Anon
Last year

United @ Breakers may not go ahead

Flash flooding in Auckland overnight. According to reports NBL to assess this morning.
Airport has been closed to all flights.

Topic #50832 | Report this topic

Anon  
Last year

Looks like it's going ahead

Reply #910393 | Report this post

Jatz  
Last year

Not much quality 1st 1/4. United 19-10.
Breakers 4/18 from the field. Hope it gets better. Field shooting abysmal

Reply #910409 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Very nice start by united, lead by nine at 1/4. NZ shooting very poorly.

Reply #910410 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Good game happening here, quality defence, both side missing shots. United by three. Both sides so well coached

Reply #910411 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Breakers by two at 3/4 time, good game, so far these refs have been great.

Reply #910412 | Report this post

Breakers just wearing United down.

Reply #910414 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

United season is done. Phoenix and Tassie are in.

Reply #910415 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Now it's all about Perth, Tassie and Phoenix jostling for the fourth spot

Reply #910416 | Report this post

NZ and Cairns still in a battle for second as well.

Reply #910417 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

XRM just doesn't get the ball to the right places, really good six man but no point guard.

Reply #910418 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

I like the dude but Abercrombie is cooked. Will this be his final season?

Reply #910419 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Perth have the potential to drop all 3 and Melb beat Adelaide and we can still see united in Finals.

Reply #910420 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Perth will beat cairns at home. They have won the last 14 against the taipans

Reply #910421 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Abercrombie does everything you don't get stats for, great D, help out D, hand in the lanes, yes his shot isn’t as good as it was but he’s still very valuable. Coach isn’t playing nearly 28 minutes because he’s rubbish.
United gone now unless there is miracle, first they would need to smash Adelaide and JJs would nee d to lose to hawks. Perth would need to lose all three which is united best chance, as they are all tough games.

Good game,breakers play a tough team oriented game, if they’re close at 3/4 time they can mow you down.

Reply #910422 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

Rupert did himself nothing but favors in front of all the scouts today. Abercrombie either needs to retire or play a limited bench role.

Reply #910423 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Last year

Abercrombie had one of his better games statistically. He scored 2 points in 28 minutes. Which is worse than me in Wednesday night B league.

I don't mind him on the team, but Ruper and even gliddon offer far more, and the minutes should reflect this.

If we swapped Abercrombie minutes for Rupert we would be winning the league.

Still breakers get a big and enjoyable win. Loe massive and then Brantley came right in the 2nd half.

Reply #910427 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I'm glad Maor is coaching NZ and realises that defence wins matches. I’ll stick with Abercrombie. If a few other coaches in the league had followed this they could be in finals race, Brisbane and Adelaide for a start.

Reply #910428 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Last year

Rupert is a better defender than Abercrombie.

Reply #910431 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

United are 11-3 with Ili, 3-10 without. That says it all.

Reigning DPOY and unlike XRM he's pass first.

I'm not really disappointed if United misses playoffs. They've had a reasonable season given the injuries.

Hukporti wants to come back and will be next star. Okwera might break out next season. United should contend again

Reply #910450 | Report this post

JMS  
Last year

With finals looking unlikely it will be an interesting offseason for United. Agree that without Ili the team just doesn't have the right balance. With repeat concussions is his place next season in doubt? If so I assume they push hard for a return by Delly, however on a reduced salary surely. Jack White likely to stay in the US? Peatling while he provides good hustle just continues to make dumb decisions, tries too much and turns the ball over continually. I’d be looking to resign Lee with a Hukporti combo at the 5. Humphries out of contract? Move him on go mine, too injury prone. Keep Tucker and XRM off the bench (pending Ili/Delly).

Reply #910458 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

After today either Tassie will be 14-13 equal with Melbourne, or Perth will be 14-12 with the top two teams to come. Phoenix will be 15-13 if they lose to Sydney.

Any of those three could still miss and Melbourne are still well and truly alive playing Adelaide next week. They might have to beat them well for % but that's possible.

Reply #910464 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Melbourne united are not making it. Stop reaching

Reply #910479 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Hahaha! If Perth go 1-2 and Melbourne beat Adelaide then likelihood is Melbourne get in. That's not a reach. It's out of their hands though.

Reply #910483 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

If my auntie had balls she would be my uncle bro

Reply #910485 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Have you checked?

Reply #910488 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Melbourne percentage isn't getting them in. Now if Adelaide capitulate and Melbourne win by 50 things could change.

Reply #910489 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Melbourne are only 0.87% behind Perth, which is approx 20 points. If the Wildcats go 1-2 and -10 in those three games then United only have to win by double figures.

To overtake the Phoenix they'd need Sydney to beat them by 20-odd and then beat Adelaide by 25+. To pass Tassie they'd need Perth and Illawarra to both beat them.

Reply #910490 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

^^^
Yes on reflection you are probably right, I think it gets down to Perth or Melbourne for last spot.

Reply #910493 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Yeah you'd think so unless the Phoenix have a real bad one today. It could be that Melbourne beat Adelaide next Sunday and then Perth have to beat Sydney in the last game of the season. That would be a finale!

Reply #910494 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Hahaha! If Perth go 1-2 and Melbourne beat Adelaide then likelihood is Melbourne get in. That's not a reach. It's out of their hands though.

Agreed, it's not a given for Perth and their nasty end-of-season Strength of Schedule is coming into play now - imagine if they lost to Sydney two weeks ago!

Reply #910495 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Tassie will beat Illawarra so they'll finish above United

It's between United and Perth for 6th.

Sports history is full of examples of minor premiers losing dead rubbers in final rounds. If Sydney goes into that final game in Perth having top spot wrapped up, then Perth wins that.

So unfortunately Perth much more likely than United.

Which is a real shame, cos United at full strength were probably the 2nd best team after Sydney this season.

For Ili's sake, I hope he's ok. And for United, his future is the shadow hanging over the club's future.

Reply #910497 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Perths win over United when united chucked that win away could be the crucial game.

Reply #910499 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

100% Dunkman

Reply #910502 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

United have quietly been the form team since mid-December so it would be a shame if they missed out.

Reply #910532 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

United were only ever going to be a fringe playoff team this season. They had way too many outs late in the off-season to their Aussie core in Delly and Jack White getting NBA call ups that they had to try and replace with imports in XRM and Caroline. Throw in the season ending injury to their back up centre in Hukporti before the season even began and they were never going to be a powerhouse team this season.

Way too many guys on this United roster that would struggle to make another NBL team's roster guys like Newley, Barlow, Maluach, Okwera even Barker, who was admittedly signed as an injury replacement. Big cleanout coming up for United in the off-season and wouldn't be surprised to see both Delly & Jack White back again next season.

Reply #910537 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Ladder filtered by Form/Last 10:

1. MEL 8-2
2. SYD 7-3
3. CNS 7-3
4. TAS 6-4

Reply #910538 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

United are 9-3 in their last 12. 8 of those 12 away games

The 3 losses were

- the one they threw away in Perth and lost by a point

- Yesterday in NZ, missing Ili, led for most of the game and lost by 6

- Christmas Day in Sydney, missing CG43 and well beaten

Pretty clearly they're a team who should be in the semi finals if they're healthy.

But even if they sneak in, I suspect Ili's on ice til next year

Reply #910544 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

Bad seasons happen like this. What I'm disappointed is that why doesn’t the league play more games?

36 regular season will balance out the evenness of this competition.

I can’t stand how Cairns get Brisbane 4 times a season, Sydney getting Illawarra and Adelaide with Perth. Just make the fixtures even in the first place since we only have ten teams in this comp?

The NBL should be playing their season in late September till late March, play finals in early April.

Reply #910578 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

^^^^^
Yep, plus if they don't want 36 rounds, play 27 where all teams are even playing each three times, rotate the home and away year to year.

Reply #910580 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

October-to-Feb with playoffs finishing early March is the way to go IMO. Maximises exposure and crowds.

Reply #910581 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

United were definitely disadvantaged this year, with Ili and Peatling being out early while United was playing more games than anyone else

But it could go the other way next year, eg if someone gets injured in January we're not disadvantaged as much

Reply #910599 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

Not sure if anyone caught it but after the game mody called vickerman the best coach in the league and said they do things the right way. A clear middle finger to buford. If they were to meet in the finals things between the coaches could get pretty feisty!

Reply #910732 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

There's some people who aren’t fans of Vickerman’s substitutes but can’t blame him when players need rest, it won’t work if they’re gassed out.

The early injuries and late outs with Delly, White were hard ones to swallow.

I can’t believe United need to beat the Sixers by 38pts with 110pts or under. Perth may split their games I feel, too rocky of a season.

Reply #910735 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

If Perth split their weekend and are in the negative overall, say -5 across two games, then if Melbourne win by double figures they'll leapfrog them.

Reply #910737 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Perth will probably win both

Sydney has very little to play for

Reply #910815 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

I feel United is done once I heard Vickerman on 1116 SEN about Shea being most likely out.

Reply #910816 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

If New Zealand beat Illawarra then Cairns could rest some of their guys who are playing injured given there could be a short turnaround between the end of the season and the 3v4 finals game.

Reply #910818 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:17 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754