Life is Basketball
Two years ago

Under 16 National Champs - Boys

See a thread covering girls so open one for the boys side of the court, go.

Topic #50247 | Report this topic

Anon  
Two years ago

Yeah it's over

Reply #895587 | Report this post

Retired  
Two years ago

Vic Metro wins and they had players to cover all positions and athletes who could play.

Beauchamp was especially strong all round.

Also coached by a very good and long serving Vic Coach.

Reply #895597 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Hard to tell who the best prospects are, usually have to wait until 18s before we see alot of talent seperation. Rosters always change sig if I angley from u16 to u18 in the boys.

Reply #895603 | Report this post

Hoopin’ in the burbs  
Two years ago

Beauchamp an absolute stand out in a very good state team.

Reply #895628 | Report this post

29AB  
Two years ago

Great tournament. Was great to see all the young and upcoming talent that Australia has to offer. Vic just looked too complete in the final.

Best of tournament had to be;
Beauchamp- Vic
Cotton- QLD Sth
Daniels- Vic C
Cheesman- Vic
Siwek- QLD Sth
Walker- Tas
Bucknell- WA
Mulot- WA
Mackenzie- SA
Brammel- Vic
Sewell- Vic
Yeboah- NSW
Foxwell- Vic

Reply #895762 | Report this post

benchballer  
Two years ago

@29AB think you are on the money, was lucky enough to watch a quite few games with no bias and then did some digging, and think I would add:

Accoom (QLD NORTH) solid numbers in lower ranked team
Hughes (SA Metro) good performer and really show some class mixing it in Vic Metro final
Lindner (SA Country) Very solid, looks like above average points against top 3 teams, solid coming from a lower ranked team

Beauchamp and Walker I liked a lot, one in a top team and the other in a lower team, wonder how some of the players in lower ranked teams would have gone with better players around them and set ups. Think that's why I liked Walker, Accom and Lindner as they had to work pretty hard for their rewards.

Not a lot of height coming out of this group though, or maybe just comparing to last years crop.

Reply #895774 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Still have to wait another year to see the bottom agers, hopefully some height amongst them.

Reply #895775 | Report this post

29AB  
Two years ago

@benchballer completely agree with the height. The MonSTARS from QLD South last year were huge.
The really long fella from NSW Metro this year is the only boy close to that sort of length, however was very raw in comparison to the other smaller centres in the competition this year.

Reply #895794 | Report this post

29AB  
Two years ago

@benchballer, who is your all-star 5 for the tournament?

I have

Guard- Cotton
Guard- Daniels
Wing- Mackenzie
Wing/Forward- Beauchamp
Centre- Sewell

Reply #895795 | Report this post

benchballer  
Two years ago

@29AB Looks pretty good, although I think Cheesman would be above Mackenzie and Daniels, he looked so super smooth, but not sure which one to choose for the 5. Foxwell too just lit up at times and gave Vic Metro some spark when needed.

Reply #895804 | Report this post

Kanga  
Two years ago

Vic Metro very strong. It showed that a number of them play a lot together, which can skew views.

As some general comments:

- Some of the shooting stats are superb. Others not so much.

- Won't call any players out here, because they are just kids who are developing, but worth looking through the stats at some of the high numbers of shots taken by individuals with average returns.

- Also, worth taking note of some teams that just cannot make 3s - those States need to work on that aspect (one team made 43 /200 3PAs).

- In this sort of comp, I would suggest 33% - 35% is v good, and anything above 35% is excellent (and there were some well above that, which is impressive).

- I’d also suggest having a look at the steels / turnover stats, particularly where there is disparity between the two. You will find that Vic Metro put on great pressure but also handled the ball well. As did the other strong teams.

- Vic Metro and also had a really good rate of assists - they passed the ball around well and got good looks at 3s as a consequence. On that front, Cheesman was excellent, and players like Foxwell benefited from really nice looks (and some great shooting by him!).

Reply #895805 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

NZ chosen side for upcoming u15 oceania tournament.

U15 team

Dov Silberstein, Wellington Basketball

Gus Dallow, Harbour Basketball

Hayden Jones, Nelson Basketball

Ihaka Cate, Canterbury Basketball

Jameer Reed, Harbour Basketball

Lachlan Crate, Basketball Manawatu

Liam Van Der Heyden, Waikato Country Basketball

Merrick Rillstone, Waikato Basketball

Oscar Goodman, New Plymouth Basketball

Troy Plumtree, Wellington Basketball

Cooper LePou, Waikato Basketball

James Matthews, Nelson Basketball

Reserves

Kobe Costley, Canterbury Basketball

Hunter Te Ratana, Counties-Manakau Basketball

Jackson Ball, Basketball Hawkes Bay

Mana Martin, Canterbury Basketball

Gift Nyonzima, Basketball Manawatu

Krisnan-Cole Ioane, Hutt Valley

Coaching & Staff

Leyton Haddleton - Head Coach

Brent Matehaere – Assistant Coach

Jason Crummer – Assistant Coach

Jeffrey Huang – Physio

Christina McMillan – Team Manager

Rory Laubscher – Team Doctor

Lots of speed in this side, will be interesting to see who we select and how we match up.

Reply #897608 | Report this post

XXXX  
Two years ago

When do we choose our teams?

Reply #897615 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Soon after they announce the new u17 sapphires/crocs coaches probably.

Reply #897617 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

More than 14 teams now in oceania so I believe other countries have to qualify first before making the tournament.

I'd say both boys n girls comps will have 8 teams, potentially 3 qualyfying for asia this time around.

Reply #897618 | Report this post

Ballsee  
Two years ago

Will they run trials ?or straight from nationals selection.
U15 coaches apps don't close til 22/8.
Guam Nov 22
Love ya posts

Reply #897620 | Report this post

XXXX  
Two years ago

It will be interesting to see how they go about it, there were some good players not at AJC's through no fault of their own.

Reply #897622 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

I'd say you’d need trials given the pool is pretty deep for 07/08, they did have trials in nz. Even Guam have trials soon.
Oceania though... so they may just watch ajc game tape or choose npp players.

Reply #897623 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

The commitment for successful applicants will include -
- Potential 3-day selection and preparation camp in September (dates to be advised)

Potential....

Reply #897624 | Report this post

Ballsee  
Two years ago

Invites are out...hearing stats don't count for the invitees from nationals !!!
Head coach not even choosing the squad !!

Reply #898097 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Yes, I know a few who got invited and was gobsmacked.
Doesn't look like the nationals performances were even looked at.

Reply #898098 | Report this post

Hmmm  
Two years ago

Where is invite list?

Reply #898115 | Report this post

XXXX  
Two years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing the list. If they have indeed taken no notice of the AJC's it won't be surprising, they haven't with any of the other teams!

Reply #898116 | Report this post

Ballsee  
Two years ago

its hiding apprenelty due to not wanting to enrage nationals parents at how ridiculous the invite list is.
what a JOKE...
im hoping someone like weedy slug just drops it from somewhere..;)

Reply #898117 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

I don't have the full list, just hoping it’s long...
A nation of our size should be having a minimum 24 players for the first camp imo.

The recent u18 asia camps for boys n girls had only about 6-7 players on top of the the Coe team, didn’t involve many nbl1 players outside Coe nor did they wait for the school sport state champs to finish. When the teams were selected, only 2 outside of the Coe made it.

Reply #898118 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Officially announced names for u15 oceanias camp

NSW

Boys
B.Yeoboah 07
S.Blain 07
H.Lau 07
A.Pech 07
G.Markovtzev 07
L.Clague 07

Girls
R.Perkins 07
J.Hall 07
L.Mead 07
F.Bijkerk 07
K.Juffermans 08
Z.Jackson 07
J.Crook 07
E.Mcrea 07

Reply #898426 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

TAS

Boys
N.Walker 07
J.Hay 07

Reply #898427 | Report this post

XXXX  
Two years ago

It's a not very well kept secret which Vic kids were invited, its a bit strange they haven't released them publicly given its being held next week.

Reply #898431 | Report this post

Life is Basketball  
Two years ago

Do you know who the coach is Weedy, squad picked before the coach picked?

Reply #898446 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

I know the lists of wa, sa, vic, act. Qld dunno.
No idea who the coaches or assistants are

Reply #898448 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

SA

Boys
O.McGuire 07
McKenzie 07
S.Hughes 07
D.Manyang 07

Girls
S.Lehmann 07
K.Thompson 07
A.Crase 08

Reply #898473 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

WA

Boys
Gashaw 07
Bucknell 07

Girls
Fotu 07
Smart 07

Reply #898645 | Report this post

Interpreter  
Two years ago

U15 camp invites sorted by AJC placement - based on those that have been announced:

Boys
Vic Metro -
QLD South -
WA Metro - 2
SA Metro - 3
NSW Metro - 5
VIC Country -
TAS - 2
SA Country - 1
NSW Country - 1
ACT -
QLD North -
WA Country - 0
NT -

Girls
NSW Metro - 5
SA Metro - 1
Vic Metro -
Vic Country -
QLD South -
SA Country - 2
TAS - 0
WA Country - 1
NSW Country - 3
QLD North -
WA Metro - 1
ACT -
NT -

Despite underwhelming results at AJCs: NSW Metro Boys with 5 (5th) and NSW Country Girls with 3 (9th).

SA Metro Girls with 1 invite (2nd), which probably means Vic Metro (3rd) and QLD South (5th) will be disproportionately represented.

Reply #898648 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Quite a few names Missing I reckon, quite a few head scratchers and a couple of not invited because of...

Reply #898649 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Qld girls south 4, nth 2

Reply #898650 | Report this post

Interpreter  
Two years ago

Since ACT Girls had a standout, I'm guessing it looks like:

NSW Metro - 5
SA Metro - 1
Vic Metro - 3
Vic Country - 1
QLD South - 4
SA Country - 2
TAS - 0
WA Country - 1
NSW Country - 3
QLD North - 2
WA Metro - 1
ACT - 1
NT - 0

Supports my theory that SA Metro, Vic Country, Tassie and WA Country exceeded expectations.

Reply #898651 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Imo, final side chosen

Girls(12+3R)

NSW Metro - 4 - Perkins, Hall, Bijkerk, Jackson
Vic Metro - 3 - Dakic, Nousis, Fagan
Qld South - 2 - Seumanutafa, Hanson
Vic Country - 1 - Taylor
SA Country - 1 - Lehmann
WA Country - 1 - Fotu
NSW Country - 1 - Crook
QLD North - 1- Francis
ACT - 1 - Russell

Others, not selected
1 from sa m, 1 from wa c and 1 from qld s could in the future push others out next year, I'm guessing that they would have to play nationals or be available for camps to do so

Reply #898652 | Report this post

XXXX  
Two years ago

I expect there will be more than 3 pushed out. There are some pretty unlucky SA Metro kids. They chose the 3 best performed Vic Metro girls from AJC's but there are some really good Vic girls that didn't get to show what they are capable of, including a number that were inexplicably left out.

Reply #898658 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Like who

Reply #898660 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Two years ago

Hodges for SA Metro girls is pretty unlucky. Was the most consistent contributor for them on both ends across the tournament I thought

Reply #898663 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Yeah should be there, entwistle also deserve a spot but don't think any making final 12

Reply #898664 | Report this post

Ballsee  
Two years ago

@weedyslug
Quite a few that ranked in the top 20.
That's should missed out
So how do selectors do the selections
Unsure who picked them!!! But it want on performance And that’s being polite!!
Hodges was ripped off!!

Reply #898669 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Quite a few missed out

Dimarco
Baker
Mccowan
Hearn
Hodges
De Dios
Bond
Notoa*
Corasaniti
Reisinger
Cougle
Aherne
Entwistle
Hampton
Somfai*
Schwarz*
Mailei

Reply #898670 | Report this post

XXXX  
Two years ago

Vic Metro girls who are a lot better than thy showed at AJC:

Shannahan
Maganini

Both have been consistently very good other than AJC's. Maganini held together a Melbourne team that had terrible luck with injuries and was probably the second best performed team in VC throughout the season. Shanahan was less consistent, but she has blown a number of games apart. Her 3-point shooting is really good but wasn't displayed at all in AJC's.

Vic Girls not at the combine that outperformed most of the State team in VJBL:

Hamilton - arguably the best player at Nunawading who will likely win VC, 6th highest scorer in VC
Courts - best player for Keilor who made the semi finals, 5th highest scorer in VC and 3rd most 3's
Perry - from Dandenong, highest scorer in VC
Kumbara - floor general for Dandenong and equal most made 3's in VC with Perry

Agnew from Melbourne was injured all season but would have been at AJC's otherwise. She's in NPP so will be looked at next year barring further injury.

All those girls are good enough to be in Canberra at the moment.

Reply #898673 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

No doubt some of those should be in the extended squad but realistically who would they push out of the final 12. I'm all for giving players a shot in camp but the guard depth is pretty stacked already.
The only wtf for me who actually attended ajcs and didn’t make it is Corasaniti.
But given so many players are elite at other sports, could be timing/schedule issue. No idea.

Just in this 24 player sqvuad selection, they have 6-7 girls playing elite level in another sport and will have to choose in the future, Afl, netball, rugby, athletics etc
on top of that quite a few have dual citizenship.
Serbian, Hungarian, Samoan, Kiwi, U.K, I’m sure others

Ivanovich another Victorian that didn’t make ajcs made the Serbian u16 team I noticed.
Lots of other nations look to Aus and try to persuade them early. Something that’ll become increasingly common.
Girl in college atm sort after by GB.

Reply #898678 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Two years ago

Weedy, in the case of Somfai, is she not considered because she did not play AJC?
If so, seems like the perfect way to lose her from the Australian national team given her heritage. If she's not already lost that is

Reply #898679 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Not sure on the situation, could be another country, missing ajcs, ineligibility.
I'm from vic/wa so I don’t really have any insight, all I know is, she’s npp, playing up an age who was selected last year and skipped this year.
Someone from sa circle would know more.

Reply #898682 | Report this post

XXXX  
Two years ago

I think Hall is the only certainty of the guards (I don't consider Lehman to be a guard). Agnew, Perry and Kumbara are the equal of any guards in the squad and all are very good 3 point shooters which would give them a point of difference to the guards that are there. I think any one of them would be a chance of making the 12 given the opportunity.

The others I mentioned are not guards.

Reply #898684 | Report this post

XXXX  
Two years ago

Hickey from Hawthorn is in the NZ team. She was at the Combine for Vic Metro but didn't make the team, I think Ivanovich was in the same situation.

Reply #898685 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Perkins - most well rounded pg
Fotu - elite passer, high iq, crafty
Hall - elite speed, elite scorer, elite defender
Seumanutafa - elite scorer, above avg ball handling for age
Dakic - elite defender

Lehmann probably could be pushed out but she's already been in the Aus program for 2 years, was in gems camp and nba global. Good passer in tight spaces, can’t shoot though, not a good defender and doesn’t have the ball security of Fotu or Perkins

Agnew probably a mix of Perkins and dakic has the best chance. Still injured though.

Reply #898686 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Or should I say not 100%

Reply #898687 | Report this post

XXXX  
Two years ago

Agnew played in Melbourne's last final so she's ready to go now. She will push for selection next year I would expect, apart from already being in the National program I don't see why she's a better chance than the others mentioned though. They are all look pretty good. Hopefully BV give all the kids mentioned an opportunity to press their claims at the ECC, assuming it will run again next year.

Reply #898692 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

This girls group has great potential, not just in oceania or asia but at the WC in 2024. Many opals will come out of this lot.

Reply #898694 | Report this post

Hmmm  
Two years ago

No DiMarco (VC) is ridiculous, in every aspect of the game is worthy of a place at the trial. Carried VC team (especially after Taylor injury)
She made those around her better, and stand taller with her leadership.

Reply #898700 | Report this post

Life is Basketball  
Two years ago

Re @Hmmm
Unfortunately while making one's team mates better and showing leadership is a valued attribute all players should strive for, it does not necessarily equate to selection sadly.

Reply #898760 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:27 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754