Pat Bev
Two years ago

Was JVG fired or left to manage Giddey?

I was under the impression JVG left his role at the 36ere's to focus on managing Giddey/Daniels Australian affairs. Was he fired?

Topic #50275 | Report this topic

Uncle Dre  
Two years ago

If he advised he left to manage Giddey ... then he was probably fired. Had gift of gab, but not gift of truth

Reply #896099 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Two years ago

Olgun manages Giddey JVG got fired

Reply #896105 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Two years ago

JVG wanted a job for a basketball club where he got to select all the players for the team, and did not have to coach that team. He actually got his wish.
He extended Humphries contract as a Marquee Player [one of the highest paid players in the country] after presumably organising a physical for him. Humphries then barely played.
If I was the owner I would not have been very happy about that.
But I am only guessing. There are other things that I could guess at regarding promises made that Conner Henry refused to keep, but then again I would only be guessing.

Reply #896108 | Report this post

Pat Bev  
Two years ago

yeah he seems like a nice lad, can't find any online presence for him thou! he is like a ghost now

Reply #896110 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

It's not difficult to work out what happened. JVG signed Humphries to a 2 year deal the second year a mutual option said to have been for $400k a year. He had the bright start but ultimately injury riddled first season and was selected for the Olympic squad pulled out injured.

His mutual option should never have been picked up if he was still injured at the end of the season with signs it was going to drag on through the off-season and into the following season when he only played 6 games. When that season ending announcement came JVG 'resigned' about a week later.

Reply #896116 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

JVG is a nice guy though. I met him during the NBL Cup. He has great knowledge of the old days in the NBL which was good listening too.

Reply #896122 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Two years ago

I just listened to the last interview JVG did back on the 22nd Feb about his reasons for leaving. Really really good interview available on player.whhoshkaa.com.
JVG spoke really well.

Reply #896127 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Two years ago

oops i meant whooshkaa. best just to google whooshkaa Jeff Van Groningen

Reply #896128 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

JVG has always spoken really well, that's the problem. He could sell ice to eskimos. He's always talked a big game but then severely under delivers, his last two NBL GM gigs running the Kings & 36ers were disastrous.

Reply #896144 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

He certainly didn't do gazey any favours, his team selections were never balanced. I always thought gaze could have done better, he knows his stuff.

Reply #896146 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two years ago

Quite the pattern follows him around. The stories out of Brisbane where unbelievable.

Reply #896180 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:27 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754