PyroCross
Last year

2023 Free Agency Predictions

With free agency set to start on Thursday.. where do we think the following local FAs (or likely released players) are going to go?

Will McDowell-White
Keanu Pinder
Bul Kuol
Isaac Humphries
Todd Blanchfield
Daniel Johnson
Tai Webster
Jason Cadee
Mitch Norton
Anthony Drmic
Majok Deng

HAve excluded a number of locals (Abercrombie, Loe, Broekhoff, Pineau, Travers) who are most likely going to re-sign with their existing teams.

Topic #51006 | Report this topic

Saint23  
Last year

Bullets
Todd Blanchfield WMW Norton

Hawks
Humphries Cadee

Kings
Majok Deng DJ Pinder

Wildcats
Bul Kuol

Taipans
Anthony Drmic

36ers
Tai webster

Reply #914847 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

Dear Sixers,

Forget Webster.

Get Kuol.

Reply #914851 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Perth Alex Ducas, Angus Brandt ( yes Angus Brandt) Kyle Bowen

Reply #914852 | Report this post

Saint23  
Last year

jimmyhooper
is Wagstaff returning or retiring.

Reply #914854 | Report this post

DreamShake  
Last year

Unfortunately, I predict the Taipans get cleaned out. Though with the number of options not taken up, are they secretly more confident than this pessimistic supporter presumes? Only time will tell...

Reply #914856 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Brandt hasn't played for a while in his d-2 team in Japan, I’m thinking he been injured, he’s no spring chicken anymore. Would be excellent backup centre though.

Reply #914857 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I'm thinking WMW and Pinder stay at their existing clubs.

Reply #914858 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Last year

Will McDowell-White - NZ (re-sign)
Keanu Pinder - Europe
Bul Kuol - Sydney
Isaac Humphries - Adelaide
Todd Blanchfield - Brisbane
Daniel Johnson - Perth
Tai Webster - Adelaide
Jason Cadee - Cairns
Mitch Norton - Brisbane
Anthony Drmic - Tassie
Majok Deng - Melbourne

Reply #914859 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Wagstaff has plenty of stuff going on off the court so I don't know but JR really loves him so who knows. I think he might go on again if he chooses to go on. The Cats will leave it up to him

Reply #914863 | Report this post

CT  
Last year

Doubt you'll see Norton, blanchfield, cadee etc. at the Taipans. Coach Forde has been vocal about wanting to go younger ratherthan bringing in player who are at the end of their careers. I'm sure this is why they let Deng and merko go. My guess is Lat Mayen gets pushed up in the rotation before they'd ever buy in a similar player and play them ahead of him.

Reply #914864 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Cairns likes Norton and he will be close to home as well. The interest is mutual. Brisbane I guess could be another logical choice

Reply #914865 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Last year

WMW - Tas

Reply #914868 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

WMW, definitely back at breakers.
The Webster's may put up numbers, but do they make their teams in better.
Could see Humphries in Sydney but they may give Hunter a chance as starter and use import spot to find a Cooks replacement.
Pinder would be good in Perth, think he would struggle in Sydney.
Wouldn't mind Blanchfield in Adelaide as well as Pineau, Drmic to Tassie. Kuol to Brisbane.
DJ to anywhere.
Cadee to Hawks.

Reply #914870 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

I think WMW will stick with the Breakers to develop for at least another season.

I've heard rumors that the Breakers and Hawks are in discussions with Finn Delaney.

Reply #914878 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

United looking at Delaney as well.

Reply #914881 | Report this post

An1234  
Last year

Jo Lual Acuil is back in Melbourne United.
Perth have a French Next Star big lineup up.
Sam McDaniel to Brisbane.

Reply #914883 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Will McDowell-White - NZ
Keanu Pinder - Sydney
Bul Kuol - United
Isaac Humphries - Hawks
Todd Blanchfield - Brisbane
Daniel Johnson - Perth
Tai Webster - Adelaide
Jason Cadee - Tasmania
Mitch Norton - Cairns
Anthony Drmic - Tasmania
Majok Deng - Hawks

Reply #914886 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Yes WMW is staying in NZ.

Reply #914892 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

News Corp mentioned Luke Travers a possibility at United

JLA, who knows, will he take another pay day or come home?

Reply #914893 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

I thought I saw Travers re-signed with Perth on Twitter.

Reply #914903 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

I thought I saw Travers re-signed with Perth on Twitter.

Reply #914904 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

No thanks to Norton in Brisbane. Even at a drastically reduced price, doesn't fit a need apart from being a body.

Reply #914907 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I could see Cadee at Adelaide, no way at Tasmania, doesn't defend well enough for Roth.
Agree re Deng at hawks and Johnson to Perth.
I think Perth will be stuck with Norton, Blanchfield is a 50/50 chance of also staying. Neither player will want to take a pay cut.

Reply #914910 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Not sure I could see Cadee coming back to the Sixers, if Tai signs he would be coming off the bench and not sure he would be keen on that especially on a non-contender.

Agree re: Norton. Two years ago he was being chase by Tassie after they missed out on Delly and he squeezed a 3 year deal supposedly for good money out of Perth and with the way he's played since he knows he's never going to get that kind of money again. Best option would be to stay in Perth no Tai potentially no Zunic too and might get the opportunity to rehab his stock.

Blanchfield I think might be more likely to leave despite the 2 years remaining. He showed in the FIBA qualifiers he can a still play at a reasonably high level and would probably back himself to have bounce back year somewhere else and go on with it from there. Plus he's played on plenty of NBL teams all over the country so he's not afraid of having to pack up and go elsewhere.

Reply #914912 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

"if Tai signs he would be coming off the bench"

Sounded like they'd be going with Tai as an alternative to an import PG, ie not off the bench

Reply #914914 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Zodiac meant: "If Tai signs (Cadee) would be coming off the bench"

Reply #914916 | Report this post

Saint23  
Last year

i hope teams are speaking to Dwight Howard and Hassan Whiteside

Reply #914919 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Deng big chance at SEM now Kelly head coach.

Reply #914928 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Ah, yeah wouldn't care to see cadee return to be honest. Definitely wouldn’t have cadee as anything but a bench player in Adelaide if he did.

Reply #914933 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Any signings yet?

Cadee will get a job somewhere, to many friends in the business, I'd see it at a very reduced rate. Still has talent, defensively though still not great.

Reply #914936 | Report this post

Scout  
Last year

very quiet out there........

Reply #914938 | Report this post

GordonG  
Last year

"very quiet out there........"

Think you'll find that contracts have to be approved by NBL before an announcement can be made. So probably everyone is scurrying around like mad behind the scenes, may not see anything confirmed for a couple of days.

Reply #914940 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

There are usually announcements within minutes of free agency opening, despite the fact that no teams ever engage in any conversation with free agents before the deadline.

Reply #914942 | Report this post

Scout  
Last year

Travers on the move.

Reply #914946 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

Travers move will be interesting. Seemed like the Cavs instructed the Cats to use him as a PG as much as possible. Not sure other clubs will want to do this.
He's extremely talented but he's never going to be Giddey-type PG.

Reply #914948 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Didn't Lachy Reid say on Channel Ten just the other day that Travers was as good as signed?

Reply #914950 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

He did. He's usually pretty reliable too.

Ouch.

Reply #914951 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

From "as good as signed" to "officially out the door" in two days.

Either Lachy whiffed really badly or it's more of a shitshow in that office than we suspected.

Reply #914960 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Where's Travers supposed to be heading?

Having him be a primary ball handler wouldn't be desirable/conducent for any team with finals aspirations, one would think. Limits his options in the NBL if that's what it's gonna be.

Reply #914964 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Both Phoenix and United are in the race for Travers so is the Jack jumpers but I think he will end up in Victoria.

Reply #914967 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

He will decide after summer league where he ends up.

Reply #914968 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Not sure that's a good idea if that is what Travers is intending to do. I'm sure the Cavs would prefer that but his chances of making their team are virtually nil. By the time SL finishes most teams would've signed their quota of locals and just keeping money inside for imports. He would likely end up having to settle for a lot less money and take a back up role on a team willing to have him.

Strike whilst the iron's hot young fella.

Reply #914979 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Are they though? If he can hit .350 or so from 3 (which I think he can) the rest of his game translates pretty well to the NBA - even if it's a 5/10% chance of sticking, worth rolling the dice on your dream. Someone will throw coin at him if he doesn't stick even if it's outside of AU, and a smart NBL team would keep money aside if that scenario eventuated.

Reply #914980 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Last year

If you were going to keep a slot open until July you'd have to be basing your 2023-24 planning around him and 2 imports...and to bring in a third import if he was to get an NBA gig.

Reply #914981 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I don't think an NBL team would be keeping that kind of money aside especially for someone who isn't a game changer like him. I'm sorry I just don't see it with Travers, I see a solid NBL player with no NBA future whatsoever. He's not good enough at anything just tall and athletic and the G-League is full of guys like that. Plus the Cavs are a good team aren't they? Maybe if a crap team had have drafted him then a chance but not a playoff/contending team.

The hype on him is pretty much sky high right now use that to lock in a big money NBL contract, with NBA outs and then go play SL and let the chips fall where they may. Of course the Cavs don't want him signing a new NBL deal first in case they might have to pay buyout money if they decide they like what they see.

Reply #914982 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

"If you were going to keep a slot open until July you'd have to be basing your 2023-24 planning around him and 2 imports...and to bring in a third import if he was to get an NBA gig"

Exactly this. Not a bad gamble for the smaller market teams IMO.

Reply #914984 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Kings normally out the box very quickly, nothing so far.

I believe it's going to be very hard for sides to stay in salary cap as players are going to put hand out for more money, certainly the good to top six, seven types of players.

Reply #914985 | Report this post

Saint23  
Last year

First signing CAmeron Flynn nz pg

Reply #914986 | Report this post

Saint23  
Last year

Melbourne united 3yrs

Reply #914987 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Travers is 21

Travers or more advanced that Mitch Creek was at the same age

Reply #914989 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Tai Webster will re- sign with Perth on a 2 year deal

Reply #914990 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Great get for United. Travers was badly misused by Rillie. He will be a defensive giant under Vick

Reply #914991 | Report this post

Scout  
Last year

Curious where Travers ends up.....hearing JJs could be in the frame.

Reply #914992 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Jimmy, travers hasn't signed with united. Saint was referring to Cameron.

Fwiw I think travers will sign with united

Reply #914993 | Report this post

forwhatitsworth  
Last year

Jimmy, if true, don't think Webster and Webster in the back court for Perth would be a great start to fix the defensive problems and regain that hard nosed culture at Perth!!

Reply #914994 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Scout It's Phoenix, United and Jumpers. If I was a betting man it’s probably United but with Kelly in phoenix now it’s even money bet. Kelly has taken like under his wing for the last two years and is solely responsible for Luke’s improvement in shooting the three ball.

Reply #914995 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Tai is staying in Perth now. I had heard he was going back overseas but it seems Perth has offerd him a 2 or three year deal. Enough to secure his services.

Perth are also going to get younger and better interms of shooting if Ducas and Bowen signings eventuate

Reply #914996 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

First signing CAmeron Flynn nz pg
Cameron Flynn is a 5'11" WA-based guard playing for the Perth Redbacks NBL1 women's side.

Flynn Cameron is a 6'4" NZ-based guard who has just signed with Melbourne United.

Reply #914997 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

Keeping Tai and losing Travers.

The Wildcats just go from strength to strength.

Reply #914999 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Losing travers was not by choice

Reply #915000 | Report this post

Johnson14  
Last year

The Hawks are making a signing announcement tomorrow and my guess it's Cadee as he was strongly rumoured to be expected to sign with the Hawks.

Reply #915002 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

Pero's son Flynn is a great pickup for United.

It will be interesting if the NBL can lure back any of the Kiwi's or Australian's playing in Europe or Japan.

Reply #915010 | Report this post

Scout  
Last year

Isaac White to Brisbane on a 2 year deal - along with McDaniel, the have done well.

https://twitter.com/MickRandallHS/status/1641555462339567617

Will be a different line up for the JJs next season.

Reply #915012 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Hawks signed Lachlan Olbrich. The Sixers missing out on this local kid is terrible.

Reply #915014 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Last year

That's up there with the botched signings of Newley and Ingles. Mind boggling how this continues to happen.

Reply #915016 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Olbrich was a DP with the 36ers two seasons ago, sucks he didn't come back home but I'm not sure I would be comparing the loss to that of Ingles or Newley.

FWIW, a lot of ex-36ers DP's floating around the NBL at the moment.

Nick Marshall, 36ers
Michael Harris, Perth
Ben Ayre, Cairns
Isaac Gattorna, Sydney
Lachlan Olbrich, Hawks
Alex Mudronja, Hawks
Kyle Adnam, SEM Phoenix

Reply #915023 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Second day in and still no signings, better raise the cap before more and more head OS.

Reply #915028 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Olbrich nice signing for the Hawks

Reply #915030 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

There is no cap, just a point where, if you haven't used your exemptions well enough, you have to pay a % fee to the league.

It would be interesting to see data on how much $$ teams are spending, as opposed to the $ values being assigned to their roster that was leaked to Logue.

Reply #915031 | Report this post

Baller  
Last year

Tre Armstrong is finished in college guaranteed to sign with jack jumpers apparently Tassie really wants to sign his brother taran to replace magette as starting point but may struggle as apparently the kings are into him big time . From reports there is decent nba interest in him and he is undecided weather to nominate for the draft or stay in college apparently he is also considering coming home for a season then nominating the following year

Reply #915033 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Wouldn't be the first time an inferior brother has been signed by a team to try and get to their real target the other brother. The Cloke's come to mind at Collingwood in the AFL, but even in the NBL Callum Baynes at the Bullets likely laying the foundations to lure Aron when he was done in the NBA. Jarred Bairstow at the Bullets too when Cameron was playing in the NBA.

Reply #915038 | Report this post

Scout  
Last year

Baller - hearing both Taran and Tre Armstong to the JJs.

Reply #915039 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I hear you re there being no cap, but that looks after the top tier players, it's the middle tier players that every team needs to be successful that are looking elsewhere, players like Drimic, Krebs, plus plenty more who shop around try to get more money and some teams would be very happy to pay more but are tied by salary cap.

Reply #915044 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

I'm not sure those are the guys going OS though. In terms of top-end talent, I feel it's more about what teams can afford given their ability to use marquee spots and also pay players more than the $$ value that gets assigned to the cap.

Reply #915045 | Report this post

Baller  
Last year

Would be great I hear tre is very close to signing Roth has been and seen him a couple times since his been home . What have you heard about taran ? I thought he was still undecided on his options apparently the kings are still really keen on him as well . If he does sign for jack jumpers magette definitely won't be back . Will be interesting I think taran could be a future star in the nbl if he doesn’t end up getting drafted as some point

Reply #915046 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Last year

With a sale of the JJs on the cards, you'd think Larry and Liam (and to a lesser extent Roth) wouldn't want to let Taran end up with another NBL team.

Reply #915048 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

@Scout - Brisbane signing White and McDaniel is fairly underwhelming, unless they're expected to be 5-10 minute players.

Reply #915050 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Disappointed to see Olbrich go to Illawarra. Not many 6'10 South Aussies with his skill level. I’m curious if the Sixers had an opportunity to sign him and didn’t, or if they weren’t even aware he was leaving college?

No room in Sixers backcourt for Isaac White right now, but would like to see him in Adelaide once McCarron or Dech moves on. He might be undersized, but he competes hard, can shoot and handles the ball well. I reckon he’d be a cult favourite in no time in Adelaide!

Reply #915065 | Report this post

Ski 61  
Last year

Isaac White hates the 6ers, think he wanted to play there after college and they had no interest in him, that could be wrong though.
Shame about Olbrich. Pretty curious to see how the 36ers fill this roster out because it's pretty bloody empty.

Reply #915067 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

I get the feeling this will be a disappointing off-season for the 36ers.

No interest in prevailing SA talent, no interest in paying up for Drmic to stay - and we are talking a team like JJs, not a rich club splashing cash because they can.

No interest in keeping DJ but there's no apparent get-able option to replace him, meaning at best we can have one decent big and another "serviceable" big if we are absolutely lucky.

They could have just retained last years’ side minus Sotto and replacing Franks with a defensive big and Clark with an import point guard....

Reply #915071 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

And Marshall in for Acouth.

Reply #915072 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

I agree KET it is looking very disappointing. If Sixers can't pull a rabbit out of a hat then it looks like CJ and Sixers have stuffed up again.

Reply #915073 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

I did hear that before Ski 61. If true, I hope he doesn't still feel that way. Different coach and management now to the ones that snubbed him. The Sixers have got to do better at identifying local talent. We've basically missed out on nearly every talented player this state has produced since Brett Maher!

Reply #915074 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Since Joey went, Sixers struggled on picking all talent bar one or two.

Reply #915075 | Report this post

Jonno  
Last year

There has been talk of Mathiang and Pinau joining the 36ers, as replacements for DJ and Accouth.

Whilst I wanted to keep Drmic, I can understand not wanting to spend more on him given we already have McCarron, Dech, Cleveland, Marshall in the SG/SF spots. They probably wanted to keep him but needed to spend the money elsewhere in the end, especially after not being able to move McCarron.

It sounds like they are aiming for something like

Mathiang/Pinau
Franks (or replacement import)/Galloway/Harris
Cleveland/Marshall
McCarron/Dech
Dynamic scoring Import PG /?? Zunic

Which is better balanced on last season, espeically if Mathiang can improve and get back to his pre injury European form and if they get the import PG spot right, I'd be aiming for as close to Walton or Jaylen Adams as possible.

Reply #915079 | Report this post

Baller  
Last year

To be fair tre will be a solid nbl player just not a star definitely earn his keep. But obviously taran has elite potential with his passing ability of the charts

Reply #915082 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Interesting Jonno! I wouldn't mind seeing Pineau here as a reliable bench big. Unless Mathiang magically learns to play defence, I wouldn't want him anywhere near Adelaide though. He was AWFUL last season. Makes DJ look like Hakeem in comparison!

Reply #915083 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

Abercrombie has signed with the Shanghai Sharks for the rest of their season with a team option for next year which effectively ends his tenure with the Breakers

Reply #915086 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

That's a shame. Reckon we can pull a 400th game out of the bag somewhere?

Jonno, out of interest, where did the rumours come from?

Reply #915087 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Sounds April foolish to me

Reply #915088 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Pinder to Perth or April fools?

Reply #915090 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Abercrombie news has to be April Fools. Pinder... I'm guessing true

Reply #915091 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Pinder to Perth is legit. There is Tai re-signing next with Ducas and Bowen. Perth are going to be far more athletic and better at shooting team with Ducas who might be a one of the top three point shooter next season .

Reply #915092 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

McDaniel confirmed at bullets, good signing re the defensive end.

Reply #915104 | Report this post

Saint23  
Last year

heard today WMW is next to be signed by the wildcats

WMw
Cotton

Peatling
Pinder

maybe starting lineup

Reply #915108 | Report this post

Jonno  
Last year

Perth may be looking something like

Pinder/Gak
Import/Peatling/Okwera/Bowen (?DP)
Import/Ducas
Cotton/C Webster
McDowell-White or T Webster/?

Manek may actually fit ok into that PF spot next to Pinder, rumoured to have some interest in bringing him back (I personally would look elsewhere)

DJ Hogg would be a great import to get for this team IMO.

Reply #915117 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Rhys Vague to SEM?

Reply #915127 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

If Perth are signing WMW, why would they keep Tai Webster?!

Reply #915128 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

WMW to Perth must be a joke if they paid Pinder money already.

Reply #915129 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

The 'news' came out before noon on April 1, remember

Reply #915130 | Report this post

Jonno  
Last year

Exactly, they likely wouldnt, that why it says OR between their names, as I'd say its likely they have 1 of them.

Reply #915131 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Beantown, I don't mind the idea of Mathiang to the Sixers actually. He was pretty crap for the Hawks the first half or 2/3 of the season but started to string some decent games together in the last 1/3 of the season.

He's finishing the season in Israel I think on the same team as Cleveland and I'm pretty sure I read he had some monster game over there like 20 & 20 plus 4 or 5 blocks. The Israeli league is a comparable standard to the NBL so recent form looks promising.

I'm not a big fan of Pineau but given our historic lack of defence at the five he would likely fit in perfectly plus doesn't need the ball offensively.

I would be quite happy if both of those signings come to fruition wait and see I guess, the Tai Webster rumour scared the shit out of me though lol

Reply #915140 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

I must admit, I didn't see much of Mathiang late in the season. Watched him get destroyed over and over again early in the season. Didn't seem big enough to defend big men at the rim and wasn't agile enough to keep anyone in front of him on the perimeter!

Not many realistic or good Aussie big men options for Sixers though. Humphries could be decent, but I suspect Sixers ownership wouldn't entertain a second stint with him after they paid him a huge amount, only to see him sit out most of the season when we desperately needed him!

Kay and Wetzell seem to be beyond the Sixers reach based on comments here and I think Gak seems destined for Perth? I think they'll have to find an import centre and if Franks leaves, use his slot on a gun point guard.

They really should try to bring back Drmic if they can too. He wants to be here, competes hard and is a far better shooter than McCarron or Dech. It's not like there is a lot of better guys out there the Sixers can sign in his role!

Reply #915144 | Report this post

Ratty Mussell  
Last year

Im surprised that Makur Makers name has not being mentioned given his size and shooting ability .

Reply #915149 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I would love to see Drmic back but I think that ship might've sailed all the talk has been he's definitely leaving. Wouldn't blame him either given how well the club's been run over the last 4-5 years and I remember last time he left the talk was the club refused to even offer him a contract, told him and Harry Froling they were both no longer required.

I kind of suspect he might've only really come back to improve his stock to get a better deal somewhere else.

Humphries might be worth a look at if he came at half the price he was on last time but still a huge risk. Missed 2/3 of the season in Year 1 and 3/4 of the season in Year 2. You can't work with that especially when the guy is on $400k p.a.

On Mathiang one thing to keep in mind too before this past season with the Hawks he hadn't played a pro game in about two years due to serious injuries. He was always going to take some time to get back and start off real slow. But prior to that two years out injured he had a pretty successful time in Europe and even played in the NBA briefly 5-6 years ago.

Reply #915150 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Makur Maker wasn't all that impressive as a NS a couple of seasons ago with the Kings. He was okay but the Maker's all seem to get hyped too much above their station.

Reply #915151 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Saints23 is spot on regarding Peatling. He seems pretty much guaranteed to sign on with Perth. The WMW as Olgun mentioned is really close mates with Pinder but honestly I think he stays in New Zeland

Reply #915152 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

With White, didn't the Hawks contact him after he transferred from Stanford and was looking at returning for college before that? Unless he had some contact with Sixers about a similar deal and was knocked back then or even after his rookie season.
The whole CJ saga continues to hurt Adelaide, is he staying or going? That's going to affect a lot of free agents looking around, especially young ones that want minutes to improve. Definitely held Sotto back, maybe Olbrich thought the same thing.
Just based on the last couple of years shit shows, if I'm a player with another option apart from Adelaide, I'm choosing the other option. Unless it's another overspend injury prone role player.
As for Travers, there's a big hole at Sydney he would fit into immediately playing a similar role as Cooks.
And Pinder did well in a small market, had some expectations in Adelaide, coaching and role may had to do a lot with production. But now as a premier signing at a big club, will he continue his Taipans form.

Reply #915173 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Last year

With the signing of John Bannan (Olgun) - have Brisbane just locked in their roster?

Baynes / Harrison
Mitchell / Bannan
Import / TBD (Drmic?) / Stattmann (DP)
Sobey / McDaniel / Diing
Import / White

I don't see Tyler Johnson being back in this lineup..,

Reply #915180 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

It seems the Hawks are doing a better job of recruiting from US Colleges than the Sixers are! Sounds like they talked White into coming home and have now done the same with Olbrich.

Is there no-one at the Sixers keeping tabs on US College players so that the club is aware when players are interested in joining the NBL? (Especially when its talented South Australians?

White especially led SA to an u20 national title (the only one in recent years?) and graduated from Stanford in 3 years! He's obviously a smart guy and you can see how much he improved under Scott Roth last year. It really frustrates me seeing him snapped up by Brisbane when the Sixers are desperate for an Australian who can actually put the ball in the basket!

Reply #915188 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

I think if WMW stays in the NBL it will be with Maor and the Breakers.

He won't be in a rush to sign and will be sifting through offers from Europe, Japan and probably looking to play NBA Summer League.

Reply #915244 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Okwera has signed with Perth for three years according to nbl. Com. Not surprising. He and Peatling are strongly linked to the Cats for a few days now

Reply #915286 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

excellent news if it's true Okwera seems to be able to do it all and is super athletic

Reply #915287 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Playing for Sandringham in nbl1, a minus 41 start in a loss. While the kings play run, run, run, they also play D, cats had better not for get this in their recruiting.

Reply #915295 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Massive loss for United

Okwera has real potential

Reply #915302 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Crappy off season for United so far, missing Bannan and losing Okwera

Reply #915303 | Report this post

Scout  
Last year

Waiting for a flurry of activity.

Hoping the JJs pick up Doyle, Drmic, Armstrong brothers and a gun 4/5.....not hoping for much!

Reply #915311 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

It feels like Adelaide has done its dash - other clubs are far more proactive this season.

If you're going to be slow and steady wins the race, you need to be like Sydney and be confident in your core and retain most with a tweak here and there.

Instead, Adelaide are letting Drmic go, and sounds like they don’t want DJ or Franks around. You’d think no Acouth etc.

In which case, they need to be a little more proactive....

Reply #915315 | Report this post

NP  
Last year

KET apart from the Pinder signing to Perth who's really moving the needle so far?? Brisbane got a nice rookie. Not much is happening.
Adelaide in the mix for Humphries and or Mathiang.

Reply #915321 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Absolutely love Perth off-season restructuring of their frontcourt to a more athletic defensive team. Once they sign Peatling he will give them more grunt and rebounding as well. Ducas with more shooing from the three position

Reply #915322 | Report this post

Saint23  
Last year

cairns signing foward sam mennenga

Reply #915324 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Assuming that Olgun, Santa etc are reflecting things reasonably - as they usually do, I'd say we’ve heard positive proactivity from all clubs over the 36ers except for NZ and Cairns where we haven’t heard much.

Perhaps 36ers are quiet about their chases, but it doesn’t sound like Adelaide are positioning themselves to be competitive next year.

Not sure how I feel about Mathiang to be totally honest. It’s hard because he clearly wasn’t at his best last year, atleast early on in his season.

Reply #915330 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

NZ won't be making any moves till the White situation is resolved. I don’t see him moving . I think once he re-commits then I suspect the Breakers will probably be seeing what they need to upgrade. Their defense was phenomenal last season so if they bring their imports back and upgrade their auxiliary pieces they will be in a great spot

Reply #915331 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Absolutely love Perth off-season restructuring of their frontcourt to a more athletic defensive team. Once they sign Peatling he will give them more grunt and rebounding as well. Ducas with more shooing from the three position

Agreed. It feels like SEG are starting to turn the corner.

Reply #915346 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

Adelaide in the mix for Humphries and or Mathiang.

Please God do not bring Humphries to Adelaide again.

I will say the necessary prayers and incantations just not again.

Reply #915349 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Where are these 36ers rumours about Mathiang, Humphries, Zunic, Pineau coming from?

I've been following just about every bit of Olgun, Logue, Marketplace, NBL today, oOertime and have heard nada. Perhaps I’ve missed a show or article!

What’s the anxiety about Humphries? Is it injury/cost?

At a reasonable cost, and if the 36ers are capable of managing him well to avoid major injury, I’d love to see him back to be totally honest.

Reality is the 36ers lacked critically and fatally exactly what he offers: good defence, rim protection AND he can contribute on offence more than sufficiently.

Having no desire to retain DJ - unless he was going to demand big $$$ or was acting out behaviourally, is silly in my opinion. Effective bigs are hard to find, and he’s too talented to not try and fit into a side.

Last year they had him with Franks and Sotto. It was a dumb stupid dumb dumb dumb dumb balance. With no Sotto and probably no Franks, DJ is an entirely different proposition. I’d have thought Humphries, Import PF, DJ, Pineau (or Harris) and Galloway would be a nice balance.

What happens if Adelaide doesn’t manage to pull off Mathiang or Humphries?

Do we try to the silly and ridiculous and have MM, Dech, Cleveland starting 1-3 with imports filling 4&5?

Reply #915353 | Report this post

NP  
Last year

Aussie hoopla and Mick Randall for both Humphries and Mathiang

Reply #915354 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Humphries has always been a highly paid player, he does not come cheaply.

Reply #915355 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

What's the anxiety about Humphries? Is it injury/cost?

Its both. For the 2 years with Adelaide he was the highest paid player only to be pipped by Jock Landale.

In those 2 years he probably played about half the games and basically derailed the 2 campaigns because so much was spent on him and he was injured so much.

We have been there and tried it, didn't work, let's try something else.

Reply #915359 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

I can't really think of better options than Humphries that are remotely attainable, especially if Mathiang goes overseas instead.

Reply #915364 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Peatling in a suprise move to Illawarra

Reply #915366 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Good opportunity for him in Illawarra. Not sure I'm sold on him as a starter level player though.

Reply #915368 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I thought Peatling did quite well filling in for an injured Jack White a couple of seasons ago but without him there this past season he must've thought he deserved to be starting. He could potentially do very well at the Hawks.

Reply #915371 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Peatling started a good few times in a very strong team, doesn't normally finish in tight game though, which I believe is the best way to judge. A good pickup, will work hard, do the right things, not convinced it’s a game changer for the hawks though.

Reply #915372 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Last year

Looks like Tyler Robertson (Portland Pilots) may be signing with Tasmania JackJumpers.

Reply #915373 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Not sold on Peatling as a starter either, but can be a solid rotation player in the NBL, doing grunt work, the "one per centers". A good aim for him would be to do those same things he's done at United, but raising his output and playing 20 minutes a game instead of 10-15.

Reply #915375 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

I think if Peatling's on your bench your frontcourt has good depth, if he's a starter you might be struggling for depth. Of course, if he has four good starters around him and he just has to defend, rebound, screen and hit the odd shot, he can do that and complement those guys well.

Reply #915376 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Apparently United have won the race to sign Luke Travers

Reply #915381 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

No surprise there, Luc - money to spend and a quality coach.

Reply #915383 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Disappointing as a Cats fan that he's gone, but happy as a Travers fan that he is going somewhere that will continue his development as a player.

Reply #915384 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Travers probably hoping United can turn him into Jack White. They might, I think it's a better situation for him re: his possible NBA prospects than with how the Wildcats used him.

Reply #915385 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

If Travers left the Cats because he wants to be the main man, how is that going to work on a team with CG43, one would think high end imports and potentially JLA?

Reply #915387 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

United had been linked with LT since the season officially wrapped up.. Vickerman will ultimately utilise his defensive prowess which is a lot into a defensive monster.

It'll be interesting how they utilise him on the offensive side of the ball

Reply #915392 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Luccc if it's a choice between Pinder or Travers the cats made the right choice

Reply #915394 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

I don't think he wants to be the man necessarily, but he wants to be able to play more of a role that will develop his skill-set for the NBA - handle the ball more, and become a consistent impact defensive player. I think the defense stuff really suffered with the slip in team defense from the Wildcats over the past few seasons.

Even if Travers never makes the NBA I think it's likely he winds up the best local in the league by the time he's 27/28. Big loss for Perth - Pinder helps make up for it of course, but in the long-term I think Travers will end up being a more dominant player on both ends by the time he's the age Pinder is now (28 by start of the season).

Reply #915395 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Lovebroker Goulding is a catch shoot player that does his majority of stuff off the ball to get his shots. He dosent need a huge usage rate like Bryce does. I'm playing devils advocate here

Reply #915396 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Smart by Travers not going to NBA SL without a big money NBL contract in his back pocket. I still don't quite get the hype with him but at least we'll know now if he's legit or not. Good idea to get out of Perth away from friends and family to get him out of his comfort zone, he's backing himself at least.

Reply #915400 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

ESPN are reporting that WMW has signed on for 2 more years with NZ, second year is a player option and there's the usual NBA out clauses in case he can snag a deal after summer league.

Reply #915404 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Happy for NZ to have retained him.

Reply #915405 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Never beloved he was ever contemplating leaving New Zeland

Reply #915408 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

Man I hope the news on WMW is true!

Reply #915416 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Never beloved he was ever contemplating leaving New Zeland

It didn't make sense so he was obviously just driving up his price.

Reply #915436 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Last year

Could Cam Oliver replace Robert Franks?

Reply #915437 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Don't tease us like that Antantant

Reply #915439 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

This talk of everyone wanting Travers is absolute rubbish. There's barely anyone chasing him and he needs a huge year to retain any hope of an NBA contract. He needs a good season more than teams need him.

His best bet would be to join the breakers but I hope we don't sign him. There's 50 guys coming out of college every year better than him

Reply #915481 | Report this post

Ballman  
Last year

Travers should try for the G-League. Closer to the style of play in the NBA I would think.

Reply #915483 | Report this post

Saint23  
Last year

image Jacob wiley and cam oliver 4 5 for the 36ers would that be a good fit

Reply #915488 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Perth sign Ducas, a good pickup.

Aren't there any other promising Aussie kids coming back from college who are worth a punt, or have we talked about them already?

Reply #915514 | Report this post

CRAYFISH  
Last year

Where is the Ducas news confirmed or being spoken about?

Reply #915516 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Wiley could not defend a sao.

Reply #915517 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

I mentioned ducas a week so. Bowen is the next target. I had heard bowen was also considering taipans but I think he will eventually sign with Perth.

Reply #915518 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Michael Harris re-signs with Perth for 2 years, one more year as a DP and then comes on to the roster in 24-25.

Reply #915524 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

Looking like so far

Cairns Taipans
Tahjere McCall, Jonah Antonio, Bul Kuol, Lat Mayen, Sam Mennenga, Sam Waardenburg
Import/
McCall/Antonio
Kuol/Mayen
Mennenga/
Waardenburg/

Brisbane Bullets
Nathan Sobey, Isaac White, Sam McDaniel, DJ Mitchell, Josh Bannan, Aron Baynes, Tyrell Harrison
Import/
Sobey/White
Import/McDaniel
Mitchell/Bannan
Baynes/Harrison

Sydney Kings
Shaun Bruce, Jackson Makoi (Development), Dejan Vasiljevic, Angus Glover, Jaylin Galloway, Kouat Noi, Jordan Hunter
/Bruce/Makoi
Vasilijevic/Glover
/Galloway
/Noi
/Hunter

Illawarra Hawks
Justin Robinson, William Hickey, Tyler Harvey, Daniel Grida, Wani Swaka Lo Buluk, Harry Morris (Development), Mason Peatling, Lachlan Olbrich, Sam Froling
Robinson/
Harvey/Hickey
Swaka Lo Buluk/Grida
Import/Peatling
Froling/Olbrich

New Zealand Breakers
William McDowell-White, Alex McNaught (Development), Izayah Mauriohooho-Le'afa, Cameron Gliddon, Thomas Abercrombie, Daniel Fotu, Tom Vodanovich
McDowell-White/McNaught
Mauriohooho-Le’afa/Gliddon
/Abercrombie
/Vodanovich/Fotu
/

Melbourne United
Shea Ili, Flynn Cameron, Josh Duach (Development), Chris Goulding, Zac Triplett (Development), Ariel Hukporti (Next Star)
Ili/Cameron/Duach
Goulding/Triplett
/
/
/Hukporti

South East Melbourne Phoenix
Owen Foxwell, Reuben Te Rangi, Mitchell Creek, Rhys Vague, Alan Williams, Anzac Rissetto (Development)
/Foxwell
/
/Te Rangi
Creek/Vague
Williams/Rissetto

Tasmania Jack Jumpers
Sean MacDonald (Development), Clint Steindl, Jack McVeigh, Jarred Bairstow, Fabijan Krslovic, Will Magnay
/McDonald
/
/Steindl
McVeigh/Bairstow
Magnay/Krslovic

Adelaide 36ers
Jason Cadee, Mitch McCarron, Sunday Dech, Nick Marshall, Antonius Cleveland, Kyrin Galloway, Robert Franks
Import/Cadee
McCarron/Dech
Cleveland/Marshall
Franks/Galloway
/

Perth Wildcats
Mitchell Norton, Kyle Zunic, Corey Webster, Bryce Cotton, Michael Harris (Development), Todd Blanchfield, David Okwera, Jack Andrew (Development), Keanu Pinder
Webster/Norton/Zunic
Cotton/Harris
/Blanchfield
/Okwera
Pinder/Andrew

Free Agents
Guards: Tai Webster, Taran Armstrong, Kyle Adnam, Ben Ayre, Jarrad Weeks, Emmett Naar, Kruz Perrott-Hunt, Lachlan Barker, Alex Mudronja, Tad Dufelmeier, Lachlan Dent, Biwali Bayles, Tamuri Wigness, Marshall Nelson, Robbie Heath
Wings: Luke Travers, Ryan Broekhoff, Tanner Krebs, Yudai Baba, Anthony Drmic, Mojave King, Alex Ducas, Brad Newley, Matt Kenyon, Junior Madut, Makuach Maluach, Kuany Kuany, Kody Stattmann, Dion Prewster, Brendan Teys, Jordan Ngatai, Gabe Hadley, Ethan Rusbatch, Corey Shervill, Dexter Kernich-Drew, Mirko Djeric, Rasmus Bach, Kendall Stephens, Sam Short, Tre Armstrong, Isaac Davidson
Forwards: Brock Motum, Isaac Fotu, Finn Delany, Majok Deng, Deng Adel, Craig Moller, Deng Deng, Jesse Wagstaff, Harry Froling, Hyrum Harris, Grant Anticevich, Lual Diing, Venky Jois, Dillon Stith, Keli Leaupepe, Kyle Bowen, Emmanuel Malou, George Blagojevic, Daniel Trist, Jack Purchase, Max Darling
Bigs: Duop Reath, Jo Lual-Acuil, Yanni Wetzell, Thon Maker, Isaac Humphries, Daniel Johnson, Zhou Qi, Mangok Mathiang, Makur Maker, Angus Brandt, Kai Sotto, Gorjok Gak, Rob Loe, Matt Hodgson, Callum McRae, Dane Pineau, Majok Majok, Tohi Smith-Milner, Sam Timmins, Akoldah Gak, Callum Dalton, Deng Acouth

Reply #915533 | Report this post

Pat Bev  
Last year

Yeah Travers is a huge Mummys boy and a Rocco boy, so he wont be away for too long. He will dev his talents with MU and might even get a NBA call up- but when he hits his peak he will be back with the Cats as their marquee player.

Reply #915534 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Excellent job the Baskets 91.

Some very average and very good free agents there, I can see the better one's returning OS which is a shame.

Reply #915536 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

Thanks some definitely will be overseas as is the nature of the business!

Reply #915538 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

I see Yannick Wetzel there. Is he unsigned? Would be a very good signing

Reply #915564 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Wetzel playing out of Berlin, I would think his pay packet would be far to big for nbl clubs, even as a marquee.

Reply #915567 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:56 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754