Zodiac
Two years ago

Will Craig Randall stay in the NBL?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95DXgk7dW38

Interesting. I doubt Cleveland, the 36ers and the NBL would put this out there for the fun of it, there must be some genuine interest in Randall from other NBL teams. Or they're trying to salvage what might be left of his career.

Several teams have been reported to be on the lookout for potential import replacements and Cleveland wouldn't be surprised if a team snapped Randall II up.

"I think he could definitely help those teams," Cleveland said.

“He’s a good player, so maybe some people can think that they could work through it, it’s a high risk, high reward.”

“I wouldn’t be shocked if he stayed in this league."

https://nbl.com.au/news/cleveland-wouldnt-be-shocked-if-randall-ii-stayed-in-nbl

Classy stuff from Cleveland that's for sure.

Topic #50591 | Report this topic

Jimmyhooper15  
Two years ago

Brisbane could use him. Breakers just lost the young French kind could use him . Perth definitely could use him with Norton looking washed. But will they cut Manek? That would make their frontline even smaller

Reply #904023 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

Hawks could use him. Brisbane. With a point to prove he could be a handful. Pity he couldn't rein it in and work at the Sixers.
Wonder if Sixers have someone lined up?

Reply #904024 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I just couldn't see any team other than the two below the Sixers on the ladder being interested. Hawks need to get fans in with wins & losses less important so an obvious one and Bullets if they're paying Baynes close to $1 million are trying to make a run at the title so may think Randall could help get them there.

Rupert is a Next Star so Breakers would need to vcut an import to sign Randall, with their promising start and Glen Rice Jr still fresh in their minds I can't see them being interested and the Wildcats with their culture or what's left of it probably wouldn't want to risk it.

Wonder if Sixers have someone lined up?

Boti thinks they'll definitely be contacting Jaylen Adams as would a few other NBL teams.

Reply #904025 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Perth are talking to Adams but unlikely to get it over the line

Reply #904027 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

Any team could use a player capable of 20ppg at 48 and 40%.

But few would want one that makes a team so toxic they lose to Perth Wildcats at home.

Reply #904028 | Report this post

JoelMVP  
Two years ago

Same old story, he will be picked up, and absolutely torch the 6ers like every former player has over the years!

Reply #904030 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Two years ago

Cleveland is a class act, for sure.
If I were bottom team that has only won one game, I'd go for Randall.

Reply #904032 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

You'd think Adelaide are in the box seat regarding a clear role? Melbourne have Rathan-Mayes playing so well. Perth would have to drop an import? Guess could come down to money? In saying that, I know he's the type of guy you worry about fit later. I guess most are talking Adams comments with a pinch of salt also..

Reply #904036 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Very classy press conference.

Cleveland very well spoken. Presumably that's why the 36ers put him forward for this particular presser!

Reply #904038 | Report this post

Pinch  
Two years ago

Hawks passed on him before Adelaide signed him due to attitude issues. Don't think they will take him now after their concerns have been confirmed not matter how bad their roster is

Reply #904040 | Report this post

SP  
Two years ago

That Canada game is the last time we're ever going to see LJ dominate in the post, isn't it? Painful watching her heave up threes today. She could easily take on Nelson-Ododa and Davidson but no, the threes must go up.

I thought Puoch had a good second half on both ends of the court but I think I'd like to forget the rest of it.

Reply #904041 | Report this post

SP  
Two years ago

Uh, disregard the above post. Wrong thread

Reply #904042 | Report this post

Kings  
Two years ago

36ers already have someone lined up. Kobi Simmons. Fantastic defender and can do it all, will fit the system much better.

Randall is toxic to any team. Cannot see why anyone would bother wasting a chunk of cash to disrupt their roster and have him stat pad so he can up his asking price when he goes to the CBA or Europe.

Reply #904048 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Where did you hear that Kings?

Reply #904049 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

36ers already have someone lined up. Kobi Simmons. Fantastic defender and can do it all, will fit the system much better.

Wow. Nice scoop if true.

Reply #904052 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

I hope you're right Kings.

Reply #904056 | Report this post

chillbaby  
Two years ago

He's obviously very much a talent on the court however all the teams mentioned that could use him have either rookie or inexperienced coaches - probably only a couple of coaches in the league that could "handle" him - Buford and Roth (and possibly Vickerman). Adam Forde has impressed this year too and can be a bit of a disciplinarian so may have fit there too (not that they need him atm). That said probably only Melbourne, of the above mentioned, need to make changes and he's not what they need unless they get rid of the self proclaimed best import in the league - a like for like swap with better scoring (I'd also imagine guys like Goulding/Newley/Barlow/Ili wouldn't put up with the rubbish). Bottom line, though, is he appears toxic and TBH I would be very surprised if he stays in the NBL (regardless of the growth its still a close knit community and people talk)- will most likely bounce around the professional mid-level leagues earning good money until no-one willing to give him a contract.. happy to be proven wrong though as when he is "on" a great player to watch

Reply #904057 | Report this post

Kev  
Two years ago

Burford ain't that good. Jayden Adams certainly isn’t a fan.

Reply #904058 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two years ago

Cairns take Randall 36ers get McCall. Works for both and if Forde can fix Pinder he may just be able to fix Randall

Reply #904059 | Report this post

OzHooper  
Two years ago

Would be extremely cautious to sign Randall. It's a shame too because he could be the most exciting player to watch in the league.

Not sure if the 6ers could sign Simmons or not, but with LaMelo getting closer to a return the chances of KS getting a roster spot on the Hornets look slim.
He may have just been waiting around to see if another injury happens, LaMelo getting a recurrence etc.
He is off to a hot start with the Swarm.

Reply #904060 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Burford ain't that good. Jayden Adams certainly isn't a fan.

Didn't Buford bring Adams with him from the Bucks?

Reply #904061 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Two years ago

Id be surprised if it happened. Homicide actually had a half decent take during the week where he said "Craig Randall is a baller but he's not a pro". If you're good enough to avg. 20+pts a game and you still get sacked....probably need to take a look in the mirror.

Reply #904062 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Obviously Randall is such a talent that teams outside the NBA are willing to take a known risk of behaviour/culture issues.

It's not an uncommon theme - Melbourne took on Hodge etc.

The only team I’d like to see take on the risk is the Hawks because I think they’re done unless they can engineer a major coup. They don’t have the money to do that though.

Get Randall on an affordable contract, replace King and roll with the potential culture issues, roll with the potential lack of balance in your team, roll with the risk of conflict with Harvey and Siva.

Then see what happens when you have Siva, Harvey and Randall together. Maybe they shoot the absolute lights out and notch up some wins

Reply #904063 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Don't think it'll happen but agree Hawks are the only remotely realistic possibility

And it would be very fun to watch. Once every 3 or 4 games when Harvey and Randall are on together, they'd shoot 100 and win. And there'd be some disastrous games too. Would be interesting at least and give them probably more wins than their current roster

Reply #904064 | Report this post

Moose 32  
Two years ago

Hawks wont, as mentioned above they passed on him already before Adelaide signed him.

According to this, their real owner is pretty rich. https://www.smh.com.au/property/news/only-in-sydney-15-000-a-week-rent-to-find-cockroaches-and-the-landlady-on-arrival-20221101-p5buqf.html

Reply #904065 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Interesting John Casey didn't know that, he was pushing the Hawks angle hard in the Cleveland presser

Reply #904067 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

United won't go for Randall, doesn’t fit their culture and won’t fix their defensive issues. I’m hearing DJ Newbill rumours, not sure if it’s true or not but I’ll be shocked if they cut Tucker and keep Caroline.

Bloody wish the nbl had 4 imports since not many clubs are using their NS’s. I would have a rule only have 3 imports on the court with 2 Australian/New Zealanders. Otherwise 3 locals-2 imports, 4 locals-1 import allowed, keep it simple but not 4 imports otherwise our league will go down the EuroLeague path which we don’t want because it will effect our local talent coming up.

Reply #904069 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Who is to say that Randall even wants to stay/return to Australia and the NBL anyway?

Reply #904070 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

I jumbled up my words, I mean have 4 imports but not 4 imports on the court with our locals.

That's why I’m a fan of the 48min game because it expands our rosters and better for player development. It’s just a real shame no tv deals won’t go sign up to it. They use to in the past but I can’t remember when the nbl went 48min’s in Gaze’s era.

The NBL clubs aren’t using their Next Stars spot as much since most players get taken from the G-League, Collage or even Europe now.

Reply #904071 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Cleveland said he wouldn't be surprised if he stayed in the NBL and I'm betting he would have a fair bit better idea than any of us would. It's a quite specific thing to say too imports that are cut by a team early very rarely hang around and immediately sign with another NBL team.

Reply #904072 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

I remember Sydney cutting E. J. Rowland them he signed with the Townsville Crocs. It's rare but still happens in the nbl. E. J. Rowland is still playing surprising but in Poland with Terrance Ferguson. Crazy both of them started their careers in Australia.

Reply #904073 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Zodiac,

I didn't take that away from what he said. I felt like it was more a nice gesture kind of thing. Plus, I doubt communication would be likely if its the case that players were also behind the push to move Randall on. I would have thought Randall would be on the first flight out there if the feelings were mutual.

Reply #904074 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Most clubs can't get three decent imports, why would you go to four.

Reply #904075 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I would have thought Randall would be on the first flight out there if the feelings were mutual.

Well clearly he must still be here then.

Reply #904077 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

EJ Rowland ended up having a very solid career in Europe.

Reply #904082 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I agree, let's avoid going to 4 imports.

Whatever benefit a NS is as a 4th import I think there’s an inherent disadvantage in that it’s a youngster needing development on a probable one-and-done scenario playing in a grownups league.

So that extent, perfectly happy for there to be NS particularly with how it places global eyes on the NBL.

Reply #904091 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Two years ago

When will cotton become a citizen ? I mean this is getting ridiculous.

Reply #904106 | Report this post

GordonG  
Two years ago

Jimmyhooper15
A few hours ago

When will cotton become a citizen ? I mean this is getting ridiculous.

Interviewed after their recent game, Cotton was asked the question. His body language suggested either (a) he didn't care or (b) it isn't happening.

Reply #904111 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:50 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754