Pat Bev
Two years ago

Is It Time For The Wildcats To Cut Imports?

I know Brady is having a bad spell and Thomas is being underused, but will they roll with them both for the whole season or cut them ? a secondary score is desperately needed.

Topic #50553 | Report this topic

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Thomas was great, Manek gets one more game imo or he's done. Professional sport is in the end about winning.

Reply #902789 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

Thomas is not a scorer but a defensive passing big and he played pretty well last night and I think will only get better to that defensive MVP status he got overseas. 14 boards, 6 rebounds and 5 assists is great effort from a centre.

Manek is sadly way out of his depth and If the cats were winning it wouldn't be the issue but if Danny Mills is not now looking at the import market for someone in his spot to come free, were in trouble. I dont think the cats have many more games to let him find his way.

If they are serious about trying for a championship you can see again with this roster that the supporting cast like Norton and Blanchfield are struggling big time and as such another 20 ppg import is needed.

I do hope Rillie looks at the starting 5 as I think travers has earned Blanchfields spot and possibly giving Zunich more of a run over Norton who's game has really regressed both offensively and defensively.

Reply #902792 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Two years ago

Cut Blanchfield and play Zunic over Norton.

Reply #902795 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Zunic over Norton? Classic post loss overreaction lol

Manek is an issue though. As is Blanchfield's form

Reply #902796 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

Norton looking to be towards end of his career and has definately fallen away from his peak - possibly injury related. Turnovers and poor decisions in recent games.

Cats have to find the next future guard like Dech, Leafa, McDowel White and so on who have come up from DP ranks to be solid players. Is it Zunic I dont know but you wont find out with him not playing any minutes.

Norton at 30 ish is injury prone and cant see him getting renewed at next contract talk on current output.

To be honest if Cats had a US point guard like a Wilton JR, cottons and co would massively benefit.

Reply #902799 | Report this post

wildcat  
Two years ago

Has anyone considered that Mills might be the problem?

Prioritising performance over culture, which never ends well.

Great culture enhances performance, not the other way round.

Reply #902806 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Has anyone considered that Mills might be the problem?

Yes, since before the beginning of last season. There have been a few threads about it.

Reply #902807 | Report this post

Statman84  
Two years ago

Yep, cut #11.

:p

Reply #902809 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Anyone just think Perth suck right now and need to rebuild and that takes time?

Reply #902810 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

The problem is there has been no action taken to start said rebuild, so two years have already been wasted.

Reply #902811 | Report this post

JMS  
Two years ago

Overreaction surly on the Norton front, has had a few poor games and may have lost a bit of confidence from Rillie but he'll come good. When fit and aggressive he is a perfect fit alongside Cotton. Blanchfield is an interesting one. Has been regressing for quite some time, seems to have lost confidence in his shot and doesn’t do enough other things. When he’s hitting the three ball it creates great spacing for Cotton which Travers can’t provide.

Agree that Manek doesn’t look like the right fit. Too slow and doesn’t seem to have a sting pick and roll move which would be essential for a PF on this lineup.

The guy I’ve been surprised in terms of performance is Webster. Seems a nice fit offensively off the bench and a secondary ball handler next to Cotton. If they all hit some form Perth will still be tough to beat.

Reply #902814 | Report this post

JMS  
Two years ago

* strong pick and roll move

Reply #902815 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Webster is a cancer everywhere he goes. He is not the answer in any shape for Perth

Reply #902816 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Two years ago

Norton injured his groin against the bullets in round one and hasn't looked the same. I suspect he is playing through some kind of injury.

Manek sadly was brought in to be a floor spacer to create driving space for Cotton as a stretch 4. He really offers no other value of his three ball is not falling. I suspect he will be given a couple of more games before learning a decision is made. At this rate he will be gone sooner then later.

As mentioned before I feel a spark plug role off the bench might for blanchfield best. He can come in and Jack up and play freely. I think right now his confidence is shot . I would start Travers and bring Todd off the bench .

Shervile is the one that is being wasted the most. For a team struggling from the three point line he is a pretty good shooter and seems to get his points at an efficient clip. Not sure JR refuses to play him. He should get a few minutes to atleast prove himself

Reply #902817 | Report this post

Moose 67  
Two years ago

The biggest issue I see with Manek is the defensive end. Teams are targetting him when he's on the floor. I don’t see him making too many defensive plays.

I reckon Travers contract says he has to play PG and it’s hurting the team. He is best at the wing as a slasher/driver. They are trying to turn him into something he’s not because of the NBA dream.

It’s arguably the most important position at this level, not a development role. And his on ball defence is poor. Anyone who feels he is a great defender doesn’t know the game.

Thomas is next level and he needs to be in regular actions with Cotton.

Finally teams are really targetting Cotton on D, Tassie looked for him every possession no matter who he was guarding.

Reply #902819 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Two years ago

All the people here defending Norton or either family members of his or haven't watched a single Cats game this season and basis his play off reputation

Reply #902822 | Report this post

JMS  
Two years ago

@Screeningnick Wildcats are 6 games into their season and you've completely written off Norton? You do know players have down periods, carrying injuries etc?

Reply #902861 | Report this post

Reader  
Two years ago

Might be time for manek to go. Thomas is a good player and needs a clean run - has been injury interrupted so far.

Reply #903004 | Report this post

Jonno  
Two years ago

Yea if they have the money for un upgrade I'd replace Manek too, they need someone as close to Kay or Mooney as they can find.

Reply #903007 | Report this post

martinfuchs  
Two years ago

Can anyone shed any light on how Sydney can hold onto Cooks when other leagues such as Japan are attracting Cats players such as Kay and Mooney. It seems to me without a marquee type Australian to play your three imports around teams will struggle to win a championship.

Reply #903010 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Sydney pay Cook top money, he's probably there number one marquee.

Reply #903011 | Report this post

Bol  
Two years ago

All the more reason not to cheap out on imports when you dont have a marquee Aussie. Manek seems to be just that. Ive never been a fan of stretch 4's even if the shots are falling. The cats have been exposed defensively and on the boards since Mooney, Kay and Knight. Blue collar down low and spending big on a athletic wing to support Cotton was the right balance for success. Blanchfield should be coming off the bench now he appears past his best.

Reply #903012 | Report this post

Bws1blood  
Two years ago

Said it in the thread against jack jumpoers

There is no shot creators outside of cotton AGAIN

Blanchield is way to inconsistent

Travers is probably second best scorer.. But is inconsistebt.. Doesnt jave any polish and lacks a reliable jumper '' needs more work but we wont get to down on him

Manek is totally out his depth ( why does rillie not at least get him dome action, lut him in easy mivk x pop with Bryce '.. Why are we using solely thomas or majok in that action with Bryce..

So lets be honest thatd bad coaching... His main strength is his shot and we arent getting him shots in rythm.. Of youe going to look at him solely to be a 4th or 5th option' then kut him... U can find a spot up shooter loczlly.. Dont waste a import spot

Wagstaff and norton are cooked.. And even xhen they look ok, they are still inconsistent offensively

So the same issue persists to much over reliance ln bryce, as he gets older isnt healthy

Rillie has done ok but needs to be vetter

Reply #903013 | Report this post

Bws1blood  
Two years ago

Just realized game broadcadt hire interviewed.. Tony ronalfson and asked him what advice he would give to manek.. As 1 of the bedt pick n pop shooters ever ''

So everyone kan see that is thr action he should be in.. Why arebt we running it '.

Reply #903014 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

^^^ ah what.

Reply #903017 | Report this post

Bws1blood  
Two years ago

I was referribg to my earlier post

Questioning, why do we not help manek get involved in the action.. He isnt a low post threat..

He is obviously a rhythm/volume shooter.. He isnt that in this offense system, as currently constructed.

Greg hire, asked toby ronaldson.. As 1 of the leagues best pick. And pop shooters what manek needs to do to improve...

What hire fails to realize manek isnt in any pick n pop opportunities.. But he does realize he SHOULd BE in those situations.. Thats why he framed the question in that manner

Bro is averging two or 3 catch anf shoot options on the perimter a half.. Hard to catch a ryhtmn standing around waiting for the BALl on minimal'opportubities

Reply #903029 | Report this post

McBlurter  
Two years ago

"Can anyone shed any light on how Sydney can hold onto Cooks when other leagues such as Japan are attracting Cats players such as Kay and Mooney."

Well for his year in Wollongong, and last year in Sydney, he wasn't on much and his contract was only u for renewal for the beginning of this season.

He plated very well last year, and earned himself an upgraded salary, to the point he is likely to be top 3 in the league. He is also the Kings marquee and most of his wage would be exempt from the cap.

"Japan are attracting Cats players such as Kay and Mooney"...

They are also the highest spenders in the league as of last year. I would suspect there is just an income limit which Perth cannot match (coin going to Cotton), and Sydney have matched with one solitary player in Cooks.

TLDR;
Sydney are probably spending big on him.

Reply #903041 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

easy by helping Cooks get to the NBA, China Japan are where your NBA dream die

Reply #903042 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

I doubt Perth were the highest spenders in the league last year. They just didn't have a high spend on marquees that would reduce what counted against the salary cap.

Reply #903044 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

McBlurter,

Xavier Cooks has never played for the Hawks and this is his 4th season with the Kings. Also I think you'll find his first deal with the Kings was heavily backloaded after returning from Germany.

Reply #903045 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two years ago

I do feel for Blanchfield he can shoot the lights out but is in a terrible slump atm sucks for him and the cats. He should never, ever, ever drive to the hoop, ever, period. The 1 handed jump shot after a spin move is over, the slowest defender on the opposition can see it coming a mile away retire it and just put up 3's please until they start dropping.

Reply #903047 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

Let Blanchfield come off the bench and get some better looks against the oppositions bench... points off the bench is needed and maybe Manek will get more looks in the starting lineup this way with Travers out there instead.

I do agree Manek could/should be on his way out the door, but remember Michael Frazier last season and how bad he was? Cats left that one til it was too late.

Dont understand the Webster hate? he has given us a ball carrier off the bench who can actual get his own shot, outside of Cotton who on the Wildcats can do that?

Norton IMO is better off the bench at this stage, however we dont have a backup in that position that would be any better than what he is giving us.

Wildcats will continue to run Cotton into the ground, and will finish 5th or 6th this season.

Reply #903048 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Cooks was brought in by Weaver when Moller went down, memory is that kings were 11 and 1 at that stage, kings got the chokes and went out to cats in the Covid GF. Forde took over the next season after Weaver bolted after one and Cooks struggled with injuries. Then last season he stepped right up and kings won after Buford became coach. Cooks is now in his fourth season at kings, second under Buford and would be clearly there marquee at probably 450 to 500k.

Blanchfield has only played well under Gleeson, all other season have been average.

The Goulding, Cooks, are hard to pry from clubs as to out bid there clubs sends your club in to financial waste water unless you have a Smith, LK or the previous cats owner.

Reply #903049 | Report this post

Classified  
Two years ago

wildcats should get tacko fall

Reply #903050 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

Why? Is he any more mobile than the other 7-footers already in the NBL?

Reply #903063 | Report this post

Bws1blood  
Two years ago

A blind man kan see this teams weqkness

No certified secobd offensive punch / creator

Im glad maneks pop got to see him olay pro ball over seas.. He is surely gone in the next 2 weeks.

Ig jabari parker is a SEN target its perfect for this team

Reply #903081 | Report this post

Pat Bev  
Two years ago

I think it's time......

Reply #903084 | Report this post

Pat Bev  
Two years ago

I think it's time......

Reply #903085 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

John Rillie today at a conference doubled down on Manek saying he is a wildcat for the season and there is no-talk about the import internally in the club. Characterised the fan reactions as "noise".

He seems to think they can coach their way out of the slump with the pieces they have. if it gets 5 or 6 game losing streak not sure if his approach will be justifiable.

Definitely think this year we are in contention for wooden spoon, cotton looks as if age finally catching up so with out a roster change or 2 not sure they can train their way around lacking height, lacking athleticism and looking court leadership.

Reply #903163 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Two years ago

Fail to see why they believe a role player in college which Manek is, will automatically become a stud at the professional level. College, even D1, ain't the NBL.

Reply #903165 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I thought Manek was better in his last game, he could be ok. Still can't believe Cotton isn’t naturalised. I’d be getting a quality point guard who can score and pass, think Manek will improve a lot then. Norton has shown very little.

Reply #903174 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Even though it's always been explained away with being a 'paperwork' issue I've always suspected Cotton isn't that interested in getting naturalised as he would know imports lose a lot of their bargaining power once they do become naturalised.

Reply #903176 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

imports lose a lot of their bargaining power once they do become naturalised.
The exact opposite is true.

There are thousands fewer Australians than there are imports, dozens more local spots than import spots, and locals are eligible for marquee status making it easier to pay them more.

What bargaining power does he lose, exactly?

Reply #903177 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"Fail to see why they believe a role player in college which Manek is, will automatically become a stud at the professional level."

I think they signed him to play a specific role, rather than be a stud.

Reply #903178 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

As an australian cotton may be able to move from being a superstar to just a solid contributor. This year (and towards end of last year) cotton hasn't been able to get to those 30+ ppg games he was getting back in the day that often carried the team to wins.

So whatever salary he is on now, his contribution is no longer as game winning as it was and eventually it gets to a point where 2-3 well paid imports (like Sydney last year or Adelaide this year) may be better than one very highly paid import who is no longer able to win on his own.

The main advantage of him transitioning to an Aussie may be that it could give him a longer career if healthy (to mid to late 30s) where he wouldn't be on the big coin he is now but earning a good salary as a veteran. Allowing the club to free up some cap to get the next Kay , white or Cooks into the franchise. Desperately need a premium NBL 1 level Aussie big man.

This is what makes the clubs recruiting or lack of a bit sad as Cotton not getting any younger and he hasnt been given the complimentary players to bring success.

Reply #903180 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Two years ago

Cotton would cost more as an Aussie than an import - limited Aussies available compared to imports. The advantage for Perth is he can be a marquee player.

Reply #903181 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

yeah but in one or two years his value has to start dropping especially if he is getting physically capped out in a game by half time. Club needs to focus on the next generation and not be overspending on a 30+ year old. Sad fact of life.

So to me import status allows him to be like a Fisher or Grace who played till close to 40 and wouldn't likely have been on the massive salaries earlier in their career.

Reply #903182 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"This year (and towards end of last year) cotton hasn't been able to get to those 30+ ppg games he was getting back in the day"

He's had 32 against Melbourne and 27 against SE Melbourne already. Plenty more to come too now that his three has started dropping again.

Reply #903184 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

in this team he needs to make 40ppg :)

Reply #903185 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Cotton is the best player in league, that's why he earns top dollar, as a marquee at least most that won’t go on the cap and you might be able to put a few reasonable players around him. There Aussie contingent got do a bit starting with Travers, Blanchfield, Norton.

Reply #903186 | Report this post

Classified  
Two years ago

He could have some good averages though. 10 ppg & 8 rpg would be realistic

Reply #903805 | Report this post

Classified  
Two years ago

im talking about tacko fall

Reply #903806 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

Was a good effort from Manek but listening to Heal/Rucker on their show , Manek only had 1 board again. He wont be able to hit 20+ a game regularily and Rillie on the radio said he was more likely to get 2-3 three pointers a game. I think Cats need someone to average 17+pgg along the lines of Law last year who also added a bunch of rebounds.

So the Adelaide game (with their own defensive woes) creates a risk poeple tink Manek has now arrived, but their next home game he disappears again along with regular absentees such as Blanchfield and Webster - can the cats risk continuing with him.

would a defensive big a long the lines of Alan Williams shore up their rebounding issues at the expense of 3 point shooters.

I would argue cats have lost many games due to second chance points, closing the rebounding difference ultimately would create more shots for Bryce and co.

So whilst I liked what I saw from Manek, the cats risks another 2-3 losses if they are not hitting 40% from the three point - and not enough rebounders to make the difference.

Reply #903846 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Heal/Rucker, now there is duo.

Reply #903847 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Williams isn't a great defender

I'd be thinking they need a versatile forward with a respectable outside shot for spacing, but also athletic enough to defend and rebound and bring some power. Manek gets beaten too easily by the likes of Creek

They really need Blanchfield and Norton playing like 2021 too. Without that it'll be difficult even with a Manek upgrade

Reply #903857 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Two years ago

Only way Cats sign an import is if Cotton get his citizenship. They will need a Jrue Holiday type guard as well, Perth need to get Cotton his passport ASAP or Finals (Final Four) appearance is over

Reply #904209 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

Newscorp released in NBL23 rankings, cat projected to finish outside of the top 6.

Tonight's basketball shown not one of the commentators putting Perth in the top six. And the ownership wonder why the fans are unhappy lol.

Sadly its not just Manek, some of the Aussies are probably on decent money and past their prime. Club needed a clean out last year after dropping from the finals and it wasnt really done.

Reply #904263 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Two years ago

Should not have re-signed blanchfield period let alone giving him a three year contract. I can understand wagstaff who is probably playing for peanuts and is a vet.

Reply #904264 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:06 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754