Aussie
Two years ago

Franks to play in Adelaide

This from the CEO:

The NBL23 season is not too far away, and the excitement is building 36ers family.

This week, we welcomed new import Craig Randall II to Adelaide. Craig has hit the ground running and is excited for the upcoming campaign.

We also look forward to the arrival of Robert Franks, who will be in Adelaide shortly to join his new teammates.

Topic #50361 | Report this topic

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Never thought he would not turn up, total media BS imo. Players do have out clauses but smart clubs make these highly expensive to try and ward of suitors.

Reply #897725 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Two years ago

Once again old mate santa off the mark

Reply #897726 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Stopped listening to Santa season ago, get more sense out of homicide.

Reply #897727 | Report this post

Observer  
Two years ago

Wait til we see the guy off the plane at Adelaide airport.CEO said he be here soon ...no date
Mystery

Reply #897728 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

If he plays, 36ers will be looking damn fine!

Reply #897729 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Two years ago

Observer that's a pretty bad observation if the ceo sends a member email or whatever it was saying he will be in Adelaide shorty after rumours you would think it wouldn’t be a lie?

Reply #897730 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Two years ago

A week ago CJ couldn't confirm Franks would still turn up so the rumors may have been close to being correct.

If so, just how motivated might Franks be to play if a more lucrative contract is on the table. He might be happy to be sacked by the Sixers in the first few weeks of the competition.

Reply #897731 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I wouldn't get too excited just yet. Franks posted a pic of himself in flight a few days ago with a Turkish language setting on the menu on the screen in front of him, may have been having a bit of fun with it but he should've already arrived in Adelaide it doesn't take 2-3 days to get here.

If he had arrived in Adelaide by now the media would be all over it so he still hasn't turned up and was meant to have arrived on Sunday the 7th. It's been nearly two weeks since then which the Sixers initially blamed on "travel delays" so they're clearly not adverse to spinning BS which this new statement likely is too.

Reply #897733 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

A day or two ago he was in a plane watching something with Turkish writing on it. He's definitely getting a lot of frequent flyer miles in whatever he's doing. But I don't take the CEO's word as gospel - maybe wishful thinking that hopefully they're able to come to a compromise. Until Franks himself says it or we see him land in Adelaide airport I don't think he's coming to Adelaide.

Reply #897734 | Report this post

Dave  
Two years ago

He posted a Tweet about having an emotional week and thinks not going to plan.

I'm thinking he had a Euro offer fall through and confirmed that he will be in Adelaide this season now?

Would seem to line up with the rumours and social media activity.

Reply #897735 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two years ago

Santamaria works in NBL HQ and sees all the contracts. He would know a lot about what is going on.

Reply #897736 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

He wouldn't see the contracts. He does have good intel. IIRC he hasn't said Franks is going elsewhere, just that he has a Euro clause.

Reply #897737 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Exactly Santa sees all the contracts and hears all the talk from the agents. Once he and Cam Luke decided to go public with this 'leak' it meant Franks was never coming to Adelaide and all we've likely been witnessing since then is the negotiations on the buy out which the Sixers are still doing publicly here trying to keep their hand strong.

Reply #897738 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Euro league teams have money, 18 of them in euro league, but as I said if Sixers had a high pay out figure those teams might balk on that.

Reply #897739 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

No way would commentators see players contracts, that's private business and I’d say players could sue the league if leaked, yes agents could leek information but again that’s BS half the time.

Reply #897740 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

No doubt he would Santa works for the NBL as head of their in-house media department he's hardly just a commentator, every 'leak' he's given authority to make public is gospel for that reason.

Reply #897741 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

I don't think anyone truly knows what's going on do they? This is whole Franks situation is quite bizarre. There is nothing unusual about a sports organisation denying something they know is true. Especially around the time they're trying to sell season tickets etc.

And just because this may or may not eventuate, it doesn't mean journalists are wrong based on what they thought might happen at the time. No one has ever said Franks leaving was a shoe in, and if it hasn't turned out the way many expected, I don't think it is fair to say that so and so was wrong, even if it were technically true to say so. There is clearly some truth in Franks having Euro interest, and it appears as if it may have not worked out for him if his social media posts are anything to go by.

Reply #897744 | Report this post

Kings  
Two years ago

His Turkish deal fell through. Good for Sixers and him imo. Turkey is a shithole.

Reply #897745 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

If he's going public with a story, it means he's heard it independently from the league or has had approval from a superior to publish it. He'd know far, far more info than he puts out as content, including accurate-enough salary numbers.

Word spreads in the league insanely fast. Almost nothing stays completely quiet, including contract figures. He wouldn't need to go through league filing cabinets to hear that sort of thing.

If it's a steal of a contract or a high number, people can't resist talking about it.

Reply #897746 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Turkeys is a great basketball league and a good place to play out off. Some punters have no idea.

Reply #897750 | Report this post

Rod Grizzard fan  
Two years ago

Franks is 1000% coming to Adelaide now, check his Twitter

Reply #897754 | Report this post

Kings  
Two years ago

Dunkman, oh so you have been to Turkey? My brother in law lived in Turkey for 3 years, being a foreigner he was treated disgustingly. Not to mention the hatred the country has for those with Greek heritage... he is Italian and was still treated like garbage by locals and even authorities.

Reply #897766 | Report this post

An1234  
Two years ago

My 36ers getting it done this year! excited for this one.

Reply #897796 | Report this post

Magpie Murray  
Two years ago

Franks arrived in Adelaide last night

Reply #897821 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

All I can think of is Jim Carrey in the Cable Guy:

"WELLLLL look who decided to SHOW!"

Reply #897822 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Thankfully the Russian team withdrew their offer due to his ankle injury, crisis averted.

Reply #897823 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Russia is banned from euro competitions.

Reply #897824 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two years ago

36ers "Lost " Casper Ware to Russia though

Reply #897827 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Casper was in Russia before all the 36ers rumours started and before the war started. Lol. He's still playing there, they just have been band from euro competitions, from mid point last season.

Reply #897829 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Banned, auto correct

Reply #897830 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Nobody concerned by the injury?

Reply #897833 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two years ago

The article said it was an ankle injury during Summer League, so that's about 6 weeks ago. Shouldn’t be an issue now.

Reply #897840 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:04 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754