Unicorn
Two years ago

NBL1 Central GF Sold Out - Why BSA?

I have been going to the majority of my teams games this year and super excited to now go to the Grand Final.
I now find that I can't go as the complete allocation of tickets were sold out in 30 minutes!
4 teams playing with a combined 4,000 playing members (not to mention Life Members) and each teams were allocated 250 tickets each?
BSA you're a joke, always was and always will be.

Topic #50389 | Report this topic

SabreTooth  
Two years ago

An absolute joke. Basketball in this state is being run into the ground by an incompetent administration.

Unfortunately like a particularly stubborn turd they are proving to be very difficult to get rid of.

Top down that joint needs a clean out. Don't stop with the competition side either, run the broom through HP too.

Reply #898050 | Report this post

+  
Two years ago

selling out so quick a clear sign that a bigger venue would have been good - is it too late to change it ?

Reply #898052 | Report this post

Was15  
Two years ago

SabreTooth, and don't forget district junior basketball. Does the Competitions Committee have say over strategy or are they just a toothless tiger

Reply #898060 | Report this post

+  
Two years ago

I've been to several previous ABL GFs and total crowd at the Powerhouse was IMO usually between 1,500 and 2,500 - often depended on how many clubs were involved - on a big night the lower level seating on each courtside mainly filled but basket ends were light on except if the teams cheers squad got down the basket end.

Reply #898065 | Report this post

Armageddon  
Two years ago

There's quite a difference between 7500 capacity od the arena and 1200 at lights view.

Hopefully won't be an issue going forward if BSA get enough seating at the wayville extension

Reply #898067 | Report this post

GF22  
Two years ago

My understanding is that the Arena had been booked for over a year so wasn't available. The decision to ticket each game separately at The Light was to maximise the number of attendees (2,400 vs 1,200) as there would be percentage of people who wouldn't want to attend both games - not an ideal situation but at least they lowered the cost of the ticket

Reply #898068 | Report this post

Life is Basketball  
Two years ago

If the arena had been booked for a year, why wasn't the NBL1 GF date changed before the season started, other games are changed from week to week, so 12 months planning surely would have worked? Maybe as a sign of good faith all junior got free entry, considering the last year or so of confusion with their schedules?

Reply #898069 | Report this post

Esky68  
Two years ago

current bsa management needs to be completely sacked for more reasons than this one

Reply #898070 | Report this post

Two years ago

'Hopefully won't be an issue going forward if BSA get enough seating at the wayville extension'

Will still be an issue won't it? Wayville closed and unavailable due to the Royal Show? for how many weeks?

Reply #898071 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Two years ago

GF22 busy putting out fires down there at the House of Basketball

Reply #898072 | Report this post

Threat  
Two years ago

Even by BSA's (very low) standards, this is a debacle, but hardly surprising.

Reply #898083 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

Was the entertainment centre unavailable as well? Perhaps the poor old liberals election promise of a new basketball arena was valid.
But the unavailability of the Powerhouse is pretty amateurish. Even as a last resort they could have held games on a Sunday if it was available then.
Problem with BSA is that the lunatics are running the asylum.

Reply #898086 | Report this post

JCK98  
Two years ago

The Entertainment Centre has some Motorcross thing on, doubt Basketball SA would be able to afford to hire it anyway. The Riverbank Arena would be the same (if built already, instead of 2028) as it would've replaced the Entertainment Centre.

Was some good politicing by Labor that should've been countered by anyone to tie that to only basketball and comparing it to ambulance ramping somehow.

Reply #898087 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

What is on at the Dome ? Anyone know.. why rices dropped if such demand. Surely gd opportune to.make so money and filter to grass roots.

Reply #898090 | Report this post

Armageddon  
Two years ago

Filter to grass roots!!!

First time for everything I guess.

Grassroots pays for everything. Even WNBL players clinic's when BSA don't even own the team anymore.

Reply #898092 | Report this post

McBlurter  
Two years ago

NBL1 West is $27 for adults and $15 for children.

Family of 4 is $17.25 each

Reply #898093 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Two years ago

My understanding is that the 36ers Arena actually WAS tentatively booked by BSA for the NBL1 Grand Final this weekend.

When the Arena received another enquiry for the same date, BSA were contacted and didn't go ahead with the booking for some reason.

Now if this is actually factual, then heads should roll.

Reply #898099 | Report this post

Armageddon  
Two years ago

It was booked. For last weekend or next weekend not 100$ sure I'm told.

When the Nationals date was set BSA changed the dates and forgot to change their booking. Arena worked around their date but by the time they wanted to change it was too late.

Just what I was told but give the shambles that is that administration it's not hard to believe.

Reply #898100 | Report this post

Unicorn  
Two years ago

Could it be this simple...

Play the Women's Final at Lightsview.

Play the Men's Final at St Clair

Reply #898109 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Two years ago

St Clair would have been a better venue given the space behind the baseline on the western side provides room for more stands. Having two separate venues doesn't solve the issue of people wanting to watch both games though.

Reply #898110 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Two years ago

Play one Saturday night and the other Sunday afternoon.

Reply #898111 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

St clair and bring in some portable seating like old days at wayville... be fantastic to rock some eagle rock and stomp on real wood and rattle ... three squirrels and a bull frog.

Reply #898112 | Report this post

Fun coolers  
Two years ago

St Clair only has a capacity of 1000 due to fire regulations , the walls are all wooden panels , not enough exits for more than 1000

Reply #898114 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Two years ago

Lots of censorship going on on the BSA Facebook page. Just ignore problems, perhaps they'll go away.

Next issue up will be the countless families that lose money on World Cup tickets, flights, hotels etc or miss a grand final due to their boneheaded scheduling. Fingers will go in the ears again.

It's like Fawlty Towers, just not funny.

Reply #898119 | Report this post

Life is Basketball  
Two years ago

Not sure why they censoring, basic rules of Social media are you don't delete posts unless they are defamatory, offensive, spam and some say too political, other wise accept the negative and the positive. The posts look a bit rushed really, no date mentioned, no teams mentioned, no door opening times mentioned...anyway sure they will learn

Reply #898120 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

The South GF is to be held in Melbourne this weekend with NO MELBOURNE teams in it FFS. NBL1 are a joke in this regard. Finish top of the ladder and no home final!

Reply #898123 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Do any NBL1 teams get home grand finals? Sounds like Central always plays at the Powerhouse (usually). West is always at Bendat.

Reply #898124 | Report this post

McBlurter  
Two years ago

You sort of preempt these things, and I would suspect NBL1 level GF's requires neutral fans, i.e the real die hard basketball community.

I look at NBL1 West. It looked like a Geraldton-Rockingham final by round 17. I asked if they were home gf's, or neutral venue. I didn't fancy driving 5+ hours to Geraldton for a final.

I would suspect very few Rockingham fans would drive to Geraldton, let alone the fans of the other 12 non-Geraldton sides.

Alas, it's as a neutral venue. I would suspect BWA appreciates this, and to fill Bendat requires a lot of neutrals... the bonus being 2,000 extra seats compared to Geraldton's home court, and the price at +$10 per ticket, compared to regular season home games.

This would give BWA a sizable chunk of it's year round revenue. I'd be saying in the vicinity of +$40,000, so another wage.

If anything is folly, it's allowing a Tasmania team and SA team into their comp. Why isn't Mt Gambier in NBL1 Central? I mean how many Victorian fans are going to travel interstate for an NBL1 game?

Reply #898125 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

The grand final also requires decent facilities. Imagine having a grand final at Kalamunda, where there are no seats, just bleachers. Capacity is a few hundred. Changing rooms are on the other side of the stadium.

Joondalup, Perry Lakes, and Warwick are the only clubs with home venues that are up to a grand final-hosting standard, I would say (excluding Geraldton and Goldfields as I've never been to either).

Reply #898129 | Report this post

JustWannaHoop  
Two years ago

It's a sad day in basketball when this SXXX fest has surfaced. There are lots of rumors going around about what happened with the facility. Another one is both Titanium and Lights put in a bid to get the GF's. Titanium up their price so high BSA rejected it - Titanium did this because they have a hatred for BSA and they don't want anything to do with them anymore hence why they only want to deal with clubs directly.

Lights was the only venue next in line big enough to handle a GF right now 1,200. BSA originally put out the prices at a minimum of $50 per person - no kid prices or family tickets. That's $60,000 per game x 2 = $120,000 - even if expenses were $20,000 they were going to walk away with at least $100K. There was such an uproar that $50 per game was ridiculous as it's free on Kayo and it's actually cheaper to go watch a 36ers game put the nail in the coffin.

If they had it at Titanium - advertised it correctly to get not only local club members to attend but 36er fans as well - you would have 4,000 or maybe up to 5,000 fans - and at $25 per pop that would be $100,000 or more which would offset the expense of the Arena. You have 4 different clubs in the Grand Final and it wouldn't be hard to get them all to get at least 1,000 people in at the right price. Then the Arena could do their food and drinks and make money on that - have a double header so everyone can watch 2 games which is a great deal - great family night out for all. You know the big names will be out to watch and kids can get autographs, pictures, etc.

It's just supposed to be good business sense to run the operation correctly, then they would be making a profit and make all of us happy for a change. When is someone going to actually step up and address this to all of us that pay our fees to BSA?

If people in BSA aren't jumping ship - they are being fired for misconduct. It's just sad.

Reply #898154 | Report this post

Armageddon  
Two years ago

That is the biggest load of nonsense posted on here in a long time.

And that's saying something

Not one word of that is true.

Also it's 36ers Arena now.

Reply #898156 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Aren't tickets 25 smackers...I am not great with maths but seems costly exercise

Reply #898164 | Report this post

Grote 12  
Two years ago

looking online doesn't look like there is any events on at the "Adelaide 36ers Arena" this weekend... why would they be against hiring out to BSA? businesses like money. i doubt BSAs incompetents is why they would say no...

With that said basketball currently in a huge peak of popularity and they are doing nothing to grow the sport, it even at sometimes feels like they are trying to reduce the sport and experience people have.

This is arguably the worst form of BSA South Aussies have seen in 22 years.

Reply #898182 | Report this post

GF22  
Two years ago

I was told that there is an Indian festival for this weekend at the 36ers Arena that was booked last year

Reply #898184 | Report this post

Was15  
Two years ago

Well thank goodness there is something on at the Arena Saturday night as I can't find a scalper to buy a ticket from for the GF. Nite I can go out and experience Indian culture!

Reply #898186 | Report this post

+  
Two years ago

West and Woodville looking very ominous leading into the weekend.

West by 20 and Woodville by 6.

Reply #898208 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:29 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754