Anon
Last year

Simon Mitchell steps down as Phoenix coach

https://nbl.com.au/news/simon-mitchell-steps-down-as-phoenix-coach

Topic #50933 | Report this topic

BeeGee  
Last year

You'd have to think they have someone decent in mind? Have SEM achieved over/under expectations given their roster? I would have thought roughly on track?

Reply #912720 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

I'd say they’ve under achieved based on what they’ve spent.

They had nice toys for a few years now but they have never fit and Mitchell hasn’t been good enough to make it work.

Mitchell’s first year was good, he manufactured some wins against much more talented teams but I think a change is the right move, obviously they need to find the right guy to replace him

Reply #912722 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

They were very good at times this year when fit, Mitchell was definitely the victim of some bad luck, but if they can get someone good this is probably the right move.

Reply #912723 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

Getting Creek was a massive step initially for his on court stuff. Could build the roster around him and he is flexible that they could be creative with signings. Broekhoff sounded like a coup but is really held together by sticky tape these days. But having Terangi, Adnam and Pineau as relatively important contributor's in their scheme just seems they haven't grown. And imports seemed like a turnstile every season, at least with Williams coming back it can give some continuity.
Don't think Mitchell did an overly terrible job, just not a great one. Give him a C grade.

Reply #912724 | Report this post

wildcat  
Last year

Chance to make the move?

Reply #912729 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Can you step down from a job you're not under contract for?

Reply #912730 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Judd is my guess.

Reply #912732 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I thought he did well, had rough hand dealt to him re injuries, probably a little too loyal to some local players re time on court. He certainly came across as a quality person with his heart certainly in the right place.
Interesting times ahead for SEM now re team selection and coach. Imports are always important but it's the quality of your locals that’s really important, just look at Sydney now and Perth previously.

Reply #912733 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Just to think, if not for a 10 minute Jock Landale shooting streak Phoenix very likely wins a championship in their second season.

But have to agree this is the right decision. Mitchell not quite up to it, after 4 years it's time for new direction.

Reply #912734 | Report this post

Interpreter  
Last year

My main criticism is that in 4 years, SEM's defense was below-average every season. I liked some of what Mitchell was trying to accomplish offensively and had enough talent to work with, but he couldn't demand enough of the players on the other end.

Reply #912735 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

If the head honchos want a degree of continuity then Judd would be a good get.

If they want a change, might Pero Cameron appeal (with the chance of bringing his son in at some stage), or even Gleeson?

Reply #912736 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

Sounds like the right move for both parties. SEM have done an excellent job in the community and reasonable on court job considering they're 4 years in.

With Mitchell was a good dude, accessible with media and star player Creek liked him, their defense was bad each year and on court results middle so would give him a par considering a new franchise.

They should be aiming to get a coach to take them to be a United/Sydney/Perth (a contender year in year out unless injury hits).

Reply #912737 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

For me, Mitchell did a good job and I feel like you could do a lot worse when considering future positions.

They dealt with a number of injuries this season, but would have still been disappointed to not advance.

I don't think SEM were ever truly in the mix (as a genuine favourite) for any championships so far, so had some good achievements in pushing Melbourne (I think it was) in the semis and getting close to a GF series.

I think they were a good team to watch mostly, and SEM seems to have established itself with fans etc.

Ultimately, you can't coach a team forever and change is usually inevitable.

I hope he gets another gig somewhere else soon, because I think he has lots to offer second time round.

Reply #912739 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Short memories here

The year Landale destroyed SEM in a final, they actually spent most of the year in 2nd spot, most were expecting an all Melbourne GF.

The ass fell out the last few rounds and they dropped to 4th! Cats and Hawks got 2nd and third.

Sure they got close to United that year but the reality is it was a disappointment they slipped to 4th, SEM's poor season end resulted in the drawing the favourite in a knockout series!

Reply #912753 | Report this post

JMS  
Last year

Late in games this season it looked like SEM were playing not to lose, not a great sign and they invariably choked on many occasions. This unfortunately sits with the coach I feel.

Reply #912755 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Yup, Are you referring to my post? If so, I remembered it spot on. SEM pushed the eventual champion in a semi final series and that is what I said.

Your further context doesn't really devalue anything anyway, as being 2nd for the majority of a season still points to some kind of competent coaching.

If you mean the fact that SEM under Mitchell were prone to falling off when it counted, then that is fair enough of course.

I just think he did a reasonable job as the first coach of a new team, but I completely understand why there might be a mutual decision to move on.

I don't think he over achieved or anything, but a lesser coach could have done much worse.

As far as I can remember, SEM were always a threat and were fairly decent to watch, and they did have lots of injury disruptions this year but still managed to make the play in.

I just think it was a solid few seasons and that Mitchell seems to have lots to offer as a relatively new head coach.

Reply #912756 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Not specifically at you fella, when teams fall apart towards the end of the season it's normally because the rest of the league has figured them out, this is another way of saying they are out coached!

The reality is they have prolly spent the 2nd most on the roster over the last 3 years

Reply #912757 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Yup, I also missed your missed your first post in the thread that had a bit more balance, apologies.

Reply #912758 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

One finals win in 4 years, with the money they have spent, isn't gonna cut it...

Reply #912759 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I agree about playing not to lose.

I also felt that in many games in the last quarter their imports didn't seem to know what to do to close things out, and they either went iso or went missing mentally.

I’d put that on the coach too.

Reply #912760 | Report this post

Simon will no doubt move on to bigger and better. Wonder what the playing group feel? I assume they were asked.
One of the not so glittery parts of being a coach I guess.

Reply #912766 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

[The year Landale destroyed SEM in a final, they actually spent most of the year in 2nd spot, most were expecting an all Melbourne GF.]

Not true

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E2%80%9321_NBL_season

They were never higher than 3rd.

But after signing Broekhoff they showed glimpses in the 2nd half of the season. With all Perth's injuries, it was clear whoever won UTD-SEM would likely win the title. SEM led by 17 during the 3rd quarter of game 3 before Landale took over.

SEM also led by 13, I believe, early last quarter vs Perth in the knockout playoff this year.

Their defense and their finishing of big games are the two things they could never work out, and ultimately the reasons that ended Mitchell's tenure.

Reply #912770 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

^ Although, arguably that series should never have gone to 3

Landale was dominant for that entire playoff series- semis and GF- the exception being Game 2 vs SEM where the refs pinged him for a few ridiculous soft fouls and he sat for half the game. If not for that bad reffing, United would've finished SEM in 2.

But the fact remains SEM won, and they were good enough to have United absolutely on the ropes and fighting for their lives in Game 3. Until the brilliance of Landale dragged United back.

Reply #912771 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

I take that back, Landale actually fouled out in 13 minutes!

https://basketball.realgm.com/international/boxscore/2021-06-13/Melbourne-at-South-East-Melbourne/383961

Reply #912772 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:52 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754