Zodiac
Two years ago

New NBL Website

https://nbl.com.au/

No Sir, I don't like it.

Topic #50675 | Report this topic

Interpreter  
Two years ago

Strongly disagree. After 1 minute of browsing on PC it's infinitely better than the old one.

Reply #906388 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

I haven't been through the whole site.

But there are some annoying bits.

That top carousel for the game scores is slightly improved BUT if you use mouse to drag left or right then unclick it counts as a click on the game you clicked on.

The website has kept one annoying feature from the last website. When you click on a news article, then from that article click on another recent article, it will still show the first article first you have to scroll down to view the second article. And when there are multiple Twitter feeds embedded that can be a bit of scrolling.

Reply #906391 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

No distinction between zones/slabs of content, so it ends up being a bit shapeless. Everything bar the footer is white and light grey. They should be mixing up a section to use a different background colour and be full-width to create some separation. The More News section especially as it breaks the contained convention. The general style is clean and unremarkable but I think that's OK where the data and visuals are the focus. At least they ditched the side menu.

Could argue for increasing the info density but never going to get that past whoever is approving a design. Interesting to compare it with my usual NBA source - ESPN - which has far smaller active/future game blocks and a more constrained/older look.

Still has the annoying schedule/results slider that hides recent games off screen, which is the only thing I'm ever visiting the site for. And the thing where command/right-clicking to open a game in a new tab doesn't kill the mousedown control of the slider so it keeps following the cursor and needing an extra click to cancel out and let you open another game.

Reply #906393 | Report this post

Crazy8  
Two years ago

People whinge every website change. You'll get used to it, like it, then be upset in a year when they change it.

Reply #906396 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Two years ago

I don't know if its just me but the schedule is always sitting like 5 rounds ago, not on the current round. So frustrating.

Reply #906498 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Me as well, it gives me shits. ^^^^^

Reply #906500 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Same, it is frustrating.

Reply #906501 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Two years ago

There's a prominent feedback option - given they've just updated, they are probably open to feedback.

Reply #906502 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

What was wrong with the old one?

Reply #906503 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Same website, just presented a bit differently.

Reply #906505 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

It's the same but I hate it when the nbl kill all their stories like they did to their old website from 2003 to 2009.

There is so many old nbl stories that never got catched which was a massive issue for finding historical nbl information like awards and old game reports with crowds etc.

The new website is basically the same.

Reply #906528 | Report this post

robburton1986  
Two years ago

Hi guys.

Rob from the NBL here. Hope you're all well and thanks for your support.

Just thought I’d pop in quickly and provide a bit of an update on the above.

Our team has launched the new homepage today, with some bugs to iron out, but really hope you like the new look and feel.

Worth noting this is just the start of a re-design of many sections of the site including news, videos, stats and player profiles. The homepage has been released for now to improve user experience nice and quickly, with much more to come.

The feedback above is fantastic and really keen to hear thoughts on how we can improve things further moving forward.

Thanks so much,
Rob.

NBL GM Digital & Content

Reply #906546 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Thanks Rob it's much cleaner looking.

Hopefully you guys can fix the old standings from 1979 to 2009. Good source is Wikipedia. All ladders on Wikipedia are 100% right. Hopefully in time you guys can add the boxscores to the older games too with classic games added to the games you have on nbl classic games.

Just what needs to be fixed for the visual view is the past logos of the defunct nbl teams. Need them for the standings and results. It will help massively for the mobile version by eye.

Good you guys are keeping the links to all past nbl stories.

Lastly, history of each teams like year by year tables like you guys use to in the early 2000’s is a good way to track history. Past coaches, captains and Club MVP’s really helps, big thank!

Reply #906549 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

FYI that video slider is clunky to move on the phone.

I've tended towards the app because it’s visually easier to read and functionally smoother experience. I wonder why they don’t work harder to reflect similar style and design into the website, if anything for consistency from a branding aspect?

I’m glad to see there’s a "watch" button to give people quick access to the nbl broadcast details.

HOWEVER, it’s a big slab of text when it should be a clearer graphic or way of communicating nice and simply that all games are on ESPN and Kayo live and Sundays x times are live and free on 10Peach and Kayo Freebies.

The other big big big thing which I’m frankly shocked isn’t available on the nbl website and part of the “watch” page is that the lack of pointing to basketball content that is produced every week.

You have to be obsessed with the NBL to bother to figure it all out. They should list in as simple table their content.

List the day, show, time and where it can be accessed

Ie:
Monday: NBL Today Podcast (Spotify, YouTube)
Tuesday: NBL Overtime (Spotify, YouTube, Wed on ESPN and Kayo)
Wednesday: NBL Today Podcast; The Jump 8.30pm on ESPN and Kayo
Thursday: The Huddle (Spotify, YouTube)
Friday: NBL Today Podcast (Spotify, YouTube)
Saturday: The Crossover (x time on ESPN and Kayo)
And whatever day the Maley podcast is etc.

They have so much good content that I actually love consuming it in various ways: whilst at the gym on YouTube because they have YouTube on the equipment screens; Spotify before bed or on the train; Kayo whilst in the loungeroom.

Make it easy for people to have one place to identify what the content is, how regular it is and where to get it.

If you have it on the nbl website or can, then do it and list it as an actual category option for an easy find.

They should also have a category option for the documentaries they have!

Simple/easy things: make it super duper easy for people to know what content you’re making, where & when.

Reply #906552 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

The afl do bother to list their content, albeit not overly well: https://www.afl.com.au/matches/broadcast-guide/television-programs

Reply #906553 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

It's the same but I hate it when the nbl kill all their stories like they did to their old website from 2003 to 2009.

There is so many old nbl stories that never got catched which was a massive issue for finding historical nbl information like awards and old game reports with crowds etc.

The new website is basically the same.

This, it's such a travesty.

Rob Burton (son of Rick?) you need to resurrect all the old content.

Why it was deleted in the first place is beyond me.

Reply #906559 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

It's confusing why the NBL removed many of the old articles. I wonder if the league can restore any of it’s old links back.

I’ve been using any links which have been catched by the WayBackMachine, very handy but there’s so many other articles dead linked.

My only concerns are the older standings need to be fixed and all the defunct teams need logos please Rob. Wikipedia is your best friend then your media team could edit them into those’s square logos with primary team colours. Also team pages need more info like arenas, championships and captains would be also good to add.

If you look at the 2011/12 ladder it needs major fixing because there’s double ups of teams.

Plus give Wollongong Hawks their old logo and have the Melbourne Tigers logo for Tigers so it doesn’t get mixed up. The logo when Gaze retired in 2005 is a good one or the logo I’m using from 2006. Singapore would be easy since you just need the white Lion head which is already online, Titans, Dragons and Razorbacks will be easy too Rob.

All the best and can’t wait till it’s all updated and improved.

2011/12 standings error source: https://nbl.com.au/stats/standings?season=524

Reply #906614 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Oh forgot Townsville logos and Gold Coast Blaze's logos are easy to find. Most logos on Wikipedia anyway. A website I found even has the Frankston Bears old logo.

Reply #906615 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

I believe the NBL has most, if not all, of the logos from past teams/seasons.

I spent a lot of time going through old media guides and tracking things down and I actually have all but four or five of the logos ever used in the league, all in vector format. Pretty sure the league itself was working on the same thing in parallel though.

Reply #906631 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

That's cool, I could only find a few media guides but none after 2014 season. League needs to add the logos of the defunct teams on their website.

Reply #906636 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I recall they stopped producing media guides after a certain point in time so that's probably why.

Reply #906643 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

They had media guides for 2021 and last season. There's not one this season sadly.

https://nbl.com.au/pages/media-guide

Reply #906644 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

So they were reintroduced for a couple of seasons.

Reply #906652 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Media guides were definitely canned at one stage.

Reply #906653 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Oh forgot Rob, could you please upload the NBL23 Media guide when you get a chance, thank you.

Reply #906761 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

@robburton1986 have a look at the BBL website. They have a great history section which the nbl is missing badly for all their teams.

Source: https://www.bbl.org.uk/history/

Reply #907436 | Report this post

Reader  
Two years ago

"The feedback above is fantastic and really keen to hear thoughts on how we can improve things further moving forward.

Thanks so much,
Rob.

NBL GM Digital & Content"

I would like to see the stats section improve. The boxscores could also use an update - they've had the same layout since memory. Just my opinion, but the ESPN ones look a lot cleaner:

https://www.espn.com.au/nbl/boxscore/_/gameId/401470548

Reply #907812 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Rob seems to have disappeared.

Reply #907813 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

He'll be back. On leave ATM.

Reply #907816 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Am I being thick or ???

I'm trying on my iPad to compare the average assists per game for each NBL team - I want to see how Adelaide compares with the average - and I can’t find it easily using the website. The only way I can (probably) get it is by adding up the totals for each player for each team.

The website doesn’t seem very user-friendly if I want the ladder, remaining games for any team (it seems to stop short of the end of the season), stats across the teams, ...

Reply #909683 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Last year

Hoopie - you're probably better off using the SpatialJam site for the stats you're after. It's light years ahead of the NBL site's stats. e.g., the per game team stats are there, along with the corresponding per game stats for each team's opposing teams, which is nice. There's a heap more. Have a look and see if it works for you. It's at https://spatialjam.com/nbl-historical-stats

I rarely use the NBL site since it changed. All I want it for is to look at results, live scores and ladder but I can't do that on my old iPad. The site gets trapped in repeated reloads without ever rendering the game slider and most of the front page content. Doesn;t matter what browser I use, so I think it must be an incompatibility problem between the older iOS and the new site's design.

So I use other sites instead, which work fine on the old iPad (ESPN, livesport, etc.). And I occasionally have a look at the ladder on the NBL site on my PC.

Reply #909718 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Thanks, PJ

Reply #909720 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

Rob, the new standings still need fixing. The normal team logos will work because most old logos you can attached. The 2006/07 standings are wrong since Adelaide 36ers finished 11th with 11-22 record not 12-35 when it was a 33 game season.

Pos Pld W L GF GA PP PCT
1 Brisbane Bullets 33 28 5 3804 3326 114.4 84.85
2 Melbourne Tigers 33 25 8 3453 3228 107.0 75.76
3 Perth Wildcats 33 23 10 3331 3113 107.0 69.70
4 Sydney Kings 33 20 13 3236 3119 103.8 60.61
5 Townsville Crocodiles 33 19 14 3626 3516 103.1 57.58
6 Cairns Taipans 33 17 16 3292 3284 100.2 51.52
7 South Dragons 33 15 18 3418 3514 97.3 45.45
8 Singapore Slingers 33 13 20 3297 3435 96.0 39.39
9 Wollongong Hawks 33 11 22 3237 3395 95.3 33.33
10 New Zealand Breakers 33 11 22 3382 3538 95.6 33.33
11 Adelaide 36ers 33 11 22 3326 3555 93.6 33.33
12 West Sydney Razorbacks 33 5 28 3221 3600 89.5 15.15

Head-to-Head between Wollongong Hawks (4-2), New Zealand Breakers (4-2) and Adelaide 36ers (1-5).
Wollongong Hawks won Head-to-Head (2-1).

Reply #912841 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

That's one lengthy leave period.

Reply #912847 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

@robburton1986

The NBL classic games are all down.
Can you report it please, thanks.

Reply #919458 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

No none of the past nbl replays work.
Wanted to watch nbl21 game but won't load.

The website is stuffed.

Reply #920688 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

I don't think it's an accident, I think they've been pulled deliberately.

Reply #920692 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Is there a planned relaunch?

Reply #920776 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

They hid the links to the classic games years ago, but it was still accessible if you already had the URL bookmarked. I'm surprised given the Kayo deal that games continued to be uploaded. Little surprise that it's all gone now.

Real shame, the Classics library was great. I loved being able to dig into old games, and the league's history has really not been put out there the way it should be. They then went through that run of uploading games to YouTube every week, along with an interview with someone relevant, but that's ceased as well.

Reply #920805 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Good summary.

Their lack of consistency is frustrating.

Reply #920821 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

Lack of history is terrible in the NBL. Now the bloody standings from 2016/17 are stuffed. They say Perth, Sydney both lost 28 games from 2012/13 seasons lol! 8-)

2006/07 standings also bug me since Adelaide were 11-22 not 12-23!

Reply #933183 | Report this post

Statman84  
Last year

Funny you mention stats @NBLTigers.

I emailed the NBL today and asked them if the person they hired for the Statistical Archiving position will be cleaning up the missing/incomplete boxscores.

I await their reply.

Reply #933225 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Slocombe is sorely missed

Reply #933226 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Rob Burton unsurprisingly didn't get back to us.

Reply #933258 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:24 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754