Spinner
Two years ago

No plays or screens for Dusty?

Melbourne United run a couple of set plays for CG using several screens to get him free to shoot. I don't understand why Sixers don’t do this for the man the brought in to shoot 3s in Dusty?

When Sixers do set screens, they are either to loose or they move and earn an offensive foul. Thoughts?

Topic #49694 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Two years ago

Commentators have talked about it during games, and I agree. I think he's probably not as good as expected overall, but at the same time it's hard to argue with the fact that Adelaide do not run a lot of stuff to get him open off the ball. I don't think his strength is with the ball in his hands trying to create based on what we've seen, which seems to be how he ends up needing to find his offense in the games to get going.

Reply #883645 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

The whole team is broken top to bottom so it doesn't surprise me that Dusty isn't being utilized properly.

He's an absolute non-presence on D. But offensively he can hit shots and should be encouraged to do just that. But that isn't happening. The rest of the team is putrid also so I hope no one reads too much into the win yesterday.

Reply #883665 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

You can't be serious... nothing to take from yesterday win. Firstly it was a win so you take 3 points...team moralle and confidence booster.. take down top team who on massive winners grinders street...just doesn't happen analyse the positive the what got the win elements...this is factual so bring to next contest and next contest... lemons dont just drop on the ground.. need to bloom and blossom... nurture.fertiler.. sixets are just beginning to bloom...let's keep pepping them along..

Reply #883669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Dude give up

Reply #883670 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Not gunna give up on sixers .. sweet as when win .. thanks mate I take the fist pump punch as vitual high five ...hi five back bro.. sharing the love..

Reply #883673 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

I enjoyed the win, but Dusty was horrible until the last shot and overtime. Just means we are stuck with him and Withers now, as if we weren't anyway.
Good win but doesn’t mean much unless it becomes a trend. And look out for when we play MU again, I’m sure CG is taking yesterday’s loss personally- he will never shoot that badly again.

Reply #883674 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two years ago

You're right Spinner. Its been a long-standing problem for the Sixers. Bairstow might be the first half-decent screen-setter we've had in 15 years! DJ has improved to just ok in the last couple of years, but its still nothing special. Sotto OMG, the guy almost takes off for the basket before he sets the screen!

Some of it is a failing of Joey Wright, because he either never wanted to run any significant screen action for shooters, or he was unable to teach his team to execute it properly.

Another reason would be that we haven't had a good shooter on the team for long enough to build familiarity with DJ or any other big, so that they can confidently read what each other is going to do in a pick and roll situation. Just getting reps on that with Dusty and DJ/ Bairstow would do the offence the world of good.

I think the key message here is continuity of coaching and core personnel is what is needed at the Sixers right now. CJ got his feet under the desk way too late to prepare our largely new team and it shows.

Its gonna be ANOTHER year making up the numbers. Gotta give CJ another full season after this and see if he is making progress. Hopefully he will have full control over next season's roster construction too. Starters are ok, but the entire bench is a liability so far this season.

Reply #883676 | Report this post

Spinner  
Two years ago

I'm putting the blame on coaches past and present for not running stuff for people brought in to shoot BUT the players have to take some responsibility also. They haven’t come from a social team playing jungle ball!

They have all come up through programs, developing skills and awareness to play as a professional. Surely they should know how to set a screen! How to defend the split line! How to follow in a shot to rebound! How to box out! How to rotate on defence. All basic stuff, but they aren’t showing it!

If the average person forgets or can’t execute basic skills of their trade, we would be shown the door. Doesn’t appear to be the case at the Sixers for both on and off court personnel??

Reply #883694 | Report this post

Sarge  
Two years ago

IMO best to give the ball to Hannahs cutting off a screen. Not so good when he has to create openings for himself off the dribble. Yesterday he was fresh and was able to beat the defense very well during OT but not so well in regulation.

They should also have set plays for Dech to get open threes.

Reply #883710 | Report this post

Gazee  
Two years ago

Beantown, that's probably the most informative , unbiased run down of the current Sixers issues , great work a hell of a lot better than a lot of the other emotion driven dribble

I too agree CJ needs a full season with his say on personal, but sadly I don’t see jvg or Kelly doing that

And I must say kotto has surprised me so far I expected end of bench 1-2 mins a game at most instead he’s proven better than that and is improving game by game but his maturity level is not there yet he plays like a over excited school boy at times but I like what he brings over say pinder from last year ,

And bairstow was worth the gamble , would have to be mvp fav for Sixers and maybe MIP or best 6th man

Reply #883722 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two years ago

Sarge, in an ideal world, our point guard would be the primary creator out of the pick n roll, but Mitch is not really quick enough. Dusty is actually the best ball-handler on the team by a long way and his best shot seems to be those runners around the key. For this team, I think Dusty should do more than just cut off screens and should be given plenty of opportunities to play pick n roll as a staple of the offence. That style is what Dusty has been successful with in the G league and its not like this team is ready to run any complex offence this season.

Reply #883735 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two years ago

Gazee, I'd love it if CJ just told Kai he isn’t allowed to jump on defence! The guy is 7’2, if he just holds his position with arms up, he’s going to make it difficult to shoot over him. If he could do that and just improve his positioning on D a little bit, his defence would improve a lot. Would be interesting if CJ could get them to play a zone with Kai in there too. That would protect him from getting burned on pick n roll coverage all the time.

Reply #883736 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:46 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754