Kas
Two years ago

David Barlow retires

Melbourne United foundation player and club legend David Barlow has today announced his retirement, with the 20-year pro set to enter the club's coaching staff.

The decision comes after spending the better part of two decades as one of Australia's premier basketball players, cashing threes and winning championships across the globe.

From the entire Melbourne United organisation, we would like to thank and congratulate Dave on a tremendous playing career and all the amazing moments he helped create, while eagerly anticipating what new memories he will manufacture as a coach.

Topic #50396 | Report this topic

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

Great career, lots of success.

Wish him the best of luck in the next phase of this career.

Reply #898185 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Followed him from when he was a junior, always generous with his time, a wry sense of humour. Fantastic career and well done, five championships, Australian representation, in the top group of players.

Reply #898187 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Solid career. A few Olympics and World Cups to his name. Was able to get it done from the three for much of the back half of his time. Physically probably had more in the tank but the form was going downhill. One of the solid role players we've had in the league and in a Boomers jersey.

Reply #898190 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

I'll miss David Barlow. Loved when he played for the Melbourne Tigers.

I remember Barlow’s game against the Breakers.

37pts on perfect shooting - 14/14 FG (including 8/8 3P) and 1/1 FT.

Reply #898191 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

Such a great contributor to Aussie bb. I always felt he wasn't appreciated enough.

Reply #898196 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I remember Barlow's game against the Breakers.

37pts on perfect shooting - 14/14 FG (including 8/8 3P) and 1/1 FT.

The Perfect Game.

Usually I'm the one to post these because no one remembers the history of the NBL.

Reply #898198 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Two years ago

Plenty of us old buggers around PW still remember plenty of NBL history.

Fantastic career from Barlow. Certainly got the maximum out of himself and busted his backside every week.

Reply #898203 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Yeah Barlow has been great everywhere he went. Knew his role and played it well.

The only time he really fell down was when Westover tried to make him a point guard mid season because he "likes to dribble"

Reply #898205 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Two years ago

Gotta feeling he went perfect game for the Boomers, also.

Reply #898206 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Tigers/United legend

I was there for the perfect game

Yes, he started the 08/09 season as a PG, before they brought in Luke Kendall mid season to partner Nathan Crosswell at Point Guard, is my recollection

It didnt work but through his career he transitioned from a wing to a 4 man, but with the way modern basketball is played, if you can shoot the 3 ball and defend almost anyone as he could, then you'll find a spot on any team

Reply #898207 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Plenty of us old buggers around PW still remember plenty of NBL history.

I love your late 80s Wildcats tidbits.

Reply #898223 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

I saw Dave as a junior, he legit had "and 1" style handles and played PG

I figure that was what Westover was trying to tap into that...

Dave's been playing in the preseason so wouldn’t be surprised to see him as an injury replacement but either way a legend of Aussie basketball

Reply #898230 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Congrats to Barlon on an outstanding career.

Reply #898245 | Report this post

Pat Bev  
Two years ago

but he has been laying preseason, so is he retired or not?

Reply #898599 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Just making up numbers I'm pretty sure.

Reply #898607 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Barlow's back!

Bit surprised tbh- he couldn't hit a 3 ball last season after being an elite spot up shooter for 15 years, and I figured it was certainly his curtain call.

Guess he's returning more for veteran leadership and will only play sparingly.

Reply #898812 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Two years ago

Training and injury fodder.

Reply #898814 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Well that retirement lasted about as long as Mal Meninga's political career.

Reply #898820 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:50 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754