Fox trot
Last year

NH Norwood bid to join AFL

Just heard that Norwood is putting together a bid for entry into AFL as a third SA team

Why can't we get the same level of support for another Adelaide team in the NBL?

Topic #51013 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Last year

I'm a third-generation Norwood supporter but I can't see much chance of this happening. Port Adelaide, our arch nemesis, always had the biggest supporter base in the SANFL so tried to enter the AFL in 1990, which as I understand it was effectively blocked by all the other SANFL clubs.

That lead to the formation of the Crows which was basically all the other SANFL clubs amalgamating together to get a team into the AFL before Port did, which happened in 1991 and then Port finally got their own team the Power into the AFL in 1997.

If you're Norwood supporter pretty much by definition you're also a Crows supporter like I am as are most non-Port SANFL club supporters. Obviously pre-Crows some older SANFL supporters also had a VFL they supported in my case as a kid it was St. Kilda until the Crows came in.

Therefore I just can't see the supporter interest in this. The SANFL is run these days closer to amateur level than AFL level and even though Norwood are considered the most professional and financially successful of the independent SANFL clubs it's coming from a low base.

Reply #915036 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Hell no.

Reply #915040 | Report this post

curtley  
Last year

Something almost no one realises is that sometime in the mid eighties the SANFL and WAFL came within a whisker of merging into one league to take on the then VFL. Had that happened the current AFL would look completely different and Norwood would probably already be there. There may even be two divisions of 16 teams each.

Reply #915051 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Surely an April fools day joke

Reply #915052 | Report this post

curtley  
Last year

I'm not a SANFL officionado but after Port aren't Norwood the second most hated team?

Reply #915060 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

If Tasmania are struggling to get in I'd say Norwood have no chance

Reply #915061 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Norwood already called this out as false

Reply #915062 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Last year

So how many local SA players are in the 36ers now?
How many would be in our 2nd team?

Would they struggle to get a decent crowd?

Reply #915069 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

The discussion is AFL Hanging Around

Reply #915070 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Last year

Sebastion
Check the original post -
NBL is Basketball

Reply #915159 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Nice to see my Sturt get the win lastnight!

Reply #915493 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:59 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754