Anonymous
Years ago

Josh Giddey Beast Mode Alert

Kid can flat out ball. Starter for the boomers.

18pts 8 rebs 7 asts 4 stls

Topic #49360 | Report this topic

Peter  
Years ago

Think it was 19 points anon.

Josh certainly comfortable at that level and should continue to go ok with more space and better athletes to pass to in NBA.

Looking forward to seeing his development and see how far he goes as he has good IQ, is very level headed and just keeps improving.

Good role model and can see why Ingles, Mills and the other Aussies over there will take him under their wing

Reply #874982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep 19 thanks Peter. Even better

Reply #874983 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Good on him.

Hope to see more.

Anyone know how much the Sixers or the NBL get paid for giving him up?

Reply #874985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

About tree fiddy

Reply #874986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Credit to him for sure - but also highlights defence in the NBA is often non-existent.

Put someone like a Damien martin on him when he was in his prime he would be lucky to contribute anything.

But NBA these days is drive to the hoop and the defence just steps back and lets you do it.

Reply #874987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Credit to him but NBA is a pathetic league. Put someone like Brendan Teys on him and he ain't doing shit.

Reply #874988 | Report this post

JT  
Years ago

Where's the absolute derp merchant that was whining about Giddey being pencilled in to the 2024 Olympic team

Reply #874991 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Peter,
"Josh certainly comfortable at that level and should continue to go ok with more space and better athletes to pass to in NBA."

Think of the shooters he must have around him, too. When he gets to know their systems and his team-mates better, who wants the ball when and where, he'll be racking up the assists. Already he's shown that he can, just need to do that every game and, if anything, let his boards, which have been unexpectedly good (as you already said, better athletes everywhere), bobble up and down.

Reply #874994 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I am not sure if I am the 'derp merchant' in question but I did want experience over potential at the Olympics. But I think with 20/20 hindsight, it's fair to say Giddey would've provided more than Sobey, Green at those games. Delly was always a lock for me with his experience. But I think we can say that yes, Giddey should have made that Boomers team, and he was very capable of contributing from the get-go.

Reply #874999 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Think of the shooters he must have around him, too"

OKC sucks tbh - Giddey will lose a lot of assists out of his team mates being no good

Reply #875004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly won't even make 23 WC or 24 olympics.

Reply #875006 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Rob T, you have a good point, with the extra space he will find the shooters in good spots easily, but they need to drop the shots.

They can get more shooters around him if needed and having good shooters around will make it easier for Josh to drive to the bucket where you would back him in to make good decisions.

Reply #875007 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I mean...did anyone say he would?

Reply #875008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's been better at the Thunder than what he was at the 36ers. Crazy stuff!

Reply #875011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl teams play defence, it's why he looks better in nba.

Reply #875014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No disrespect ME, but did you really need hindsight to come to the conclusion that giddey should've been on the team over sobey?

I get it was a cool story to go from not making the initial larger squad to making the team by playing amazing in the nbl, but Sobeys position in the team was a 3rd string pg playing 2 minutes a game.

It’s not like we depended on those minutes and it wasn’t like he was crucial to the team, so I think it was fine with thinking 'let’s take the guy whose gonna be the starting pg for the boomers for the next 12 years, compared to a guy who will never make a senior boomer side again when you consider giddey, exum, whatever is left of delly and any other up and comers.’

Sorry if this seems like I’m having a go at you but I’m genuinely curious how you or anyone else looks at a 3rd string spot and say ‘it is crucial we have the more ready player, rather than looking long term and at the kid with potential that far exceeds the guy at his peak currently.’

Naturally I view it as most rotations end up being 8-9 for the boomers anyway and it’s not like sobey is crucial so let’s take the young dude for experience.

Reply #875016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big LOL at whenever someone does well in the nba and there's always the 'nba no defence, nbl = intensity’ type of bullshit comments (if we continue to do this then let’s mention how the offence in the nbl sucks when in comparison to the nba).

Not taking into account, training with the boomers, summer league, preseason, still early days in the nba and no disrespect to the kid but while I think he’ll be really good it’s not like okc are trying to win games this season so they don’t give two shits about letting giddey and shai do what they want as their focus is on development first and foremost.

Reply #875017 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

It's fortunate that Giddey was drafted on a team that was willing to provide him with minutes, but it's not like they are being especially generous to Giddey given the talent on the rest of the team, or lack thereof. If anything, he is being underplayed as OKC want to offer other players minutes for an opportunity to develop, raise their trade stock, or consolidate their tanking strategy.

Reply #875019 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Almost the perfect scenario for him, really.
Plenty of opportunity without being so much that they burn him out.

Reply #875021 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Anon - Even as a 36ers fan who isn't surprised by what we are seeing from him at OKC, still didn’t expect him to make the Olympic team over Sobey.

They already had a youngster in Green in the team, but in major tournaments experience and the fit counts: Sobey was there for trap defence, shoot, fill in a few mins.

Giddey will be a starter on the next Boomers team that he plays for - dont worry about that!

Reply #875023 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

I agree, completely, Ket. This was a genuine chance for a 1st ever (men's)international, senior medal. Not, a chance to blood another potential Boomer. Had a guard gone down instead of Baynes, I would have had "more" faith in Sobey as the back-up than Giddey. Had we still been in "building", Giddey without a doubt.

IMO, the right call was made under the circumstances. With hindsight, dumb, dumb, dumb!

Reply #875032 | Report this post

Gazeee  
Years ago

Where are all the people on here saying he wouldn't get drafted in first round , and all the haters saying he will fail from game one ????

Reply #875033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET and RobT, I agree that at the time sobey was better, but is it really worth looking at the 3rd string pg and saying 'we need sobey'.

We didn’t win any games because of sobey and nor did we lose any, the entire time it was prayers over he wouldn’t completely fuck up out there.

At least with giddey being there it would’ve served a purpose long term, whereas sobey playing like 2-4 mins a game didn’t really effect anything at the tournament and nor will it provide anything longterm. so why not just give those minutes to giddey instead?

Reply #875042 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Its simply a question of insurance vs development. They went with insurance in Sobey. We didn't need him, fortunately, but not needing your insurance is not the same as not needing it.

Reply #875043 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Wow what a terrible sentence.

Should read more

"not needing to use your insurance is not the same as not needing to buy it"

Reply #875044 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Agreed with Cram - Insurance and fit - I think Goorj made it clear it wasn't Sobey or Giddey, it was Green or Giddey.

It’s easy to look with hindsight. Giddey will be fine - he’ll slot into the Boomers without trouble with or without Tokyo experience which addresses your main point. With him we wouldn’t have beaten USA, so it wouldn’t have furthered our cause anyway.

Very much a safe decision and the consequences of not taking the risk was a no harm no foul.

Reply #875049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How the hell is anyone arguing that Giddey wasn't better than Sobey at the time which is only 3 months ago? And in that time Giddey has gone from not getting selected for the Boomers to first round pick to starting in the NBA albeit on the worst team but being productive so far. Sobey was nothing more than the Damo Martin/Adam Gibson selections of the previous decade. An absolute farce.

Reply #875068 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think you're living in a binary world with the benefit of hindsight haha

Nothing farcical about the decision especially at the time.

Reply #875072 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

To answer the question "did I really think we needed an experienced player for 3rd string point guard". Well.. yes, I did. I take Olympic and World Cup seriously and I don't believe in "blooding" players during major tournaments.

HOWEVER I think we can see Giddey is better than Sobey as of right now, and it stands to reason he also would have been three months ago during the Olympics. I couldn't necessarily see that at the time but I see it now. Rather than being a project, Giddey could have provided something tangible and immediate, whereas Sobey looked mostly scared to do anything.

But it's hindsight. You dont know what you don't know. Sobey looked like a safer bet at that point, so that's what Goorjian went with, and they weren't penalized in any way for it.

As for Green vs. Giddey, well.. if we're talking about being ready 'right now', you'd lean towards Giddey again. But I think what Goorjian might have been doing is locking Green in as a sure thing for the future. Green may have been more disenfranchised if he was left out, ala Ben Simmons. Maybe Giddey's maturity was his undoing at that spot? Just spitballing here. But I struggle to see how Green could be more ready than Giddey if that is what the choice was. Green still seems especially raw to me.

Reply #875073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBA game, the FIBA game and the NBL game are all totally different. Please do not get the 3 mixed up or equitable because they are not.

Reply #875081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My personal standpoint is simply 'neither giddey or sobey would've provided anything at the tournament, so why not pick giddey as that at least serves some purpose for later on whereas sobey does neither for the short or long term.’

In regards to the notion of blooding, again I ask wasn’t sobey essentially being used in that role of playing 2-4 minutes a game, why couldn’t giddey have done that?

KET, yes we wouldn’t have beaten the US with giddey, but we didn’t beat them with sobey either so would we really have been worse off at the tournament with giddey getting those minutes?

Another thing I’d like to add is that regardless whether we approve of it or not I think it’d be best for the future to avoid another Simmons situation. So instead for those 11-12 man spots, take the the young dudes as all rotations end up being 8-9 for the boomers anyway so what’s the harm in taking a couple of young guys for experience. We always hear from all sorts of past boomers how valuable it is joining the program at very young ages and how it prepares you greatly so why don’t we listen to the guys that have been in that culture as opposed of taking a random nbl player or two who will provide the team nothing.

Reply #875095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I view the last couple of places on the roster as insurance. As nice as it is to use the spots as development and team bonding for the future I think the more important thing is what happens if someone goes down with a serious injury early in the tournament. You don't want to throw your chances out the window by having a totally unknown quantity in reserve. I think it would only have taken one minor FIBA tournament for Giddey to prove his worth and cement a spot in Tokyo but covid didn't allow it. But I don't think we should have any regrets just because we never needed to use our end of bench insurance.

Reply #875135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re the above post and unknown quantity and insurance, I understand what you're saying but Sobey was never providing anything more if a player went down. Other players workloads would've just went up such as exum, delly, Matisse.

ME, no-one is talking about in hindsight. It was clear at the time unless your traditional thinking clouds you and doesn't allow you to see what should've happened

Reply #875167 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

I don't mind Sobey getting the guernsey. Whilst I think Giddey would have been fine (but not significantly better), I reckon we needed to reward the hard yards that Sobey had put in over years to get there. I'll never forget the image of him being belted by that coward in the Phillipines, nor how shaken up he was by that.

Answering the call over a period of years has to be factored in when picking team, if only from a culture point of view. YMMV.

Reply #875171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddey will play in the next 3 Olympics baring injury. Was probably always going to be too risky to play as he was lottery bound.

Reply #875179 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:05 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754