Camel 31
Two years ago

36ers v Hawks

Expecting improvement by 36ers. If not, then it is Hawks win.
Crowd number will be interesting, maybe 8000 again.
CJ has a difficult Randall on his hands, also, interesting to see.

Topic #50502 | Report this topic

Hermann  
Two years ago

Too .Uchida been written into f I rst game for my likening.. too much hype over players expressions too much over a slow s t art to the season. Too much negatives about everything... letss get on happy clappy faces peoples..
Sixers by plenty b e cause I am true supporters

Reply #901389 | Report this post

Uncle Dre  
Two years ago

Only 6000 tickets left so expect the sell out spin from the club to ramp up soon

Reply #901391 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Hawks are a shadow of the team from last season, won't play finals.

Sixers should win this comfortably and if the don’t due dummy spits from players it’s time to move said players on. Sixers by 15 plus.

Reply #901393 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

I believe the commentators were unduly hard on Randle last game when criticising his mood while subbed off.
They called him selfish. To me, it was more like he was down on himself (not performing to expectations), and in that case, it's perfectly normal for one to appear a bit flat in the moment.
He also said in an interview that he experiences depression, so may have felt some emotional heaviness from not playing well.
I say give him time before critiquing his demeanor at this stage

Reply #901397 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Crowd number will be interesting

Yeah, < 48 hours after the previous home game is not exactly conducive to a packed house

Reply #901399 | Report this post

JoelMVP  
Two years ago

Adelaide have no option than to win this own. Hawks are another team that aren't that good. Lose this, it’s a huge step back from where we all anticipated this squad to be.

Reply #901404 | Report this post

Daly  
Two years ago

CJ just has to play King Kai Sotto for 40 minutes and Adelaide win.

Reply #901408 | Report this post

The tempo the Hawks play at will be a lot more conducive to Adelaide's prefered style of game.

Reply #901409 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

If Dech and McCarron can wrap up Harvey, then I see the Sixers winning comfortably. Otherwise, too close to call.

Reply #901413 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

20 Point easy cruisey win. No sweat no stress CR 2 to explode for 30 plus

Reply #901415 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Any side that is starting Dent and Deng with first sub Hickey is getting the spoon. Sixers five man defence is already woeful.

Reply #901423 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Can Cleveland play 40mins?

Reply #901424 | Report this post

JoelMVP  
Two years ago

Geez going to have to be very patient with Randall's shot selection. I’d hate to play with a guy who shoots so extremely early in the offence! Hawks not made to work at all. This live and die mentality will ultimately fail against the best teams come finals time.

Reply #901425 | Report this post

Jacket  
Two years ago

36ers 3s are falling tonight.
So Hawks should just pack up and go home.
What is the point of even continuing to play?
Your 3s fall you win, they dont fall go home.
There is nothing else teams are capable of doing to win the game.
Thats the state of basketball today

Reply #901426 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Lots of soft fouls getting whistled once again.

Reply #901427 | Report this post

Jacket  
Two years ago

Angus, it is to get scoring up.
NBA management think if the scoring is high the game is equivalent to the NBA.

Reply #901428 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

Is Sunday injured? Why has he logged only 1 minute

Reply #901429 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Sixers let's destroy this ramble. 40 point win and build tremendous confidence..

Reply #901430 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Froling must be thinking, I've signed a few year contract to play with these guys.

Reply #901431 | Report this post

JoelMVP  
Two years ago

Jacket, time to log off you miserable troll. You clearly hate the big state of the game, but it's not going to change, so you’re input is just negative.

Reply #901432 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Sixers still looking like they believe the hype, got put the foot down and show more. Liking Gibbo on commentary.

Reply #901433 | Report this post

JoelMVP  
Two years ago

Agreed on the hype. They're taking shots so early in the offense that they can get 20 seconds in. No ability to put this hawks team away, which is a worry.

And Gibbo does sound good, not over doing his input.

Reply #901434 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

No Mudronja yet, is he injured or just down the list.

Reply #901435 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

How many 3s are getting chucked up.

Yep understand it is the way the game is now played but is there such a thng now as using posts on the block and moving the ball through a offence.

No chance of the shot clock running out in this game. Must be a shocking shooting percentage

Reply #901436 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

there you go some inside work. an actual play for a bucket

Reply #901437 | Report this post

Jacket  
Two years ago

Scout, all this style of play so the players are have a better chance to get scouted by an NBA club.

Thats how the NBA works, just jacking up 3 after 3 after 3 in the first 10 seconds of the shot clock.

The players do not care about this comp.

It is just a feeder comp and spring board to get to the NBA

Reply #901438 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Yeah Jacket realise that, does my head in.

Doesn't happen at the JJ's. Did at the start of the season last year with some hero ball being played but that changed.

Reply #901439 | Report this post

Fox57  
Two years ago

Shit defence aside for Daniel Johnson, can he at least contest a missed shot and possibly try and use his arms and legs to move towards the ball on the defensive end? Just a bit of effort would be amazing. I'd be happy to split his minutes between Sotto and Harris.

Reply #901440 | Report this post

JCK98  
Two years ago

If you're calling a jump ball because you don't know who it went out off, maybe check with the video automatically, without the coach's challenge?

Reply #901441 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Can't do that. But as an out of bounds call, it should be possible to challenge.

Reply #901442 | Report this post

Jacket  
Two years ago

The National Foul league

No wonder the TV ratings are extremely poor

Reply #901444 | Report this post

Jacket  
Two years ago

LOL 43 Free throws attempted in 40 mins

Fouling down by 8 with 5 seconds to go.

No wonder this league is an after thought in this country

LOL no wonder the TV ratings are awful

Reply #901445 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Jacket seems like they be super fun in person.

Reply #901446 | Report this post

JoelMVP  
Two years ago

Why jacket is even posting on a basketball forum about how bad basketball is in this country is beyond me.

Reply #901447 | Report this post

Jacket  
Two years ago

Foul, foul, foul

LOL 43 minutes in 40 minutes.

Essentially someone was shooting a free throw every minute of this game.

bUt iT iS tHe 2Nd bEst lEague in the world.

LOL , absolute delusional clowns who ever say that

Reply #901448 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Sixers have talent, talent on its own doesn't win you championships. They are so hot and cold from minute to minute.
Where do the hawks go from here, Froling, Harvey, but average after that.

Reply #901449 | Report this post

Jacket  
Two years ago

So funny how the WBBL absolutely destroys the TV ratings of the NBL

Yes, the WBBL

Reply #901450 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

Despite making some (opportunistic) runs, Hawks looked lost.
They appeared to have scored from very few actual plays.
Man where do they go from here?
Very strange game to watch.

Adelaide won on some hot late shooting.

Randles' penetrate & dishes were nice and adds variety to his outside shot.

Sotto was neglected a number of times when he had good low post position.
Any chance a team could feed their bigs down low?

Reply #901451 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Jacket is the blowout troll, right?

Reply #901452 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Two years ago

Kobe, Jacket has upskilled to whinging about three pointers. He's becoming a real triple threat

Reply #901456 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Still lots reminding me about the struggles of last season, but obviously with an upgraded roster, but needed to win that, and got the job done.

DJ had 8 assists? Is that right?

Could Randall be another Cotton...

Reply #901462 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Two years ago

@Koberulz I was thinking blowout troll too but didn't think anyone would buy it. I am in.

Reply #901463 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I was thinking the exact same thing earlier this afternoon - it's the blowout troll.

Early each season it comes up with a new schtick.

I may be wrong but the blowout angle was actually two seasons ago with last year being something else that I can't recall because it petered out quickly.

Reply #901488 | Report this post

JoelMVP  
Two years ago

Such a shame trolls still infiltrate this site. Can't they just get their fix on Twitter? They aren’t welcome here.

As for Adelaide did what they had to do, what they were expected to do, and we move on. I have no faith yet, but happy to let it build. Atleast a lot of the top dog teams have been losing.

Reply #901492 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Seeing the game in person gives one a perspective they may not otherwise have on the game, and from what I saw from my seats the signs are not fantastic from this game.

There is no question that the 36ers are a more talented team than Illawarra. If I were to put a point amount to it, I'd say 20-30 points better team. And yet Adelaide struggled mightily contain them, despite Illawarra playing relatively poorly. I am willing to give some leeway for jet lag, but that ends this weekend.

The glaring sign that stands out to me is inside presence - or lack thereof. Johnson alone isnt the answer. Sotto definitely isn't the answer. We're getting a lot of mileage out of Hyrum Harris but when it comes to interior grunt work, that is as far as we really go.

I'd like to see more of Franks on the block. If we're unable to make use of him there we seem a little too happy to just jack it from outside.

Speaking of jack it from outside, Craig Randall. There isn't much doubt that he has the talent but he doesn't have any of the IQ. He over-dribbles consistently. Throws up bad shots. He might make some of those but you're left living and dying on what his shot is doing, which doesn't make good, reliable basketball. He might be just a couple of years young and immature to be a consistent player at this level. Definitely questions marks around him for me.

If Adelaide want to be a genuine championship shot they need something else inside. Deng Acouth doesn;t cut it. Sotto doesn't cut it. I'd be inclined to even throw Nate Jawai a lifeline at the moment to shore up that part of our game. We have no obvious post target and no decent rim protection. And if we cant outshoot other teams we're going to find ourselves in a world of hurt. Playoffs? Probably yes. Championship? I am doubtful at this point,

Reply #901497 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Obviously it wasn't a great first round of the season for a highly fancied 36ers. Two games at home that you’d want to win if you think you’re a top 2-4 team.

That’s no disrespect to the Jackie’s and Hawks, it’s just you can’t justify being a top 2-4 side and lose or play pretty average against most sides in the league.

ME is right, it’s just so blatantly obvious the defensive hole in the big spot. That’s the scariest issue and the one we all knew and hoped the last spot could cover over as patch work. Maybe someone like Galloway should get time to exercise some altheticism there? Do we put Cleveland down there and go superdooper undersized?

Franks hasn’t gotten into it and DJ doesn’t get enough of the ball. Those things should sort themselves out aslong as there’s effective coaching. Get the boys the ball, don’t make them desperate or absent.

Randall is an xfactor that could wreck any side but we need to make sure it’s not our own. There’s a time and place for reckless abandon of shooting and going rogue and hopefully Randall learns that. He also needs to make sure the ball gets through hands, and not just when driving, but generally there needs to be a lot more flow.

If Randall can keep his head screwed on properly, chemistry will develop amongst the team and things will click, it’s just about hoping that’s expeditious enough to not cost too many games and not cause a spiral of frustration.

Reply #901502 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I think Adelaide needs to look at one of Matt Hodgson, Nate Jawai, Angus Brandt and drop Deng Acouth and another lowly Aussie to make some noise. Nate Jawai may be old but he's still 6'10 and 150 kilos of pure scare factor.

Reply #901509 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Brandt is in Japan, Hodgson never became the player he should have and is playing in Asia. White Jawai was fantastic player, he just can't compete defensively and more. I agree with you though that they need a banger, see what is available OS and cut an import if they have to, I’m still not convinced Randal will be the difference maker.

Reply #901511 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

The only scare factor Jawai has now is when he walks in an all you can eat restaurant!

Reply #901512 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two years ago

Agree with ME and KET, the lack of an inside presence is a glaring weakness for this team. Not many options though. Hodgson has tried and failed too many times. Seems unlikely the Sixers could pry Brandt out of his contract. Jawai is a statue and an absolute liability at this point.

Would love it if Bairstow could be talked out of retirement for the second half of the season. Keep his minutes limited and then hope he is fit to play a more important role in the playoffs.

Probably not gonna happen though, so we've just got to hope Kai finally works out how to play passable defence! Has someone at least tried telling him he's not allowed to leave his feet on the defensive end?! If he just did that he'd improve 10% instantly!

Reply #901513 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Hey Jacket you might want to read an NBA box score every once in a while. Lakers @ Kings, 52 fouls in 48 mins

Reply #901517 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I'm puzzled why Bairstow retired - did the 36ers go nah even though he was almost our MVP last year? Was the money not worth it? Injury niggles? Love of the game not there anymore?

I feel like coaxing him out of retirement would be a massive get for Adelaide even if his entire role is to play a few mins and play a semblance of defence near the ring. It’s that little improvement for periods of the game that would provide massive dividends.

How will Adelaide stop Baynes?

Reply #901519 | Report this post

Sarge  
Two years ago

Hope they still prioritize winning instead of the games being a league long try-out for the NBA.

Reply #901529 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two years ago

Lots of possible reasons there KET. We've seen Barlow and Coenraad rethink their retirement before though, so you never know! Perhaps if the money is right!

Re: stopping Baynes? We'll just counter him by forcing him to guard either DJ or Franks on the three point line. From what I've seen of him so far, he's not got enough agility to cover anyone very far from the basket anymore.

Reply #901560 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Two years ago

ME - you may have an idea on crowd number seeing you were there.
I haven't heard anything about it.

(Brett Maher on kayo said that Randall was angry last game because his team was 20 odd points behind and that was better than just being quiet about it.)

Reply #901580 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Crowd was 8.1k slightly better than the first game which was 8.0k.

Reply #901583 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Two years ago

Thank you. Very interesting.
Sat night very popular 36ers night.
Thanks again.

Reply #901590 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I meant more defending against Baynes really

I think 36ers would be content if the crowd average was 6.5k through the whole season. That'd be a nice jump.

Reply #901594 | Report this post

Jonno  
Two years ago

I really dont think Adelaide need to be massively worries about stopping Baynes, Brisbane look hopeless again, dont see them in the playoffs picture and Baynes hasnt destroyed anyone yet, even if Baynes did have a big game against us I still think we would have a decent chance of winning the game as our other players are better than theirs.

Baynes has also been hanging around the perimeter alot so far too, so that makes it easier for smaller opponents to deal with him too.

I personally think Adelaide should use a smaller line up of McCarron, Randall, Dech, Cleveland, Franks and play high energy, hustling full court defence like Tassie do as much as possible, Tassie look fine getting away with Krslovic, Bairstow, Kelly at C which is smaller than what we have if we use Johnson, Franks and Harris.

Reply #901596 | Report this post

+  
Two years ago

no junior games to clash with - lot of junior basketballers there Saturday evening - not too late - family can go to tea after - works well.

Reply #901599 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Reply #901605 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

ME you keep forgetting that bigs actually have to guard the PnR. Hodgson and Jawai are terrible at it. They would be targeted all game long and would be a massive liability on defense. Same as Sotto is whenever he is on. Bairstow would be good though.

KET Baynes isn't the force you think he is. Currently, averaging 10ppg and only getting 23 minutes.

Reply #901609 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I think the Baynes we're seeing now and the one we'll see by season's end are two totally different beasts. I dont think his team is any good though

Reply #901611 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two years ago

KET, I was basically saying that we don't have anyone who can guard Baynes near the basket, but we’ll counter that by attacking him at the other end.

Reply #901619 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:19 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754