Isaac
Years ago

Hawks-Breakers Blitz game cancelled due to COVID results

The upcoming #NBLBlitz game between Illawarra and New Zealand has been cancelled after four positive COVID test results were returned within the Breakers' traveling party.
I don't envy whoever has to deal with all this scheduling and related issues.

Topic #49461 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Isaac, it seems like something that should have been invented already - a completely (or in large part) algorithmic league schedule.

There really should be some kind of sports scheduling software around, maybe there is, like 'Schedule-o-matic' which has a bunch of inputs like number of teams, number of games per team in season, travel distance, state of event, number of states in competition, covid border restriction status for state, etc.

Good way to make a buck, that

Reply #877234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Manu it would be pointless. Too many variables that constantly change. There is for 2nd tier and below comps, but an automated program for the NBL would be too limited to be profitable for starters and also more work than a manual one in today's world.

Reply #877235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not to mention you have to factor in venue availability

Reply #877236 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I always found it a bit odd that NZB decided to relocate to Melbourne, Covid hot spot central rather than say Tassie. This was always going to happen sooner rather than later.

Reply #877237 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Damn this is bad news, what about the players of the other teams that NZ have played against like SEM?

Would they be at risk?

Reply #877238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep the Covid riddled teams out of Tassie!

Reply #877239 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I just read this: Link

Still think it could be automated, with the algorithm being re-run with new inputs

Reply #877242 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Yeah venue availability is just another variable to input

Reply #877243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dang. I was looking forward to this one. Breakers looks really balanced.

Reply #877245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully all who have got Covid are fine and vaccinated. Could be another eventful season, Europe going through 4th Covid spread.

Reply #877248 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Alost all Melbourne United players scored Coronas Virus at last season's start and swept all before them to win the title.

I'm putting money on New Zealand now. Corona does not fail.

Reply #877249 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

There really should be some kind of sports scheduling software around, maybe there is, like 'Schedule-o-matic' which has a bunch of inputs like number of teams, number of games per team in season, travel distance, state of event, number of states in competition, covid border restriction status for state, etc.

MLB outsource to a company specifically tasked in compiling their 162 game regular season schedule (which include three to four day stands at any one time) so you would assume they are running software like this.

Reply #877251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac,
current restrictions in tassie in numbers and wearing masks in venues.
As of last Friday, that restriction doesn't exist in Melbourne.

Reply #877265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No crowd for the affected game so masks irrelevant

Reply #877266 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Ah, good to know Perthworld.

Salivating at the prospect of a couple games tonight. Two days is too long

Reply #877290 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

With the new rules in Victoria, do Fully vaccinated close contacts still need to isolate for 7 days? Or is it just a negative test now required? I can't recall. The rules change too often!

Hopefully soon it's just a negative test, or even a rapid antigen test, and then games won't need to be cancelled in the season proper.

Reply #877300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just need a negative test result now if you're dbl vaxed

Reply #877378 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:22 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754