HoopsTragic13
Last year

Biwali Bayles Released

https://twitter.com/NBL_News/status/1614046886457135104?s=20&t=h2AWIeD6Suwa-Hunl0phzg

Anyone have any more info regarding this ?

Topic #50784 | Report this topic

Yup  
Last year

He's not released - it’s paid leave - he and chase not getting along...

Reply #909209 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Makoi has taken his minutes and seems to slot in more naturally to the offense than Bayles. He hasn't been on the bench lately so I expected something what up/happening. I hope he finds a spot somewhere, he showed some flashes pre-injury. Shame it wasn't a release because I think the Hawks could do worse than roll the dice on him.

Reply #909211 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Doesn't Bayles still have another year to go on his 3 year deal?

Reply #909215 | Report this post

HoopsTragic13  
Last year

Ok just realised it's Paid Leave, still a valid question as to why he is on Paid leave- rather unheard of in the NBL.

Reply #909217 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

He plays iso, I mentioned this a few weeks back somewhere with out any inside information. Buford is a team first guy, but it's his way or the highway. This is how success is built, Gleeson, Bevo, Goorg, all the winning coaches follow this. Illawarra certainly don’t need that sort player.

Reply #909218 | Report this post

retired  
Last year

He is not the easiest player to work with and do not be surprised if he possibly ends up in Wollongong where his previous junior coach(Jackomas) is the Head Coach.

If things don't go his way he spits the dummy.

Reply #909257 | Report this post

Jatz  
Last year

He may be having hassles with the coach but without really knowing it sounds a bit like he has some personal issues. Why would he be on paid leave otherwise? He could still be training & be around the team or his contract paid out & then terminated. Kings say they will help him ongoing with his career so seems a personal issue to me. Good luck to him. Hawks could do with him

Reply #909286 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Why do everyone think players should go to hawks. Hawks need top quality players with high iq, there bench is deep enough.

Reply #909291 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Hawks don't have the finances to afford top quality players. Given Jackomas used to coach him the Hawks would be the perfect spot for him to try and get his career back on track.

I remember there were concerns about his maturity/attitude when the Kings signed him after only playing one year in college in Hawaii I think. Three years seemed a bit of a gamble but sounds like they will work with his next team to facilitate the move.

Reply #909298 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Hawks got a super wealthy owner, he just needed time after goorg mate left. They will spend next season on quality, not on other sides left overs.

Reply #909301 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Well there's been no money spent on the team this season replacing a guy like Reath with Mathiang and signing other teams cast off imports. Even Jackomas himself would be an ultra-cheap hire compared to Goorjian.

Just because an owner is quite wealthy doesn't mean they're willing to spend on their sports teams, look at the Miami Heat one of the richest owners in the NBA in Micky Arison and he's always run them on the cheap.

The Hawks disastrously poor crowds this season combined with being loaded up with Monday night games doesn't at this stage suggest their owner is planning to open his wallet.

Reply #909304 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

He's spending, believe me. As I said he had nothing much to do with them due to goorg mate running things but checked it out and he’s all in. Maybe Bayles should sign at Sixers, he prefers the that sort game, free flowing non structured.

Reply #909308 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Hawks got a super wealthy owner, he just needed time after goorg mate left. They will spend next season on quality, not on other sides left overs.

Mate left = Kordahi, right?

NBLTigers mentioned in a another thread the owner also purchased a stake in Bay Area Dragons so in theory he has plenty of funds available.

Reply #909317 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Kordahi, yes that's him, not certain on spelling.

Reply #909323 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

Ummm, when has Arison been known as cheap? He's known as one of best owners about, hands off and lets Riley run things. When Pat wants something, Arison just signs the cheque. One of best franchises about in all sports. Just because he doesn't overpay for players doesn't mean they're cheap. They tanked pre LeBron but structured those contracts so they could sign big 3.
Let Wade walk but wasn't value for money at that stage, ironically for Tyler Johnson from memory. But they brought in Shaq, Big 3, paid Herron and others recently.

Reply #909339 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Ummm, when has Arison been known as cheap?

You mean to say you don't know anything about his extensive history of stuff he's done to try and get the Heat under the luxury tax over the years?

This is all the moves they did one season to get under the tax:

http://heathoops.com/2016/02/miami-heat-drop-below-the-luxury-tax-with-two-trades/

That doesn't even include the years of P.J. Tucker, Beno Udrih and Mike Miller (which essentially drove LeBron back to the Cavs).

Reply #909345 | Report this post

Interpreter  
Last year

Definitely going off-topic, but those trades by the Heat seem like reasonable moves to avoid the repeater tax when they had zero chance of competing for a championship post-LeBron. Even with all the cash included in those trades they saved $37 million by effectively exchanging role players and second round picks.

Reply #909348 | Report this post

Dew95  
Last year

Hey Dunkman, great news for our Hawks if you are sure the owner is full on in. Love to see the Hawks with money invested again like the previous year.

Reply #909356 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

Uh, ok. Losing Miller drove LeBron to Cavs, that makes sense. More like Riley wasn't going to put up with his crap, (see Cleveland stints and currently Lakers).
The article you posted just seems like smart moves to avoid unnecessary luxury tax. Mentions Riley made those deals, nothing about Arison being involved.
Meh, way off topic but way wrong about Arison.

Reply #909370 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:57 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754