close in the boys but in the girls, I think vic m n c and nsw m n c would have been the top 4.

Reply #872130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you can't watch this Nationals and appreciate the joy and positive outcome that at least most teams can still compete and represent their state without having to talk it down just don't watch.

This is the biggest achievement in sport for most of these kids and you adults just want to talk it down. Shame on you all.

Reply #872131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those covid cesspool states aren't there.
Enjoy who is there.

Reply #872134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#131 I agree and disagree with you. It will be the biggest achievement in sport for a lot of these kids. To me, that's exactly the reason to 'talk it down.' It's a huge deal in the context of their sporting careers but people acting like any team there is full of future junior national reps or kids with huge pro potential doesn't do these kids any favours. Just makes it harder for them to handle reality. It can be fantastic for them to be there even if it's not a competition of huge significance.

Reply #872144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So don't talk it up or down. As Isaac has pointed out regarding the rules around individual players. Neither is helpful.

Reply #872145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#145, I had 'talk it down' in quotes because I think some people being accused of talking it down are just being realistic. So talking it up/down is clearly a matter of perspective, and either there's no conversation, or you have to accept that some people are going to view the event as more meaningful than others.

Reply #872151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure all teams there are well aware of who is missing, and I would say most would prefer them to be there, so they can see where they are at. They're not and we know we can't stop the world for a few. It's sad for both sides of the fence. Would the same negativity be spoken if 3 of the others states that are there weren't? Hmmm

Good chance for some others to get noticed too, we all know that at all levels sometimes the top you wear has a bearing on how your talent is perceived!

Reply #872158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Qld North too good down the stretch, SAM lacking structure or any working zone breaking offence. Should go 1 and 2 in their pool.

Reply #872204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Metro and country boys looking like they have just played each other in the lead up. Both lack any system or discipline when needed

Reply #872207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge win by SA Country girls over WA Metro. It's funny but for all the recent success in medals the boys program has had the last few years, the girls program in WA is really struggling. Are coaches to blame or is this all on the High Performance manager?

Reply #872208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or is there just not the same talent in WA in girls basketball as other states?

Reply #872209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only 7 Aus reps in like 10 years

Garbin
Pirini
Mckay
Hoycard
Dennis
Clarke
Deegan

Maybe another 2 soon though

Jacobs
Clark

Clearly a problem...

Sa, nsw, qld have had about 25 each
Vic over 50.

Reply #872212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Problem is the uncompetitive girls junior rep comp. 70 point blowouts in championship division of ten teams a common occurrence

Reply #872221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WA only keep 8-10 girls in the high perf programs per age group once they are out of U14's. eg u16 will have 18-22 girls half top, half bottom agers. Rough numbers

Its not enough, especially in girls basketball.

Results suggest something has to change

Reply #872222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Realistically all the states that are there have been playing all year. So I'm not sure what people are talking about when they say all the teams have had to suffer the same. I think it’s good they get to play but don’t try to say that all are created equal in their loss. No kids have missed more opportunities than Melbourne kids. So yes be happy others get to play but be mindful of how you try to use everyone has missed out all year to justify it.

If lockdown ends as planned on October 26, Melbourne will have spent 267 days in hard lockdown since March last year - a total of nearly 9 months.

It will beat the next most locked-down city in the world, Buenos Aires, by 22 days.

Reply #872232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

872222 has a good point. Low numbers in HP program intakes, particularly in higher female age groups seems counter intuitive to keeping/growing a talent pool. This is the age where a lot of girls are lost to sport generally, plus injuries, school, other commitments all add up so you'd think taking more would ensure you constantly have a solid training group to all keep each other on their toes and keep growing the talent base. This year WA u18 girls had 17 in their SPP squad. That is really only 1 or 2 positional injuries away from being stuck with having to send a team that is out of balance, plus looking ahead to the following year and 1 or 2 drop out then you just are limiting your own options

Reply #872236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie turning their Tournament around this morning, currently up 28 to 8 against SA Metro boys.

Reply #872246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#872236 Spot on. Its like the future basketballers are chosen when they are 13/14/15. Absurd.

Reply #872253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone needs to tell the SA Country girls parents their whinging and embarassing carrying on is being broadcast live. One guy in particular thinks the game is all about him. Should be tossed out the building.

Reply #872276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed! Feral behaviour at it's best, good job SA Country

Reply #872278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wa should be bringing in 25 at u15/16, cut down to 20 u17/18, cut down to 15 u19/20

Reply #872279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is lehmann bottom age?

Reply #872280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes

Reply #872281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We will have a good 07/08 sapphires.

Reply #872282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good idea, as mentioned before the depth in the girls rep league is extremely thin. You would see some teams have players on bench that in other states would barely make a 1st side

Reply #872285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone have the program for the tournament?

Reply #872287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find most girls competitions are relatively thin. You can't compare the girls to the boys.

The same could certainly be said about SA and NSW.

Reply #872289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if they are thin, then surely the way to improve them is get more development into more of them rather than less

Reply #872292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or maybe they're just not capable. You can't turn any player into a superstar just with coaching.

Reply #872293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Girls teams have 1 or 2 great players
Boys teams have 1 or 2 weaker players, that's why there’s such a huge gap in standard.

Reply #872294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ and the misogynist of the day award goes to

Reply #872295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ keep tiptoeing around the truth if it makes you feel better

Reply #872296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#295 If you're going to play the sexist card every time someone points out the truth girls basketball will continue to struggle. You think you're helping but you are not.

Reply #872297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#295 I think the comment definitely comes across that way if you haven't spent a lot of time with the kids, but in this case I don't think it's necessarily misogynist. I've coached a large number of junior boys and girls teams at club, rep and state levels and it's almost always hard to cut the last kids from the boys' side, and almost always hard to fill the last spots in a girls' side. There is an absolutely fair argument to be had about the way we structure sport such that girls are not encouraged into it, and there is a fair argument about coaching styles being oriented to what suits boys/men. So IMO the reasons that the girls' competitions are so much weaker have sexist underpinnings. But pointing out that they are weaker - especially in the context of a discussion that has mostly been about how to better support them - is pretty fair.

Reply #872298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't turn anyone into a superstar, but if you improve the level the stars are playing against, then you will make the stars better and maybe even turn them into superstars. And the comment about boys vs girls is one of the more idiotic things I've come across, even on this forum!

Reply #872299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are some fantastic female basketball players around, just a higher percentage of fantastic male basketball players. That's not sexist, it’s the truth

Reply #872300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#298 it's context specific. Maybe that’s the situation at your club, it certainly isn’t at mine. The depth of talent on the girls side of the program is much deeper. As a result it’s much harder to pick the girls teams than the boys. You’re mistaking your unconscious bias for facts

Reply #872307 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

Great to see this tournament go ahead despite the great difficulties. Can i ask our friends in WA and SA whether netball is a big competitor sport for the girls in their states like it is in NSW?

Reply #872317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Red, Netball is far and away the most popular sport for girls in SA. They have huge numbers in comparison to basketball. AFLW now is also cutting into girls numbers, both of elite, established players as well as future up and comers.

Combine that with the stats that clearly show less girls play sport compared to boys and its a challenge for sports without the big money and profile to compete with the big two.

Reply #872341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What can we learn from Netball's dominance? Girls are attracted to an environment that is female centric & dominated by female leadership.

How many visible female leaders (coaches, administrators, officials) does your club have?

Seems to me that an easy way to attract more girls to your club would be to increase your (visible) female leadership.

Reply #872345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or that Netball is a historically Australian sport. It's part of our culture that girls play Netball, boys play Footy.

Go to any country town and their clubs are designed that way, and the Football/Netball Club is the sports mecca of the Country Town.

You can't just parachute a female into a coaching, refereeing or admin role and think that will fix the problem. If they don't have the passion, experience and skills they'll just fail. You need to find the right females who have the time and interest in such roles. That's the challenge. Clubs aren't turning away qualified women from positions, they crave them. But there just aren't many out there.

Reply #872364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strongly disagree, #364. Boys club mentality prevails. Diversity, be it gender- or ethnicity-based is not an aspect that my state puts meaningful effort into. Our best drivers of female-specific environments are elite female players and coaches from outside the state and association pathways.

Reply #872373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But why is that? Do you know of local females who have been blocked or not considered fairly? Do you know of any who have been refused opportunity due to their sex?

You can't just say the boys club is to blame if there are no women willing to put up with the hard slog required to do these roles. I'm sure there are many qualified and capable, but they have to be willing. Without proof of biased you can't just claim there is.

Reply #872377 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

I think the structure of rep basketball tournaments could benefit from a rethink.

We lose a lot of girls in the age bracket 15-17.

The fall in interest seems to be particularly hurtful for those clubs in the regions and smaller states. In contrast your "elite" clubs in Dandenong, Bulleens etc in Vic metro region sail through without any problems.

I think the situation can be improved if you give girls in the 15-17 age bracket something to aim at, which helps bind them to their clubs for a couple of more years. A glamour tournament. I suggest a U17 National Club Champs. Representing your local community on a national stage. Bookends the very successful U14 club champs, which is played in all sorts of places around the country.
U17 because it is just before the key HSC year, when the girls tend to scatter. When I have suggested this idea in the past - the Melb/Syd metro brigade oppose it - they cannot see the point. But I guess I am addressing a SA.WA, Tas and Qld crowd here - do you see any merit in this idea?

Reply #872397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ajc u15 u17 u19 like the kiwis

3/4 are already gone by u20s

Reply #872398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Red its the same age bracket in every state.

Teenagers have lives, other things become a higher priority.

Reply #872408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#377, what on earth?? I'm not just saying it, I have been there and done that and know many many women who have encountered the same. We are held to different standards from the moment we put our hands up. Higher hurdles to clear to be appointed, and higher levels of achievement expected once we're in the roles. If you want to put your head in the sand, mate, that's up to you. But that's the sort of attitude that prevents change, because you think that if YOU haven't seen it/lived it, no one else has. The glass ceiling and glass cliff phenomena are well-documented, the evidence is in. But I don't think you're interested in evidence.

Reply #872413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ yep, the struggle is real. Unconscious bias permeates through everything, and it is exhausting for female coaches

Reply #872423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#413 - Sorry to hear what happened to you.

I know as a current JDO we are always looking to get female coaches on board at our club and provide all the development they can get.

Reply #872424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just wondering peoples opinions? Not naming him but the 7'1-7’2 kid from QLD south obviously garners attention just because of his size. Do people think he’s got legitimate boomers potential in the future? Hasn’t looked bad at all but obviously has massive size advantage over everyone so hard to get a real assessment

Reply #872463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would need 2 years min at Coe to make a call.

I'd say the sf/pf in the same team has more potential.

Being born in 06, still 3 solid years of growth left.

C could be 7’3
Sf/pf could be 6’6-6’8

Reply #872464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More female coaches administrators ext. is not the problem or the solution. It's visibility of the leagues and players. No male basketball
player is a player because they see men coaching or owning teams. It’s because they see MJ, Lebron, and they want to be like them. The role models need to come from players and promoting them. Also no boy grows up wanting to coach because of Phil Jackson they want to coach because it allows them to still be part of the game at a high level if they don’t make it as a player. This narrative of we need more female role models in coaching and high ranking positions is laughable. What needs to happen is better promotion of the stars of the game. No female player knows who the coach of the Las Vegas Aces is but they know Liz Cambage

Reply #872477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^* and to add to that. There are many women millionaires out there. Why are they not buying teams and sponsoring and lifting women's sports?? Why are they not creating those opportunities.

Reply #872479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The implication that males can't be role models to women and women can’t be role models to men is the most sexist undertone to this view.

Reply #872480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks, #464, I hope it pays dividends for the club.

#480, those are not the undertones. Of the people who played the biggest roles on my playing and coaching pathways, a majority were men. For the most part, men made the decisions to give me opportunities, and men advocated on my behalf. There are some incredible people involved in this sport and it is not gender-dependent. But men didn't do those good things for me because women are inherently incapable, they did them because men are in positions of power. We create environments for female athletes that are entirely based on sporting cultures built over decades by and for male athletes and coaches. Then wring our hands and say "oh but so many girls leave the sport between 15 and 17, maybe we should change the age groupings??" No. GIRLS grow up wanting to be Lebron and Steph, too. Then they get to 15 and realise it's never going to happen, and they get sick of being asked to work just as hard as boys for whom there's a real career pathway. They can't go into coaching to stay involved in the game - not if they want to earn a living. Because they'll be expected to coach women. But like I said before, I don't think you're interested in evidence, or fixing things. Your sexism is benevolent, but still very real.

Reply #872487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This conversation is pointless. You can't argue with how someone feels.

People are treated poorly by clubs for many reasons, don't like it go elsewhere.

Reply #872493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching sa metro boys the other day they had 3 assistants sitting on the bench .talk about overkill and confusion for the kids . With a 1-2 record obviously this coaching group is a fail

Reply #872499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Head Coach reappointed for next year prior to this Tournament even starting. BSA aiming low as always.

Reply #872501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's always saltiness here, but SA related saltiness is always the best

Reply #872503 | Report this post

Sixers  
Years ago

"Watching sa metro boys the other day they had 3 assistants sitting on the bench .talk about overkill and confusion for the kids"

Why is that confusing? The assistant coaches would all know the system and structure so they would just be saying what the head coach would be.

"With a 1-2 record obviously this coaching group is a fail"

Record could be 0-3 and be successful coaching. Everything has context. Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder. Either you haven't followed what has transpired or due to your agenda/hate have failed to mention that the team has lost probably their best player due to injury. The results so far have been about as expected under the circumstances.

Reply #872504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks John

Reply #872505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even without Vic and NSW, SA Metro boys can't make Semis. Terrible result, horrible final quarter against WA by the coaching staff.

Reply #872526 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

And your thoughts are based on what.. maybe group not as strong as years past. Maybe injury hurt..maybe positives might help... maybe several years to rebuild needed.
Maybe just a tough year or 18 months Muppet..

Reply #872527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nsw m would have won in the boys

Possibly vic m or nsw c in the girls.

Looking like qld sth boys and qld sth girls for the title.

Reply #872528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#527 Maybe or Maybe not.

Maybe having some of the best kids in the age group choose Club over State is something that should be addressed.
Maybe certain kids choosing to drop out due to the coach is something that should be addressed.
Maybe selecting said coach for 2022 before this years Nationals was a mistake.
Maybe running one player for almost the entire game despite having his worst game of the Tournament and costing them points at both ends was a mistake.
Maybe another boys failure for a State which used to be 2nd only behind Vic in Boys needs to be addressed.
Maybe injury is a cop out.
Maybe a State which has lost less minimal activity, (certainly less than QLD who has two teams in the Semis) due to COVID in 18 months shouldn't be using COVID as an excuse.
Maybe I believe not making Semis at an Event without NSW, Vic or ACT a failure and its alarming that you and others do not. High Performance isn't what it used to be it seems.

I am sure the boys who attended gave their all. I am sure the coaching staff did the best they could. But it wasn't enough and at this level if the State want to be one of the best again, excuses aren't good enough.

Reply #872539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, SA have 1 team miss semis and there's an inquisition. Despite having the biggest team there, the WA metro girls have only beaten NT, lost their other games convincingly and at times looked completely dysfunctional. If they were from SA there would be a Royal commission

Reply #872542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True.

Reply #872543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#242 SA has two teams in the semi's and two teams who missed the Semi’s
Girls both through with good wins
Boys both missed out against Two good teams yesterday

Reply #872546 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Can I get someone to just fix the rim on the entry side please.. it's been killing me all tournament.

Reply #872549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Credit to qld.

Reply #872550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#549 makes the dunks look more impressive!!

Reply #872551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone explain how the current SA Country 16 girls Head coach has been shafted for the position next year even though he has done a decent job?
Appointing Jamie Petty to this position must be a joke!

Reply #872553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Into a semi final - doesn't happen often for SAC.

Reply #872554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ are you kidding? Good for them but half the competition is missing. Stupid comment to make given the circumstances

Reply #872556 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Unreal teams win and still not credit. Have the feral parents settled.. Saturday night so expect be very slow tomorrow...

Reply #872578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#556 SAC girls now into GF, all but 2 are lower age. Can only play against those that are there. Regardless good for them for next year!

Reply #872579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

boys gf

Qld sth vs qld nth

Girls gf

Qld sth vs sa c

Reply #872580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where the program for d.o.b and heights?

Reply #872582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watched the SA girls clash...what a cracker!!

Reply #872583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TOT for me

GIRLS
07 Lehmann sg sa c
06 Bond sg qld n
06 Bobongie g/f qld n
06 Gardiner g/f sa m
06 Fuller pf qld s

Reply #872584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#583 Watched the SA girls clash...what a cracker!!

You are surely kidding? SA Country 32 turnovers to SA Metro 28 and they still won.

Great win for our girls, but realistically, in a full comp both teams finish out of the top 4

Holland showing why High Performance have moved her on. Did she play zone the entire disastrous 3rd quarter?

Reply #872611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#611 Turnovers as a result of pressure?! Both ways...lead to an edge of seat game. Doesn't have to be pure to be a cracker!

Why do we always go down the path of player x not that so it would be different, yeah maybe but every team could probably say the same thing…can only play against who is on court and who is on the team.

Yes ask why they are not there sure, but appreciate what those there are doing.

Reply #872616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep up the criticism of the SA girls, I'm sure the WA girls appreciate it. Metro didn’t deserve to win vs Tasmania yesterday and narrowly avoided having to play off for last place. However feel free to criticize the teams who have done better than them. SA proving to be leading the country in crazy parents!

Reply #872622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trying times but doesn't feel like a nationals. More like a weaker version of the SCC and ECC.
Good for those states that were able to attend but it also highlights some major issues with the HP pathways in some states.

Reply #872624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aus development of kids is horrible. Things need to change ASAP.
This is China/japan u12/u14 level if you watch those ,junior champs.

Reply #872625 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Pathetic by WA.

Reply #872626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Butler you need to give this Metro boys team a dressing down, they are absolutely embarrassing to watch.

Reply #872632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Butler!! Haha! His last Nationals coaching job he guided one of the best boys teams in SAs history to 8th!
Yes read that again, 8th PLACE.
BSA proceeded to reward him with the HP Mangers job!
He's exactly what’s wrong with the whole program
A bizzare little man masquerading as an expert
He isn’t dressing down anyone!

Reply #872633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mr Personality you mean

Reply #872634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If not Butler then who in the state could do better?

Reply #872635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#632 Or Country exposing what they know? All on court all play Metro League against each other, TBH they all look flat, true SA game even have 2 SA refs!

Reply #872636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sapwell...Williams…Jantke…Flynn…Matt Clarke
Butler runs around hiding behind his FIBA certificate, he's not a coaches bootlace
It used to be an honour and prestige to play for SA, now people are walking away en masse because of Butler and Alex Wright, that’s the truth.
The program is descending into irrelevance under his leadership.

Reply #872638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it true the metro boys coach has been reappointed?

Reply #872640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes

Reply #872641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a disgrace and heads should roll over that decision.
Alex Wrights results don’t stack up at club level, let alone state! Not to mention the amount of bad news that seems to surround him, where there’s smoke there’s fire, why don’t people want to play for you Alex?
His is like Scott Butler, unaccountable and untouchable because of his surname, BSA Boys club looks after them.

Reply #872643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where were you idiots when Alex medaled last trip with an underrated team

Reply #872644 | Report this post

Objection  
Years ago

What do you mean by U16 players not wanting to play for a coach ?

Correct me if wrong

The boy's coach
Coach Alex

Recently selected by BA as a developing coach

Must be doing something right

Reply #872645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on Country for beating a terrible metro team who just turned the ball over consistently and cant shoot. BSA HP program in general is below par and this just illustrates that Butler and his boys club are not up to it.

Reply #872646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Objection you missed the multiple references to the Boys Club. BA have no idea about coaching talent in each state. The State HP Managers make the recommendations.

Reply #872647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the go with Wright and under 16 Boys, he hasn’t moved from that age group and gender for years, thought coaches were meant to switch it up

Reply #872648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Byrne is the one who should feel hard done by.

Reply #872649 | Report this post

Objection  
Years ago

I picked up on the boys club comments which are clearly sour grapes

Reply #872654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or accurate. Anyone who has spent time around them or in HP knows it exists back to NG days.

Reply #872656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awesome effort from Alex Wright
No Vic No NSW and he leads his team to 6th
Give him another year!
SA Basketball don't ever change you are hilarious!

Reply #872657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wa m women coach clearly bias.
Very clear all tournament. Could have won or come alot closer in a few games with a more even minutes distribution.
You could even here it on the commentary.

Scraping a win over wa country in the last game.

Reply #872660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

638 some of those names are hilarious.
We can think what we want about Butler but some of those are not an upgrade.

Reply #872661 | Report this post

Left field  
Years ago

Adam Todd would be a good choice for U16 Boys State coach ?

Reply #872663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If a team of modtly bottomagers wins the chip, you know that basketballmaus is in real trouble

Reply #872664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can a team have 48 turnovers in a game that a turnover every 45 seconds. Nt girls should have to qualify.Embarrassing to watch

Reply #872665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

660 - you are right, clearly a favourite or 2 in that wa metro girls team.... badly coached all week, and behavior/attitude of 1 or 2 players was not pleasant to watch

Reply #872666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Out of this tournament I would doubt more than 2 kids make nbl and zero will be boomers history says this .

Reply #872667 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Great bronze medal to the Tassie boys, Jacob Furphy has had very solid tournament along with bottom age Nash Walker.

Tassie punching above it's weight.

Reply #872669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What might have the vic and nsw s5s looked like?
I see the rosters but who would have started.

Reply #872670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

About 6-7 Aussie reps within nsw/vic/act both boys n girls.
Not many from this tournament will make the leap to next years crocs/sapphires u17s(06) or 2024 crocs/sapphires(07) imo.

Reply #872673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Left field
Yes absolutely, Adam Todd would be a fantastic choice
Only problem he's got is John Wright isnt his dad.

Reply #872674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we could just interrupt the SA snipe-a-thon for a moment to acknowledge Tassie boys winning a medal. Well done to all involved, played really well across the tournament

Reply #872677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done to qld sth women's

Reply #872678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Mrs Todd ,

Reply #872679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie...well done, exceptional shooting especially 3's!

Reply #872680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quite sure Qld South would disagree with you #673. I'd expect the Vic teams would have all struggled even if they attended given how much basketball they've missed.

Reply #872683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly vic/nsw/act could have lost but in the long run they would be filling the majority of n.t positions in 2022/23/24.

I don't see more than 1 top age 06 player making the WC next year.

The following sapphires, the 2024 wc, 1 certainty and maybe 3-4 07s are a possibility.

Reply #872684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bobongie is a chance for n,t next year imo.
other 2006 born players likely come out of nsw c or vic m.
Majority of the team will be 2005.

Reply #872685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Coe have already chosen gray, Clark, Petrie and Juffermans. You can guarantee them a place already.

Reply #872686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure shooting 20% from 3 and 25% from 2 is great shooting scout

Reply #872695 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

What are you on about anon - 695?

You are mis quoting me.

I did not say anything about great shooting, said Tassie said they punched above their weight.

nothin about shooting mate !

Reply #872696 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

An anon getting confused by another anon.

Reply #872698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As someone from outside SA seeing the comments especially about the girls teams is crazy to me- they both won medals. Would they have been there if NSW and Vic were there who knows, maybe not, but you know what they did do beat the teams that they could beat that were at the tournament, which is all you can ask of them. Maybe trying being happy and proud of them.

Your SA country girls were an absolute pleasure to watch with definitely at least 1 star in the making there. For a completely undersized team they fought every second of every game, had huge desire, effort and hustle- something I wish some of my states teams would have. They also had 8 bottom agers which is huge to give them all experience at 16s ready to go again next year and I really hope they push to get up there again.

Reply #872703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

07/08 next years u16s

Should be much deeper talent wise both boys n girls.

Reply #872706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#703 well said!

Reply #872709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SAC girls played the best basketball of any SA team. Bright young coach by the looks. Should have a long career as a state coach.

Reply #872711 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:31 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754